[Enjay] Another picture puzzle

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Enjay] Another picture puzzle

Postby Enjay » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:39 pm

This stone lies on the outskirts of an English village. It once helped to save lives in two ways. How?
Attachments
ltpf2.JPG
ltpf2.JPG (208.47 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
Last edited by Enjay on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Re: [Enjay] Another picture puzzle

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Approx size of stone? Relevant? Is it relevant that there are 6 holes (as opposed to another number)? How big are the holes, diameter, depth? Relevant how long the stone has been there, and how long since the holes were made? There seems to be a carved letter - is it an H? Relevant? Would it help to know the name or location of the village? Is it anywhere near a site of historical importance, e.g. stone circle, carving, church/cathedral, burial ground? It looks like there might be something in there, under a couple of the holes - relevant? made of metal or stone? Has something been poked in there in old or recent times? Could a hook have been threaded through, eg to tether an animal?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Enjay » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:17 pm

Approx size of stone? A couple of feet across Relevant? Somewhat
Is it relevant that there are 6 holes (as opposed to another number)? No
How big are the holes, diameter, depth? A few centimetres across/deep
Relevant how long the stone has been there, and how long since the holes were made? Yes
There seems to be a carved letter - is it an H? Relevant? No
Would it help to know the name or location of the village? No (except in the sense that if you researched the name of the village it would give you the answer). The exact location is not relevant.
Is it anywhere near a site of historical importance, yes e.g. stone circle, carving, church/cathedral, burial ground? None of these
It looks like there might be something in there, under a couple of the holes - relevant? The idea of putting something in the holes is relevant
made of metal this or stone?
Has something been poked in there in old yesor recent irrel times? Could a hook have been threaded through, eg to tether an animal? No
Enjay

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Were offerings made in the holes? Were they filled with plants or water? Coins? Weapons? Wood? Other stones? Gems?
Would people sit or stand on it? Is it part of a greater structure? Is it a foundation stone or any other important part?
Are there relevantly other things surrounding it? Are there more of these in Britain, elsewhere, location/s relevant? Were the things put in the holes frequently, seldom, briefly or for a long time?
Location: staging post, pagan site, offering place, city, town, village, river, hill, mountain, pilgrimage place?
King/queen relevant? Actual event in history or just general time e.g iron age, stone age, middle ages etc? Relevant where the stone came from originally?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:33 am

Did the physical presence of the stone save lives in the sense that were not the stone here the village would have been attacked many times in the past? Is fire relevant? Did it save many lives in different historical periods? Also in modern times? Had the stone a religious meaning? Are there other stones like that? Is Stonehenge relevant? Had the stone save lives by allowing someone to hide? Is there sonething under the stone ? (I am thinking about a repair to hide children and women when there were wars ajd the holes were to let them breath)
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:06 am

Did it save lives during: famine? Drought? War? Pandemic? Illness? Travel? Being lost? In modern times? Water collecting in the holes relevant? Did it relevantly save human lives? Animal life? Plant life?
GalFisk

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:39 am

Has the stone always been there? or was it moved?
Are the holes man-made? Were the holes made where the stone is now? or in another location? Relevant?
Is there something man-made near the stone? a house? relevant? Distance stone<-->nearest man-made thing: less than 1m? 10m? 50m? 100m? 500m?
Acridian9

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:27 am

Is it the bowling ball used by the 3 six-fingered giants of Upton Snodsbury to settle a dispute by bowling, thus eliminating the need for a duel and saving not one but two lives?
WiZ

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:35 am

WiZ wrote:Is it the bowling ball used by the 3 six-fingered giants of Upton Snodsbury to settle a dispute by bowling, thus eliminating the need for a duel and saving not one but two lives?

I hope this is the right answer, but in case it isn't, will you PM me the story, WiZ? It sounds amazing <3

Kaylee
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:25 am

oh hi Enjay-the-Devoner!

the kaylee has nothing particularly intelligent or coherent to add (I'm just about off to bed) but a wild (ridiculous) guess...

was the stone the Stone of Scone? was it used for making scones? was it a scone of stone?

if any of these, was clotted cream or jam applied to it?

in the Cornish way? in the Devonish way?

(I've been rereading certain old puzzles on the old ltpf forum...)
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Enjay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Were offerings made in the holes? Yesish Were they filled with plants or water? Coins? This, no to others Weapons? Wood? Other stones? Gems?
Would people sit or stand on it? Irrel Is it part of a greater structure? No Is it a foundation stone or any other important part? No
Are there relevantly other things surrounding it? Yes Are there more of these in Britain, elsewhere, location/s relevant? Not exactly like this that I am aware of Were the things put in the holes frequently, this seldom, briefly and this or for a long time?
Location: staging post, pagan site, offering place, yope city, town, village, yes river, hill, mountain, pilgrimage place? No/irrel to others
King/queen relevant? No Actual event in history or just general time e.g iron age, stone age, middle ages etc? Actual event Relevant where the stone came from originally? No

Did the physical presence of the stone save lives in the sense that were not the stone here the village would have been attacked many times in the past? No Is fire relevant? No Did it save many lives in different historical periods? No Also in modern times? No Had the stone a religious meaning? No Are there other stones like that? I don't think so Is Stonehenge relevant? No Had the stone save lives by allowing someone to hide? No Is there sonething under the stone ? No (I am thinking about a repair to hide children and women when there were wars ajd the holes were to let them breath)

Did it save lives during: famine? Drought? War? Pandemic? This Illness? And this Travel? Being lost? In modern times? No to all others
Water collecting in the holes relevant? No Did it relevantly save human lives? This Animal life? Plant life?

Has the stone always been there? or was it moved? Not sure but I think it was moved
Are the holes man-made? Again not sure - assume yes Were the holes made where the stone is now? or in another location? Relevant? Irrel
Is there something man-made near the stone? a house? relevant? It is relevant that it is on the outskirts of a village Distance stone<-->nearest man-made thing: less than 1m? 10m? 50m? 100m? 500m? At least 100m and possibly 500m

Is it the bowling ball used by the 3 six-fingered giants of Upton Snodsbury to settle a dispute by bowling, thus eliminating the need for a duel and saving not one but two lives? Yes and that's the spoi...wait, no, amazingly not :(

oh hi Enjay-the-Devoner! Hi Kaylee!

the kaylee has nothing particularly intelligent or coherent to add (I'm just about off to bed) but a wild (ridiculous) guess...

was the stone the Stone of Scone? was it used for making scones? was it a scone of stone?

if any of these, was clotted cream or jam applied to it?

in the Cornish way? in the Devonish way? Sadly scones are not relevant...

(I've been rereading certain old puzzles on the old ltpf forum...)
Enjay

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:21 pm

so coins were put in the holes? Frequently and briefly? So the coins were put in the holes and then removed? By the same people who put them there? By someone else? was this brief period a few seconds? minutes? hours? days? (though that's starting to stretch 'briefly' for me, so I'll stop there)

and there was relevantly a pandemic or illness? was putting coins in/on the stone thought to cure the illness? was it a holy relic? "Magic"? Were the coins collected by the local church/priest/holy person of whatever? In payment for a cure?

Or were the coins thought to be imbued with healing power after touching the stone? Is the stone a magnetic sort of stone?

The stone was moved, you say? Is the stone in Devon? Cornwall? Farther away? Did it originate in Devon? Cornwall? Elsewhere in England? Or some other part of the UK? Or Ireland? If it's not related to the Stone of Scone, perhaps to the Blarney Stone, which is good luck? (is enjay the devoner kitteh absolutely sure scones can't be relevant? :( *iz a hungry kaylee kitteh*)
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Enjay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:33 pm

so coins were put in the holes? Yes Frequently and briefly? Yes So the coins were put in the holes and then removed? Yes By the same people who put them there? No By someone else? Yes was this brief period a few seconds? minutes? hours? days? Probably somewhere between a few hours and a day(though that's starting to stretch 'briefly' for me, so I'll stop there)

and there was relevantly a pandemic or illness? Yes was putting coins in/on the stone thought to cure the illness? No was it a holy relic? No "Magic"? No Were the coins collected by the local church/priest/holy person of whatever? No In payment for a cure? No

Or were the coins thought to be imbued with healing power after touching the stone? No Is the stone a magnetic sort of stone? No

The stone was moved, you say? I think so Is the stone in Devon? Cornwall? Neither Farther away? It's in Derbyshire but that's not hugely relevant Did it originate in Devon? Cornwall? No - sadly my little part of the world is not relevant in this puzzle Elsewhere in England? It came from near where it ended up Or some other part of the UK? Or Ireland? If it's not related to the Stone of Scone, perhaps to the Blarney Stone, which is good luck? No (is enjay the devoner kitteh absolutely sure scones can't be relevant? :( *iz a hungry kaylee kitteh*) well...there is actually a way they COULD be...but that might not help you get the solution :p
Enjay

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:45 pm

now I iz a hungry AND confuzzled kaylee kitteh...:P
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Is the process of leaving hte coins and having them collected a form of payment? Is this necessary because the pandemic would force people to interact at a distance?
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Is the process of leaving hte coins and having them collected a form of payment? Yes Is this necessary because the pandemic would force people to interact at a distance? Yes
Enjay

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:05 pm

forgive me if I missed it upthread, but just in case: did this event take place: prior to 1066?
during Norman rule?
under the rule of the Plantagenets?
during the Wars of the Roses?
the Tudor era?
Stuarts?
was it after the Acts of Union?
while the Hanovers ruled?
or during the reigns of:
Edward VII?
George V?
George VI?
Elizabeth II?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Enjay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 pm

forgive me if I missed it upthread, but just in case: did this event take place: you are really testing my history knowledge now!
prior to 1066?
during Norman rule?
under the rule of the Plantagenets?
during the Wars of the Roses?
the Tudor era?
Stuarts? This - it was the 1660s
was it after the Acts of Union?
while the Hanovers ruled?
or during the reigns of:
Edward VII?
George V?
George VI?
Elizabeth II?
Enjay

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:18 pm

ah - good old Charles II. He was restored to his throne at this time. As a matter of interest, though I'm sure entirely irrelevant, he and I share a birthday, though of course he was born over 350 years before me. :P Also of interest, Charles II regained his throne on his 30th birthday.

Not sure if any of that is relevant, but there you are.

Did the Merrie Monarch, as he was known, ever interact with the stone? Put coins on it? Take coins from it? Was he aware of the pandemic? Affected by it?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Enjay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:25 pm

ah - good old Charles II. He was restored to his throne at this time. As a matter of interest, though I'm sure entirely irrelevant, he and I share a birthday, though of course he was born over 350 years before me. :P Also of interest, Charles II regained his throne on his 30th birthday.

Not sure if any of that is relevant, but there you are. Interesting (you know far more about British history than me...I had to resort to Google to answer your last question) but not relevant - this puzzle deals with far more common folk.

Did the Merrie Monarch, as he was known, ever interact with the stone? Put coins on it? Take coins from it? No to all Was he aware of the pandemic? I'm sure he was Affected by it? *Checks wikipedia* yes, in a sense
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:27 pm

Further fun irrelevance - I share a birthday with Charles I.

So, does this payment method allow for necessary supplies to come into the village without contaminating the outsiders (or forcing outsider tradesmen/merchants to bring their own contaminants into the village), thus creating a sort of quarantine and containing the pandemic, which I assume to be the second round of the Bubonic plague given the time and place?
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:30 pm

So, does this payment method allow for necessary supplies to come into the village without contaminating the outsiders (or forcing outsider tradesmen/merchants to bring their own contaminants into the village), thus creating a sort of quarantine and containing the pandemic, which I assume to be the second round of the Bubonic plague given the time and place? All correct - there is slightly more to it than just being a place to leave money though
Enjay

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:33 pm

Was the Great Plague of London relevant? People fleeing the city to other regions of England carried the plague with them? Would this stone have been along the route he (or other Londoners) took to get to safety?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Enjay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Was the Great Plague of London relevant? Yes People fleeing the city to other regions of England carried the plague with them? Irrel - in this case the plague reached the village through some cloth ordered by the village tailor Would this stone have been along the route he (or other Londoners) took to get to safety? No
Enjay

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Are the holes used to conceal the coins? Are they used only for coins?
Any particular person relevant? A thief?
Acridian9

Postby Enjay » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Are the holes used to conceal the coins? Noish Are they used only for coins? No
Any particular person relevant? No A thief?
Enjay

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:57 pm

So something else was in the holes. Was it another form of money? Something else to be traded? food? goods?
was it put there by villagers? by outsiders?
Acridian9

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:12 am

Requests? Letters/messages to friends, relatives, other? Medicines/remedies?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Enjay » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:20 pm

So something else was in the holes. Yes Was it another form of money? No Something else to be traded? No food? Yope goods?
was it put there by villagers? This by outsiders?

Requests? No Letters/messages to friends, relatives, other? No Medicines/remedies? Yope
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:26 pm

Is it some kind of antiseptic/disinfectant?
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Is it some kind of antiseptic/disinfectant? Yes - this is enough information so to save "LTPF list of 17th century disinfectants", it was vinegar.

Recap:

The stone pictured lies outside an English village which in the 1660s suffered an outbreak of plague.
To avoid spreading the infection, people from outside the village would leave supplies on the stone and the villagers would leave payment in the holes, which they filled with vinegar to prevent the coins from passing on the disease.

The stone therefore saved lives by preventing the villagers from dying of starvation.

It also saved lives during the plague in another way - how?

(I suppose in fact there were 3 ways, if the vinegar trick prevented some of the outsiders from catching the plague - though I'm not sure how effective vinegar really is at stopping the plague.That's not what I'm thinking of, anyway).
Enjay

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:12 am

As for the other way: did it save lives of villagers? or people from outside the village?

Is it where the stone is placed that saved lives? Was it enough for people to see the stone for their lives to be saved? Did it act as a sign? so that people seing it would know that the village had plague and won't approach?
Acridian9

Postby Enjay » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:56 pm

As for the other way: did it save lives of villagers? or people from outside the village? This

Is it where the stone is placed that saved lives? Was it enough for people to see the stone for their lives to be saved? Did it act as a sign? so that people seing it would know that the village had plague and won't approach? Yes

*****SPOILER*****

The stone pictured lies outside the village of Eyam in Derbyshire, England. In 1665 plague was spread to the village in a bundle of cloth delivered from London. The ministers of the village organised them in taking precautions to prevent the further spread of the disease, including a quarantine of the village. The stone pictured was a boundary marker for the village and saved lives in two ways:

1) By saving the villagers from starvation: people from outside the village would leave supplies on the stone and the villagers would leave payment in the holes, which they filled with vinegar to prevent the coins from passing on the disease.

2) As an indicator to outsiders of the boundary of the village, which they should not cross, thus saving the neighbouring villages from the disease.

As a result of the quarantine, a large percentage of the villagers died but the plague did not spread to the rest of the region.

The story of the village is interesting and it is worth a visit if you are in the area.

Thanks all for playing!
Enjay

Re: [Enjay] Another picture puzzle [CAUGHT THE PLAGUE]

Postby JenBurdoo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:07 am

Wow, a very interesting story! Might have to tell this one.

More picture puzzles, please!
JenBurdoo

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles