[Doriana] A little birdie told me...

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] A little birdie told me...

Postby Doriana » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Some weeks ago, a researcher (H/A/F) that I follow on twitter inadvertently became an expert on something that has nothing to do with her research. How come?
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] A little birdie told me...

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:59 am

Did she practice the activity/field in which she became expert? Expert = that had lot of knowledge on the something ? If so, was she involved in the so.ething for the very first time? Or was she interested in it from quite a lot of time? Is it simple to become expert in that something? Do people need to be resercher to become expert on the something?

inadvertently --> was it a mistake? Are puns involved? Is it something twitter related? Did she reply/post something relevantly? Is her name relevant? Did she know to have become expert? Was she running an experime t or something related to her research but discovered something else unvoluntarily (e.g. a new chemical element...)? Did someone let her notice it?

something that has nothing to do with her research = something related to academic? PhD? Or something completely of another field (e.g. a game...)?
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:08 am

Did she practice the activity/field in which she became expert? No, and possible FA Expert = that had lot of knowledge on the something ? yes If so, was she involved in the so.ething for the very first time? She had no previous experience with it, if that's what you mean Or was she interested in it from quite a lot of time? no Is it simple to become expert in that something? yes Do people need to be resercher to become expert on the something? no

inadvertently --> was it a mistake? no Are puns involved? no Is it something twitter related? No (her twitter account is where I read the story, but apart from that, it's not relevant) Did she reply/post something relevantly? See previous question Is her name relevant? no Did she know to have become expert? yes Was she running an experime t or something related to her research but discovered something else unvoluntarily (e.g. a new chemical element...)? no Did someone let her notice it? Please rephrase, I'm not sure I understand your question correctly

something that has nothing to do with her research = something related to academic? no PhD? no Or something completely of another field (e.g. a game...)? yes, but not the example you gave
Doriana

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Did she "become an expert" because something happened to her? Because she experienced something directly?
Balin

Postby Doriana » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:31 pm

Did she "become an expert" because something happened to her? Because she experienced something directly? Bit of both, could you maybe rephrase?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:39 pm

Attempting to rephrase:
Did she "become an expert" because of something that happened to her? An event? Something she did? Something she was present for?
Balin

Postby Doriana » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Attempting to rephrase:
Did she "become an expert" because of something that happened to her? Yesish An event? An event is relevant, but not one that happened to her Something she did? Also this Something she was present for? Yope, DOYD of "present"

Sorry for the vague answers - maybe a new round of questions will clear some things up?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:11 pm

OK, trying another tack:

Is her field of research relevant? Does she practice in that field, along with her research?
Would the "something that has nothing to do with her research" be considered another field?
Is it relevant that she is on Twitter?
Balin

Postby Doriana » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:35 am

Is her field of research relevant? yes Does she practice in that field, along with her research? yes
Would the "something that has nothing to do with her research" be considered another field? no
Is it relevant that she is on Twitter? no (only insofar as that's where I read the story the puzzle is based on)
Doriana

Postby Doriana » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:31 am

HINT: The "something that has nothing to do with her research" has to to with current events.
Doriana

Postby Balin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:36 am

Current events taking place in Germany? In Europe? In the U.S.? Elsewhere?
Current events in politics? Sport?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:04 am

Did she gain detailed knowledge of an event? Did something happen to her? Did she cause the event? Did her research influence the event? Or did it influence her research?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:29 am

Current events taking place in Germany? In Europe? This In the U.S.? Elsewhere?
Current events in politics? Noish Sport? No

Did she gain detailed knowledge of an event? Yesish Did something happen to her? Did she cause the event? Did her research influence the event? Or did it influence her research? No to rest
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Dis she witness the event? Was she in the wrong/right place at a relevant time? Is the event considered positive? Negative? Both? Neither?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Is Brexit relevant? Another political event?

Is her field similar to yours? The same?
trebor

Postby Doriana » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Dis she witness the event? Was she in the wrong/right place at a relevant time? No to these Is the event considered positive? Yes, by most people Negative? Both? Neither? Some would consider it neutral

Is Brexit relevant? Another political event? No to both

Is her field similar to yours? Yes, it's developmental psychology The same?
Doriana

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles