[Balin] Promises to keep (another homage)

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Promises to keep (another homage)

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:43 pm

You are in a dark room. There is a magnet in your pocket. Proceed.

Instructions & background: For several years in the 2000s, forum member ‘woubit’ would run an annual Christmas puzzle. This is my second homage; last year's can be found here.

This Christmas puzzle operates the same way as his did - the title provides a clue to what the actual puzzle is, and that puzzle has some sort of Christmas theme. (For example: the 2009 puzzle was called “There’s an old piano”; puzzlers first reasoned the continued lyric - “and they’re playing it hot behind the green door” - then deduced the green door was on an advent calendar.) To get an idea of how this will run, check out his puzzles: 2005’s, 2007’s, 2008’s, and 2009’s. They are very long (2007's is the shortest).

All forms of reference (and Internet searching) are acceptable.

At present, all you have to go on is the title and the brief introduction. Good luck.
Balin

Re: [Balin] Promises to keep (another homage)

Postby Enjay » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Focusing on the title - is the poem “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” relevant? A particular line from that poem? Robert Frost?
Enjay

Postby GalFisk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:21 pm

Is it completely devoid of light? Can you feel the walls? If you trace the magnet along the walls, does it stick to anything?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:22 pm

Focusing on the title - is the poem “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” relevant? Yes A particular line from that poem? Yes, although not an entire line Robert Frost? Only relevant as the writer of that poem

Is it completely devoid of light? Yes, right now Can you feel the walls? Yes, the wall behind me feels like cold metal If you trace the magnet along the walls, does it stick to anything? It sticks to the entire wall
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:05 am

Can you stick the magnet to the wall and see how many places it takes to circle the room and get back to the magnet? Do you encounter any light switches in the way? Door handles? Other things that are not a bare wall? Are you carrying anything else?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Can you stick the magnet to the wall and see how many places it takes to circle the room and get back to the magnet? Do you encounter any light switches in the way? Door handles? Other things that are not a bare wall? I'd rather not move too far, in case I bump into something dangerous. But from where I'm standing, the wall is entirely metal in the range I can slide the magnet Are you carrying anything else? No
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:32 pm

Ok, this may be silly, but if you move the magnet up and down, it will emit electromagnetic waves. It could become luminous if you get to a high frequence... which seams impossible with no other aid, but it may induce a current in the metal wall.

Is "And miles to go before I sleep" the relevant line of the poem?
Acridian9

Postby wolfier » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:35 pm

Is the floor also magnetic? Could you reach the ceiling? Do the temperature and humidity feel normal?
I give out a shout, does the echo sound like the room is large or small?
wolfier

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:32 am

Ok, this may be silly, but if you move the magnet up and down, it will emit electromagnetic waves. It could become luminous if you get to a high frequence... which seams impossible with no other aid, but it may induce a current in the metal wall. This doesn't work

Is "And miles to go before I sleep" the relevant line of the poem? It may help, but it is not the most relevant line

Is the floor also magnetic? Now that I've stuck the magnet to the wall, it's not coming off Could you reach the ceiling? No Do the temperature and humidity feel normal? Yes
I give out a shout, does the echo sound like the room is large or small? I can't tell

I think you're getting off track - focus on how the magnet (and that it sticks to the wall) plus the puzzle title (and the clues deciphered from that so far) get you something related to Christmas. If you look at the 2007 puzzle, it'll give you an idea of how this one will work
Balin

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:59 am

Is there a bell you can jingle to summon help?
peter365

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Are you in front of a fridge? :D

Is the relvant line "To ask if there is some mistake"? Is there a mistake in the title?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Is there a bell you can jingle to summon help? Not that I can see or feel (although I really should have thought of that)

Are you in front of a fridge? :D I don't think so

Is the relvant line "To ask if there is some mistake"? No Is there a mistake in the title? No
Balin

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:00 pm

The magnet makes me think of the North Pole . THe line from the poem 'the only other sounds the sweep.........' makes me think of chimneys (chimney sweep). Both of the above lead me to Santa Claus

Any of these ramblings relevant?
peter365

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:02 pm

The magnet makes me think of the North Pole . THe line from the poem 'the only other sounds the sweep.........' makes me think of chimneys (chimney sweep). Both of the above lead me to Santa Claus

Any of these ramblings relevant? To the Christmas season, absolutely. To this puzzle, unfortunately no. (though that is excellent logic)
Balin

Postby trebor » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 pm

Is the horse the relevant part of the poem? The saddle? The farmhouse? Is the relevant part of the poem in the first stanza? Second? Third? Fourth?

Synonyms for magnet relevant? Such as carrot, as in to dangle a carrot as a lure? Snowmen relevant?

I'd never heard of this song before, but a quick google reveals there is a song entitled "Magnet and Steel". Does anything happen if you sing this song?
trebor

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:04 pm

Is the horse the relevant part of the poem? ]b]This, which should render no need to answer the rest of this set[/b] The saddle? The farmhouse? Is the relevant part of the poem in the first stanza? Second? Third? Fourth?

Synonyms for magnet relevant? No Such as carrot, as in to dangle a carrot as a lure? No Snowmen relevant? No

I'd never heard of this song before, but a quick google reveals there is a song entitled "Magnet and Steel". Does anything happen if you sing this song? Nothing, but I feel a bit ridiculous
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Is it relevant that the horse is little? a pony?
The shape of the magnet has any relevance?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:49 pm

Is it relevant that the horse is little? a pony? No, "horse" is all you need from the poem
The shape of the magnet has any relevance? No
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:03 am

Are horseshoes relevant?
Is the "Christmas related" thing we have to find a song? an ornament?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:36 am

Are horseshoes relevant? No
Is the "Christmas related" thing we have to find a song? Songs will be more relevant later on, but right now, you're not looking for a song. You are trying to figure out where you are, and you're in a location related to Christmas an ornament? No
Balin

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:09 am

I have just realized that Peter's connection of magnet -> North Pole is quite literally on the right track.
Balin

Postby trebor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:03 am

Are you in Santa's workshop?
trebor

Postby peter365 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:33 am

Are you on board the polar express?
peter365

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:39 am

Are you in Santa's workshop? No, but...

Are you on board the polar express? ...Yes indeed.
A magnet attracts iron; the narrator of "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" is on a horse. Combine the two and you get "iron horse," slang for a train.

Suddenly, the light flips on, revealing the interior of a locomotive, decorated with all sorts of tinsel and other Christmas ecoutrements. A rather short man stands facing you.

"Welcome aboard the LTPF Polar Express!" he bellows, although his high voice makes the bellowing less impressive.

You look at him, suspiciously. "Aren't you supposed to look more like Tom Hanks?"

"Didn't you hear me? This is the LTPF Polar Express. He gets the regular one. Although..." He pulls a stopwatch out of nowhere and checks it. "...we need to get started if we're going to catch up to him before we reach the North Pole. Unfortunately, he got all the fuel."

You look around. "So, am I the only one here, or..."

He looks up, surprised. "Of course not! There's lots of kids in the passenger cars." He pulls a lever and you hear a noise; turning to face the back wall, you see that a comically large filing cabinet has extended from both walls. But the door is still there, so you step toward it; however, the short man stops you.

"We've got to get started," he explains. "You can check out the rest of the train after we're moving."
Balin

Postby peter365 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:34 am

Can you open the filing cabinet ? Can you describe its contents?
peter365

Postby GalFisk » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Do you need diesel? Oil? Wood? Coal? Coke? Uranium? Gas? Hydrogen?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:51 am

Can you open the filing cabinet? Can you describe its contents?

You slide open one drawer of the filing cabinet; the force of its opening nearly knocks you flat on your back. You get up and take a look.

The drawer is full of stockings, each with a name on top. Iris, Isaac, Isabel... they're alphabetized, and all full of toys.

You turn to the short man, who says, "I don't find out until today who I'm bringing up north, so I've got emergency stockings for anyone who might end up on this train instead of the big one."

"Do you know who you've got today?"
'
"Nope." He shakes his head. "Although the big boss tells me that one kid who might be on board has been naughty. Unusual, to bring up a kid from the naughty list, but I've prepared just in case."

"Have I got a stocking?" you ask.

"Yup!" The short man pulls a stocking out from behind his back. "Here ya go."

I open my stocking and pull out:
-a Denver Broncos jersey,
-two copies of the video game Call of Duty,
-a DVD of the movie A Beautiful Mind,
-and an apple with a bit taken out of it.

I look up at the short man, who shrugs. "I got hungry. Sorry."

Do you need diesel? Oil? Wood? Coal? Coke? Uranium? Gas? Hydrogen? "This is an old-fashioned coal-powered locomotive," says the short man.
Balin

Postby peter365 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:46 am

Is the Bronco's jersey no. 7 ? Does it have Elway emblazed on it? Does the apple the bit out of it represent the Apple Inc. logo?

Would you describe two DVDs of Call of Duty as Calls of Duty?
peter365

Postby Balin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:28 pm

Is the Bronco's jersey no. 7 ? No; it does display a number, but that number is 30 Does it have Elway emblazed on it? There is a nameplate on the back but the name is covered up. I look to the short man, who says, "Freshly made. Needs time to adhere properly."

Does the apple the bit out of it represent the Apple Inc. logo? Yes

Would you describe two DVDs of Call of Duty as Calls of Duty? That is a clever way to describe them, but in this case, No.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:16 pm

So, Phillip Lindsay? Is it just the name that is relevant? or the position (RB)? age (24)? college (Colorado)?

Relevant which version(s) the two CoD cd's are?

Louis Bova relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:17 am

So, Phillip Lindsay? Yes - I was expecting the first guess after I gave the number to be Terrell Davis, so this is nice to see Is it just the name that is relevant? or the position (RB)? age (24)? college (Colorado)? Just his name

Relevant which version(s) the two CoD cd's are? They are of the original game

Louis Bova relevant? No
Balin

Postby trebor » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:35 am

Are the initials PL relevant? P.L. Travers?

Can you ask the man if he has brought a lump of coal for the naughty kid? Perhaps we could use that to get the train going.
trebor

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:26 pm

Are the initials PL relevant? P.L. Travers? No and No - for now, you can hold onto Phillip Lindsay's name and focus on the other gifts in your stocking

Can you ask the man if he has brought a lump of coal for the naughty kid? "Well, you know how Santa handles the naughty kids. I wouldn't be surprised if he stuffed that stocking with far more than a single lump." Perhaps we could use that to get the train going. Good idea, but there are so many stockings filed away, making it hard to get an idea where to begin looking.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:27 pm

What is relevant for CoD: date of release? developers? names of characters? other in-game detail? WWII?

For A Beautiful Mind: John Nash? Ron Howard? Russel Crowe?

Btw: do we need find the name of a person for each object?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:29 am

What is relevant for CoD: date of release? developers? names of characters? other in-game detail? WWII? This is close, and one other thing that's been mentioned but not asked about. (There are two connected clues for Call of Duty, which is why there are two copies.)

For A Beautiful Mind: John Nash? This Ron Howard? Russel Crowe?

Btw: do we need find the name of a person for each object? No, and for some clues there is more than one step of logic - for instance, you've gone from A Beautiful Mind to John Nash, now you need to go from John Nash to something else
Balin

Postby trebor » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:12 am

Is the relevant thing about the apple Jobs? Wozniak? Tim Cook? A product of theirs? The little i?

I know next to nothing about CoD. Is the other relevant thing a train? To do with trains? Fuel? Was it mentioned before we were handed our stocking? After

Is Nash's mental illness relevant? His contributions to game theory? Differential geometry? Partial differential equations? Is his wife relevant? The fact that he abandoned Eleanor Stier and their son? The fact that both of his sons are named John?
trebor

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Is the relevant thing about the apple Jobs? Wozniak? Tim Cook? A product of theirs? This The little i?

I know next to nothing about CoD. That's fine; you don't need extensive knowledge of Call of Duty for this clue, and any forms of search aid (Google and the like) are allowed Is the other relevant thing a train? To do with trains? Fuel? No to these Was it mentioned before we were handed our stocking? After After - it's been mentioned twice now in context with the game, but never asked about

Is Nash's mental illness relevant? His contributions to game theory? Differential geometry? Partial differential equations? Is his wife relevant? The fact that he abandoned Eleanor Stier and their son? The fact that both of his sons are named John? No to these
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Is storage format relevant for CoD? CD? DVD?

The band War relevant?

For John Nash: Nobel prize? some other person named Nash? other Nobel winner?
Acridian9

Postby trebor » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:15 pm

MacBook? iPad? iPhone? iMac? iPod? Macintosh?iTunes?
trebor

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Is storage format relevant for CoD? CD? DVD? No to these

The band War relevant? No

For John Nash: Nobel prize? No some other person named Nash? Yes, but more than just that... other Nobel winner? No

MacBook? iPad? iPhone? iMac? iPod? Macintosh? This - or more succinctly, "Mac." The apple happens to be a McIntosh, the namesake of Apple's Macintosh line iTunes?
Balin

Postby trebor » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:41 am

Is there another person named John Nash?
trebor

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:00 am

Is the name Call of Duty relevant? The abbreviation CoD? Cod the fish?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Is there another person named John Nash? Yes, several, one of whom is relevant

Is the name Call of Duty relevant? The abbreviation CoD? Yes Cod the fish? Yes, in conjunction with the other relevant CoD clue (now that you have the abbreviation, I can abbreviate it too)
Balin

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Cod Wars (which I had definitely heard about before googling just now) relevant? Iceland?
Enjay

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:20 pm

For John Nash, wikipedia lists 4 politicians, 4 sportsmen, 2 architects, a painter, an archdeacon , a railroad executive and Johnny Nash.... my gues is the last one, isn't it?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:52 am

Cod Wars (which I had definitely heard about before googling just now) relevant? Iceland? This isn't right, but after clicking that link, I wish it was right. (Remember, it's not "WWII" that's the other relevant thing, but "something related to WWII"

For John Nash, wikipedia lists 4 politicians, 4 sportsmen, 2 architects, a painter, an archdeacon , a railroad executive and Johnny Nash.... my gues is the last one, isn't it? No, but you have listed him - it's one of the architects you want
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:26 am

So the John Nash that built the Royal Pavilion and Buckingham Palace?

Cod liver oil relevant? Fish & chips?

If I got it right, the logical chain starting with the jersey ends with Phillip Lindsey. Is it Phillip the relavant name? or is it Lindsay?
Does the chain starting with the apple ends with Mac? ....because I found a Lindsay Mac.....
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:25 pm

So the John Nash that built the Royal Pavilion and Buckingham Palace? Yes

Cod liver oil relevant? Fish & chips? Neither

If I got it right, the logical chain starting with the jersey ends with Phillip Lindsey. It does Is it Phillip the relavant name? or is it Lindsay? The latter
Does the chain starting with the apple ends with Mac? Yes ....because I found a Lindsay Mac..... Interesting, but incorrect
Balin

Postby Enjay » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:05 pm

OK Google tells me that Fleetwood football club supporters are known as the Cod Army, so:

Fleetwood, Mac, Buckingham Palace, and Phillip Lindsey --> Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:08 pm

OK Google tells me that Fleetwood football club supporters are known as the Cod Army, so:

Fleetwood, Mac, Buckingham Palace, and Phillip Lindsey --> Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac? Exactly right, so...
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:55 am

Stevie Nicks? Adams?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:22 am

Stevie Nicks? Adams? No, not them. Remember, that this is a Christmas puzzle, so the solution will have something to do with the holiday
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm

So, a song from Lindsey? Holiday Road? If so, Jack? a character from National Lampoon's vacation?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:53 pm

So, a song from Lindsey? Yes Holiday Road? And Yes If so, Jack? And a third Yes. a character from National Lampoon's vacation?

With Holiday Road running through your head, you check the stocking for "Jack" and find it stuffed full of coal. The short man dives for it.

"Perfect! That'll get us going!" He runs up to the train's front boiler and tosses the entire stocking in. After tinkering with the boiler for a minute, the short man steps back as the train's engine roars to life. He stands proudly at the front of the locomotive and announces into an intercom: "Boys and girls, puzzlers of all ages, the Lateral Polar Express has begun its journey!" Sure enough, the train starts rolling, and you can hear loud cheers coming from concealed speakers. The cheers cut off, and you notice the short man has taken his finger off a button on the intercom.

"I've got some errands to run. Go explore the train."

He starts rummaging through the stocking filing cabinet, and you pass through the door into the next car. You've opened the door and taken just one step in when you trip over something and you fall on your face. Fortunately, you catch yourself, but only by putting your left hand on a toy xylophone and your right hand on a pile of discarded Legos. Standing up and rubbing your palms, you look around.

This car is not lit and the blinds on the windows are drawn, but light occasionally flashes through gaps. The floor of the car is cluttered with toys, and there isn't enough light to get through, so there's no way to know where to step safely, as your feet are only protected by thin-soled slippers.

Looking down at the item you tripped over, you spot a few small wrapped presents with a large envelope atop the now-scattered pile. The envelope contains two small sticks with round balls on the end, and a note:

for the abandoned toy car. the snow will follow.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Are the sticks fire matches?
The song Try to Remember relevant? the musical The Fantasticks? the movie?
Acridian9

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles