[Enjay] Tick tock

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Enjay] Tick tock

Postby Enjay » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:07 pm

Today I was standing in a location where I could not see any clock of any kind. I was not wearing a watch, didn't look at a phone, and nobody told me the time. But I could tell the time perfectly, and could have continued to do so indefinitely. How?
Enjay

Re: [Enjay] Tick tock

Postby wolfier » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:54 pm

Is the location special? By "perfectly" do you mean very precisely, with errors measured in terms of seconds? minutes? hours?
Did you make use of any astronomical object?
wolfier

Postby Enjay » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:04 pm

Is the location special? Depends what you mean by special, I would say no By "perfectly" do you mean very precisely, with errors measured in terms of seconds? minutes? This - I could tell the time to the minute hours?
Did you make use of any astronomical object? No
Enjay

Postby wolfier » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:09 pm

is it relevant that you were standing instead of sitting or lying down? did you relevantly count ticks? make use of any device (e.g. a metronome)? Is music relevant?
wolfier

Postby Enjay » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:31 pm

is it relevant that you were standing instead of sitting or lying down? No did you relevantly count ticks? No make use of any device (e.g. a metronome)? A device is relevant but not like this Is music relevant? No
Enjay

Postby jumpingjacks » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:32 pm

Were you looking at something relevant? Listening to something relevant?
Would any other average person standing with you be able to tell the time as well? Or do you require some special knowledge? Eg knowledge of morse code? something similar?
jumpingjacks

Postby trebor » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:28 am

Were you near a radio? Or some other device through which the time can be announced? Are there any other relevant people in this puzzle? Relevant animals? Is the sun relevant? Are any other celestial bodies?

Do you have special training? knowledge? that enabled you to do this? Or is this something anyone could reasonably be expected to be able to do? Would you have been able to do this yesterday? Is there something specific to this day that enabled you to deduce the time correctly? From which point you could keep an indefinite, accurate, record of either the actual time or the passage of time?
trebor

Postby Enjay » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:31 am

Were you looking at something relevant? Yes Listening to something relevant? No
Would any other average person standing with you be able to tell the time as well? Yes, if they knew where to look Or do you require some special knowledge? No Eg knowledge of morse code? something similar?

Were you near a radio? No Or some other device through which the time can be announced? Yope, DOYD of announced
Are there any other relevant people in this puzzle? Relevant animals? Is the sun relevant? Are any other celestial bodies? No to all

Do you have special training? knowledge? that enabled you to do this? No Or is this something anyone could reasonably be expected to be able to do? Yes Would you have been able to do this yesterday? Yes Is there something specific to this day that enabled you to deduce the time correctly? No From which point you could keep an indefinite, accurate, record of either the actual time or the passage of time? I could tell the actual time at any point
Enjay

Postby wwhere » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:35 am

You could tell the time of the day, from 0:00 to 23:59? Could you tell the date? If you were to, say, fall sleep there, and wake up, could you immediately know the time? the date? Would it take you some time to know the time?
The place you were standing, is it a unique place? are there many like it? many in a house? many in a city? many in a country? many in a continent?
wwhere

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:29 pm

So someone could have told the time as you did if they "knew where to look." Was there a specific object that needed to be observed? A certain person? Something that displayed numbers? Something that moved at regular intervals, either the whole or a part of it? Something that indicated the position of the sun? Something that was functioning as a countdown, or a timer? Something that changed as time passed?
Would a person who wanted to tell the time this way have needed to know the time prior to getting to the position you were in? For example, you were able to know that 5 minutes had passed since you arrived at the position, and you had seen a clock just before getting there, so you would know to add 5 minutes to the last time that you saw?
CoffeeBean

Postby Enjay » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:49 pm

You could tell the time of the day, from 0:00 to 23:59? Yes Could you tell the date? I could, actually, but this isn't necessary to the solution If you were to, say, fall sleep there, and wake up, could you immediately know the time? Yes the date? Yes Would it take you some time to know the time? No, I could tell fairly instantly
The place you were standing, is it a unique place? No are there many like it? Yesmany in a house? No many in a city? In some cities, yes many in a country? Yes many in a continent? Yes

So someone could have told the time as you did if they "knew where to look." Was there a specific object that needed to be observed? Yesish A certain person? No Something that displayed numbers? Yesish Something that moved at regular intervals, either the whole or a part of it? Yes Something that indicated the position of the sun? No Something that was functioning as a countdown, or a timer? No Something that changed as time passed? Yes
Would a person who wanted to tell the time this way have needed to know the time prior to getting to the position you were in? No For example, you were able to know that 5 minutes had passed since you arrived at the position, and you had seen a clock just before getting there, so you would know to add 5 minutes to the last time that you saw? No - it would work even if you had no idea what the time was when you arrived at the place
Enjay

Postby trebor » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:11 pm

Does this thing rise/fall with the passage of time? Does it change colour? Change temperature? Make relevant sound(s)? Does it ebb and flow?

You would be able to see this thing at all times, correct? Trying to figure out how you could see it in darkness; is it illuminated by electricity? Are you standing rather close to it? Does it light up itself?
trebor

Postby wwhere » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:46 am

Is water relevant? tides?
Is a pendulum relevant?
Is the place a museum? a train/underground/bus station/airport?
wwhere

Postby wolfier » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 pm

is the object you're looking, which changes over time, man-made or natural? if former, was it made with the purpose that people can tell time from it? does that place a stationary place or does it move?
wolfier

Postby Solong » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:45 am

I can tell the time and the date by looking at the bottom right-hand corner of my monitor. Is this relevant?
...or
Some banks have a sign outside that tells the time. I suppose you could stand there for some time and watch it.
...or
I've seen such displays on billboards.
Any of this relevant?
Solong

Postby Enjay » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:05 pm

Does this thing rise/fall with the passage of time? Does it change colour? Change temperature? Make relevant sound(s)? Does it ebb and flow? No to all

You would be able to see this thing at all times, correct? Yes Trying to figure out how you could see it in darkness; is it illuminated by electricity? Yes, in that I am in a lighted room Are you standing rather close to it? Yes Does it light up itself? No

Is water relevant? tides?
Is a pendulum relevant?
Is the place a museum? a train/underground/bus station/airport? No to all

is the object you're looking, which changes over time, man-made or natural? Manmade if former, was it made with the purpose that people can tell time from it? No does that place a stationary place or does it move? It moves

I can tell the time and the date by looking at the bottom right-hand corner of my monitor. Is this relevant?
...or
Some banks have a sign outside that tells the time. I suppose you could stand there for some time and watch it.
...or
I've seen such displays on billboards.
Any of this relevant? No to all - the solution to this puzzle is much less of an obvious type of clock
Enjay

Postby wolfier » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:25 am

So the location that you're standing, is actually a moving "platform" of sorts. Is it in a motor vehicle? A train? A boat? Is the object also on this moving location or is it "outside" of it, and stays stationary?
wolfier

Postby trebor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:42 am

Sorry, I gathered that the object moves while you remain stationary. Is this accurate?

Does the location of the object change as it moves? Does it remain in the same place while some of its parts move?

Were you at this place for work? For enjoyment? Entertainment? Is it a public building? Do you pay to enter? Are you at an arena? Art gallery? Theatre? Educational institution? Research facility? Move theatre? Hospital? An office building? Is it someplace that would be considered a tourist attraction? Store/shopping centre?
trebor

Postby wwhere » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:28 am

Do you need some additional knowledge to determine the time when looking at the object? If I (a random person) were in that spot, would I be able to immediately know the time?
Are there shadows involved? A rotation?
You said there can be several such places in a city. Can there be a place like that outside a city? In a small town? In a house in the middle of the country?
The original purpose of the object, is it scientific? militar? political? religious? entertainment?
wwhere

Postby Enjay » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:13 pm

So the location that you're standing, is actually a moving "platform" of sorts. Is it in a motor vehicle? A train? A boat? Is the object also on this moving location or is it "outside" of it, and stays stationary?

Sorry, I gathered that the object moves while you remain stationary. Is this accurate? Sorry for any confusion - the place I am standing is stationary. The place I am looking to tell the time moves - "moving platform" is actually fairly accurate

Does the location of the object change as it moves? Yes Does it remain in the same place while some of its parts move? The object I look at to tell the time moves completely

Were you at this place for work? This For enjoyment? Entertainment? Is it a public building? No Do you pay to enter? No
Are you at an arena? Art gallery? Theatre? Educational institution? Research facility? Move theatre? Hospital? An office building? Is it someplace that would be considered a tourist attraction? Store/shopping centre? No to all

Do you need some additional knowledge to determine the time when looking at the object? No If I (a random person) were in that spot, would I be able to immediately know the time? Yes
Are there shadows involved? A rotation? No to both
You said there can be several such places in a city. Can there be a place like that outside a city? Yes In a small town? Yes In a house in the middle of the country? In theory, but in practice it's unlikely
The original purpose of the object, is it scientific? militar? political? religious? entertainment? No to all
Enjay

Postby wolfier » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:25 am

Is the object you're looking at designed to carry things? People? Does it have wheels? Or is it driven by weights like pulleys?
wolfier

Postby GalFisk » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Time tables relevant? Timers? Traffic? Schedules? Did you see any relevant numbers? Lights? Did you relevantly use any senses besides sight? Is the purpose of the thing you're seeing to let people know the time?
GalFisk

Postby wwhere » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:34 am

The original purpose of the object, is it industrial? artistic? is it purposeless?
wwhere

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Does the relevant object require electrical power to move or operate? Gasoline or other fuel power? Human power? Gravity power?
Is the object circular? A cylinder? Cone? Sphere? Cube? Oval? Square? Rectangle? Pyramid? Another shape?
Does the object itself display any numbers? Letters of the alphabet? Does it rotate? Descend? Ascend? Move in a pattern? Move randomly? Move at the will of an operator?
CoffeeBean

Postby Enjay » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Is the object you're looking at designed to carry things? No but it is on a "platform" designed to carry things People? Does it have wheels? No Or is it driven by weights like pulleys? No

Time tables relevant? Timers? Traffic? Schedules? No to all Did you see any relevant numbers? Yes Lights? No Did you relevantly use any senses besides sight? No Is the purpose of the thing you're seeing to let people know the time? Noish

The original purpose of the object, is it industrial? artistic? is it purposeless? No to all

Does the relevant object require electrical power to move or operate? Gasoline or other fuel power? Human power? Gravity power? The object doesn't require any of these but the platform it is on is electrically powered
Is the object circular? A cylinder? Cone? Sphere? Cube? Oval? Square? Rectangle? Pyramid? Another shape? Roughly rectangular, but actually a number of different objects could work in this puzzle
Does the object itself display any numbers? Yes Letters of the alphabet? No Does it rotate? Descend? Ascend? Move in a pattern? Yes, in that it always moves the same way Move randomly? Move at the will of an operator? Yes
Enjay

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:45 pm

So the object itself does not use any source of power? But rests on a platform that does use power?
Is the object indoors? Or outdoors? Operated directly by a person? Or indirectly? Or operated by nature?
Does the object do something at regular intervals that would help a bystander tell the time by observing it?
Is this an object that would only be found in certain places? Used by a certain person? Is it designed to assist with a function? To display information? To be a signal for something?
CoffeeBean

Postby wwhere » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:52 pm

If the current time were 14:53, and you were in that room, looking at that object...
would you see the number "14" in that object? The number "2"? The number "53"? Would you see any other number not mentioned here? Would you see any text?

You are in a room. The object is on top of a "platform" that uses electricity to move. Is the platform inside the same room as you? Does the platform move inside out of the room? is the "platform" a gear/cogwheel?

Also, still trying to find the purpose of the object. Was the object created to help know the current time? Was it created with just an aesthetic purpose? Is it just an ornament? Is it a puzzle/enigma? was it created to help move other things (like a conveyer belt)? was the object created at all?

Does the object move in relation to the platform? Or does it only move with the platform? does the platform move by itself in a pre-established way? Or does it always need an operator? If there were no operator, would you still be able to tell the time?

Is such a platform present in one-floor buildings? Is it present in buildings with many floors?
wwhere

Postby wolfier » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:46 pm

If the platform pauses moving and then resumes moving after 5 minutes, would you still be able to tell the time accurately by looking at the object? Or would it be off by more or less 5 minutes? Would anyone arriving at the place after be able to tell the exact time if they don't know the pause has happened? Can they know if the pause has happened?
wolfier

Postby gregoryuconn » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:21 am

Would a blind person be able to tell the time? A deaf person? An illeterate person? Would you still be able to tell the time if there were a nationwide power failure? If not, when the power restored would you be able to tell the time again immediately, or would the thing need to be adjusted manually first?
gregoryuconn

Postby Enjay » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:12 pm

So the object itself does not use any source of power? But rests on a platform that does use power? Yes to both
Is the object indoors? This Or outdoors? Operated directly by a person? Or indirectly? This, I think, if you mean the platform. Or operated by nature?
Does the object do something at regular intervals that would help a bystander tell the time by observing it? Yope
Is this an object that would only be found in certain places? Used by a certain person? Is it designed to assist with a function? It could actually be one of a great number of things - the primary purpose of the object isn't relevant. This particular object could be used by anyone and found in a lot of places.
To display information? Yope To be a signal for something? No

If the current time were 14:53, and you were in that room, looking at that object...
would you see the number "14" in that object? Yes The number "2"? No The number "53"? Yes
Would you see any other number not mentioned here? Would you see any text? Yes to both but not hugely relevant

You are in a room. The object is on top of a "platform" that uses electricity to move. Is the platform inside the same room as you? Yes Does the platform move inside out of the room? No is the "platform" a gear/cogwheel? No

Also, still trying to find the purpose of the object. Was the object created to help know the current time? No
Was it created with just an aesthetic purpose? Is it just an ornament? Is it a puzzle/enigma? No to all, but see above re the purpose of the object
was it created to help move other things (like a conveyer belt)? The "moving platform" is a conveyor belt, yes was the object created at all? Yes

Does the object move in relation to the platform? No Or does it only move with the platform? Yes does the platform move by itself in a pre-established way? Yes Or does it always need an operator? Yes although there probably could be a fully automatic version of this If there were no operator, would you still be able to tell the time? No - but see previous answer

Is such a platform present in one-floor buildings? Is it present in buildings with many floors? Could be either

If the platform pauses moving and then resumes moving after 5 minutes, would you still be able to tell the time accurately by looking at the object? Yes Or would it be off by more or less 5 minutes? No Would anyone arriving at the place after be able to tell the exact time if they don't know the pause has happened? Yes Can they know if the pause has happened? Possibly but not just by glancing at the object

Would a blind person be able to tell the time? No A deaf person? Yes An illeterate person? No Would you still be able to tell the time if there were a nationwide power failure? No If not, when the power restored would you be able to tell the time again immediately, or would the thing need to be adjusted manually first? I'm not sure - I think it would need adjusting/restarting

There seems to be a bit of confusion around the object and the platform so by way of a recap/hint:

I can tell the time by looking at an object (hint: actually a series of multiple identical objects) which are moving along a conveyor belt.
Enjay

Postby gregoryuconn » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:07 am

Are you at a factory? And the objects are being made and stamped with the date and time they were made?
gregoryuconn

Postby wolfier » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:20 am

Are you at a restaurant?
wolfier

Postby trebor » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:53 pm

Are you at an airport? If any random objects were placed on the conveyor belt would you be able to tell the time? Something specific to the actual place where you are? Are these things stamped/marked in a relevant way?
trebor

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles