[Solong] 72 Norwegians

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Solong] 72 Norwegians

Postby Solong » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:32 pm

At least by my count, there were an even 6 dozen.
Solong

Re: [Solong] 72 Norwegians

Postby Earnest » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:53 am

By my count = did you use a calculator?
6 dizen = 12 x 6? 72?
There were an even dozen of objects? Of Norwegians? Of animals? Of people in general? Salmons relevant?
Of the SAME object/ animal/ people? If not, do they have something in common? Do they differ for a relevant charachteristic? Did you see them in a relevant place? If so was the place designed to host 6 even dozen of them or more? Hotels relevant? River?

Is it simple to count them? If not, is the difficulty given mainly by: speed? Difficulty in seeing them? Them disappearing at a certain point? Them being hidden by something? Them blending in? Them being difficult to recognize at a first sight or in general? Them being simply to confuse with sonething/someone else? Their size? Them being simple to count if standing and not hiding but situation in itself making it hard to count them?

Is it usual to count them? Were they moving? If so fast? (E.g. you saw salmons on a river swept downstream and you counted them?) Did you need to pay attention in order to count them? Did you need to look up? Look down? Look in front of you?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:30 pm

By my count = did you use a calculator? No - pencil & paper.
6 dizen = 12 x 6? 72? yes
There were an even dozen of objects? Of Norwegians? Yope. Of animals? Yope, leaning to no.Of people in general? Yope, but not 'in general.'Salmons relevant? No.
Of the SAME object/ animal/ people? If not, do they have something in common? This.Do they differ for a relevant charachteristic? If I understand your question, yope. Did you see them in a relevant place? Yessish. If so was the place designed to host 6 even dozen of them or more? Don't think all 72 of them were in the same place at the same time. Hotels relevant? River?No to both.

Is it simple to count them?Yes. If not, is the difficulty given mainly by: speed? Difficulty in seeing them? Them disappearing at a certain point? Them being hidden by something? Them blending in? Them being difficult to recognize at a first sight or in general? Them being simply to confuse with sonething/someone else? Their size? Them being simple to count if standing and not hiding but situation in itself making it hard to count them?No or n.r. to all.

Is it usual to count them? Probably no. Were they moving? If so fast? (E.g. you saw salmons on a river swept downstream and you counted them?) Did you need to pay attention in order to count them? Did you need to look up? Look down? Look in front of you? N.r. to all. Clarification: we are speaking of numbers qua numbers, as well as being applied to animate beings.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:45 pm

we are speaking of numbers qua numbers, as well as being applied to animate beings. --> sorry I don't understand this, can you please said it again? :)

Are they stilized when counedt? (E.g. you count them as Xs...) are we talking about fantastic creatures? Like trolls? Dwarves? Little statues? Are they animate when counted? Inanimate? Are them in a city? In relevant places in the city?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:26 am

Norwegian people relevant? Norwegian language? Norwegian nature? Culture? Folklore? History? Vikings? Winter? Sports? Winter sports? Tough Viking obstacle race?
GalFisk

Postby Solong » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:51 pm

we are speaking of numbers qua numbers, as well as being applied to animate beings. --> sorry I don't understand this, can you please said it again? :) The numbers were used as numbers in such a way that I was able to add them up without counting the entities they represented. That's the best way I can explain it.

Are they stilized when counedt? (E.g. you count them as Xs...) No. Actual Arabic numbers. are we talking about fantastic creatures? Like trolls? Dwarves? Little statues? No to all, but sort of on a parallel course to the right track. Are they animate when counted? Inanimate? When counted, they are simply numbers. Are them in a city? In relevant places in the city?Yes or yessish to both.
Solong

Postby Solong » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:53 pm

Norwegian people relevant? Norwegian language? Norwegian nature? Culture? Folklore? History? Vikings? Winter? Sports? Winter sports? Tough Viking obstacle race? No to all.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:40 pm

Ok so...between a number and the next one to be added, did you need on average to wait a lot? Minutes? Hours? Days? Seconds? Milliseconds?

So yope to norwegians, animals and people in general right? Are puns relevant (norwegians as nor vegans...ok not the best I can do xD)? Letters? Norwegians letters/symbols? Are we talking about existing animate things? (E.g. robots) people with a certain relevant characteristic? Tattoos of animals on people? Human beings? Apes? Relevant which city are we talking about? A norwrgian city? An irish city? NY? A city in Europe? Is the count increasing of 1 unit mainly near pubs? In streets? In monuments? Near statues? Museums? Ports? Reataurants? Bridges? Near traffic lights? Others?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:06 pm

Ok so...between a number and the next one to be added, did you need on average to wait a lot? Minutes? Hours? Days? Seconds? Milliseconds? between seconds and minutes

So yope to norwegians, animals and people in general right? Are puns relevant No, but you might say double meanings are. (norwegians as nor vegans...ok not the best I can do xD)? I would hope so! No, nothing like that had occurred to me. Letters? Norwegians letters/symbols? No.Are we talking about existing animate things? Yope(E.g. robots) people with a certain relevant characteristic? the people involved had relevant characteristics. Tattoos of animals on people? No.Human beings? Yessish.Apes? No. Relevant which city are we talking about? a city, or a couple of cities, is involved in a yopish sort of way. They are cities in the US. A norwrgian city? An irish city? NY? A city in Europe? Is the count increasing of 1 unit mainly near pubs? In streets? In monuments? Near statues? Museums? Ports? Reataurants? Bridges? Near traffic lights? Others? I can see why you thought of pubs. I must have been in one when I thought of this puzzle. None of these structures is involved, but (hint) nightclubs are. No, I wasn't in a nightclub!

Earnest

Solong

Postby Solong » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:01 am

This is more complicated than I expected. Let me see if I can clarify a bit.

I added up a series of numbers to reach 72. These numbers represented entities that are yopishily HAMs and a few HAFs. That is, they are yessishily human and yessishily not, if you follow me. They are not residents of Norway. They align themselves with certain animals, but they are not these animals. If you know what animal is involved, you could possibly solve the puzzle.

Perfectly clear, no?
Solong

Postby Earnest » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:20 am

If it were also an object I would have said "a mirror"...anyway. So, if I take a single entity I cannot determine neither the gender nor the nature (human or not)? If so, is it due to the fact that you were usong stylized figures to represent them (e.g. you count them as X so that you were not able to know the gender or the nature)?
Are them emoticon? Is there an ambiguity in determining gender and nature of them? Those creatures are real life creatures and not Norwegians gods or sone sort of fantastic creature right? ( e.g. creatures that were half animals and half humans or superheroes: spider man, cat woman...)

Is the animal an insect? A bird? Horses? Mammals? Fishes? Reptiles?

Are them ambiguosly humans because of the double meaning? (E.g. in one meaning they are humans and in the other they are not?)

Do the humans invoved have a relevant physical charachteristic? Were them dwarves? Wheelchairs relevant? Tattoos? Broken bones? Piercings? HaƬrstyle?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:24 am

If it were also an object I would have said "a mirror"...anyway. So, if I take a single entity I cannot determine neither the gender nor the nature (human or not)? If so, is it due to the fact that you were usong stylized figures to represent them (e.g. you count them as X so that you were not able to know the gender or the nature)?Gosh, this is getting more and more complicated. In a sense, I 'found' the numbers, which were already in use, and added them together to come up with 72.
Are them emoticon? no. Is there an ambiguity in determining gender and nature of them? Those creatures are real life creatures and not Norwegians gods or sone sort of fantastic creature right? Right, they are not a combination of human and something else. ( e.g. creatures that were half animals and half humans or superheroes: spider man, cat woman...)

Is the animal an insect? A bird? Horses? Mammals?This. Fishes? Reptiles?

Are them ambiguosly humans because of the double meaning? Don't forget, humans can figuratively be called by the names of animals. (E.g. in one meaning they are humans and in the other they are not?) ...but there is also a way in which humans can be human and not human beings at the same time.

Do the humans invoved have a relevant physical charachteristic? Were them dwarves? Wheelchairs relevant? Tattoos? Broken bones? Piercings? HaƬrstyle? no to all.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:00 am

Don't forget, humans can figuratively be called by the names of animals --> primates? Apes? Dogs?

Do anyone of us have a figurative name of an animal? Zodiac signs relevant? Are the figurative names used just in specifuc situations? (E.g. swine for inappropriate gestures related to sex...?) Or are them general names?

Is the relevant part of nughtclub: high music? Alcohol? Strippers? People going there? Teens? Lights? Dance? Drugs?

there is also a way in which humans can be human and not human beings at the same time. --> you mean they can be human beings and animals at the same time? Figuratively? Imitating animals? Does it happen when dancing? When smoking? When under the effect of drugs/ alcohol? When making relevant gestures? (E.g. howling each time a sexy girl appears on the stage?)
Earnest

Postby Solong » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:57 pm

Don't forget, humans can figuratively be called by the names of animals --> primates? Apes? Dogs? No to these.

Do anyone of us have a figurative name of an animal? Zodiac signs relevant? No.Are the figurative names used just in specifuc situations? (E.g. swine for inappropriate gestures related to sex...?) Or are them general names? Just general; as they referred to themselves by an animal name, I assume it was not intended to be insulting.

Is the relevant part of nughtclub: high music? Alcohol? These two. Strippers? People going there? Teens? Lights? Dance? these two also; the others, no.Drugs?

there is also a way in which humans can be human and not human beings at the same time. --> you mean they can be human beings and animals at the same time? Figuratively? They can be two different kinds of humans at the same time, while being animals only figuratively. Imitating animals? Does it happen when dancing? When smoking? When under the effect of drugs/ alcohol? When making relevant gestures? (E.g. howling each time a sexy girl appears on the stage?) All n.r.
Solong

Postby irishelk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Are they members of a team with an animal name? Are they fictional characters?

Are you counting the number of people who are/are aligned with a particular animal? Or category of animal? Are the hypothetical animals in some sense Norwegian? E.g. a species common to Norway?

Relevant why you are counting them? Are you grouping them in an uncommon way, i.e., the 72 wouldn't usually be considered a unit? Might someone else come up with a different number than 72?
irishelk

Postby Solong » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Are they members of a team with an animal name?No, but..... Are they fictional characters? Yessish/yes

Are you counting the number of people who are/are aligned with a particular animal?Yes Or category of animal? Are the hypothetical animals in some sense Norwegian? E.g. a species common to Norway? Pretty common everywhere, but generally referred to as Norwegian.

Relevant why you are counting them? Just for fun.Are you grouping them in an uncommon way, i.e., the 72 wouldn't usually be considered a unit? Might someone else come up with a different number than 72? Not sure what is meant here. Yes, someone else might come up with a different number, counting from different criteria.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 am

So fictional charachters present in nightclubs?
The name "party animal" relevant? Plushes relevant? Masks? Are teen called with this name? Is it possible to recognize Norwegians from a distance without having talked to them? If so, from the way they dance? From the way they drink? From the way they approach girls? From the way they generally behave?

Are cat relevant? Dogs? Can I invoke the list of mammals? Is it a specific one? Horses relevant? Is singing along relevant? Are specific songs relevant? E.g. "Only the horses"?
Catwalks relevant? Cat eyes?

Are we referring to a "category" of people? E.g. punk...is it a surname given to the winners of a challenge? Can we find animals also in college dorms? In other contests where high music, dance and alchol are present?

Are there alternative ways to classify people as animals? I mean...if I say someone is a pig, I do not expect that there are alternative animal names for someone behaving in the opposite way. At the same way if I say "someone has eagle eye" I do not have an alternative classification for others who do not have. On the contrary if I am at a masked party for instance.
Earnest

Postby Solong » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:48 pm

So fictional charachters present in nightclubs? Yessish/yope
The name "party animal" relevant? Might be called that. Plushes relevant? Masks? No. Are teen called with this name? No; perhaps most teens would not know anything about this. Is it possible to recognize Norwegians from a distance without having talked to them? These particular "norwegians," yes. If so, from the way they dance? From the way they drink? From the way they approach girls? From the way they generally behave? no or n.r. to all.

Are cat relevant? Dogs? No and no.Can I invoke the list of mammals? Invoke away!Is it a specific one? Rodents. Horses relevant? Is singing along relevant? Are specific songs relevant? E.g. "Only the horses"?
Catwalks relevant? Cat eyes? So no.

Are we referring to a "category" of people? E.g. punk...is it a surname given to the winners of a challenge? No or n.r. Can we find animals also in college dorms? I hope not! In other contests where high music, dance and alchol are present?What we are looking for is a specific group of persons, so no or n.r.

Are there alternative ways to classify people as animals? I mean...if I say someone is a pig, I do not expect that there are alternative animal names for someone behaving in the opposite way. At the same way if I say "someone has eagle eye" I do not have an alternative classification for others who do not have. On the contrary if I am at a masked party for instance. The epithet is not used in an adjectival way, and I don't think I have ever seen anyone at a masquerade dressed as one of these, though I suppose it's possible.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:28 pm

Physical appearence relevant? growing incisors in each of the upper and lower jaws? Getting sweat relevant?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:39 pm

Physical appearence relevant? growing incisors in each of the upper and lower jaws? No to both.Getting sweat relevant? n.r.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:26 pm

Do they align to one behavior/charachteristic of the rodent? Hair relevant? Smell? Norwey rat? The one that is found in houses? Hiding in holes relevant? Cheese? Traps? Escaping from something?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:51 pm

Do they align to one behavior/charachteristic of the rodent? Hair relevant? Smell? No specific characteristic.Norwey rat? The one that is found in houses? Yes, rattus norvegicus, the most common form of rat in the US.Hiding in holes relevant? Cheese? Traps? No to all. Escaping from something? they are pretty clever in doing this.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:08 am

Age restrictions for drinking alchol relevant? E.g. they were below 21 and wait that someone else vuy the drink for them. Or maybe they buy alchol themselves but try to hide it somehow...
Or again they leech the alchol of someone else? Or they wait that soneone is not able/not willing to end his/her alcholic drink, go and take it?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Age restrictions for drinking alchol relevant? E.g. they were below 21 and wait that someone else vuy the drink for them. Or maybe they buy alchol themselves but try to hide it somehow...
Or again they leech the alchol of someone else? Or they wait that soneone is not able/not willing to end his/her alcholic drink, go and take it? They do consume alcohol, legally, but that is not the main thrust of the puzzle. Other things are more relevant.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:43 pm

Other legal things that cause them to run away? Other illegal things that cause them to run away?
Smoking relevant? Do they fear to be discovered in doing something? Sonething illegal?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:58 pm

Other legal things that cause them to run away? Other illegal things that cause them to run away? they do 'run away' because they don't want to be caught.
Smoking relevant? n.r.Do they fear to be discovered in doing something? Sonething illegal? Yes, they did something illegal.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:36 am

Do they mainly perform the illegal action outside the nightclub? At the entrance? On the backdoor? Inside the nightclub? Drugs relevant? Is this illegal action typical of teens in nightclubs?
They do not want to be caught by police? By the nightclub's staff? Do tthey try to enter the nightclub without paying? And hence they run away inside the club in order to confuse themselves with the crowd? Do they perform the illegal action mainly in groups? Alone? Have they got more chances to succeed in groups? Alone?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:29 pm

Do they mainly perform the illegal action outside the nightclub? At the entrance? On the backdoor? Inside the nightclub? In various locales. "Nightclub" is not the relevant part. Drugs relevant? No. Is this illegal action typical of teens in nightclubs? The participants are not teens; it is not typical of teens or anyone else. AFAIK, it has only occurred fictionally.
They do not want to be caught by police? By the nightclub's staff? They do not want to be caught by anyone.Do tthey try to enter the nightclub without paying? More serious than that. And hence they run away inside the club in order to confuse themselves with the crowd? Do they perform the illegal action mainly in groups? Alone? Have they got more chances to succeed in groups? Alone? some parts of the action are done in groups, some alone, but coordinated.
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:22 pm

Time for a recap and hint, I think:
The puzzle refers to a group of people who are called by an animal name, and call themselves thus. They are fictional characters, but also real people (the actors who represent them are known by the same name). They are associated with entertainment, with nightclubs and like establishments, and are mostly, but not exclusively HAM. The fictional characters are engaged in a crime. Hint: they are all US citizens, but the animals that they are associated with have a connection with Norway.
Solong

Postby gregoryuconn » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:55 pm

Polar Bears? Seals? Caribou? Reindeer? Santa Clice? The Navy Seals, perhaps? Or rather actors playing Navy Seals on some TV show? My sister works on a TV drama about Seal Team members, so that's what made me think of that.

Are the actors actually committing a crime? Or just their characters (i.e. the actors are acting out committing a crime)? And is the fictional scene set in the US, or just filmed there? Perhaps it's supposed to represent some foreign country where the Navy Seals carry out their mission but for obvious reasons they wouldn't film in Afghanistan or wherever?
gregoryuconn

Postby Solong » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:52 pm

Polar Bears? Seals? Caribou? Reindeer? Santa Clice? The plural of Santa Claus? No, not any of these.The Navy Seals, perhaps? Or rather actors playing Navy Seals on some TV show? My sister works on a TV drama about Seal Team members, so that's what made me think of that. Not seals either.

Are the actors actually committing a crime? Or just their characters (i.e. the actors are acting out committing a crime)? This.And is the fictional scene set in the US, or just filmed there? Both. Perhaps it's supposed to represent some foreign country where the Navy Seals carry out their mission but for obvious reasons they wouldn't film in Afghanistan or wherever?
Solong

Postby Solong » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:15 pm

***********************SPOILER**********************8
Let's get this out of the way.
One night, my DH and I were watching "Ocean's Eleven" on TCM. He went to bed when it was over, but I went ahead and watched "Robin and the Seven Hoods," which followed, and which wasn't nearly as good.

But it got me to thinking. Many (but not all) of the so-called 'Rat Pack' movies had numbers in their titles, e.g. 'Four for Texas,' etc. I did some research, and added all the numbers up - including the remakes, sequels, and rip-offs, and came up with a total of 72. I could have misadded, of course.

I made the animal rats rattus norvigicus because that's the most common type here.
Solong

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles