[WiZ] Colour Deafness

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] Colour Deafness

Postby WiZ » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:44 am

Steve is wearing a crisp white shirt. Dave is wearing a crisp tangerine shirt. 'Take off that shirt!' said Dave, in earnest, 'It is too loud!'. Why did he say this?

BOATS. No caveat.
Last edited by WiZ on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Colour Deafness

Postby Earnest » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:26 am

I should do this becayse it appears the word earnest...

Take off that shirt! = did Dave talk to Steve?

It is too loud: it = the shirt? Loud = too high volume? Noise?

Are crisps relevant?
Relevant the colors of the shirts? Are the colors of the shirts indirectly associated to noises? Do they signal something to someone? Once Steve has taken off the shirt is a sound stop to be produced? Are them in outside? In inside? Were them near one to the other? Are them in different sides of a chorus?
Earnest

Postby Zanreo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:27 am

Loud - flashy and annoying to look at? Literally noisy and high volume? Did Dave have synaesthesia and could hear colors?
Did the white shirt actually appear white? Or did it look like another color/pattern?
Zanreo

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:30 am

Image capture relevant? Image processing? Does the white shirt emit too much light? Optical brighteners relevant? UV light? Stealth?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Earnest

I should do this becayse it appears the word earnest... Indeed. This is the importance of being Earnest.

Take off that shirt! = did Dave talk to Steve? Yes, Dave is issuing this order to Steve.

It is too loud: it = the shirt? yes Loud = too high volume? yes Noise? and yes

Are crisps relevant? no
Relevant the colors of the shirts? one for the solution, one for context Are the colors of the shirts indirectly associated to noises? yes (in at least one case), explore Do they signal something to someone? no Once Steve has taken off the shirt is a sound stop to be produced? Yes, once he replaces it with an appropriate shirt Are them in outside? no In inside? yes Were them near one to the other? yes Are them in different sides of a chorus? no

Zanreo

Loud - flashy and annoying to look at? no Literally noisy and high volume? Yes. How? Did Dave have synaesthesia and could hear colors? no (I wonder what tangerine would sound like)
Did the white shirt actually appear white? yes Or did it look like another color/pattern? no

GalFisk

Image capture relevant? Image processing? Yes to both, if I understand correctly Does the white shirt emit too much light? Yes (although perhaps 'reflect' rather than 'emit') Optical brighteners relevant? UV light? Stealth? no to all
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:52 am

White noise relevant? Is an image being turned into sound? Does the white color saturate an image sensor? Does it disturb image processing algorithm? An image or video compression scheme? Contrast between the white shirt and surrounding objects relevant? Is the shirt relevantly shown on a screen? Technology for helping the blind relevant?
GalFisk

Postby wolfier » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:28 pm

party equipment relevant? e.g. a disco mirror ball?
wolfier

Postby WiZ » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:50 pm

GalFisk

White noise relevant? no Is an image being turned into sound? Yes, inadvertently Does the white color saturate an image sensor? yes Does it disturb image processing algorithm? Yes (I'm a little hazy on the science) An image or video compression scheme? no Contrast between the white shirt and surrounding objects relevant? yes Is the shirt relevantly shown on a screen? yes! Technology for helping the blind relevant? no

Wolfier

party equipment relevant? e.g. a disco mirror ball? no to these

Another one going more quickly than I thought
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:33 am

Does the screen make a noise? Is more electricity required in order to display the white color? Is an electronic system being overloaded?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:39 pm

Does the screen make a noise? The screen itself doesn't, although it is part of a device that does Is more electricity required in order to display the white color? no Is an electronic system being overloaded? no
WiZ

Postby biograd » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:56 pm

Does the shirt appear on TV? in a movie?

Does the same media production (loosely defined--what I mean is "unit of intentionally recorded stuff that is then shown together", whether or not it's "media" in the sense of being artistic or journalistic) where the shirt appears have a soundtrack to go along with it? If so, is there interference between the video and audio data?
biograd

Postby WiZ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Does the shirt appear on TV? yes in a movie? no

Does the same media production (loosely defined--what I mean is "unit of intentionally recorded stuff that is then shown together", whether or not it's "media" in the sense of being artistic or journalistic) where the shirt appears have a soundtrack to go along with it? yes If so, is there interference between the video and audio data? yes
WiZ

Postby wolfier » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:38 pm

is CCTV relevant? Are they testing surveillance devices?
wolfier

Postby WiZ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:30 pm

is CCTV relevant? Are they testing surveillance devices? no to both
WiZ

Postby Balin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:30 pm

Does the white shirt somehow reflect signals?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:27 am

Is video recording relevant? Are video and audio signals intermixed? If so, on purpose? Laserdisc relevant? VHS? Other magnetic storage? Other optical storage?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Balin

Does the white shirt somehow reflect signals? Yes!

GalFisk

Is video recording relevant? As in, from a personal VCR or similar? No Are video and audio signals intermixed? yes If so, on purpose? no Laserdisc relevant? VHS? Other magnetic storage? Other optical storage? no to all

Slightly awkward situation here - I noted down the bones of the puzzle when I read about this, but didn't delve deep into/write down the science. Then I was unable to find the article again, despite a prolonged attempt at searching. You have the basic premise of the thing - I don't know if I would be able to answer further questions accurately.

***** SPOILER *****

They are on a gameshow in the 1960s, and Dave is the host. In the early days of television, an overabundance of white space through the camera (such as Steve's shirt would create) would lead to the space being processed and converted as audible noise, which would be broadcast on TV. There's a science to this, but I can't remember it, and probably shouldn't have hosted the puzzle.

Congratulations to GalFisk and Balin, and let this be a lesson to me.
WiZ

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles