[Tiger] Jaws

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Tiger] Jaws

Postby Tiger » Thu May 24, 2018 3:15 pm

I'd rather be down a dollar than risk losing my life!
Tiger

Re: [Tiger] Jaws

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu May 24, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi Tiger :)

Does "I" and "Me" = you/Tiger?
Does "lose my life" = "die"?
Is this your actual life we're talking about? Or is it a "life"? E.g. in a game?
Does it cost a dollar to play the game, to stay in the game, to get an extra turn?
If you fail to pay the dollar will you definitely or probably die? Lose your life?
Would you be postponing the inevitable if you pay the dollar? Is there some chance you will survive?
Is there anything else you can do to stay alive besides paying the dollar?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Tiger » Thu May 24, 2018 6:31 pm

invisiblymimsy

Hi Tiger :)
Hi Mimsy! :)

Does "I" and "Me" = you/Tiger?
Does "lose my life" = "die"?
Yes to both.

Is this your actual life we're talking about? ← This one.
Or is it a "life"? E.g. in a game? Does it cost a dollar to play the game, to stay in the game, to get an extra turn?

If you fail to pay the dollar will you definitely or probably die? Lose your life?
No.

Would you be postponing the inevitable if you pay the dollar? Is there some chance you will survive? Is there anything else you can do to stay alive besides paying the dollar?
No/Irrel to all, I think there's a misinterpretation here.
Tiger

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu May 24, 2018 7:00 pm

Does this apply to a situation where you might gain a dollar but it'd be risky? Such as, while crossing the road you spot a dollar but decide to leave it there in favour of getting across safely?

To be clear, are you talking about losing a dollar that you currently have, or failing to gain a dollar you don't yet have?

Is there some kind of dare going on, wager or suchlike?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Tiger » Thu May 24, 2018 10:07 pm

Does this apply to a situation where you might gain a dollar but it'd be risky?
No-ish/yope-ish.

Such as, while crossing the road you spot a dollar but decide to leave it there in favour of getting across safely?
No.

To be clear, are you talking about losing a dollar that you currently have, or failing to gain a dollar you don't yet have?
First one is closer, but not exactly.

Is there some kind of dare going on, wager or suchlike?
No.
Tiger

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu May 24, 2018 10:28 pm

Gambling or other addiction relevant? Other risky behaviour or situation?
Might it help to establish what you spent/would spend the dollar on? Is it your own dollar? Could it be another amount of money or a different currency?
Is your location at the time relevant, or what you were doing?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Tiger » Fri May 25, 2018 1:09 pm

Gambling or other addiction relevant?
No.

Other risky behaviour or situation?
Yes.

Might it help to establish what you spent/would spend the dollar on? Is it your own dollar? Could it be another amount of money or a different currency?
Yes/yes/yes-ish, $1 - $2 would be most appropriate.

Is your location at the time relevant, or what you were doing?
I was at work, at the office. That's about as relevant as it gets, though.
Tiger

Postby Tiger » Mon May 28, 2018 10:03 pm

I'd rather accept that I lost a dollar than risk losing my life!
Tiger

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue May 29, 2018 1:24 pm

Did you give the dollar away? Mislay it? Lose it in an accident or mishap? Did someone else then have the dollar? Was the dollar completely lost? Would it have been dangerous to you or anyone else if you had tried to get it back? Is it relevant what you were doing at the office, generally, at the time, or the nature of your job? Is the dollar a theoretical dollar? A dollar in an account or ledger?

When you say, "lose my life", do you mean something like "It's more than my life's worth to lose even one dollar"? Are you doing the accounts or something similar? Theft or falsifying accounts relevant? Or error? Would you replace the missing dollar out of your own pocket? Is it a hypothetical dollar?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Tiger » Thu May 31, 2018 2:11 pm

Did you give the dollar away? Mislay it? Lose it in an accident or mishap? No to these.
Did someone else then have the dollar? Yes-ish. Was the dollar completely lost? No. Would it have been dangerous to you or anyone else if you had tried to get it back? No-ish... Is it relevant what you were doing at the office No., generally No., at the time Yes., or the nature of your job? No. Is the dollar a theoretical dollar? No. A dollar in an account or ledger? No.

When you say, "lose my life", do you mean something like "It's more than my life's worth to lose even one dollar"? I don't think so. Are you doing the accounts or something similar? No. Theft or falsifying accounts relevant? No. Or error? No. Would you replace the missing dollar out of your own pocket? There is no replacement. Is it a hypothetical dollar? No.
Tiger

Postby wolfier » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:00 am

If I say it involves a coworker offering to buy or bring you something for the money, while there's a risk involved for anyone getting out of the office, am I on the right track?
wolfier

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles