[Hobbsicle] I've Got Another Puzzle

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Hobbsicle] I've Got Another Puzzle

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Chuck, an employee at a factory, is asked one day to paint the exterior of a conveyor belt. He does this, and does it well, but he begins to paint a little further down the line than he was asked to. Although it looks fine, and doesn't change the functionality in any way, his boss, Bill, sees what is being done, angrily demands that he stop, and immediately begins destroying some of the product, even though there is nothing wrong with it. Why?
Hobbsicle

Re: [Hobbsicle] I've Got Another Puzzle

Postby Earnest » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Conveyor belt as an escalator? A tapit roulant? Are gyms involved? Are luggages? Airports? Was the belt meant to transport something? Did the painted belt look like some other belts present in the surroundings? Was it painted in a public building? Are geaffiti relevant?

Was the belt meant to transport the products of the firm? Relevant which products? Was him asked to paint it for security reasons? Did he paint it on a wall? On another engine? On a glass? Relevant the material used to paint?

Did the employer stopped him thinking he was trying to avoid doing another job?

he begins to paint a little further down the line  --> did he need to respect certain measures? Is food involved? Is fresh paint a concern? Are chemical subsrances? Could it create confusion for other employees? A little = a meter? Less than a millimiter? Less than a centimeter?
Is the "surplus" part a concern? Could it be a sign? Could it signal the presence of something?

Relevant the reason why he was asked to paint the belt?
To cover something? To renovate an existing painting?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:58 pm

Is it relevant what is being produced in the factory? Is it relevant why Chuck painted further than he was supposed to? Did he misunderstand the instructions? To frustrate his boss? To make something safer? More dangerous? Was his intent to be malicious? To follow orders? To be helpful? To increase productivity?

He “begins to paint” a little further down the line, as in the place he commenced painting is outside of the area he was asked to paint? He paints the requested area and then continues, beginning to paint where he wasn’t asked to? Relevant?
trebor

Postby WiZ » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:23 am

Does this take place in a chocolate factory?
WiZ

Postby Hobbsicle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:22 pm

Earnest

Conveyor belt as an escalator? A tapit roulant? Are gyms involved? Are luggages? Airports? No to these
Was the belt meant to transport something? Yes
Did the painted belt look like some other belts present in the surroundings? No
Was it painted in a public building? No
Are geaffiti relevant? No

Was the belt meant to transport the products of the firm? Yes Relevant which products? Only relevant what kinds of products they sell, not really which ones would be used with that particular belt Was him asked to paint it for security reasons? assume no
Did he paint it on a wall? On another engine? On a glass? Not entirely sure I understand these questions, but assume he was painting the exterior of the conveyor belt assembly (as opposed to the belt itself)
Relevant the material used to paint? No

Did the employer stopped him thinking he was trying to avoid doing another job? No

he begins to paint a little further down the line --> did he need to respect certain measures? Sort of, yes Is food involved? Yes Is fresh paint a concern? Yes Are chemical subsrances? yesish
Could it create confusion for other employees? No
A little = a meter? Less than a millimiter? Less than a centimeter? Assume a meter or more
Is the "surplus" part a concern? yope
Could it be a sign? Could it signal the presence of something? No to these

Relevant the reason why he was asked to paint the belt? Not really
To cover something? To renovate an existing painting? Assume this

trebor

Is it relevant what is being produced in the factory? Yes
Is it relevant why Chuck painted further than he was supposed to? Not really Did he misunderstand the instructions? Probably some of this... To frustrate his boss? To make something safer? More dangerous? Was his intent to be malicious? To follow orders? To be helpful? And this To increase productivity?

He “begins to paint” a little further down the line, as in the place he commenced painting is outside of the area he was asked to paint? Correct He paints the requested area and then continues, beginning to paint where he wasn’t asked to? Yes Relevant? Not relevant whether he finished the previous job, only relevant that he is now painting outside the initial requested area

WiZ

Does this take place in a chocolate factory? Indeed (Can’t slip anything past you!)
Hobbsicle

Postby trebor » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:17 am

I’ve never read the book and it’s been years since I’ve seen the movies. Would remembering anything about them $poyle the puzzle?
trebor

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:01 am

I’ve never read the book and it’s been years since I’ve seen the movies. Would remembering anything about them $poyle the puzzle? No, this actually has nothing to do with any of that, I just dropped a couple of clues that referenced it because it takes place in a chocolate factory. This is based on a true story, actually.
Hobbsicle

Postby Earnest » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:25 am

Was the fabric meant to be visited? Is the exterior part mainly decorative? Did it relevantly resembled something? Is the belt meant to transport chocolate in a relevant phase of production? Liquid chocolate? Solid? Are packages relevant? Was there a relevant button in the "surplus" meter? Something that needed to be handled by workers? If so did he paint it? Does fresh paint strain on something? Relevant the color of the paint? Brown? Relevant the type of chocolate produced there? Milk choco? Was it necessary for employees to see the color/quality of what was transported in the belt? Relevant? Was "the surplus meter" of painting located in a crtitical part of production? For instance where chocolate moved from the belt to another machinary?

Optical illusions relevant? Did the paint made appear the belt longer than it was? Was it a concern? Are umpa lumpa relevant xD? Can we assume the painting was done with regular paint?
Earnest

Postby JenBurdoo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Was Bill correct to reprimand Bill? To destroy the product?

Was the chocolate actually defective? The packages? Did the conveyor belt split at this point? Was the chocolate supposed to be collected by other employees? Another ingredient added? Quality Control relevant?
JenBurdoo

Postby GalFisk » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:00 pm

Is the belt in use while he's painting? Type of paint relevant? Method of application? If so: brush? Roller? Spray? Is there a danger of contamination to the food? Is a rule being broken?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Earnest

Was the fabric meant to be visited? I assume you mean factory? No
Is the exterior part mainly decorative? Yes, or nothing especially relevant about its intended purpose
Did it relevantly resembled something? No
Is the belt meant to transport chocolate in a relevant phase of production? Liquid chocolate? Solid? Irrel, assume solid
Are packages relevant? No
Was there a relevant button in the "surplus" meter? No Something that needed to be handled by workers? No-ish If so did he paint it?
Does fresh paint strain on something? No-ish
Relevant the color of the paint? No Brown?
Relevant the type of chocolate produced there? Milk choco? Probably many kinds, don't think it's relevant
Was it necessary for employees to see the color/quality of what was transported in the belt? Relevant? irrel
Was "the surplus meter" of painting located in a crtitical part of production? Yes!
For instance where chocolate moved from the belt to another machinary? Not this though

Optical illusions relevant? No Did the paint made appear the belt longer than it was? No Was it a concern?
Are umpa lumpa relevant xD? Always...but not in this puzzle
Can we assume the painting was done with regular paint? Yes

JenBurdoo

Was Bill correct to reprimand Bill? Yes To destroy the product? Yes

Was the chocolate actually defective? Well, yes-ish, might be misleading The packages? No
Did the conveyor belt split at this point? Yes! (or at least it crossed a definite boundary) Was the chocolate supposed to be collected by other employees? No or irrel Another ingredient added? No Quality Control relevant? Not as a specific role, per se, but the quality of the product is relevant

GalFisk

Is the belt in use while he's painting? Irrel Type of paint relevant? No (I mean, there might be some that wouldn't work for the puzzle, but I don't know much about that) Method of application? No If so: brush? Roller? Spray?
Is there a danger of contamination to the food? Yes! Very slight "ish", maybe Is a rule being broken? Perhaps, irrel whether it's a "rule", but he did go beyond the boundaries of his instructions, and those boundaries are relevant
Hobbsicle

Postby trebor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:45 pm

Would the food be contaminated by the paint? By a food item? Does he have to go through a sealed entryway to get to that part of the belt? Would it have been contaminated if he had just gone and touched both areas of the belt instead of painting them?
trebor

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles