[Solong] Shoe fetish

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Solong] Shoe fetish

Postby Solong » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:49 pm

A couple of years ago, I hosted a puzzle on this forum that hinged on telling a Catholic chaplin from a Protestant or Jewish one by looking at their shoes. This puzzle involves shoes, but not religion.

You might not be able to tell his (or her) affiliation by looking at his/her shoes, but you could certainly tell about their experience.
Solong

Re: [Solong] Shoe fetish

Postby Twilightseeker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 am

Affiliation: professional? educational? political? hobby-related? gender/sex? nationality? level of wealth? something else?
Twilightseeker

Postby jumpingjacks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:27 pm

Which of these is relevant: the type of shoes? the brand? the physical condition of the shoes?
jumpingjacks

Postby Solong » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Affiliation: professional? Yessish. educational? political? Yessish.hobby-related? gender/sex? nationality? level of wealth? something else? Yessish.
Solong

Postby Solong » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:41 pm

Which of these is relevant: the type of shoes? This. the brand? the physical condition of the shoes?
Solong

Postby Twilightseeker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Type of shoes, as in the design and style? Are they formal shoes? Everyday shoes? Sneakers/tennis shoes? Dress shoes? Women's/men's shoes, relevantly? Flats, heels, sandals, flipflops (or slippahs as we call them in Hawai'i), house slippers, boots, stilettos?
Twilightseeker

Postby GalFisk » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Soles relevant? Weather? Have people with a certain type of shoes experienced something bad? Good? Unfortunate? Lucky? Did the experience involve shoes? Water? Weather? Slipping? Embarrassment? Injury? Could people change these shoe preferences if they saw someone else experience this? If a close friend or family member experienced this?
GalFisk

Postby Solong » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Type of shoes, as in the design and style? Yes Are they formal shoes? Everyday shoes? Sneakers/tennis shoes?Yessish. Dress shoes?also yessish. Women's/men's shoes, relevantly? Assume 'dress shoes' for men would equate with 'heels' for women.Flats, heels, Only as found on casual shoes as opposed to dress shoes. sandals, flipflops (or slippahs as we call them in Hawai'i), house slippers, boots, stilettos? No or n.r. to all.
Solong

Postby Solong » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:19 pm

Soles relevant? Dressy shoes and casual shoes often have different types of soles; otherwise n.r. Weather? No. Puzzle setting is indoors.Have people with a certain type of shoes experienced something bad?Not really bad, perhaps, but uncomfortable. Good? Unfortunate? Lucky? no or n.r.Did the experience involve shoes? Yessish Water? Weather? Slipping? Embarrassment? Injury? no to these, or n.r. Could people change these shoe preferences if they saw someone else experience this? If they have the ability to learn by observation, yes. If a close friend or family member experienced this? One would think so, yes.
Solong

Postby jumpingjacks » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:26 pm

Is comfort relevant? Is this related to some sort of formal event? A court of law? A UN meeting? Perhaps one would be inclined to turn up in dressy shoes to suit the occasion, but those with more experience know how tiring it can get, as they often have to stand? And so they wear comfy casual shoes instead?
jumpingjacks

Postby Solong » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:38 pm

Is comfort relevant? YESIs this related to some sort of formal event? Not an event, but.....A court of law? A UN meeting? Perhaps one would be inclined to turn up in dressy shoes to suit the occasion, but those with more experience know how tiring it can get, as they often have to stand? And so they wear comfy casual shoes instead?All very much OTRT. Not an event, but he is in a situation where he might be conditioned to wear more formal footgear. What might that be?
Solong

Postby jumpingjacks » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:19 pm

A professional environment? Office? Working in a hospital? Police station? A legislative assembly? Filibustering?
jumpingjacks

Postby Solong » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:39 pm

A professional environment? Office? Working in a hospital? Police station? A legislative assembly? This. Filibustering? Could be, so yope.
Solong

Postby jumpingjacks » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:23 am

Great! So at a legislative assembly, you wouldn't be able to tell someone's political persuasion or ideas on policy by looking at their shoes, but you can tell their experience, because the more experienced members know that they may have to be on their feet a lot when speaking etc, and so opt for comfy shoes. However, the less experienced ones feel like they have to dress up in formal shoes, and so reveal their noob status. Anything else to find out? =)
jumpingjacks

Postby Solong » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:12 pm

Yep, jj has basically got the
****************SPOILER****************
On being elected to the House of Represetatives from from Delaware, John Carney (a democrat, BTW) expressed himself as surprised by how much walking he had to do in a sedentary (some might say cushy) type of job. "If I have a vote, it's 1/4 mile over to the floor and a 1/4 mile back. When I'm invited to meetings...it's 3/4 mile there and 3/4 mile back. For the first few weeks, my feet were killing me. Then I noticed everyone was wearing Rockports or other soft-soled shoes...That's what you have to wear."
Solong

Postby jumpingjacks » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:33 am

Brilliant, thank you! I'll bear that in mind next time I get elected ;)
jumpingjacks

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles