[invisiblemimsy] When the leaves are brown

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[invisiblemimsy] When the leaves are brown

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:15 pm

Most years, around this time, I do two similar things in my car which are a waste of time. 
Last edited by invisiblemimsy on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invisiblemimsy

Re: [invisiblemimsy] When the leaves are brown

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:00 am

Halloween relevant? are the two things related one to the other? Are they a waste of time because: one excludes the other (e.g. open and close the window)? They do not have an apparent aim? Do you do them for fun?

Do you need to waste time inside your car? Do you do those things alone inside your parked car? While you are driving?
Do you do the two things outside of the car? Relevant the parts of the car involved? Wheels? Seats? windows?
Are the two things literally a wast of time? Metaphorically ( I mean, everything is a waste of time in the sense that everything takes time to be done...with literally vs metaphorically I mean: literally = I set the clock one hour ahed for some reason so that it is literally a wast of time because I have literally spend one hour in a second; metaphorically = common meaning of waste of time as doing something that does not have an apparent aim/benefit in a certain amount of time) ? Is a pun involved?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:26 pm

Earnest wrote:Halloween relevant? are the two things related one to the other? Are they a waste of time because: one excludes the other (e.g. open and close the window)? They do not have an apparent aim? Do you do them for fun?

Do you need to waste time inside your car? Do you do those things alone inside your parked car? While you are driving?
Do you do the two things outside of the car? Relevant the parts of the car involved? Wheels? Seats? windows?
Are the two things literally a wast of time? Metaphorically ( I mean, everything is a waste of time in the sense that everything takes time to be done...with literally vs metaphorically I mean: literally = I set the clock one hour ahed for some reason so that it is literally a wast of time because I have literally spend one hour in a second; metaphorically = common meaning of waste of time as doing something that does not have an apparent aim/benefit in a certain amount of time) ? Is a pun involved?
invisiblemimsy

Postby wolfier » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Is your geographical location relevant? Your country / city / town? Weather relevant? Do you do them out of choice? Out of necessity?
In the years where the waste of time activities are skipped, was there not a need to?
Is the consequence serious if you skip doing them? Are these 2 things opposite to each other?
Are these done to your car?
Last edited by wolfier on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wolfier

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:54 pm

wolfier wrote:Is your geographical location relevant? Your country this / city / town? Weather relevant? no Do you do them out of choice? yes Out of necessity?
In the years where the waste of time activities are skipped, was there not a need to? no. i.e. that wasn't the reason
Is the consequence serious if you skip doing them? no Are these 2 things opposite to each other? yes
Are these done to your car? yes
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:13 pm

I think you have not answered my questions :)
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:32 pm

Earnest wrote:I think you have not answered my questions :)

That's very strange! I answered them but LTPF seems to have lost my answers... Hold on, I'll do the again now.
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:39 pm

Earnest wrote:Halloween relevant? No are the two things related one to the other? yes Are they a waste of time because: one excludes the other yes (e.g. open and close the window)? no They do not have an apparent aim? they do have an aim Do you do them for fun? no

Do you need to waste time inside your car? no Do you do those things alone inside your parked car? yes While you are driving? no
Do you do the two things outside of the car? no Relevant the parts of the car involved? yes Wheels? Seats? windows? but not these
Are the two things literally a wast of time? yes Metaphorically ( I mean, everything is a waste of time in the sense that everything takes time to be done...with literally vs metaphorically I mean: literally = I set the clock one hour ahed for some reason so that it is literally a wast of time because I have literally spend one hour in a second; Yes, this is what I do! metaphorically = common meaning of waste of time as doing something that does not have an apparent aim/benefit in a certain amount of time) ? this too Is a pun involved? no
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:59 pm

So what we need to figure out is why you set the clock one hour ahead? Legal time relevant? Something like you do not want the time of your car to automatically go one hour back so that putting it one hour ahead you are sure that when it automatically moves to the legal hpur, the original time is not changed?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Earnest wrote:So what we need to figure out is why you set the clock one hour ahead? Yes, although that's only one part Legal time relevant? similar Something like you do not want the time of your car to automatically go one hour back so that putting it one hour ahead you are sure that when it automatically moves to the legal hpur, the original time is not changed? no, but OTRT. My car does not do this automatically.
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:43 pm

Someone changes it? If so regularly?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:57 pm

Earnest wrote:Someone changes it? Yes, I do If so regularly? yope, explore
invisiblemimsy

Postby trebor » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:27 pm

Is Daylight Savings Time relevant? Does your car maybe not update the time change, and so you have to do it yourself? Or it does it after some time has passed, at which point your set the clock forward again? Do you forget that in the fall it goes backward, so you set it forward first and then have to fix it?
trebor

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:02 pm

trebor wrote:Is Daylight Savings Time relevant? yes Does your car maybe not update the time change, correct and so you have to do it yourself? yes Or it does it after some time has passed, at which point your set the clock forward again? Do you forget that in the fall it goes backward, so you set it forward first and then have to fix it? yes indeed

***************$POILER*****************

In the UK the clocks go forward one hour on the last Sunday in March, and back one hour on the last Sunday in October. Every time I look at my car clock from April, I think, "I must change that," but I never get round to it. By the time I do, it's often October. So I then have to set it back again a week or two later. I do this most years, because I'm absent-minded!

Well done everyone!
invisiblemimsy

Re: [invisiblemimsy] When the leaves are brown **FALLEN**

Postby Earnest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:35 am

Nice one!
Earnest

Postby trebor » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:25 pm

I feel a little less alone in the world when I find someone else who is alright with having the incorrect time display in their car. And who procrastinates like I do. Ha ha!
trebor

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:22 pm

:lol:
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:36 pm

Well to be honest...I would say to be earnest...I never change it because the opportunity cost of changing it in my mind is much higher than remembering each time that the world is going 1 hour ahead or back with respect to my car's clock xD
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles