[Doriana] It's all in your head

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] It's all in your head

Postby Doriana » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:40 pm

I was recently diagnosed with a mild concussion (nothing serious - don't worry!). My insurance then sent me a form asking for additional details about the cause of the injury. I filled in the form, but I was reluctant to provide one central piece of information. Why?
Last edited by Doriana on Mon May 21, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] It's all in your head

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:16 pm

I = you, the truly Doriana kitteh? another person? true story? FYOI? FSEI?

are those the workers' compensation type things for when you get hurt on the job? are you afraid your boss would be mad if s/he knew you had got hurt at work?

or were you injured at home? outside? somewhere else?

were you injured in a car/other vehicle accident? did someone attack you? :(

do you have a pre existing condition that would cause the insurance to refuse to help you? >_<
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Balin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Is lacrosse at all relevant?
Balin

Postby Doriana » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:13 pm

I = you, the truly Doriana kitteh? yes another person? true story? this FYOI? FSEI?

are those the workers' compensation type things for when you get hurt on the job? no are you afraid your boss would be mad if s/he knew you had got hurt at work? no, it did not happen at work

or were you injured at home? outside? this somewhere else?

were you injured in a car/other vehicle accident? no did someone attack you? :( noish

do you have a pre existing condition that would cause the insurance to refuse to help you? >_< no

Is lacrosse at all relevant? I knew this would come up, and I initially wanted to call this puzzle "This is not a lacrosse related puzzle", so no, not this time
Doriana

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:46 am

noish to attack? did someone surprise you? Was it a kitteh?

did you trip and fall, and hit your head on something?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Doriana » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:36 am

noish to attack? did someone surprise you? no Was it a kitteh? no

did you trip and fall, no and hit your head on something? but yes
Doriana

Postby Earnest » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:38 am

So...is an accident with car relevant? Is the piece of info you are relictant to give about "why you were in a place?" "What were you doing before/while the accident happened?" ? Is someone else involved? A HAF? A HAM? Relevant? Vehicles involved? Someone committing a crime/trying to commit a crime?
Was it something which embarassed you? Something private? A code? A password? Is the piece of info central in the sense that it was crucial to find out what happened/that the fault was not your/how much someone had to repay you back? Were you working?
Relevant the part of the body where you had the concussion? If so, list of body parts (please)

Is the question asked in the form ambiguous? Very direct? Did you want to reply face to face? Did you want to reply to that question (was it a question? If so was it strictly related to the injury? General info? A routinary question?) face to face?
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:43 am

So...is an accident with car relevant? no Is the piece of info you are relictant to give about "why you were in a place?" "What were you doing before/while the accident happened?" ? this Is someone else involved? yes A HAF? A HAM? one H/A/M in particular, and some more H/A/mixed were present Relevant? Vehicles involved? no Someone committing a crime/trying to commit a crime? no
Was it something which embarassed you? possibly Something private? A code? A password? no to these Is the piece of info central in the sense that it was crucial to find out what happened mostly this /that the fault was not your/how much someone had to repay you back? Were you working? no
Relevant the part of the body where you had the concussion? If so, list of body parts (please) On my head

Is the question asked in the form ambiguous? no Very direct? yes Did you want to reply face to face? no, I ended up replying on the form, although I didn't want to at first Did you want to reply to that question (was it a question? yes If so was it strictly related to the injury? yes General info? A routinary question?) face to face? no to rest
Doriana

Postby Earnest » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:27 am

Was the question related to you psychological status after the happening?

Were you training ? Were you making sport? Walking? Earing? Was it dark? Did you know the HAM? Were you sit? Relevant the position of the HaM w.r.t. you? Was him near you? Beside you? Were you in a public mean of transport? Train? Bus? Metro? Were you on the street? Were you going to a shop? Were you going buying aomething? Relevant? Did you hit your head on the head of the HAM? On an object? Relevant?
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Was the question related to you psychological status after the happening? no

Were you training ? yes Were you making sport? yes Walking? Earing? Was it dark? no to these Did you know the HAM? yes Were you sit? no Relevant the position of the HaM w.r.t. you? yes Was him near you? yes Beside you? Were you in a public mean of transport? Train? Bus? Metro? Were you on the street? Were you going to a shop? Were you going buying aomething? Relevant? no to these Did you hit your head on the head of the HAM? not on his head, but... On an object? see previous Relevant?
Doriana

Postby Earnest » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:14 pm

Did yoy relevantly wear an helmet? Did him? Were you training in a sport where physical contact is possible? In an individual sport? Team sport? One vs another one? More vs more?

Was the HAM training with you? Box relevant? Martial arts in general? Was the question "embarassing" bexause it forced you to admit sonething? (E.g. that you lost?)
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:27 pm

Did yoy relevantly wear an helmet? Did him? Neither of us did Were you training in a sport where physical contact is possible? yes In an individual sport? Team sport? this One vs another one? More vs more? this

Was the HAM training with you? yes Box relevant? Martial arts in general? no to these Was the question "embarassing" bexause it forced you to admit sonething? (E.g. that you lost?) noish
Doriana

Postby Earnest » Tue May 01, 2018 6:41 am

Ok so...something like football? Rugby? Basketball?...was the HAM playing with you? Against you? Was the HAM taller than you? Were you looking another way and accidentally beat your head on the HAM's chest? Did soneone pass you the ball and you were distracted so that the ball beat your head?
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Mon May 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Ok so...something like football? Rugby? Most comparable to this, but it was not actually rugby Basketball?...was the HAM playing with you? Against you? this Was the HAM taller than you? yes, but he bent down, so his shoulder hit my head Were you looking another way and accidentally beat your head on the HAM's chest? Did soneone pass you the ball and you were distracted so that the ball beat your head? no to rest
Doriana

Postby Earnest » Tue May 08, 2018 6:38 am

So he bent down in order to stop you? Had you got the ball? Had him? Was someone passing to you the ball? To him? (Was there a ball right?)
Or he bent down to take a breath/be ready for receiving the ball?

Were you running toward him? If so, have you seen him? Was him moving? Was him running toward you? Were you standing still? Were you relevantly play in the mud? Relevant your clothing?
Did you hit the head on his shoulder while celebrating a score? During an action of the match? Was it a relevant phase of the match? Intial phase? Final? Middle? Did you hit on his shoulder to avoid hitting somewhere else?

Central piece of info: how you hit him? How you hit your head on him? What were you doing a moment before hitting the head on him?
Earnest

Postby LemonCurry » Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 am

PM sent. I wouldn't be happy to write this into an insurance form either :)
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Tue May 08, 2018 7:52 pm

So he bent down in order to stop you? Had you got the ball? Had him? Was someone passing to you the ball? To him? (Was there a ball right?)
Or he bent down to take a breath/be ready for receiving the ball? The details are irrelevant, but there was a ball

Were you running toward him? If so, have you seen him? Was him moving? Was him running toward you? Were you standing still? Were you relevantly play in the mud? Relevant your clothing? All irrel
Did you hit the head on his shoulder while celebrating a score? During an action of the match? This Was it a relevant phase of the match? Intial phase? Final? Middle? Did you hit on his shoulder to avoid hitting somewhere else? All irrel

Central piece of info: how you hit him? How you hit your head on him? What were you doing a moment before hitting the head on him? no to all

LemonCurry, I haven't received a PM :( Could you resend it?
Doriana

Postby Earnest » Tue May 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Was the central piece of info regarding the dynamics of the accident? Your status (if you were drunk before the match or whatsoever?)?

To be sure...you were a player right? Relevant your relation with the HAM a part from him being your opponent? Dkd it ask your age? Is the central piece of info about the accident? General info about you? Type of injury? Reabilitation? If you were perfectly able to play the match? The consequences of the accident? What happened one, two or three hours/days after the accident (I know that for head concussions they want to be sure that there were no consequences at all)? Is it about your specific injury?
Last edited by Earnest on Wed May 09, 2018 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Earnest

Postby LemonCurry » Tue May 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Doriana wrote:
LemonCurry, I haven't received a PM :( Could you resend it?

Done :)
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Mon May 21, 2018 8:10 am

Was the central piece of info regarding the dynamics of the accident? Your status (if you were drunk before the match or whatsoever?)? no to both

To be sure...you were a player right? yes Relevant your relation with the HAM a part from him being your opponent? no Dkd it ask your age? no Is the central piece of info about the accident? yope General info about you? Type of injury? Reabilitation? If you were perfectly able to play the match? The consequences of the accident? What happened one, two or three hours/days after the accident (I know that for head concussions they want to be sure that there were no consequences at all)? Is it about your specific injury? no to all, think more basic
Doriana

Postby Enjay » Mon May 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Were you reluctant to reveal what sport you were playing? Should we find out specifically what sport it was? Was it an internationally recognised game? A game that is very commonly played? A "fictional" game like Quidditch? Was it something that you would expect to get injured during?
Enjay

Postby Doriana » Mon May 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Were you reluctant to reveal what sport you were playing? yes Should we find out specifically what sport it was? yes Was it an internationally recognised game? There is an international association for this sport, so... yes? A game that is very commonly played? no, and this is important A "fictional" game like Quidditch? YES! I was indeed playing quidditch Was it something that you would expect to get injured during? no

Very good round, Enjay! Left to find out: Why was I reluctant to reveal that I was injured playing quidditch?
Doriana

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Mon May 21, 2018 5:57 pm

did you think people wouldn't believe you? Or that they would think you were delusional? or that you were a witch? are witch executions (burnings? hanging?) still a thing in Germany? (I hope not o_O poor Germany)

did you think they'd believe you were childish for playing a fictional game?

or, were you playing as Hogwarts House teams, and you were on a team that people mostly wouldn't cheer for? Slytherin? Hufflepuff?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Enjay » Mon May 21, 2018 6:02 pm

Did you think they might not know what it meant? That it wouldn't help them in treating your injury because they wouldn't know how it was played?
Enjay

Postby Doriana » Mon May 21, 2018 6:03 pm

did you think people wouldn't believe you? this! Or that they would think you were delusional? or that you were a witch? are witch executions (burnings? hanging?) still a thing in Germany? (I hope not o_O poor Germany) no to these

did you think they'd believe you were childish for playing a fictional game? possibly

or, were you playing as Hogwarts House teams, and you were on a team that people mostly wouldn't cheer for? Slytherin? Hufflepuff? no

Time for the

********SPOILER********

I recently started playing quidditch, which is a co-ed full contact sport. During practice, another player tried to tackle me, but instead, he hit my head with his shoulder, which resulted in a mild concussion. My insurance then sent me a form asking for additional information, including whether this was a sports injury, and if yes, which sport I was playing. I was reluctant to tell them I was playing quidditch because I was worried they might not believe me or think that I was messing with them. I ended up adding a footnote to explain that quidditch is an actual sport similar to rugby and dodgeball.

Thanks for your hard work, Earnest, and congratulations on putting the pieces together, Kaylee Kitteh and Enjay! And congrats to LemonCurry who sent a perfect early $poiler.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] It's all in your head (SNITCH CAUGHT)

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Mon May 21, 2018 6:12 pm

*snuggles Doriana kitteh* plz to be feeling better <3
KayleeArafinwiel

Re: [Doriana] It's all in your head (SNITCH CAUGHT)

Postby Earnest » Mon May 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Very intriguing! Thank you!
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles