[IrishElk] Alice in Wonderland {CLEAN CUP MOVE DOWN}

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IrishElk] Alice in Wonderland {CLEAN CUP MOVE DOWN}

Postby irishelk » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Help me, LTPF! What in the world is wrong with my tap water this morning!?

(Yes, that's the puzzle statement. Probably a quickie.)
Last edited by irishelk on Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] Alice in Wonderland

Postby GalFisk » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Does it fizz? Bubble? Ignite? Steam? Smell? Have a wrong color? Too cold? Too hot? Not come? Contain particles? Make people sick? Make a noise? Have wrong pressure? Wrong viscosity?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:10 pm

GalFisk

Does it fizz? Bubble? Ignite? Steam? Smell? Have a wrong color? Yope. Too cold? Too hot? Not come? Contain particles? Make people sick? Make a noise? Have wrong pressure? Wrong viscosity? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:23 am

LTPF =Latera Thinking Puzzle Forum? And is it a real world situation?

Do you use tap water every morning? Relevant the reason why you are using tap water? Do you want to dtink it? To put it in your mouth (e.g. washing teeth)? Rust relevant? Is there something actually wrong or don't you know how to solve an issue that can be solved without calling an hydraulic? Is there sonething wrong in the pipes? Have you simply open regularly the tap and the water began to flow? Is the tap in the bathroom? In the kitchen? Relevant?

Idea (maybe stupid)...you are referring just to the water right? So first of all are you sure it is the tap one? Second thing, could it be that the sink was full of water and you saw the water? If so was it dirtied by someone else maybe?
Earnest

Postby jumpingjacks » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Yope to it being the wrong colour: did you think it was the wrong colour, but it wasn't? Perhaps there was something in the bathroom / near the sink area that was reflecting its colour on the water? "Aahh! Why is my water red?? ....oh, it's just because of that neon red cloth I've got hanging by the sink..."
jumpingjacks

Postby irishelk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:57 am

Earnest

LTPF =Latera Thinking Puzzle Forum? Yes. And is it a real world situation? Yes (not actually from this morning).

Do you use tap water every morning? Yes. Relevant the reason why you are using tap water? Yes. Do you want to dtink it? Eventually, yes. To put it in your mouth (e.g. washing teeth)? Rust relevant? No. Is there something actually wrong or don't you know how to solve an issue that can be solved without calling an hydraulic? No. Is there sonething wrong in the pipes? No. Have you simply open regularly the tap and the water began to flow? At one point, yes. Is the tap in the bathroom? In the kitchen? This. Relevant? Yes.

Idea (maybe stupid)...you are referring just to the water right? Yope. So first of all are you sure it is the tap one? Not sure what you mean, but I think OTRT. Second thing, could it be that the sink was full of water and you saw the water? If so was it dirtied by someone else maybe? Not this, but OTRT.

jumpingjacks

Yope to it being the wrong colour: did you think it was the wrong colour, but it wasn't? Yes! Perhaps there was something in the bathroom / near the sink area that was reflecting its colour on the water? "Aahh! Why is my water red?? ....oh, it's just because of that neon red cloth I've got hanging by the sink..." But no.
irishelk

Postby jumpingjacks » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Are you looking at the water through something else? Did you fill a glass with tap water? Some other type of container? Perhaps you normally use a clear glass, had recently bought a lovely green glass, but instinctively still thought you were using the clear glass, and so were surprised by the green water? Were you wearing coloured glasses or contact lenses?
Is food colouring relevant? Were you washing fruits or vegetables?
jumpingjacks

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Did you have your glasses on? Sunglasses or normal? Bubbles? Sunlight, prisms?
invisiblemimsy

Postby irishelk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:19 pm

jumpingjacks

Are you looking at the water through something else? No. Did you fill a glass with tap water? No. Some other type of container? Yes. Perhaps you normally use a clear glass, had recently bought a lovely green glass, but instinctively still thought you were using the clear glass, and so were surprised by the green water? Were you wearing coloured glasses or contact lenses? No to these, good ideas.
Is food colouring relevant? No. Were you washing fruits or vegetables? No.

invisiblemimsy

Did you have your glasses on? Yes but irr. :geek: Sunglasses or normal? Bubbles? Sunlight, prisms? No to these.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:41 pm

Is the water being illuminated by something relevant? Is there a source of light of unexpected color? Light shining through something relevant (apart from the water)? Does the water look red? Blue? green? Yellow? Orange? Purple? Grey? Black? Brown? Rainbow-colored?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:48 pm

GalFisk

Is the water being illuminated by something relevant? No. Is there a source of light of unexpected color? No. Light shining through something relevant (apart from the water)? No.
Does the water look red? Blue? green? Yellow? Orange? Purple? Grey? Black? Brown? This. Rainbow-colored? No, it was too early for drugs that are that entertaining. :lol:
irishelk

Postby gregoryuconn » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:31 am

Did you forget to flush the toilet the night before, and then you saw the brown water in the bowl and and.... Well, you figure out the rest. I'm not going there.
gregoryuconn

Postby irishelk » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:08 pm

gregoryuconn

Did you forget to flush the toilet the night before, and then you saw the brown water in the bowl and and.... Well, you figure out the rest. I'm not going there. Thankfully, no. A much less disgusting brown fluid is involved.
irishelk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:24 am

For real, the water that comes out of my taps is brownish, because the source runs through peatland.
Is the source of your water relevant? The container it's in? A reflection of something nearby? Your glasses? Another sight-related situation? Would the puzzle work if the water were a different colour?

Is the water in fact not water? Is it coffee? Beer? Tea? Something else? Did you prepare the 'water' the previous night or in the morning? Were you confused or half-asleep? Did you make a mistake? Was another person involved?
invisiblemimsy

Postby irishelk » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:13 pm

invisiblemimsy

For real, the water that comes out of my taps is brownish, because the source runs through peatland. Is the source of your water relevant? No, that's interesting though. I've stayed in places with unusual-colored water before, usually near the shore. Is yours okay to drink?
The container it's in? Yesish. A reflection of something nearby? Your glasses? Another sight-related situation? No to rest.
Would the puzzle work if the water were a different colour? Not exactly the same, but I could alter the story to make it different colors =)

Is the water in fact not water? Yesish... Is it coffee? Beer? Tea? Yes! Something else? Did you prepare the 'water' the previous night or in the morning? No, but maybe explore. Were you confused or half-asleep? Both. Did you make a mistake? No, I think I acted reasonably, but I did get confused. Was another person involved? YES.
irishelk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:08 pm

irishelk wrote:invisiblemimsy

...I've stayed in places with unusual-colored water before, usually near the shore. Is yours okay to drink?

Yes, although it has a slightly strange taste which I'm not keen on. I use it for tea and coffee, but otherwise I drink bottled.
invisiblemimsy

Postby irishelk » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:52 pm

I see. I was recently living for a couple of months (not the time the puzzle takes place--thoroughly Irr. to the solution :)) that was basically below the water table, where we had to run a pump constantly in the basement, and the tap water was quite green.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Had the other person made some tea and set it out for you, and you thought it was just water in the mug?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:25 pm

trebor

Had the other person made some tea and set it out for you, and you thought it was just water in the mug? No, but you're so close. I am seeing tea and thinking it's water...
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:24 pm

Had someone else prepared the tea? If so, with cold water? With not enough tea for the amount of water? In a glass instead of in a mug?
Doriana

Postby irishelk » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:50 pm

Doriana

Had someone else prepared the tea? Yope--not the tea that I'm seeing, but... If so, with cold water? With not enough tea for the amount of water? In a glass instead of in a mug? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:24 pm

Someone else had made tea for themselves? Perhaps you are seeing what is left in the clear teapot? (I think not, based on the tea not being seen through something...)

Were you in a situation where you would have a portable source as your primary liquid supply? Camping, or something similar? And someone had made tea the night before to have cold in the morning?

Was the tea made on purpose?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:20 pm

trebor

Someone else had made tea for themselves? Yes. Perhaps you are seeing what is left in the clear teapot? (I think not, based on the tea not being seen through something...) No, but very close.

Were you in a situation where you would have a portable source as your primary liquid supply? Camping, or something similar? And someone had made tea the night before to have cold in the morning? No.

Was the tea made on purpose? The tea I am seeing, NO. Good q.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:17 am

Was a used tea bag placed in water?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Or placed it in a glass which you then filled with water?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:43 pm

GalFisk

Was a used tea bag placed in water?

trebor

Or placed it in a glass which you then filled with water?
Nice work, entirely close enough for a

******************************SPOILER

Nothing is wrong with it.

My roommate, like a crazy person, had made tea by putting teabags in the teapot and then boiling them. And, because roommates are disgusting, left the used teabags in.

I, like a normal person, filled the pot from the tap and put it on to boil. But when I poured it in a cup it was brown, causing my half-asleep brain to briefly panic about the quality of our tap water!
irishelk

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles