[IrishElk] Room For One More

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IrishElk] Room For One More

Postby irishelk » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:31 pm

Rose successfully pulls off a scheme that she is certain will shock her employer. But she is the one who ends up shocked, while the employer is not surprised at all.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] Room For One More

Postby Earnest » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:51 pm

Rose = HAF? Scheme = a set of moves? A strategy? A summary of ideas? A painted scheme? Was the scheme written? Printed? Scheme = a plot? A plan? Something related to her work?

she is certain will shock her employer = because it was innovative? It proposed a solution never explored before? Did she expect her employer to be proud of her? To be happy? Was the scheme intended to: solve a problem? Gain more? Extinguish competitors? Better a product? Invent a new one? Face financial difficulties? Did the employer required her to pull off a scheme?

Did she end up shocked because something went "out of the scheme"? Something unexpected happened? The employer made her notice something she did not notice before? The employer had already pulled off the scheme? The same one? Another one? Someone else already pulled off a better scheme? She did not know something that instead the employer did?,

Relevant her work? Is food relevant? Clothing? Hotels? Restaurants? Banks? Cars? Planes? Music? Entertainment? Cinema? Technology? Internet? Does the firm provide services? Sell products?
Earnest

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:59 pm

True story? FYOI? FSEI?

Is Rose her real name? Or if this is a character she is playing, is Rose her character's real name? Is Rose from St. Olaf, Minnesota?

Is Rose the sort of person who thinks up outlandish schemes on a regular basis? Does she have a habit of coming up with statements those around her (friends/roommates? colleagues?) think are rather foolish?

I have no idea what scheme this is or may be, but when I saw the puzzle statement I could think of only one possible Rose, and even if I'm wrong I'll be interested to see where this goes, lol.
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby gregoryuconn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:40 am

Her employer = her direct supervisor? Her team? Her whole company? Relevant what industry she works in? Was this a good shock? Or a bad shock? Or is some meaning of "shock" other than "astonish" relevant, like economic shock or electrocution?
gregoryuconn

Postby irishelk » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:44 pm

Earnest

Rose = HAF? Yes. Scheme = a set of moves? Yes. A strategy? A summary of ideas? A painted scheme? Was the scheme written? Printed? Scheme = a plot? A plan? Or this. Something related to her work? Yes.

she is certain will shock her employer = because it was innovative? No. It proposed a solution never explored before? No. Did she expect her employer to be proud of her? No. To be happy? No. Was the scheme intended to: solve a problem? Gain more? Extinguish competitors? Better a product? Invent a new one? Face financial difficulties? Not really any of these. Did the employer required her to pull off a scheme? No.

Did she end up shocked because something went "out of the scheme"? Not really... Something unexpected happened? But yes. The employer made her notice something she did not notice before? Yes, Notice or realize. The employer had already pulled off the scheme? The same one? Another one? Someone else already pulled off a better scheme? No to these--the employer had done something relevant, but I wouldn't call it a "scheme." She did not know something that instead the employer did?, Yes.

Relevant her work? Yes. Is food relevant? Clothing? Hotels? Restaurants? Banks? Cars? Planes? Music? Entertainment? Cinema? Technology? Internet? No to all! Does the firm provide services? Sell products? No, FA.

KayleeArafinwiel

True story? FYOI? This, very possible that it's happened before. FSEI?

Is Rose her real name? Yes. Or if this is a character she is playing, is Rose her character's real name? Is Rose from St. Olaf, Minnesota? Haha, not that Rose.

Is Rose the sort of person who thinks up outlandish schemes on a regular basis? Irr. Does she have a habit of coming up with statements those around her (friends/roommates? colleagues?) think are rather foolish? Irr.

I have no idea what scheme this is or may be, but when I saw the puzzle statement I could think of only one possible Rose, and even if I'm wrong I'll be interested to see where this goes, lol. Lol! Not Betty White, unfortunately, but actually a little bit OTRT.

gregoryuconn

Her employer = her direct supervisor? Technically, yes, but neither would think of the relationship this way. Her team? No. Her whole company? No/FA. Relevant what industry she works in? Yes. Was this a good shock? Or a bad shock? The planned one--bad. The actual one--could be either. Or is some meaning of "shock" other than "astonish" relevant, like economic shock or electrocution? "Astonish" is correct.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:24 pm

Did she plan to do this at work? At home? Somewhere else? Did she intend for her employer to find out what she did? Was anyone else involved in pulling off her plan? Could anyone be said to be a victim of her actions? Had the employer anticipated that someone might do what she wanted to do?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:31 pm

GalFisk

Did she plan to do this at work? Partially. At home? Noish. Somewhere else? Yes. Did she intend for her employer to find out what she did? Yes. Was anyone else involved in pulling off her plan? Someone else relevant, but not a co-conspirator. Could anyone be said to be a victim of her actions? Debatable, but I'd say yes. Had the employer anticipated that someone might do what she wanted to do? No or irr.
irishelk

Postby JenBurdoo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Was she planning to trick the other relevant person? Anyone else?

Was the scheme to be pulled off over email? in person? snail mail? telephone?

Would the scheme take a significant amount of time to prepare or execute? Seconds/minutes/hours/days/more?

Would there be a financial loss involved? Or was the scheme humorous in nature, such as a practical joke?
JenBurdoo

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles