[Solong] Not exactly a folksong puzzle..

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Solong] Not exactly a folksong puzzle..

Postby Solong » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Steve improved his social life tremendously by using this one simple trick.
Not only that, it probably saved his life.
Solong

Re: [Solong] Not exactly a folksong puzzle..

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Is this anything to do with those stupid 'one simple trick' ads on t'internet, like, melt your belly fat blah blah?
'Saved his life' as in, he would have died if he didn't do this thing? Re 'probably', might he have survived if he didn't do this thing?
invisiblemimsy

Postby JenBurdoo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:02 am

Did he sing or play music? Is folk music relevant? Did he have a relevant talent? Did he do something in front of groups of people? In public?
JenBurdoo

Postby Solong » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:32 am

Is this anything to do with those stupid 'one simple trick' ads on t'internet, like, melt your belly fat blah blah? I was inspired to set it up that way, but nothing directly to do with that. However, our hero did use a 'simple trick.'
'Saved his life' as in, he would have died if he didn't do this thing? Possibly a bit of an exaggeration.Re 'probably', might he have survived if he didn't do this thing? Yes, he might have.
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:36 am

Did he sing or play music? The puzzle is based on a song, his musical talent is n.r.Is folk music relevant? No. Did he have a relevant talent? No. Did he do something in front of groups of people? In public? He did nothing except to be visible.
Solong

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:45 am

Was the song about death? Actual or theatrical? Was what he did something which would possibly save his life or that of another person, or appear to? Was he a ‘spotter’ for someone who was doing something dangerous?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Solong » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:56 pm

Was the song about death? Indirectly - about depression which might lead to suicide.Actual or theatrical? Theater n.r., though the song might have been performed at one.Was what he did something which would possibly save his lifeIn the sense it kept him from suicide, yes. or that of another person, or appear to? mostly in appearance. Note: this is another one of my patented silly puzzles.Was he a ‘spotter’ for someone who was doing something dangerous?No.
Solong

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:06 am

Was it a blues song? Was it in a musical? Do we need to work out the actual song? Was he actually in danger of committing suicide? Was he feeling suicidal in the literal sense? Was it one of those situations where you go, "OK, I'm going to kill myself now" jokingly? Was he pretending to be suicidal?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Solong » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:48 am

Was it a blues song? Was it in a musical? No toboth.Do we need to work out the actual song?No, just what it was about. Was he actually in danger of committing suicide? Was he feeling suicidal in the literal sense? Was it one of those situations where you go, "OK, I'm going to kill myself now" jokingly? Was he pretending to be suicidal? In the context of the puzzle/song, he was not joking, but you might say he was over-reacting. As I said, it's a rather silly song and a rather silly puzzle.
Solong

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:30 am

Was a magic trick involved, or any other meaning of the word 'trick'? He = HAM? Does he relevantly have a name? is this something that did happen or could happen? Karaoke relevant? A pop song, nursery rhyme, party/celebration song, other type, relevant?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Solong » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:10 pm

Was a magic trick involved, or any other meaning of the word 'trick'? No.He = HAM? Yes. Does he relevantly have a name? Yes, and his given name was 'Steve' or 'Steven.'is this something that did happen He did write the song. or could happen? What happened in the song could happen. Karaoke relevant? No. A pop song, nursery rhyme, party/celebration song, other type, relevant? It was a pop song of its time. Not a folk song, because the author is known.
Solong

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Did he sing the song himself? With other/s? Relevant who sang the song? Was it a silly pop song? Was he famous? As himself? Did he play a part? Was it the M*A*S*H theme song, "Suicide is painless"? "Lily the Pink" by the Scaffold? Was he an alcoholic?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Solong » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:53 am

Did he sing the song himself? With other/s? n.r. Relevant who sang the song? Might be relevant the type of singer who sang it.Was it a silly pop song? Of its time, yes. Was he famous? As himself? Yes to both.Did he play a part? He was not an actor.Was it the M*A*S*H theme song, "Suicide is painless"? "Lily the Pink" by the Scaffold? Good ideas, but no.Was he an alcoholic?n.r.
Solong

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:39 am

Was it Stephen Hawking? Didn't he sing the Monty Python universe song?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Solong » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Was it Stephen Hawking? Didn't he sing the Monty Python universe song? One learns something new every day. But no, not him.
The puzzle is about what 'he' (the protagonist of the song) did, not about who wrote the song. You might be able to figure that out if I gave you hints as to time & place. I guess I shouldn't have named 'him' after his creator.
If you want hints, I will supply them. Just ask.
Solong

Postby JenBurdoo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Was the song set in a particular time and place? Was its protagonist native to that time and place?

Asking about the song's protagonist here:

Was his job relevant? Did he see, hear, feel, taste or smell something relevant? Did he enlist in the army? Travel somewhere? Change his actions? His attitude? Was he about to commit suicide, then turned back?
JenBurdoo

Postby Solong » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:30 pm

Was the song set in a particular time and place? By implication; no particular, specific time/place mentioned.Was its protagonist native to that time and place? Yes; assume it was contemporary with the writing of the song.

Asking about the song's protagonist here:

Was his job relevant? No; no job mentioned.Did he see,thisish hear, feel, taste or smell something relevant? all these n.r. Did he enlist in the army? n.r. Travel somewhere? n.r.Change his actions?Yes, in one very specific manner. His attitude?His attitude was changed, but that was more a result than a cause. Was he about to commit suicide, then turned back? Yes.
Solong

Postby Solong » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Want a re-cap? You're getting one anyhow.

RECAP
The puzzle is inspired by a song, which is not a folksong, because the author is known. The song is not of recent origin.

I probably should not have named the song's 'hero' after his creator, 'Steve.' Call him anything - 'Bill' for example. Bill was feeling very depressed, even suicidal, when a well-wisher (unnamed) gave him some advice. Acting on that advice, Bill made a simple change, which turned his life around.
Happily ever after for all concerned.
Solong

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:44 pm

was the song written and performed/ recorded in the: 21st century? 20th? 19th? 18th? 17th? earlier?
in: North America? South America? Europe? Asia? Africa? Australia/Oceania? Antarctica? by a penguin? a kitteh? a soli-kitteh?
was it performed by the person who wrote it? (or the penguin? or the kitteh?)

was the solution to the depression acquiring penguins? kittehs? plushies?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Solong » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:01 pm

was the song written and performed/ recorded in the: 21st century? 20th? 19th? This. 18th? 17th? earlier?
in: Northp America? This.South America? Europe? Asia? Africa? Australia/Oceania? Antarctica? by a penguin? a kitteh? a soli-kitteh?
was it performed by the person who wrote it? (or the penguin? or the kitteh?) n.r. Since the author was a popular songwriter, probably many people performed it.

was the solution to the depression acquiring penguins? kittehs? plushies? The solution was acquiring something, DOYD of 'acquiring.' Not the examples given.
Solong

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:16 pm

so the song was written and performed in the 1800s? in North America? would that be in the USA? Canada? Mexico? another country?

is slavery relevant? was the author of the song a slave? a slave owner? gospel music relevant?

is the song still commonly performed today?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Solong » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:09 pm

so the song was written and performed in the 1800s? in North America? would that be in the USA? This. Canada? Mexico? another country?

is slavery relevant? No.was the author of the song a slave? a slave owner? gospel music relevant? n.r. to all

is the song still commonly performed today? No.
Solong

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:33 pm

hmmm...
so it's not exactly a folksong, gospel music n.r., slavery n.r.

is the Civil War relevant nevertheless? did this song come about during the presidency of:
Jefferson?
Madison?
Monroe?
Adams? (Jr. XD)
Jackson?
Van Buren?
Harrison?
Tyler?
Polk?
Taylor? (Was it Tyler or Taylor who has two living grandsons still? o.O)
Fillmore?
Pierce?
Buchanan?
Lincoln?
Johnson?
Grant?
Hayes?
Garfield?
Arthur?
Cleveland?
Harrison?
Cleveland (again)?
or McKinley?

so many presidents during the 19th century o_O
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Solong » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:37 pm

is the Civil War relevant nevertheless? The song was written in 1864, during the CW, but the war, Abe Lincoln, Jefferson Davis, or anybody or anything else to do with politics at the time is irr. So is any other 19th century president.
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Hint: Forget about the author of the song and concentrate on the 'hero' of it. In the song, he was feeling very down and depressed, until a well-wisher made a suggestion. He followed it, and found his life much improved, in one way especially.
It is significant that he is a HAM.
Solong

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Was the well-wisher also a HAM? HAF? Related to the hero?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Solong » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:14 pm

Was the well-wisher also a HAM? HAF? HAM, and this is not wholly irrelevant. Related to the hero? n.r.
Solong

Postby Solong » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Hint: Our 'hero' was depressed by his love life, or lack thereof. He 'cured' his problem by doing something a HAF could not do - at least most of they couldn't.
Solong

Postby GalFisk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:50 am

Did he change his appearance? Attitude? Friendships? Personality? Did he look for love in other places? By other methods? Did he stop looking and concentrated on improving other aspects of his life? Did he take up a hobby? Job? Did he save his life because his depression got less severe? Because someone relevantly was around when his life was in danger?
GalFisk

Postby Solong » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:11 pm

Did he change his appearance?YES. Attitude? Friendships? Personality? any change in these was caused by his change in appearance. Did he look for love in other places? By other methods? No to both. Did he stop looking and concentrated on improving other aspects of his life? Did he take up a hobby? Job?No to all. Did he save his life because his depression got less severe? Because someone relevantly was around when his life was in danger? this is true, in that someone was there to tell him: "Don't jump in the river. Just do what I did, and you will be happy."
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue May 08, 2018 11:05 pm

A nudge: When I said the hero cured his problem by doing something almost all HAFs could not do, this is quite literally true.
Solong

Postby Solong » Sun May 27, 2018 10:01 pm

This seems to be dead in the water, so I am going to post the
***************SPOILER********************
This is based on a song by Stephen Foster, written in 1864: If You've Only Got a Moustache.
Oh, all of you poor single men,
Don't ever give up in despair.
For there's always a chance while there's life
To capture the hearts of the fair.
No matter what may be your age,
You always may cut a fine dash,
You will suit all the girls to a hair
If you've only got a moustache
A moustache, a moustache
If you've only got a moustache.

No matter for manners or style,
No matter for birth or for fame.