[IrishElk] At the River I Stand

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IrishElk] At the River I Stand

Postby irishelk » Thu May 10, 2018 1:00 pm

They voluntarily did a lot more hard work than necessary. It was shameful.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] At the River I Stand

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu May 10, 2018 4:42 pm

'They' = HAM etc? 2 or them, 10, list of numbers?

Was the work voluntary, unpaid... Or was required, expected, paid but they went over and above with the difficulty, amount, etc?

Relevant who they were doing the work for, or what kind of work it was? Was the nature of the work itself shameful, or was it shameful how much work they did or were expected to do? Was the work in itself shameful?
invisiblemimsy

Postby irishelk » Fri May 11, 2018 11:40 am

invisiblemimsy

'They' = HAM etc? HAMs and HAFs. 2 or them, 10, list of numbers? Not sure, likely several dozen.

Was the work voluntary, Somewhat. unpaid...No. Or was required, expected, paid but they went over and above with the difficulty, amount, etc? The work they were doing in general was required and paid. The "lot more" was not specifically required. They were likely paid for it.

Relevant who they were doing the work for, or what kind of work it was? It might help you. Was the nature of the work itself shameful, No. or was it shameful how much work they did Given the context, yes. or were expected to do? No. Was the work in itself shameful? Not the actual task, no.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Fri May 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Relevant the way in which they were paid? Like the more time they spend working the more they get paid? E.g. like taxi drivers for instance ...did they work together? Did they have to perform a specific task together? Were they used to work together or was it an occasional work (e.g. counting votes...)? Was the hard part of the work tme consuming? Was there another way to perform the task avoiding hard working? (E.g. instead of using technology they preferred to do something by hand spending a lot more time to do it...)
"More than necessary" = more than necessary to finish the job? More than necessary in the sense that they finished the job but then they perform some hard work even after having finished it?

Was the "hard" part mainly a mental effort? A physical one? Do "they" belong to a category of people? E.g. to a trade union?

"Voluntarily" = they agreed? Like they talked to each other face to face agreeing of doing more hard work than necessary and being aware that they would be paid more/to protest against something? If so, relevant how they agreed? Are buildings involved? Constructions? Sport? Teams?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun May 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Was it a specific river, eg a famous one like Swanee River, River of Babylon, River Kwai? Were they slaves, employees, in the forces?
invisiblemimsy

Postby irishelk » Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Earnest

Relevant the way in which they were paid? No. Like the more time they spend working the more they get paid? E.g. like taxi drivers for instance Not like this.
...did they work together? Yes. Did they have to perform a specific task together? Yes. Were they used to work together or was it an occasional work (e.g. counting votes...)? Irr. Was the hard part of the work tme consuming? Yes. Was there another way to perform the task avoiding hard working? No or irr. (E.g. instead of using technology they preferred to do something by hand spending a lot more time to do it...)
"More than necessary" = more than necessary to finish the job? Yes. More than necessary in the sense that they finished the job but then they perform some hard work even after having finished it? The extra work occurred before they were finished with the rest of the work.

Was the "hard" part mainly a mental effort? A physical one? Both. Do "they" belong to a category of people? Yesish, there are multiple specific professions involved but one main industry. E.g. to a trade union? No.

"Voluntarily" = they agreed? Most likely, at least a majority of the workers were on board. Like they talked to each other face to face agreeing of doing more hard work than necessary Yes. and being aware that they would be paid more/to protest against something? The rest is irr. If so, relevant how they agreed? No. Are buildings involved? Yes. Construction? Yes! Sport? Teams? No.

invisiblemimsy

Was it a specific river, eg a famous one like Swanee River, River of Babylon, River Kwai? Not these--I was referencing a specific river, but only tangentially relevant. Were they slaves, employees, in the forces? Paid employees and/or contractors.
irishelk

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles