[Balin] Lateral logic puzzle

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Lateral logic puzzle

Postby Balin » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:56 pm

As the title suggests, this has both elements of a lateral thinking puzzle and a logic puzzle. I have no idea how this will go, as I've never run a puzzle of this type before, so let's have fun with it.

Six friends share a birthday. On their birthday one year, they all go to a certain place of business. After they have all exited, they have the following conversation in the parking lot outside that business:

~~~~

MALIQ: "Now that we've all received our hands, shall we play a quick game ourselves?"

DANNY: "Do we all have enough?"

TRIXY: "Let's see... yes, we all have exactly enough for a full hand!"

KELCE: "Cool! And we picked a good year to play."

FIRUV: "Why? Because you have a good hand?"

KELCE: "...actually, I do, but I meant because none of our final two cards are completely unique. We all share at least one."

JORUS: "Interesting... bah. Just a mediocre pair, and the lowest hand I could possibly have with this pair."

FIRUV: "Two pair for me."

MALIQ: "I've also got two pair."

JORUS: "You all would have at least a pair no matter what year we did this! If we'd played, say, last year, I wouldn't even have a pair."

MALIQ: "Ouch. If we'd played any other year, I'd have three of a kind."

KELCE: "Really?"

MALIQ: "Well, any other year I'd be allowed to play before now... except two years ago."

KELCE: "As it turns out, I do have three of a kind."

TRIXY: "Lucky. I've also got two pair... no, wait, I do have three of a kind! And mine beats yours!"

FIRUV: "I wish we'd played last year. I'd have beaten you all with a straight."

TRIXY: "But this is this year, and it looks like I've got the... never mind. I see Danny's trying to hide his smirk again."

DANNY: "Full house. I win."

KELCE: "But would Firuv's straight last year beat your full house this year? Since a flush is impossible, how..."

JORUS: "Who knows. How about we argue this over dinner and cake?"

FIRUV: "Agreed. Winner treats."

DANNY: "Not a chance."

~~~~

The lateral part: What are they talking about?

The logical part: If none of the friends are the same age, and all are under 40 years old, who are the oldest and youngest in the group?
Balin

Re: [Balin] Lateral logic puzzle

Postby wolfier » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:34 pm

Are they playing a "card" game where they use the relevant digits in their respective birth years as their "hands"?

A meta-question: does the first part of the puzzle need to be solved in order to solve the second question?
wolfier

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:55 pm

Did they "receive" their hands at the place of businness? Did they get actual cards? Playing cards?
Did they buy something at the place of business? receive something? relevant the motive they went there? Is it the same for all six?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:56 am

Are they playing a "card" game Yes
where they use the relevant digits in their respective birth years as their "hands"? No

A meta-question: does the first part of the puzzle need to be solved in order to solve the second question? Not sure if it's absolutely necessary, but it will certainly help..

Did they "receive" their hands at the place of businness? Yes Did they get actual cards? No Playing cards? No
Did they buy something at the place of business? Yes receive something? Yes relevant the motive they went there? Yes Is it the same for all six? Yes
Balin

Postby Balin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:57 am

Just because some of the names are unusual:
Danny, Maliq, and Jorus are male.
Kelce, Trixy, and Firuv are female.
(No one's gender is relevant to the puzzle, though.)
Balin

Postby wolfier » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:01 am

what's the minimum number of people for this puzzle to work, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6?
wolfier

Postby Balin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:14 am

what's the minimum number of people for this puzzle to work, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6? It would theoretically be possible with any non-zero number of people, so the minimum is one.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:55 am

Did they receive their hands in one time? Each year they played? Have they played all the same number of years? Is the criterion to establish the logic part to be searched in the cards? If so, can we try to do a scheme: e.g. let's call them D M J and K T and F. Do they have all the same number of cards in their hands? Can we please recap who has double/triple cards on the hand?
Bullet points:
1) they all have two cards of the same type?
2) each uear the same game repeats with old and new cards?
3) one has triole cards which are exactly the same? Have the same value? Show the same pictures? Numbers? Words?
4) is there a ranking in cards? If so is the ranking established by combining cards? Do equal cards combined have an higher value? Do triple cards combined have an higher value than two equal cards combined?
5) is there an order with which they receive cards? From the older to the younger? Vice versa? Is the age criterion established through the number of pairs? Through the number of equal cards?

P.s. are questions om the logical part allowed? If so, questions of the type "is the older number 1/2/3...?" are not allowed right?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Did they receive their hands in one time? Yes Each year they played? This is their first time playing. All statements about other years are hypothetical (but help with the logic) Have they played all the same number of years? See previous
Is the criterion to establish the logic part to be searched in the cards? Yes (remember, they do not have actual physical cards) If so, can we try to do a scheme: e.g. let's call them D M J and K T and F. Do they have all the same number of cards in their hands? Yes Can we please recap who has double/triple cards on the hand? Sure.
-Jorus has one pair.
-Maliq has two pairs.
-Firuv has two pairs.
-Kelce has three of a kind.
-Trixy has three of a kind.
-Danny has a full house (three of a kind + a pair).

Bullet points:
1) they all have two cards of the same type? Yes(ish!)
2) each uear the same game repeats with old and new cards? No - questions about other years are all hypothetical
3) one has triole cards which are exactly the same? Yes(ish!) Have the same value? Yes Show the same pictures? No Numbers? Yes(ish!) Words? No
4) is there a ranking in cards? Yes If so is the ranking established by combining cards? Partially Do equal cards combined have an higher value? Yes Do triple cards combined have an higher value than two equal cards combined? Yes
5) is there an order with which they receive cards? They receive them one after the other, but the order is unimportant/irrelevant From the older to the younger? Vice versa? Is the age criterion established through the number of pairs? Indirectly Through the number of equal cards? Indirectly

P.s. are questions om the logical part allowed? Yes If so, questions of the type "is the older number 1/2/3...?" are not allowed right? You can't say "Is this person exactly this age?" - I won't answer if my response would directly give away an answer. If you're not sure, ask, and I'll let you know if it's too direct.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Ok...so...are the numbers shown in cards related to the age of the participants? I've noticed that they are using a terminology connected with poker...is this relevant? Relevant who won the game this year? Is it Danny? Because he has a full? Relevant who would have won 1 year before? If so, may I invoke the list of participants?. 2 years before? If so same list, please.

Do they all have 5 cards in their hand? Is the specific place of business relevant? Are the hypothesis for the previous years connected to the possible pairs and combinations?
1) MALIQ has two pair this year and would have had three of a kind the previous year
2) F just said he would have won
3) T has a triple but we don't know what would have had the previous year right?

Are they playing poker with different cards? Do they have a certain control on how the cards are distributed/possible combinations? E.g. by choosing another year they are sure of what they would have had? Are the numbers on the cards connected with the current year? Do they change according to the current year? Are their birthday year relevant? The day? (If so may I invoke the list of 365 days?) The fact that a complete date is of 8 numbers (dd/mm/year)? Do they invent the rules of the game?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Ok...so...are the numbers shown in cards related to the age of the participants? Yes, and... I've noticed that they are using a terminology connected with poker...is this relevant? Yes
Relevant who won the game this year? Is it Danny? Because he has a full? Yes to all
Relevant who would have won 1 year before? It may help the logic part If so, may I invoke the list of participants?. Firuv, with a straight
2 years before? If so same list, please. Danny, with the highest two-pair

Do they all have 5 cards in their hand? Yes
Is the specific place of business relevant? Yes
Are the hypothesis for the previous years connected to the possible pairs and combinations? Yes
1) MALIQ has two pair this year and would have had three of a kind the previous year
2) F just said she would have won
3) T has a triple but we don't know what would have had the previous year right?
These are all correct

Are they playing poker with different cards? Yes (although, again, they do not have physical "cards" Do they have a certain control on how the cards are distributed/possible combinations? Yope E.g. by choosing another year they are sure of what they would have had? Yes Are the numbers on the cards connected with the current year? Their ages, so Yes Do they change according to the current year? See previous Are their birthday year relevant? See previous The day? No (If so may I invoke the list of 365 days?) The fact that a complete date is of 8 numbers (dd/mm/year)? No Do they invent the rules of the game? No, I actually learned this type of game from my father
Balin

Postby Earnest » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:22 am

Place of business: a store? A shop? The place where they worked? Are slot machines relevant? Did they "play" with their dates/age and current year to establish the eay in which mental cards are distributed among participants?
So are the playing with just 2...10 cards of each seed? Is the seed relevant? Is there a combination of 5 cards for each age? For each age above a certain number? (E.g. minimum is 2+3+4+5+6 = 20? Or if we consider the 1 also, 1+2+3+4+5 = 15) are the cards distributed so that the sum of them is the age if the participant?
Earnest

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:35 pm

Did each of them buy a gift for the other five? Are the "cards" the receipts of what they bought?

Is the "hand" a number? a 5-digits number? 11-digits?

Is the year they play 2018? one with four different digits? while the previuos year has only 3 or 2 different digits? May I invoke a LPTF list of years?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Place of business: a store? A shop? The place where they worked? No to all - although they each did purchase something at the place, I would not call it a shop or store
Are slot machines relevant? No
Did they "play" with their dates/age Yes and current year No to establish the way in which mental cards are distributed among participants? Yes (but don't think of them entirely as "mental cards" either)
So are the playing with just 2...10 cards of each seed? (we call them "suits") No, FA Is the seed relevant? See previous, FA Is there a combination of 5 cards for each age? I can't exactly answer this question, so call it a Yope For each age above a certain number? See previous, but there is a minimum age! (E.g. minimum is 2+3+4+5+6 = 20? Or if we consider the 1 also, 1+2+3+4+5 = 15) Neither of these is a minimum age are the cards distributed so that the sum of them is the age if the participant? No

Did each of them buy a gift for the other five? They each bought their own thing Are the "cards" the receipts of what they bought? No

Is the "hand" a number? No a 5-digits number? No 11-digits? No

Is the year they play 2018? It might as well be - as noted above, their age matters, but the calendar year doesn't one with four different digits? while the previuos year has only 3 or 2 different digits? May I invoke a LTPF list of years? See previous
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Is the "hand" composed of letters? letters and digits? Are their names relevant? the fact that they all have 5-letters?
Acridian9

Postby Earnest » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 pm

Ok maybe a stupid question...Could it work for football players? (They have a name and a number on their back...)

Relevant what they bought at the place of busoness? Is the place of business a bank? A restaurant? An office? An hotel? A disco? A place where usually people entertain? An hairdresser? A pharmacy? A place where usually what they have bought is sold to people? A bar? A pub? A supermarket? An insurance company? Was the place of business open when they went? Was it closing?

What they bought = a car? Something related to cards? To assignment of cards? Alchol? Cigarettes? Lottery tickets? Tickets?

Minimum age = ? list of ages (can I?), please.
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Is the "hand" composed of letters? letters and digits? This Are their names relevant? Yes! the fact that they all have 5-letters? Yes, keep going...

Ok maybe a stupid question...Could it work for football players? (They have a name and a number on their back...) Not a bad idea. It's not football players, but you have the right concept.

Relevant what they bought at the place of busoness? Yes Is the place of business a bank? A restaurant? An office? An hotel? A disco? A place where usually people entertain? An hairdresser? A pharmacy? A place where usually what they have bought is sold to people? That's not its primary purpose, but Yes - No to rest A bar? A pub? A supermarket? An insurance company?
Was the place of business open when they went? Yes Was it closing? No/Irrel

What they bought = a car? No, but VERY OTRT! Something related to cards? To assignment of cards? Alchol? Cigarettes? Lottery tickets? Tickets? No to rest

Minimum age = ? list of ages (can I?), please. I'm not going to answer this right now, but your last questions should be a huge help in figuring out the minimum age.
Balin

Postby WiZ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:09 pm

Numberplates relevant?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Numberplates relevant? Yes!
Balin

Postby Earnest » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:07 am

Minimum age = 21? 18? (It varies between UE and USA) is there someone of that age among them?They bought numberplates? Are they in a dump? To a dealer? Is the hand made by the numberplates? By the numberplates of some relevant car? Of their cars? To be sure...are numberplates in u.s. or wherever they were, composed by 3 numbers and 2 letters? 3 and 3? 4 letters and 3 numbers? Others? Relevant? Name and age relevant together with letters and numbers on tbe numberplate right? Driving license relevant? Is what they bought connected with their names and age? Is their numberplates? Did they modify somehow the letters and numbers on the numberplates according to their ages and names? Did they rend cars? Did they rend/drive something else (trucks...)? Are trucks transporting cars relevant?

Did they compare the letters inside their names with the letters on the numbetplates? If so in a certain order (e.g. first letter of name-first letter of numberplate, secobd-secobd and so on?)
Numbers: did they repeat the same exercise with their ages and numbers in the numberplate? (E.g. it was a uk car with 5 letters and 2 digits)

Place of business = gas station?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:35 pm

Place of business = gas station? No, but see below

Minimum age = 21? 18? (It varies between UE and USA) 16, see below is there someone of that age among them? Maybe They bought numberplates? Yes Are they in a dump? No To a dealer? No
Is the hand made by the numberplates? YES By the numberplates of some relevant car? Yes, see previous Of their cars? Yes, see previous
To be sure...are numberplates in u.s. or wherever they were, composed by 3 numbers and 2 letters? 3 and 3? 4 letters and 3 numbers? Can be any of these in the U.S. Connecticut, for instance, would typically issue three-number-three-letter plates, then went to five-letter-one-digit, and now I've seen a lot of two-letter-five-digit. Others? See previous Relevant? Yes, see next
Name and age relevant together with letters and numbers on tbe numberplate right? YES Driving license relevant? Yes, for the minimum age Is what they bought connected with their names and age? YES Is their numberplates? YES!! Did they modify somehow the letters and numbers on the numberplates according to their ages and names? In a way, see below
Did they rend cars? Did they rend/drive something else (trucks...)? Are trucks transporting cars relevant? No to these

Did they compare the letters inside their names with the letters on the numbetplates? If so in a certain order (e.g. first letter of name-first letter of numberplate, secobd-secobd and so on?)
Numbers: did they repeat the same exercise with their ages and numbers in the numberplate? (E.g. it was a uk car with 5 letters and 2 digits) Yes and Yes!

That sums up the lateral part:

They are at the DMV (U.S. Department of Motor Vehicles). Each person bought a vanity plate consisting of their name and current age. Their "hands" are made up of the letters and numbers on their own vanity plate. (The minimum age is 16, the earliest one can receive their driver's license in the U.S.)
Balin

Postby biograd » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:17 pm

Are the letters are actually treated as letters, and not as numbers (i.e. A = 1, B = 2, etc.)? Also I'm assuming it's their first names and not their last names, correct?

If so, I can't see how anyone would have more than two pairs, and how anyone except Danny and Kelce would have more than a pair, as nobody's age has more than two digits, and no name has any letter more than twice. If letters DO count as numbers, then DANNY = 4, 1, 14, 14, 25. If all digits count separately, then Danny has at least two triples (ones and fours) no matter how old he is. If "14" and "25" are treated as inseparable units, then to have a full house he'd need to be 11 (too young) or 44 (too old) in order to have a full house.
biograd

Postby Earnest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:53 am

Do they compare vanity plates with their cars numberplates? Do the types refer to numbers and letters? Does danny have an age consisting of two equal numbers?

They have all at least one pair = two letters equal? Two number equal? What I do not understand is that they are doing a comparison but with what? The numberplates of their cars?
Earnest

Postby biograd » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Going off what Earnest just asked, I just recalled that in poker there are also several shared cards in addition to the cards in the individual players' hands, that any player can use to complete a pair, full house, etc. So are they doing something similar here? for instance using the license plate of a random car in the DMV parking lot as the shared cards? or the month and day when they buy the vanity plates?
biograd

Postby Balin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Are the letters are actually treated as letters, and not as numbers All letters are letters, but some letters are cards, which in some cases are numbers
(i.e. A = 1, B = 2, etc.)? Not like this
[Also I'm assuming it's their first names and not their last names, correct? Correct

If so, I can't see how anyone would have more than two pairs, and how anyone except Danny and Kelce would have more than a pair, as nobody's age has more than two digits, and no name has any letter more than twice. If letters DO count as numbers, then DANNY = 4, 1, 14, 14, 25. If all digits count separately, then Danny has at least two triples (ones and fours) no matter how old he is. If "14" and "25" are treated as inseparable units, then to have a full house he'd need to be 11 (too young) or 44 (too old) in order to have a full house. This isn't how the cards become hands, but clever thinking

Do they compare vanity plates with their cars numberplates? They have purchased the vanity plates for their cars - previous license plates are irrel Do the types refer to numbers and letters? Numbers and letters are both important, Yes Does danny have an age consisting of two equal numbers? Maybe

They have all at least one pair = two numbers equal? No/not exactly Two letters equal? Possibly - OTRT What I do not understand is that they are doing a comparison but with what? See next The numberplates of their cars? Yes

Going off what Earnest just asked, I just recalled that in poker there are also several shared cards in addition to the cards in the individual players' hands, that any player can use to complete a pair, full house, etc. So are they doing something similar here? for instance using the license plate of a random car in the DMV parking lot as the shared cards? or the month and day when they buy the vanity plates? Also a clever idea, but there are no shared cards in this version of poker
Balin

Postby biograd » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:25 am

I'm gathering from your answers that we should be thinking more literally of actual playing cards. I was assuming that the only way this "license plate poker" had anything to do with playing cards was how the different combinations were named (i.e. calling a pair plus a triple a "full house", or a sequence in order a "straight"). I assumed that the analogy was limited to the fact that the numbers 0-9 and letters A-Z are sequences with a conventional order, just like ace--10 --jack--king-ace is a sequence with a conventional order, but that the analogy to actual playing cards wasn't to be taken more literally than that, i.e that this game could be called "license plate Yahtzee" just as well.

In other words, I would have assumed that "2Y22Y" would be a "full house", and that if Firuv had somehow gotten an S and a T from somewhere, she could make the "straight" RSTUV. I didn't think of making the letters and numbers correspond to actual playing cards.

Assuming that the letters and numbers do correspond to actual playing cards, do all the letters A-Z have a corresponding card? the same with all the digits 0-9? Does each letter or digit correspond to one card, or are some cards formed by combining multiple letters and/or digits? Do letters and/or numbers have "suits" as well as "values"?
biograd

Postby Earnest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:47 am

So...is it necessary to establish a correspondance between letters and values?...all ages have two digits right? And the plates contain the names with letters as in the name right? (E.g. the numberplate of firuv is FIRUV + age? Age +Firuv? Others? Relevant the order?) Is any abbreviation of the names relevant? Any transposition of the letters relevant? (E.g. if we look at the phones some if the keybords associate a suit/number to each letter...something like this?) Could someone called Jacob have played? Do the letters if the name indicate something relevant (e.g. first letter a value/second letter a suit...)? Is any correspondence with actual playing cards made?

The point is that they are doing a comparison with something right? Or it's just anyone looking at his/her own numberplate and play? Is the fact that playing cards are name jack queen king ace and so on? Is any conversion letter to sonetging else made? Letter-coordinates? Letter-numbers? Letter-cards? Others?

2nd round of qyestiona...:
1) are the tyoes if letters a relevant determinant? E.g. english alphabet words have a different value than classical alphabet letters or are considered of a different type. Or letters with certain graphical charachteristics (e.g. number of bars...) descrive one type?
2) is the pair of Jorus evident from his name? Are the two pairs of Firuv both evident from her name? (Same q. for everyone please)
3)
3) do anyone who has a full or a double pair (2+2 and 3+2) has an age made of equal digits?
4) are the two N of Danny part of the 3 of a kind? Are the two E of Kelce?

5) is there a criterion to establish their ages? Roman numbers relevant? Are their ages sonehow embedded in their names/in the letters? Number to letter conversion relevant?

6) rlevant why there was a need to buy numberplates to do this game? Could it have beeb done also by simply writing down their names and ages on a paper and hiding to others the papers to play?...I mean...could others predict what other had in their hands knowing their names and age right(Assuming they know, do they?)? If so...do we need to discover where the "randomness/stochasticity" comes from?
Is any other number derived for instnace from the idometer/others? Registration number? Other number on the numberplate?...
Earnest

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:57 pm

My guess for the digits is: 1 is Ace, 2-9 are the corresponding cards, and 0 is 10.

As for letters, I've been trying to split the 26 letters in two sets of 13, and in each set assign the values 2-10 J K Q A, but all reasonable splits/assignments i tried don't match with the clues.
(For instance, A-M and N-Z, assigning values in alphabetical order. But then Danny (4AAAQ) would have at least a three of a kind, while Maliq (K1Q94) would't have not even a pair)
Anything OTRT?

Do the letters A, J, K, Q represent the corresponding cards?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:35 am

I'm gathering from your answers that we should be thinking more literally of actual playing cards. Yes
I was assuming that the only way this "license plate poker" had anything to do with playing cards was how the different combinations were named (i.e. calling a pair plus a triple a "full house", or a sequence in order a "straight"). I assumed that the analogy was limited to the fact that the numbers 0-9 and letters A-Z are sequences with a conventional order, just like ace--10 --jack--king-ace is a sequence with a conventional order, but that the analogy to actual playing cards wasn't to be taken more literally than that, i.e that this game could be called "license plate Yahtzee" just as well.
In other words, I would have assumed that "2Y22Y" would be a "full house", and that if Firuv had somehow gotten an S and a T from somewhere, she could make the "straight" RSTUV. I didn't think of making the letters and numbers correspond to actual playing cards.

Assuming that the letters and numbers do correspond to actual playing cards, They do
do all the letters A-Z have a corresponding card? No, good question the same with all the digits 0-9? Yes Does each letter or digit correspond to one card, or are some cards formed by combining multiple letters and/or digits? Each to one card, mostly. No to combining letters/digits Do letters and/or numbers have "suits" as well as "values"? No (this is why Kelce says "a flush is impossible")

So...is it necessary to establish a correspondance between letters and values? Yes
...all ages have two digits right? Yes And the plates contain the names with letters as in the name right? Yes (E.g. the numberplate of firuv is FIRUV + age? Age +Firuv? Others? All plates are name/age. For instance, if there was a player named Jacob and he were 27, his plate would be JACOB27. Relevant the order?) No
Is any abbreviation of the names relevant? No Any transposition of the letters relevant? No (E.g. if we look at the phones some if the keybords associate a suit/number to each letter...something like this?) Clever thought, but No Could someone called Jacob have played? Yes Do the letters if the name indicate something relevant Yes, see above (e.g. first letter a value/second letter a suit...)? See above Is any correspondence with actual playing cards made? Yes, see above

The point is that they are doing a comparison with something right? Or it's just anyone looking at his/her own numberplate and play? Yes! Is the fact that playing cards are name jack queen king ace and so on? Yes Is any conversion letter to sonetging else made? See above Letter-coordinates? Letter-numbers? Letter-cards? This Others?

2nd round of qyestiona...:
1) are the tyoes if letters a relevant determinant? Only that not every letter corresponds to a card E.g. english alphabet words have a different value than classical alphabet letters or are considered of a different type. Or letters with certain graphical charachteristics (e.g. number of bars...) descrive one type? No to these
2) is the pair of Jorus evident from his name? No Are the two pairs of Firuv both evident from her name? No (Same q. for everyone please) There's a quote in the dialogue that answers part of this!
3)
3) do anyone who has a full or a double pair (2+2 and 3+2) has an age made of equal digits? No
4) are the two N of Danny part of the 3 of a kind? Yes Are the two E of Kelce? Yes

5) is there a criterion to establish their ages? Yes Roman numbers relevant? Yes! Are their ages sonehow embedded in their names/in the letters? No Number to letter conversion relevant? No

6) rlevant why there was a need to buy numberplates to do this game? No - my dad taught me "license plate poker" as a way to pass the time on long trips
Could it have beeb done also by simply writing down their names and ages on a paper and hiding to others the papers to play? Yes, this would work too ...I mean...could others predict what other had in their hands knowing their names and age right Yes (Assuming they know, do they?)? Yes, they do know If so...do we need to discover where the "randomness/stochasticity" comes from? Not sure what you mean by "randomness" here
Is any other number derived for instnace from the idometer/others? Registration number? Other number on the numberplate?... No other numbers are relevant

My guess for the digits is: 1 is Ace, 2-9 are the corresponding cards, and 0 is 10. These are all correct

As for letters, I've been trying to split the 26 letters in two sets of 13, and in each set assign the values 2-10 J K Q A, but all reasonable splits/assignments i tried don't match with the clues.
(For instance, A-M and N-Z, assigning values in alphabetical order. But then Danny (4AAAQ) would have at least a three of a kind, while Maliq (K1Q94) would't have not even a pair)
Anything OTRT? This is off the mark, see above

Do the letters A, J, K, Q represent the corresponding cards? Yes

Recap of the above answers:
-The letters and numbers of their names and ages should be converted to actual values of playing cards, but there are no suits.
-Not every letter corresponds to a playing card.
-Their vanity plates consist of their five-letter name followed by their two-digit age (ex. JACOB27).
-For numbers: 1 is Ace, 2-9 are their respective value, 0 is 10.
-For letters:
-=-A/K/Q/J are Ace/King/Queen/Jack, respectively.
-=-Roman numerals are relevant.
-There's a quote in the dialogue (actually, two quotes, now that I think about it) that hints at how much of their hand comes from their name alone.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:11 pm

So roman numbers: V =5 I= 1 X= 10, but M, C and L actually correspond to numbers not in playing cards...do they have a value used in playing cards? And Q J A K arr the corresponding playing cards? And the numbers do represent current numbers...is the I used as an addition or a subtraction factor? E.g. in Maliq L and I are near...in roman numbers this would have corresponded to a 51 if I'm not wrong...moreover she said she has two pairs...does I has the same value of A? Does she have two same digits as age?
Do they share a digit of their ages? Do they share also a letter? Unfortunately I'm travelling so I cannot produce good questions not having paper and pen...anyway I'm traying...

Anyway a doubt...we said they have 5 "cards" in their hands but actually the name do have 5 letters and digits are 2 for each one...is correspondence among normal digits (arabic o es) and roman ones relevant? Are just some specific letters relevant? Are just the letters that all have in their names relevant? Just some specific letters related to their age (their ages said in words)? Others?
Earnest

Postby biograd » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:13 am

Here's what I've gathered from the latest answers:

At least by themselves, I (the letter) =1, V=5, and X=10. It has not been established if when two of these letters appear adjacent to each other, they are separate or a single unit (i.e., if "TRIXY" is interpreted as "T, R, 1, 10, Y" or "T, R, 9, Y"). In any case, at least 7 letters correspond to cards, i.e. A, I, J, K, Q, V, and X. However, the two rules we know about (Roman numerals, and the letters on the face cards) cannot account for all the letters that are cards, as we know N and E are cards, yet neither occurs in Roman numerals.

With the rules we know about so far, Firuv has an ace and a 5. If these are the "ends" of the straight that she had last year, then her age the previous year consisted of two digits out of (2, 3, 4), with the remaining one corresponding to F, R, or U. The fact that it's possible to determine her age would imply that her age last year was either 24 or 34, because for all others, the digits can be reversed and the age would still be within the range of 16-40.
biograd

Postby biograd » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:11 am

Actually, I take that back about the 24 or 34 for Firuv. It turns out we know information not only about the hand she had last year, but the hand she has this year. Together, that may be enough to distinguish between, e.g. 23 or 32 as the age the previous year, because 24 and 33 have different digits.

However, more generally, this idea of reversing digits seems like it could tell us some useful information for everyone, not just for Firuv. Any two ages with the digits in the reverse order give the same hand--therefore if we know only what someone has one year, then either the age has the same digit twice, or the reverse of his/her age must be too young or too old.

Speaking of which, does "any other year" refer only to years that have already happened, or hypothetical future years as well (barring, of course, years when the person would be an implausible age like 152)? If it includes future years, then the age must have a doubled digit, or else it must be an age like 31 where the reverse is too young. Otherwise, it's not possible that in every other year the hand would be different.
biograd

Postby Balin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:43 pm

So roman numbers: V =5 I= 1 X= 10, Yes but M, C and L actually correspond to numbers not in playing cards... Yes... do they have a value used in playing cards? ...No And Q J A K arr the corresponding playing cards? Yes And the numbers do represent current numbers... Yes is the I used as an addition or a subtraction factor? Neither E.g. in Maliq L and I are near...in roman numbers this would have corresponded to a 51 if I'm not wrong... It would, but see below moreover she said he has two pairs... Yes does I has the same value of A? Yes Does he have two same digits as age? Maybe
Do they share a digit of their ages? Yes, this is what is meant by "none of our final two cards are completely unique - everyone shares at least one digit of their age with another person Do they share also a letter? Only what's in their names Unfortunately I'm travelling so I cannot produce good questions not having paper and pen...anyway I'm traying... You're doing very well!

Anyway a doubt...we said they have 5 "cards" in their hands but actually the name do have 5 letters and digits are 2 for each one... That's correct, but...
is correspondence among normal digits (arabic o es) and roman ones relevant? Only I, V, and X - see above Are just some specific letters relevant? Yes Are just the letters that all have in their names relevant? Some of them Just some specific letters related to their age (their ages said in words)? Not like this Others? Some of them

Here's what I've gathered from the latest answers:

At least by themselves, I (the letter) =1, V=5, and X=10. Correct It has not been established if when two of these letters appear adjacent to each other, they are separate or a single unit (i.e., if "TRIXY" is interpreted as "T, R, 1, 10, Y" or "T, R, 9, Y"). They are separate, so the "IX" is a 1 (ace) and a 10 In any case, at least 7 letters correspond to cards, i.e. A, I, J, K, Q, V, and X. These are all correct
However, the two rules we know about (Roman numerals, and the letters on the face cards) cannot account for all the letters that are cards, as we know N and E are cards, yet neither occurs in Roman numerals. All correct

With the rules we know about so far, Firuv has an ace and a 5. Correct If these are the "ends" of the straight that she had last year, They are, as that is the only possible straight then her age the previous year consisted of two digits out of (2, 3, 4), with the remaining one corresponding to F, R, or U. Correct The fact that it's possible to determine her age would imply that her age last year was either 24 or 34, because for all others, the digits can be reversed and the age would still be within the range of 16-40. See next

Actually, I take that back about the 24 or 34 for Firuv. It turns out we know information not only about the hand she had last year, but the hand she has this year. Together, that may be enough to distinguish between, e.g. 23 or 32 as the age the previous year, because 24 and 33 have different digits. Correct

However, more generally, this idea of reversing digits seems like it could tell us some useful information for everyone, not just for Firuv. Any two ages with the digits in the reverse order give the same hand--therefore if we know only what someone has one year, then either the age has the same digit twice, or the reverse of his/her age must be too young or too old. Good line of thinking. Note also that no two people have the same age

Speaking of which, does "any other year" refer only to years that have already happened, or hypothetical future years as well (barring, of course, years when the person would be an implausible age like 152)? Only to years that have already happened If it includes future years, then the age must have a doubled digit, or else it must be an age like 31 where the reverse is too young. Otherwise, it's not possible that in every other year the hand would be different. Good line of thinking
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:59 pm

To get the values of the other letters (at least N and E should have a value)....Their position in the alphabet relevant? Number of vertical/horizontal lines? Are they connected with roman numerals too? Other numeral systems relevant? Is there a rule at all that governs the missing associations letter-value?

So, Maliq's hand is AAQxy, Danny's is A(N)(N)xy, Kelce's is K(E)(E)xy, where (N) and (E) are their values and xy their respective age. Correct?

If so, then for Danny xy=1(N) or (N)1 (it can't be xy=11), but since ages are in the range 16-40 and Danny played 2 years ago, we get three possibilities:

- N=8, xy=18, hand A88A8 (A88A6 two years ago)
- N=9, xy=19, hand A99A9 (A99A7 two years ago)
- N=2, xy=21, hand A222A (A22A9 two years ago)

(N=3, xy=31, hand A333A is not possible since two years before it would have had A3329, which is not a double pair)
All good up to here?
Last edited by Acridian9 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:08 am, edited 6 times in total.
Acridian9

Postby Earnest » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 pm

I guess that now it's just a matter if applying Acridian reasonment to everybody, find the common digit to anyone and exclude the ages in which it does not appear. Then the problem becomes much simpler
Earnest

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:04 pm

There is one thing I don't understand. Firuv last year had the A2345 straight: how is it possible that this year she has a double pair? By increasing exactely one among 2,3 and 4 (A and 5 are part of the name) she gets a simple pair.

If she does have a duble pair, then the part of the hand coming from the name may vary from year to year. Is this true?
Acridian9

Postby Earnest » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:22 pm

So..Maliq must be 22 or 33 right? And KELCE's triple is eec, right? Btw I'm assuming N different from 2 since DANNY would have won with the highest pair the previous year...so I would say N =8 or 9

Recap:
-Jorus has one pair.
-Maliq =AAQxy has two pairs.
-Firuv= A2345 has two pairs.
-Kelce has three of a kind.
-Trixy has three of a kind.
-Danny = A(N)(N)xy has a full house (three of a kind + a pair) with N =8, 9 or 2 and D =1

Letters here a part from K J A Q V I X are:
C O R U S M L F E T Y D N so 13 letters if I'm correct. There is a total of numbers from 1 to 10 (or from 1 to 9 because 10 =X?) Considering that M=L in MALIQ so that they form a unique value, the total is of 11 letters. Therefore, if I'm correct, it must be that other two couples of letters share the same value and then all others should have distinct values, right? A triple of values I think, could not share the same value because for sure two couples already share the same value...right? If so that couple must be D=N or Y =N and E=C right? And her comes TRIXY case which has a triple...now, shall we assume IX = A 10 or equal to 9? If A10, TRA10Y and two among TRY should be = 10 (not to A because aready two letters share the value of A and no triple of letters can share the same value...right
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:21 am

To get the values of the other letters (at least N and E should have a value).... Both do
Their position in the alphabet relevant? Number of vertical/horizontal lines? Are they connected with roman numerals too? Other numeral systems relevant? No to all
Is there a rule at all that governs the missing associations letter-value? Yes

So, Maliq's hand is AAQxy, Danny's is A(N)(N)xy, Kelce's is K(E)(E)xy, where (N) and (E) are their values and xy their respective age. Correct? This is correct

If so, then for Danny xy=1(N) or (N)1 (it can't be xy=11), but since ages are in the range 16-40 and Danny played 2 years ago, we get three possibilities:

- N=8, xy=18, hand A88A8 (A88A6 two years ago)
- N=9, xy=19, hand A99A9 (A88A7 two years ago)
- N=2, xy=21, hand A222A (A22A9 two years ago)

(N=3, xy=31, hand A333A is not possible since two years before it would have had A3329, which is not a double pair)
All good up to here? This logic is all correct

I guess that now it's just a matter if applying Acridian reasonment to everybody, find the common digit to anyone and exclude the ages in which it does not appear. Then the problem becomes much simpler Just to clarify, the "common digit" rule does not mean that there is one particular digit in everyone's age, but that no one has two digits in their age which appear in no one else's. For instance, if there were only three people total, a trio of 18/25/28 would work because the 8s and 2s are shared, but a trio of 16/17/24 would not because 24 does not share a 2 or 4 with another age.

There is one thing I don't understand. Firuv last year had the A2345 straight: how is it possible that this year she has a double pair? That's related to what you're trying to figure out =D
By increasing exactely one among 2,3 and 4 (A and 5 are part of the name) she gets a simple pair.

If she does have a duble pair, then the part of the hand coming from the name may vary from year to year. Is this true? Yes, in that the "cards" coming from the name might be different

So..Maliq must be 22 or 33 right? Yes, keep going...
And KELCE's triple is eec, right? No, it's E/E/(digit in age)
Btw I'm assuming N different from 2 since DANNY would have won with the highest pair the previous year...so I would say N =8 or 9 This logic is correct also

Recap:
-Jorus has one pair. Yes
-Maliq =AAQxy has two pairs. Yes
-Firuv= A2345 has two pairs. No - Firuv last year had A2345 (straight); this year she has two pairs
-Kelce has three of a kind. Yes
-Trixy has three of a kind. Yes
-Danny = A(N)(N)xy has a full house (three of a kind + a pair) with N =8, 9 or 2 Yes and D =1 No, D is not 1

Letters here a part from K J A Q V I X are:
C O R U S M L F E T Y D N so 13 letters if I'm correct. There is a total of numbers from 1 to 10 (or from 1 to 9 because 10 =X?) Considering that M=L in MALIQ so that they form a unique value, the total is of 11 letters. Therefore, if I'm correct, it must be that other two couples of letters share the same value and then all others should have distinct values, right? A triple of values I think, could not share the same value because for sure two couples already share the same value...right? If so that couple must be D=N or Y =N and E=C right? And her comes TRIXY case which has a triple...now, shall we assume IX = A 10 or equal to 9? If A10, TRA10Y and two among TRY should be = 10 (not to A because aready two letters share the value of A and no triple of letters can share the same value...right Good try, but this logic is incorrect. Remember, letters are never paired up, and not every letter has a card value.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:04 am

I have to clarify some points:

Balin wrote:Btw I'm assuming N different from 2 since DANNY would have won with the highest pair the previous year...so I would say N =8 or 9 This logic is correct also

Is it possible for a pair to beat a straight?
If it were N=2, would Danny the previous year have had a pair which beat Firuv straight?

If I'm not mistaken, if N=2, Danny is 21 and his hand is A222A. Thus, the previuos year he had A22210 which is a three of a kind (not a pair, and not beating Firuv either), correct?

Balin wrote:If she does have a duble pair, then the part of the hand coming from the name may vary from year to year. Is this true? Yes, in that the "cards" coming from the name might be different

By this you mean that the "letters" coming from the name are the same each year, but the "cards" they represent might be differen?
Is it possible for a letter to represent multiple cards?

The hand is always formed by 3 cards coming from the name and two cards coming from the age, right?
The cards coming from Trixy's name are all different, right? If so, for her to have a three of a kind her age should be 22 or 33, and since Maliq too should be 22 or 33, no one else should be those ages. Then, Firuv possible ages are 24 (with one form F,U,R=4), 25 (with one form F,U,R=3) or 35 (with one form F,U,R=2), (ruling out the cases 33 (with one form F,U,R=4), 43, 44). Correct?

First letter of numbers relevant? (like T=two, F=four, S=six, E=eight, N=nine) If this is the case, could T=three, F=five, S=seven too?

Is O=10 (just because it's similar to 0)?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:54 am

I have to clarify some points:

Balin wrote:
Btw I'm assuming N different from 2 since DANNY would have won with the highest pair the previous year...so I would say N =8 or 9 This logic is correct also

Is it possible for a pair to beat a straight? No, good catch. Danny would have won with the highest pair two years ago, not last year - my bad
If it were N=2, would Danny the previous year have had a pair which beat Firuv straight? No, see above

If I'm not mistaken, if N=2, Danny is 21 and his hand is A222A. Thus, the previuos year he had A22210 which is a three of a kind (not a pair, and not beating Firuv either), correct? No, this is incorrect, see above

Balin wrote:
If she does have a duble pair, then the part of the hand coming from the name may vary from year to year. Is this true? Yes, in that the "cards" coming from the name might be different

By this you mean that the "letters" coming from the name are the same each year, but the "cards" they represent might be differen? Yes
Is it possible for a letter to represent multiple cards? Yes!

The hand is always formed by 3 cards coming from the name and two cards coming from the age, right? Yes
The cards coming from Trixy's name are all different, right? Not necessarily If so, for her to have a three of a kind her age should be 22 or 33, Not necessarily and since Maliq too should be 22 or 33, This one is correct no one else should be those ages. Then, Firuv possible ages are 24 (with one form F,U,R=4), 25 (with one form F,U,R=3) or 35 (with one form F,U,R=2), (ruling out the cases 33 (with one form F,U,R=4), 43, 44). No, but you have the right ideas Correct?

First letter of numbers relevant? (like T=two, F=four, S=six, E=eight, N=nine) Yes! If this is the case, could T=three, F=five, S=seven too? Yes!

Is O=10 (just because it's similar to 0)? No. O is One (Ace), T can also be 10, and that is all the letter-to-card conversions.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Ok! So:
- Danny is 19 (A 9 9 A 9).

- Maliq is 22 (A A Q 2 2. If it were 33, he wouldn't have had a three of a kind the year before)

- Firuv is 33 (4/5 A 5 3 3. If it were 24 she wouldn't have a double pair)

- Trixy is 20 or 30 (2/3/10 A 10 ? 10, with ?=2 or 3. As she can't be 22 or 33, to have a three of a kind she must have a 0 as last digit)

- Jorus is 21 or 26 (J A 6/7 2 ?, with ?=1 or 6. The first digit of his age can't be 1, otherwise he would have had a pair the year before. For the same reason, the last digit can't be 7. The first digit is 2 for minimality of his pair)

- Kelce is 18, 28 or 38 (K 8 8 ? 8, where ?=1,2 or 3. Three of a kind can only be achieved with the last digit 8)

Moreover, Danny has to share the last A with someone (9 can't be shared), so if Jorus is 26, then Kelce is 18.

Am I missing a clue??
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:04 pm

Ok! So:
- Danny is 19 (A 9 9 A 9).

- Maliq is 22 (A A Q 2 2. If it were 33, he wouldn't have had a three of a kind the year before)

- Firuv is 33 (4/5 A 5 3 3. If it were 24 she wouldn't have a double pair)

- Trixy is 20 or 30 (2/3/10 A 10 ? 10, with ?=2 or 3. As she can't be 22 or 33, to have a three of a kind she must have a 0 as last digit)

- Jorus is 21 or 26 (J A 6/7 2 ?, with ?=1 or 6. The first digit of his age can't be 1, otherwise he would have had a pair the year before. For the same reason, the last digit can't be 7. The first digit is 2 for minimality of his pair)

- Kelce is 18, 28 or 38 (K 8 8 ? 8, where ?=1,2 or 3. Three of a kind can only be achieved with the last digit 8)

Moreover, Danny has to share the last A with someone (9 can't be shared), so if Jorus is 26, then Kelce is 18.

Am I missing a clue?? Only one, a word I mistakenly omitted from Jorus' dialogue and have since added in. This logic is entirely correct.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Ok, then Jorus is indeed 26 and Kelce is 18.
We still don't know if Trixy is 20 or 30, but that's irrelevant since Kelce is the youngest and Firuv is the oldest.

Very nice puzzle!!!
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:00 pm

Ok, then Jorus is indeed 26 and Kelce is 18. Right
We still don't know if Trixy is 20 or 30, Actually, we do... I'll explain below
but that's irrelevant since Kelce is the youngest and Firuv is the oldest. Correct!

Very nice puzzle!!! Thank you!

****SPOILER****

Firuv is the oldest; Kelce is the youngest.

The group of six has just exited the DMV, where each has purchased a vanity license plate consisting of their name and age (i.e. JACOB27); they are now playing license plate poker with their vanity plates.

In license plate poker (which my dad taught me as a way to pass time on long car trips), the numbers and certain letters on a car's plate correspond to the values of playing cards. The way I play, letters and numbers are valued as follows:
-2 through 9 are that respective value. 1 is Ace, 0 is Ten.
-A, K, Q, and J are (respectively) Ace, King, Queen, and Jack.
-The first letter of each number (up to 10) written out indicates that card. So O is Ace (1), T can be 2/3/10, F can be 4/5, S can be 6/7, E is 8, and N is 9. (For letters that can indicate multiple card values, pick whichever one gives the better hand.)
-I, V, and X are their Roman numeral values - 1 (Ace), 5, and 10.
-All other letters have no card value.
-There are no suits.
-If a plate has more than five "cards," pick whichever five give the best hand. If a plate has less than four, it's just at a disadvantage. (These didn't apply to this puzzle.)
-If I can't tell whether a character is the letter O or the digit 0, it gets to be whichever gives the better hand. (I was going to include O and 0 as interchangeable in this puzzle, but decided against it for simplicity, which led to some miswritten clues. Sorry.)

From the conversation and the license plate poker rules, we know that each person's name contains three "cards," so the digits of their age are the last two. The puzzle then became using logic to figure out their ages (below 40 and at least 16, no two people the same age, no one having two digits exclusive to their own age).

-Danny has a full house, and his existing cards are A-9-9. He must either have two aces (which would make him 11, too young) or A/9, and the only age in range is 19.
-Maliq has A-A-Q; to have two pair he must be 22 or 33. Since he's had three of a kind every eligible year except two years prior, he's 22 (he would have had three aces at 16-19 and 21).
-Firuv (A-5-F, the F being either 4 or 5) has two pair, but would have had a straight last year. Therefore, last year she must have been 23 or 32, so she's now 24 or 33. But if she is 24, she only has one pair, so she must be 33.
-Jorus has J-A-S (6 or 7). He has a "mediocre" pair, and the lowest possible hand with that pair. If he were 22 or 33 (a pair of twos or threes in his age), he wouldn't have the "lowest possible hand" with the cards from his name. (Besides, 22 and 33 have already been eliminated.) Therefore he must have a pair of sixes, and to have the lowest possible hand, the other digit must be a two; he's 26.
-Kelce has K-8-8; to have three of a kind, she must have an 8 in her age. Thus, she is 18, 28, or 38.
-Trixy has A-10-T (2, 3, or 10), and has three of a kind. She must therefore have three 10s, and her age is 20 or 30.
-Remember, no two people have both digits in their age unique to themselves. Right now, both Danny (19) and Firuv (33) have two unique digits. The only way for someone to match Danny is for Kelce to be 18 (and youngest), meaning the only way for someone to match Firuv (now known to be oldest) is for Trixy to be 30.

Thus, their ages are:
-Kelce, 18
-Danny, 19
-Maliq, 22
-Jorus, 26
-Trixy, 30
-Firuv, 33

Well done everyone - Acridian, Earnest, biograd, WiZ, wolfier, and everyone I forgot to mention. Thanks for taking part, and excellent solve!
Balin

Re: [Balin] Lateral logic puzzle (*SOLVED*)

Postby Earnest » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:55 am

Very very well set format I liked it! Can't wait to see anther lateral logic puzzle!
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles