[WiZ] What Katie Did

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] What Katie Did

Postby WiZ » Sun May 06, 2018 10:04 pm

Katie McGettrick lands a job as a bartender. During her first week, she is serving three regulars. Although she is behaving in all professionalism, she suddenly gasps, and then begins apologising profusely. What had she done?
Last edited by WiZ on Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] What Katie Did

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun May 06, 2018 10:09 pm

3 regulars = HAM etc? Are they just 3 regulars or do they have differences between them or in what they do? Does she apologise to 1,2 or 3 regulars, or other customers, or staff? Was it to do with what she was serving or their order?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Sun May 06, 2018 10:29 pm

3 regulars = HAM etc? Human/adult/gender irrel Are they just 3 regulars or do they have differences between them or in what they do? They come from similar backgrounds Does she apologise to 1,2 or 3 regulars, all 3 regulars equally or other customers, or staff? Was it to do with what she was serving yes or their order? yes (she served them their order and nothing else)
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun May 06, 2018 10:46 pm

Does it matter what they were drinking? All the same or 3 different drinks? Snacks or meals relevant? Beer, cider, spirits, wine, cocktails, non-alcoholic drink, other? Are they Irish? Another nationality if relevant? Is Katie Scottish or Irish? Does it matter where this takes place? Day or time relevant?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Sun May 06, 2018 10:51 pm

Does it matter what they were drinking? yes All the same yes or 3 different drinks? no Snacks or meals relevant? no Beer yes, cider, spirits, wine, cocktails, non-alcoholic drink, other? no to rest Are they Irish? not relevantly, FA lurking Another nationality if relevant? not strictly relevantly, same FA lurking Is Katie Scottish or Irish? She's Irish Does it matter where this takes place? Yes, and this is more relevant than any given character's nationality Day or time relevant? no
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun May 06, 2018 11:11 pm

Is she actually serving them in a bar? Are they in Ireland? Is the beer relevant?
Guinness? Are they in a bar, in a hotel, restaurant, on board a ship, at a wedding or other function? Is the country, city, building where it takes place relevant?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Sun May 06, 2018 11:18 pm

Is she actually serving them in a bar? yes Are they in Ireland? yes (Note: this scenario exists, to a much less widespread extent, throughout the Irish diaspora) Is the beer relevant? yes
Guinness? yes Are they in a bar yes, most likely, in a hotel, restaurant, on board a ship, irrelevant/unsure to all at a wedding or other function? no Is the country, city, building where it takes place relevant? 'country' is the relevant level of specificity if we're talking about something nameable and unique. "Bar' is as much as we need if we're talking about a specific generic place.
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun May 06, 2018 11:27 pm

Did she pour it in one go instead of letting it settle?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Sun May 06, 2018 11:34 pm

Did she pour it in one go instead of letting it settle? no
WiZ

Postby Balin » Mon May 07, 2018 12:05 am

Is her name relevant?
Is the size of the drinks relevant?
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon May 07, 2018 12:10 am

Is there a band of Irish musicians? Garda relevant? Is there a lock-in?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Mon May 07, 2018 12:11 am

Is her name relevant? yes
Is the size of the drinks relevant? no
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon May 07, 2018 12:13 am

Is her name relevant beside the fact that she’s Irish?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Mon May 07, 2018 12:19 am

Is her name relevant beside the fact that she’s Irish? Yes
WiZ

Postby WiZ » Mon May 07, 2018 12:56 am

Just noticed I'd missed your questions, InvisibleMimsy. My apologies.

Is there a band of Irish musicians? no Garda relevant? no Is there a lock-in? no
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon May 07, 2018 1:03 am

Surname, first name or both? Is it a pun? Ancestry relevant, origin, location? Do the 3 customers relevantly know her name?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Mon May 07, 2018 2:01 am

Surname, first name this; no to rest or both? Is it a pun? no Ancestry relevant, origin, location? yes to all, although for varying reasons Do the 3 customers relevantly know her name? no (it could be argued that they relevantly don't).
WiZ

Postby trebor » Tue May 08, 2018 5:19 am

Are the other three all the same ethnicity/nationality? Relevant? Would Katie be likely to be embarrassed if everything had gone exactly the same but she had been in North America? Or wait... are they in Ireland? Are they in North America? Is St. Patrick’s Day relevant?

Does one of the regulars say something about a Katie they know? Is it relevant whether Katie has a different dialect from the regulars?
Last edited by trebor on Tue May 08, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trebor

Postby Earnest » Tue May 08, 2018 6:50 am

So...was the beer served in a regukar way? Were there relevant traditions related to the serving of the beer in certai types of glasses/bottles? Was Guinness to be served spilled (hope this is the right way to say it). Relevant that Ireland was split into two nations? Relevabt the religion?
Did Katie said something relevant? (E.g. she blessed the visitors/she used an expression typical of the north/south of ireland? She mentioned the Queen referring to the Queen of England while the visitors were Irish rebels...)

Did it happen in modern times relevantly?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Tue May 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Trebor

Are the other three all the same ethnicity/nationality? yes Relevant? yes Would Katie be likely to be embarrassed if everything had gone exactly the same but she had been in North America? yes Or wait... are they in Ireland? Most likely, but not strictly necessarily Are they in North America? This puzzle would work in North America Is St. Patrick’s Day relevant? no

Does one of the regulars say something about a Katie they know? no Is it relevant whether Katie has a different dialect from the regulars? no

Earnest

So...was the beer served in a regukar way? yes Were there relevant traditions related to the serving of the beer yes in certai types of glasses/bottles? but not to this Was Guinness to be served spilled (hope this is the right way to say it). no Relevant that Ireland was split into two nations? not to this puzzle Relevabt the religion? no
Did Katie said something relevant? no, good question (E.g. she blessed the visitors/she used an expression typical of the north/south of ireland? She mentioned the Queen referring to the Queen of England while the visitors were Irish rebels...) n/a to these

Did it happen in modern times relevantly? Relevantly within the last century
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Wed May 09, 2018 6:41 am

Relevant her clothing? Do the three complain with her about something? About something concerning Katie herself? Her appearence? The way she behaved? Were they making fun of her? Making her a joke? Talking gaelic?
So the three were regular implies that they have been in the bar many times right? (They have seat, ordered and spent time in the bar right?) So can we assume that no novelty had been introduced a part from the new bartender Katie, since Katie began her job? (I mean, a part from Katie they knew everything about the bar, bar menus...)

Is some song related to Katie relevant? Did someone call her name? Were the three drunk? Did Katie know that they were three regular? Relevant? Did the three regular go to the bar in a specific day? (E.g. they go on wednesday because the know that on wednesday the beer is served direcy from the barrel...stupid example) If so, was Katie aware of it? Relevant? Is Katie's name relevant in that it was part of an irish song? It was the name of the bar? It was the name of someone related to the three? It was a name used in typical irish cheers?
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:32 am

Has Katie created a design on the head of the pints (this annoys the hell out of me)? Are the men Irish ? Has she got their order right?

There's a very popular Irish song called Katie , is that relevant?

Do the customers realise that Katie is Irish ? Do they mention her name in some other context ?
peter365

Postby WiZ » Wed May 09, 2018 8:35 pm

Earnest

Relevant her clothing? no Do the three complain with her about something? no About something concerning Katie herself? Her appearence? The way she behaved? n/a to these Were they making fun of her? Making her a joke? no Talking gaelic? no
So the three were regular implies that they have been in the bar many times right? yes (They have seat, ordered and spent time in the bar right?) yes, they were at the bar for all the relevant time period of this puzzleSo can we assume that no novelty had been introduced a part from the new bartender Katie, since Katie began her job? correct (I mean, a part from Katie they knew everything about the bar, bar menus...) Also correct

Is some song related to Katie relevant? no Did someone call her name? no Were the three drunk? no Did Katie know that they were three regular? no Relevant? no Did the three regular go to the bar in a specific day? (E.g. they go on wednesday because the know that on wednesday the beer is served direcy from the barrel...stupid example) no If so, was Katie aware of it? no Relevant? no Is Katie's name relevant in that it was part of an irish song? no It was the name of the bar? no It was the name of someone related to the three? no It was a name used in typical irish cheers? no

Peter

Has Katie created a design on the head of the pints yes! (this annoys the hell out of me)? Heh. They did it for me at the Brazen Head, and, being a shameless foreigner, I lapped it up. Interesting to hear a real Irish perspective. Are the men Irish ? not relevantly Has she got their order right? yes

There's a very popular Irish song called Katie , is that relevant? no

Do the customers realise that Katie is Irish ? irrelevant Do they mention her name in some other context ? no
WiZ

Postby trebor » Thu May 10, 2018 1:08 am

Did she draw a clover in the foam? A representation of her name? Did she get chastised for doing a design at all? For not doing it well?
trebor

Postby WiZ » Thu May 10, 2018 2:45 am

Did she draw a clover in the foam? no A representation of her name? Yesish! Did she get chastised FA for doing a design at all? yope - difficult to answer in light of FA For not doing it well? no
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:04 am

Time for a guess

The three men were black and Katie put her initial on the three pints thus spelling KKK when she lined them up.

How's that?
peter365

Postby trebor » Thu May 10, 2018 6:44 pm

Even if that’s not the answer, what a clever guess. But I hope it is.
trebor

Postby WiZ » Thu May 10, 2018 8:45 pm

There is something satisfying about someone guessing the correct answer, and another puzzler saying 'If that's not correct, it should be'. Fortunately for all three of us involved, it is.

***** SPOILER *****

Katie had landed a job at an Irish pub, and one of her responsibilities was drawing pints of Guinness with shamrocks in the head. To build up this skill, staff are often encouraged to start by putting their initials in the foam, as these shapes are easy and familiar.

During her first week, three black gentlemen come to the bar and request a Guinness each. Dutifully, she pulls the three pints, adds her initial to the foam, and presents the beer to the men:

( K ) ( K ) ( K )

She sees what she has done - but it is too late.

Congratulations, Peter, on the solution, and thank you everyone for playing!
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] What Katie Did [KATIE DID NOTHING WRONG]

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu May 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Excellent puzzle. I wouldn't have got that in a million years! Well done Peter.
invisiblemimsy

Postby peter365 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:30 am

I think I was at an advantage on this one. Would be kicking myself if I didn't solve a Guinness themed puzzle.

Nice one WiZ
peter365

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri May 11, 2018 8:27 am

IKR? Back in 2006, I got paid in Guinness for a month! Riding around Ireland playing bodhran in the bars. I was much stouter by the end.
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 am

Interesting. While I've never had stout til I was stout, I've certainly had pale ale until I was pale and ailing.
WiZ

Postby trebor » Fri May 11, 2018 9:23 pm

A few ears ago I worked as a porter. If I stood by the hotel door too long it would get might draught-y. Excellent puzzle!
trebor

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles