[Solong] E.S.P.*

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Solong] E.S.P.*

Postby Solong » Sat May 12, 2018 8:58 pm

He ate a piece of bread and saved lives.

*E.S.P. stands for Extremely Silly Puzzle. Be warned!
Solong

Re: [Solong] E.S.P.*

Postby Zanreo » Sat May 12, 2018 9:34 pm

Relevant what kind of bread? Saved lives - literally prevented others from dying? Greatly improved people's life or got them out of a bad situation? Were their lives saved instantly after he ate the bread? Did the others eat bread? Were lives saved because he was the one to eat the bread before the others did?
Zanreo

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat May 12, 2018 11:00 pm

He = HAM etc... or an animal? Would this work if he had eaten something other than bread? Lots of bread rather than just a piece? The lives he saved - were they human, animal, mythological creature, trees, aliens...?
'Ate' as in put in the mouth, swallowed and digested?
Did the lives he saved follow from his eating a piece of bread, or were the two things unrelated? Or separated by other events? Relevant what kind of death/s would have occurred had he not eaten the bread?
Was the bread fresh, mouldy, a particular kind of bread, not actual bread at all? Money, penicillin, hallucinogens, passover, hunger strikes relevant?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Sun May 13, 2018 6:41 am

Did he have other options? I mean...can we say he ate bread "instead of something else"? Can we say "he first ate a piece of bread and then saved lives"? Ora are the two connected by a causal logic? (Eating bread implies saving lives)

Ok WAG.. are we talking about Jesus Christ? (He took the bread and gave it to the disciples)

Anyway...did he want to eat the piece of bread? Was him aware that it would have saved lives? Did someone give him the bread? ...was it the first time that he ate bread and save lives?
Another WAG (I'm sorry about that...but they come up into my mind and I think it's also funny for you to break up my stupid conclusions...is it ok?)....so the idea is that people were hidden in a trapdoor under the floor...he began to eat bread and the crumbs went down into the trapdoor so that people could eat.

Are crumbs relevant? Did he finish the puece of bread? Did he relevantly throw away a part of it?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun May 13, 2018 10:49 am

Loaves and fishes?
Was it the crust? The last piece of bread at the end of a loaf?
Was the bread actually toast, or could it have been? A pun? Something like, 'Everyone was toast,' meaning 'everyone died' or would die if he didn't eat all the bread up while it was still raw? Was the bread a normal loaf or roll or something?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Solong » Mon May 14, 2018 3:23 am

Relevant what kind of bread? Like white, rye, etc? No.Saved lives - literally prevented others from dying? No - he was joking.Greatly improved people's life or got them out of a bad situation? In the context of the joke, yope. Were their lives saved instantly after he ate the bread? Did the others eat bread?Probably, but irr. Were lives saved because he was the one to eat the bread before the others did? irr.
Solong

Postby Solong » Mon May 14, 2018 3:29 am

He = HAM Yes, but gender irr.etc... or an animal? Would this work if he had eaten something other than bread? No, had to be bread.Lots of bread rather than just a piece? One piece all that was necessary. The lives he saved - were they human, yes animal, mythological creature, trees, aliens...?
'Ate' as in put in the mouth, swallowed and digested? Yes.
Did the lives he saved follow from his eating a piece of bread, or were the two things unrelated? Only in his immagination. Or separated by other events? Relevant what kind of death/s would have occurred had he not eaten the bread? Yessish.
Was the bread fresh, yes. mouldy, a particular kind of bread, not actual bread at all? Money, penicillin, hallucinogens, passover, hunger strikes relevant? None of these.
Solong

Postby Solong » Mon May 14, 2018 3:43 am

Did he have other options? I mean...can we say he ate bread "instead of something else"? He ate other things, but only bread relevant. Can we say "he first ate a piece of bread and then saved lives"? Ora are the two connected by a causal logic? (Eating bread implies saving lives) They are connected only by lateral logic.

Ok WAG.. are we talking about Jesus Christ? (He took the bread and gave it to the disciples) No religious connotations whatever.

Anyway...did he want to eat the piece of bread? That was his intention.Was him aware that it would have saved lives? Not really - only in the context of the joke.Did someone give him the bread? ...was it the first time that he ate bread and save lives? someone served it to him. He regularly ate bread, but did not regularly save lives.
Another WAG (I'm sorry about that...but they come up into my mind and I think it's also funny for you to break up my stupid conclusions...is it ok?)... Hey, keep 'em coming..so the idea is that people were hidden in a trapdoor under the floor...he began to eat bread and the crumbs went down into the trapdoor so that people could eat. No. Other people were not saved by eating the bread, but by not eating it.

Are crumbs relevant? No.Did he finish the puece of bread? Did he relevantly throw away a part of it? Yes and no, in that order. But n.r. if he finished it or not.

Postby invisiblemimsy »
Loaves and fishes? No.
Was it the crust? The last piece of bread at the end of a loaf? No to both.
Was the bread actually toast, Yes!or could it have been? A pun? Yessish!Something like, 'Everyone was toast,' meaning 'everyone died' or would die if he didn't eat all the bread up You're getting warm! Explore. while it was still raw? It is not raw.Was the bread a normal loaf or roll or something? Just plain old sliced bread.
Solong

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue May 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Was it Toast By Post™️ (i.e. a service which sends a brown envelope containing a piece of toast as a gift, along with a pat of butter in foil, and one of those teeny plastic jams which are impossible to get into)?

Was it hallucinogenic toast?
Was the toast especially nice toast, addictive toast, too fattening or in other ways bad for your health?

Is this specifically a toasty thing? Could it involve toasting the others' health? Death by Toast (if you ate too much) and then you'd have a toastmortem?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Solong » Wed May 16, 2018 5:28 pm

Was it Toast By Post™️ (i.e. a service which sends a brown envelope containing a piece of toast as a gift, along with a pat of butter in foil, and one of those teeny plastic jams which are impossible to get into)? No. Is this a Scots thing?

Was it hallucinogenic toast? No

Is this specifically a toasty thing? Yes, literally.Could it involve toasting the others' health? Death by Toast (if you ate too much) and then you'd have a toastmortem?No to both, and you ought to be ashamed of yourself!
Solong

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu May 17, 2018 8:10 pm

:lol:
No; Toast By Post™️ is a Stephen Fry thing, from his book 'The Liar'. The Scots would not be interested in toast unless it was smothered in chocolate and deep fried.

Does the toastfest relevantly involve a toaster, or some other method of toasting? Did he make the toast? Did someone else make the toast? Was there also a toast to good health? Was something spread on the toast eg butter, salmon pâté? Does it matter how 'done' the toast was or what bread was used? "Talkie Toaster" relevant? Was it something like, if he didn't eat some toast, he would have to eat himself/other people?

Cockney rhyming slang? E.g. "bread" = dead in Cockney... so by toasting it you save lives?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec
invisiblemimsy

Postby Solong » Fri May 18, 2018 10:19 am

Does the toastfest relevantly involve a toaster, or some other method of toasting?Not sure what method, n.r. Did he make the toast? No.Did someone else make the toast? Yes.Was there also a toast to good health? No. Was something spread on the toast eg butter, salmon pâté? butter & maybe jam.Does it matter how 'done' the toast was YES.or what bread was used? No. "Talkie Toaster" relevant?No. Was it something like, if he didn't eat some toast, he would have to eat himself/other people? No. No cannibals in this puzzle, sorry.

Cockney rhyming slang? E.g. "bread" = dead in Cockney... so by toasting it you save lives? No.
Solong

Postby LemonCurry » Sat May 19, 2018 5:31 am

Was the toast overdone? Particularly hard?
Did someone remark „you could strike someone dead with that“? Which is no longer possible when the bread is eaten?
LemonCurry

Postby Solong » Sat May 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Was the toast overdone?Yes! Particularly hard? Not particularly.
Did someone remark „you could strike someone dead with that“? Which is no longer possible when the bread is eaten? No and no.
Solong

Postby GalFisk » Sun May 20, 2018 9:02 pm

Relevant why the toast was overdone? Is eating the toast the first action in an imagined chain of events? A very unlikely chain of events?
Whem I was a kid we had a saying that you shouldn't whisper, for those who whisper lie, and those who lie steal, and those who steal go to jail, and so on. Is something like this relevant?
Did he "save" lives in the vicinity? Same country? Same continent?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun May 20, 2018 10:34 pm

The toast was toast? (you killed it)
Do we need to work out in what way the toast saved lives?
invisiblemimsy

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Mon May 21, 2018 4:06 am

o hai extremely silly puzzlin soli-kitteh.

is the Toast Post at all relevant?

(I doubt it: here it is https://imgur.com/gallery/I2mrdVC )

"If they have no bread, let them eat cake" perhaps? (Quoting from memory) Brioche relevant? French toast? (Darn it, now I want Mimi's orange marmalade-stuffed French toast...)
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Solong » Wed May 23, 2018 1:59 am

Relevant why the toast was overdone? Sort of relevantish. Is eating the toast the first action in an imagined chain of events? Not the first. A very unlikely chain of events? Not only unlikely, but quite illogical - that's why it was a joke.
Whem I was a kid we had a saying that you shouldn't whisper, for those who whisper lie, and those who lie steal, and those who steal go to jail, and so on. Is something like this relevant? No.
Did he "save" lives in the vicinity? This. Same country? Same continent?
Solong

Postby Solong » Wed May 23, 2018 2:01 am

The toast was toast? (you killed it) He did 'destroy' it.
Do we need to work out in what way the toast saved lives? It actually did not, but he said it did. Why? and How?
Solong

Postby Solong » Wed May 23, 2018 2:03 am

o hai extremely silly puzzlin soli-kitteh.

is the Toast Post at all relevant? No.

(I doubt it: here it is https://imgur.com/gallery/I2mrdVC )

"If they have no bread, let them eat cake" perhaps? (Quoting from memory) Brioche relevant? French toast? (Darn it, now I want Mimi's orange marmalade-stuffed French toast...) No to all.
Solong

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Did he save them from the toast? Would the toast kill them if it wasn't eaten? Was the toaste overdone on purpose?
GalFisk

Postby wolfier » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:32 pm

is the hypothetical death by being too full? fire? cancer? dehydration?
wolfier

Postby Solong » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Did he save them from the toast? Would the toast kill them if it wasn't eaten? Was the toaste overdone on purpose? YES to this q., the others no or n.r.
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:13 pm

is the hypothetical death by being too full? fire? cancer? dehydration? fire, hypothetically.
Solong

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:37 am

Double meaning of "burn": to char/blacken and to incinerate relevant? Any other meanings of burn relevant? Such as burnng in hell? Being sunburnt? Suffering a burn injury? An insult?
Was toe toast overdone in order to make the joke?
GalFisk

Postby Solong » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:22 pm

Double meaning of "burn": to char/blacken mostly this. and to incinerate relevant? Any other meanings of burn relevant? Such as burnng in hell? Being sunburnt? Suffering a burn injury? An insult? m No to all.
Was toe toast overdone in order to make the joke? It was not overdone 'in order' to make the joke, but being overdone made the joke possible.
Solong

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Was it overdone by the person who ate it? Was it originally intended for the person who ate it? Was it overdone in order to annoy or inconvenience anyone? In order to make a smell? Smoke? As a challenge to the eater?
GalFisk

Postby Solong » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:02 am

Was it overdone by the person who ate it? No.Was it originally intended for the person who ate it? Yes.Was it overdone in order to annoy or inconvenience anyone? No, quite the contrary. It was overdone because some people wanted it that way. In order to make a smell? Smoke? Not 'in order' to do this, but it was a by-product. As a challenge to the eater? No.

What might be a result of 'over-browning' toast?
Solong

Postby wolfier » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:43 am

you mean the toast would catch fire?
wolfier

Postby GalFisk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:45 am

Result: fire? Smoke? Smell? Embers? Is a saying relevant? "There's no smoke without fire"?
GalFisk

Postby Solong » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:49 pm

you mean the toast would catch fire? Not necessarily.
Solong

Postby Solong » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Result: fire? Smoke? Yessish; no or n.r. to the rest. Smell? Embers? Is a saying relevant? "There's no smoke without fire"? No.
Solong

Postby GalFisk » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:48 am

Smokeish: steam? Hot air? Something only present when toast is overdone?
GalFisk

Postby Solong » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:58 am

Smokeish: Smoke is present, and is relevant-ish to the puzzle. steam? Hot air? Something only present when toast is overdone? Something that might be present, but would make itself known when smoke was there.
Solong

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:18 pm

Flames? Charcoal? Relevant to what degree the toast was overdone? Relevant what method was used to make the toast? Was it in a toaster? Oven? Iron? Was it toasted using electricity? Gas? Charcoal? Solar heat? Did the toast produce the smoke? Did something else?
GalFisk

Postby Solong » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:12 pm

Flames? Charcoal? Relevant to what degree the toast was overdone? Very dark, almost burnt.Relevant what method was used to make the toast? Was it in a toaster? Oven? Iron? Was it toasted using electricity? Gas? Charcoal? Could be any of these. Solar heat? Unlikely. Did the toast produce the smoke? Did something else? Making the toast produced the smoke.

*****************SPOILER************************
I was sharing breakfast with my elderly friend Roger at his Senior Living facility. Like many older people, he likes toast very dark, almost burnt. Toasting a dozen or more slices at once may cause the smoke alarms to go off in the kitchen. When this happened, Roger popped the last of his slice of toast into his mouth and said, "There, I just saved everybody's life."

I told you it was silly, didn't I?
Solong

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles