[Solong] Three on a match

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Solong] Three on a match

Postby Solong » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Bert had quit smoking, but he had to have one last cigarette, because he was inspired by the cinema.
Solong

Re: [Solong] Three on a match

Postby Earnest » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:34 pm

One last = his very last one? If so because he is going to die after? Is it his last one for sure? I mean are there physical constraints which will impede him to smoke further? Because he will start smoking something else than cigarettes?

Bert = HAM? Had Bert stop smoking from a long time? Relevant his age? "Inspired by the cinema" = was him at the cinema? Cinema is here used as "movie"? If so, was him inspired by a specific movie? Was him doing something which resempbled him the scene of a movie? Was him about to die? Was him having a conversation with someone?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 pm

And was that 'last' cigarette actually his last, or did he go on to have another 'last' cigarette, and so on?
Is he on Death Row?
Does he have cancer?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Solong » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 pm

One last = his very last one? AFAIK, yes. If so because he is going to die after? No.Is it his last one for sure? I mean are there physical constraints which will impede him to smoke further?No. He was legally and physically able to smoke afterward, but didn't. Because he will start smoking something else than cigarettes? No.

Bert = HAM? Yes.Had Bert stop smoking from a long time? Maybe a year or two. Relevant his age? 20-something. "Inspired by the cinema" = was him at the cinema? Cinema is here used as "movie"? Yes. If so, was him inspired by a specific movie? Yes.Was him doing something which resempbled him the scene of a movie? Yes!Was him about to die?NO. Was him having a conversation with someone? Any conversation n.r.
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:23 pm

And was that 'last' cigarette actually his last, or did he go on to have another 'last' cigarette, and so on? It was actually his last, to my knowledge. I am Mrs. Bert.
Is he on Death Row? No.
Does he have cancer? No.
Solong

Postby GalFisk » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:57 am

Did a movie character relevantly have a cigarette? Did he resemble a movie character? Did he want to try a trick involving a cigarette? Did he inhale the smoke?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:08 am

Would it help if we knew the movie? Could we find the answer without it? Was it an old movie? Classic?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Solong » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Did a movie character relevantly have a cigarette? No. He smoked, but not a cigarette.Did he resemble a movie character? Sort of, but not really relevant. Did he want to try a trick involving a cigarette? Did he inhale the smoke? Yes to both.
Solong

Postby Solong » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Would it help if we knew the movie? Yes. Could we find the answer without it? Yes, if you are persistent.Was it an old movie? Classic? Yes and yes.
Solong

Postby Enjay » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:16 pm

Did the movie character smoke a cigar? A pipe?
Did the trick involve the smoke? The cigarette itself? Blowing smoke rings?
Enjay

Postby Solong » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Did the movie character smoke a cigar? No. A pipe? Yope - er, no.
Did the trick involve the smoke? Yes.The cigarette itself? No.Blowing smoke rings? Yes!
Enjay, you may be on to something! Explore.
Solong

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Blowing smoke rings makes me think of Gandalf...Gandalf and/or Bilbo Baggins relevant? any other hobbitses? :) *waves to soli-kitteh*
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Solong » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Blowing smoke rings makes me think of Gandalf...Gandalf and/or Bilbo Baggins relevant? any other hobbitses? :) *waves to soli-kitteh* Waves back No Hobbiti involved.
Solong

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:29 pm

but smoke rings are relevant? smoke signals? magic smoke rings?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Solong » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:18 pm

but smoke rings are relevant? Yes.smoke signals? No.magic smoke rings? Yope - maybe.
Solong

Postby Jane The Awesome » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Were the smoke rings meant to be some kind of magic trick? Like making something vanish into smoke?
Is it significant that Bert chose to use a cigarette despite the movie character not using one?
Jane The Awesome

Postby Solong » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:46 pm

Were the smoke rings meant to be some kind of magic trick? Yessish.Like making something vanish into smoke? No.
Is it significant that Bert chose to use a cigarette despite the movie character not using one? Only because the cigarette was available.
Solong

Postby GalFisk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 am

Smoke ring: one? Two? Several? Teaching someone to make smoke rings relevant? Demonstrating/explaining the physics of smoke rings? Is the smoke ring interacting with something relevant? Such as light? Air currents? A moving object? A stationary object? Is he trying to prove that something in the movie was real? Faked?
GalFisk

Postby peter365 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:02 am

Gross warning:

When I was a young and enthusiastic smoker (back in the 80s) one of my party pieces behind the bike sheds was blowing a smoke ring and then spitting through it , apologies but I'd never forgive myself if this was relevant and I didn't ask.
peter365

Postby Solong » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Smoke ring: one? Two? Several? IDK, n.r.Teaching someone to make smoke rings relevant? no.Demonstrating/explaining the physics of smoke rings? Is the smoke ring interacting with something relevant? Such as light? Air currents? A moving object? A stationary object? No to all. Is he trying to prove that something in the movie was real? Faked? What he did might be taken as 'proving' the scene in the movie was real, but of course it was faked, - I mean, 'special effects.'
Solong

Postby Solong » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:06 pm

When I was a young and enthusiastic smoker (back in the 80s) one of my party pieces behind the bike sheds was blowing a smoke ring and then spitting through it , apologies but I'd never forgive myself if this was relevant and I didn't ask. No apology required, because it is n.r.
Solong

Postby GalFisk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:51 am

Did he want to show off? To show it could be done without special effects? To see whether he could do it?
GalFisk

Postby Solong » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Did he want to show off? To show it could be done without special effects? To see whether he could do it?All of these might have something to do with it, but I think mostly just for fun.
Solong

Postby GalFisk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:57 pm

Did he do something relevant before blowing smoke rings? During? After? Speed of rings relevant? Size? Endurance? Density? Distance of travel?
GalFisk

Postby Solong » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:00 pm

Did he do something relevant before blowing smoke rings? He took a few drags of his 'one last cigarette.'During? After? Speed of rings relevant? Size? Endurance? Density? Distance of travel? All the rest n.r.
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue May 08, 2018 11:01 pm

Hint to nudge things along: The movie scene he was trying to imitate was from a comedy.
Solong

Postby Solong » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:53 am

**************SPOILER*****************
I'm 0 for 3 lately. Sometimes that's the way it goes.

The movie was the Laurel & Hardy comedy "Way Out West," and Bert was moved to imitate the scene where Laurel 'smokes' his hand as if it were a pipe. He was out with his friends Tom and Jerry. Tom was also a non-smoker, but Jerry still smoked. Bert asked Jerry for a drag off his ciggie, inhaled and kept the smoke in his mouth, while signaling to Tom to 'give him a light.' Tom, who had seen the movie too, played along. Bert then mimed filling his hand with tobacco and lighting it, then blew a perfect smoke ring, much to Jerry's bemusement. :shock:
Solong

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles