[Balin] Ghost stories? (*PUT TO SLEEP*)

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Ghost stories? (*PUT TO SLEEP*)

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:55 am

On an ordinary Monday night, I went for a drive. When I arrived at my destination, I heard a woman say goodbye to me. I was alone and there was no one else in the immediate area. What was going on?
Balin

Re: [Balin] Ghost stories?

Postby WiZ » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:43 am

Is the day relevant? Your destination? The fact you travelled by car?

Was the woman saying goodbye to you live? Was it a recording? Did the voice come from something in your car (radio/auxillary device, SatNav, Phone)? Were you still in the car when you heard her?

Did she address you specifically, or just say 'Goodbye'? If not in the immediate area, was there a woman nearby?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:02 am

Is the day relevant? No Your destination? No The fact you travelled by car? Not particularly

Was the woman saying goodbye to you live? Yope Was it a recording? No (with the very slightest of Yopes thrown in) Did the voice come from something in your car Yes (radio/auxillary device, SatNav, Phone)? None of these Were you still in the car when you heard her? Yes

Did she address you specifically, or just say 'Goodbye'? The former - she said my name If not in the immediate area, was there a woman nearby? No/Irrel
Balin

Postby gregoryuconn » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:09 am

Did it come from a computer? So when you say she said your name, did she say your full name? Just your first name? Was she saying good bye to you specifically or just someone with that name? Like maybe you were listening to an audiobook and the last line before you turned off the book and exited the car was one of the characters saying "Good bye [your name which I won't reveal your secret identity,]"?
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:05 pm

Did the voice come from a speaker? From a woman, directly? From an animal? Did you imagine it?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:17 pm

Did it come from a computer? Yes So when you say she said your name, did she say your full name? Just your first name? She said, "bye [my first name]" Was she saying good bye to you specifically or just someone with that name? Me specifically Like maybe you were listening to an audiobook and the last line before you turned off the book and exited the car was one of the characters saying "Good bye [your name which I won't reveal your secret identity,]"? No

Did the voice come from a speaker? See above From a woman, directly? It was a woman speaking over the computerFrom an animal? No Did you imagine it? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:28 am

Relevant that the voice said goodbye once you reached the destination and not before? Did it said somethibg else during the travel? Was it the first time it spoke? Was the voice recorded? Programmed to say goodbye? Did it refer precisely to you or to anyone with your name?

Skype calls relevant? Music relevant? Did the voice said it once you stopped the car? Relevant? Car electronics relevant? Was the voice live? (could you have a regular conversation with the woman?) Did it say your first and last name? Was the computer a laptop? Did you reply to the goodbye?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:25 pm

Relevant that the voice said goodbye once you reached the destination and not before? Yes Did it said somethibg else during the travel? No Was it the first time it spoke? No Was the voice recorded? No Programmed to say goodbye? No Did it refer precisely to you or to anyone with your name? Specifically me

Skype calls relevant? No Music relevant? No Did the voice said it once you stopped the car? Shortly after Relevant? Yes, it may help Car electronics relevant? No Was the voice live? Again, emphatic Yope (could you have a regular conversation with the woman?) Not in the way you're thinking Did it say your first and last name? No, my first name only Was the computer a laptop? Yes Did you reply to the goodbye? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:32 pm

Conversation = you giving commands? Google relevant? Siri on mac? GPS relevant? Video relevant? Have you ever seen the woman to which you were talking? Had a live interaction with her? Talk to her face to face?
Did you say goodbye first? Vocal recognition relevant?
If the voice was yopely live, did it come from a human through the laptop?

Did you do something relevant when you stopped the car? Something activating the voice? Did you close the laptop? Was the laptop connected to a source of battery in the car? Through an usb cable? Whatsapp web relevant? E.g. you got a vocal message on whatsapp web which had been automatically reproduced by the car?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:32 pm

Conversation = you giving commands? Google relevant? Siri on mac? GPS relevant? No to these Video relevant? Yes Have you ever seen the woman to which you were talking? Yes Had a live interaction with her? Yes(ish) Talk to her face to face? No
Did you say goodbye first? Yes Vocal recognition relevant? No
If the voice was yopely live, did it come from a human through the laptop? Yes

Did you do something relevant when you stopped the car? Yes Something activating the voice? Yes Did you close the laptop? Not when I stopped the car
Was the laptop connected to a source of battery in the car? No Through an usb cable? No Whatsapp web relevant? No E.g. you got a vocal message on whatsapp web which had been automatically reproduced by the car? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:54 pm

Was the volume of the laptop turned up before you stopped the car? After? Was the laptop closed before stopping the car? After? Was any relevant modification to the status of the laptop done after havibg stopped the car? Was the laptop somehow connected to the car? Through wi-fi? Touch screen relevant? Is the start and stop mechanism relevant? Did you activate something when you stopped the car? If so while closing the car? While putting the handbrake? While turning off the key?
speakerphone relevant? Siri relevant? Parking relevant?
Are the car keys relevant? Did you have something relevant as key ring? Did you press a relevant button? Is the "goodbye" referred to the fact that you were leaving the car (did you?)? That you were turning off the laptop? Mc Drive relevant?

Had you ever talk to her face to face? No --> had you wanted to talk face to face with her, could it have been possible?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:53 pm

Was the volume of the laptop turned up before you stopped the car? Yes (the volume was never adjusted during the course of the puzzle) After? Yes Was the laptop closed before stopping the car? Yes After? Yes Was any relevant modification to the status of the laptop done after havibg stopped the car? Yes Was the laptop somehow connected to the car? No Through wi-fi? No Touch screen relevant? No Is the start and stop mechanism relevant? No Did you activate something when you stopped the car? Just after, Yes If so while closing the car? While putting the handbrake? While turning off the key? Between turning off the ignition and exiting the car
speakerphone relevant? Siri relevant? No to these Parking relevant? Only per above
Are the car keys relevant? No Did you have something relevant as key ring? No Did you press a relevant button? No Is the "goodbye" referred to the fact that you were leaving the car No (did you?)? Yes That you were turning off the laptop? Noish, FA Mc Drive relevant? No

Had you ever talk to her face to face? No --> had you wanted to talk face to face with her, could it have been possible? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:25 am

So from the closed laptop a voice told you "goodbye [your name]", right? And the laptop is your personal one, a classical laptop just put on the seat of your car right? Seat belts relevant? Were you talking previously with the woman? At the phone maybe? Bluetooth relevant? Screen saver? Games? Is the woman just repeating words that were written in a device (e.g. google voice)? Battery relevant? Did the relevant modification allow you to hear from the laptop? Headphones relevant?

Internet connection relevant? Did you touch the laptop when you stopped the car? Remote controll relevant? Did the automatic lights activate relevantly? Did you activate the something accidentally? Voluntarily? Did the something activate automatically? Did it usually activate when your car is stopped? When a car in general is stopped?

Did you take the laptop in order to bring it with you? In doing so, did you relevantly press a button? Google translation relevant? Google voice? Was the laptop falling maybe as a consequence of the slow down to stop the car? Had the laptop a relevant modification before stopping the car and you wanted to check if everything was fine?

Had you turned off the ignition before, would the puzzle still work?
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:52 pm

Is undoing your seatbelt relevant?
peter365

Postby Balin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:08 am

So from the closed laptop a voice told you "goodbye [your name]", right? Yes (although just "bye," not "goodbye," but that's irrel) And the laptop is your personal one, a classical laptop just put on the seat of your car right? Yes (it was in a bag, and the bag was on my seat) Seat belts relevant? No
Were you talking previously with the woman? No, but... At the phone maybe? No
Bluetooth relevant? Screen saver? Games? None of these, with a tiny "but..." to Screensaver
Is the woman just repeating words that were written in a device (e.g. google voice)? No Battery relevant? No
Did the relevant modification allow you to hear from the laptop? There is no relevant modification Headphones relevant? No

Internet connection relevant? No Did you touch the laptop when you stopped the car? Yes (well, the bag it was in) Remote controll relevant? No Did the automatic lights activate relevantly? No Did you activate the something accidentally? Yes Voluntarily? No Did the something activate automatically? Apparently, triggered by my action, Yes Did it usually activate when your car is stopped? No When a car in general is stopped? No

Did you take the laptop in order to bring it with you? Yes In doing so, did you relevantly press a button? No Google translation relevant? No Google voice? No Was the laptop falling maybe as a consequence of the slow down to stop the car? No[/b Had the laptop a relevant modification before stopping the car and you wanted to check if everything was fine? [b]No

Had you turned off the ignition before, would the puzzle still work? Yes

Is undoing your seatbelt relevant? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:17 pm

No buttons and no touch screens or touch sensitive things right?...so...previously set things relevant? Alarms relevant? Was there just the laptop in the bag? Maybe there was the mouse also? Portable keyboard? Can we assume completely closed bag and comoletely closed laptop? Is hand movement relevant? As if you were saying hello maybe?

Touch of the bag = sort of caress? Jarvis of Iron man on the desktop relevant? Trackpad relevant? Had you got some opened program? Application? Was the PC completely closed or maybe it was nearly closed and with the touch it closed completely? Did you touch the bag in correspondence of the top of the laptop? The side? The bottom? Relevant? Keyboard relevant? Possibility of putting the screen away from the keyboard (as in first windows 8 I guess)?

Is the laptop new? Old? Have you used it recently (in the last minutes)? When you were in the car? Did you move it closer to something else relevantly? Is the only fact that the laptop passed from a stationary state on the seat to a dynamic one when you touched it sufficient for the voice to be produced? Had you touch it when the car was moving would the voice still speak? If so saying "bye [your name]"? Saying something else? Saying nothing? If the latter because: you would have been unable to make the laptop move in such a way that the voice is produced? You would not have been able to reach and touch the laptop? Had anyone else touched the laptop, would it have spoken? Are fingerprints relevant? Locking PC? Stand by mode? Locking screen?

Is "bye" meant to be a normal greeting form (is it correct?) to say "see you when you will use the PC again"? As "end of the interaction"? Were you listening to something on the laptop (e.g. a DVD, a recorded CD...)? Relevant that you were in a car? That you were distant from something else (e.g. you were disconnected from a server)? Is a lag effect relevant (e.g. something like a conversation accidentally paused for lost connections that started again once you touched the bag?) ? An action you previously made that maybe took too much time, you stopped by locking the screen? Are other tools like electronic gears connected to PC relevant? Can we assume a classical bag? That your hands were empty and you just took the bag and lifted it with your PC in inside?
Last edited by Earnest on Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Earnest

Postby trebor » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:38 pm

Was the voice activated by motion? Such as you picking up the bag?

Is the voice related to a relevant program on your computer? Relevant the brand of laptop?
trebor

Postby Balin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:28 pm

No buttons and no touch screens or touch sensitive things right? None which are relevant
...so...previously set things relevant? No Alarms relevant? No Was there just the laptop in the bag? It's the only relevant item Maybe there was the mouse also? Portable keyboard? No/Irrel to both Can we assume completely closed bag and comoletely closed laptop? Yes Is hand movement relevant? Yope -s see below As if you were saying hello maybe? No

Touch of the bag = sort of caress? No Jarvis of Iron man on the desktop relevant? No Trackpad relevant? No
Had you got some opened program? Application? Yes
Was the PC completely closed or maybe it was nearly closed and with the touch it closed completely? Fully closed
Did you touch the bag in correspondence of the top of the laptop? The side? The bottom? Relevant? Irrel, see below Keyboard relevant? No Possibility of putting the screen away from the keyboard (as in first windows 8 I guess)? Not quite sure what you mean

Is the laptop new? Old? A couple years old, not really relevant
Have you used it recently (in the last minutes)? I'm answering this question on it, so Yes (regarding the puzzle, I'd last used the laptop about 25-30 minutes earlier, just before starting my drive When you were in the car? No Did you move it closer to something else relevantly? No
Is the only fact that the laptop passed from a stationary state on the seat to a dynamic one when you touched it sufficient for the voice to be produced? Yes - I don't know what exactly caused it, but Yes Had you touch it when the car was moving would the voice still speak? It probably would have If so saying "bye [your name]"? Yes Saying something else? Yes, but including the goodbye Saying nothing? No If the latter because: you would have been unable to make the laptop move in such a way that the voice is produced? No but see below You would not have been able to reach and touch the laptop? No, it was on the passenger seat Had anyone else touched the laptop, would it have spoken? Probably Are fingerprints relevant? No Locking PC? No Stand by mode? I'm not sure of this particular mode, but the laptop was in sleep mode, I hadn't turned it off Locking screen? No

Is "bye" meant to be a normal greeting form (is it correct?) to say "see you when you will use the PC again"? No As "end of the interaction"? Yes Were you listening to something on the laptop Yes (e.g. a DVD, a recorded CD...)? Not these, and not like this Relevant that you were in a car? Not really That you were distant from something else (e.g. you were disconnected from a server)? Somewhat Is a lag effect relevant (e.g. something like a conversation accidentally paused for lost connections that started again once you touched the bag?) YES, exactly! An action you previously made that maybe took too much time, you stopped by locking the screen? No Are other tools like electronic gears connected to PC relevant? No Can we assume a classical bag? Yes That your hands were empty and you just took the bag and lifted it with your PC in inside? Yes

Was the voice activated by motion? Yes Such as you picking up the bag? Yes!

Is the voice related to a relevant program on your computer? Not so much a program as an application, or something else Relevant the brand of laptop? No
Balin

Postby trebor » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:11 pm

Was the voice that of someone you actually know? Was it a lag at the end of a Skype call or something similar?
trebor

Postby Balin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:20 pm

Was the voice that of someone you actually know? Not personally Was it a lag at the end of a Skype call or something similar? Not a Skype call (or any other video/audio call), but I'll say Yes to "something similar"
Balin

Postby gregoryuconn » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:42 am

Was it meant as a good bye forever? An I'm going to kill you? Horror stories relevant? Ghost stories?
gregoryuconn

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:08 pm

Was it meant as a good bye forever? An I'm going to kill you? Horror stories relevant? Ghost stories? No to all
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:52 am

So she said bye as "end of interaction" but you actually did not close the application before closing the PC right? Hence her "bye" was referred to the connection lost I guess, right? If so, she knew that the connection has been lost and therefore it must be either that you told her (did you?) or that she knew already (did she? If so is she "part" of the application that you were using?) or that she lost connection as well (did she?), right?
To understand this, I hope that the following will be sufficient: had you lost connection for a minute and then had it again without stopping the application and then lost it again, would the woman have said "welcome" (or something similar) and goodbye twice?

Is the lag due to lost connection primarly? If so, internet connection? Or general connection as in phone calls? Did the motion cause primarly the connection to be activated again? The computer to wake up?

Is a recording relevant? A youtube video? A chat? A conversation? Are videos relevant at all? Are voices/audios? Doenloads? iTunes? Siri? Office? May I invoke the list of PC applications?

Had you got connection, could you have had a conversation with the woman (or listened to her) having the laptop fully closed? Are the conversations you had with the woman mainly based on her voice come up after you click/select operations on your PC?

Is the woman real? An avatar? Are switchboards relevant? An assistant? Could it have been a man instead?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:46 am

So she said bye as "end of interaction" but you actually did not close the application before closing the PC right? Yes Hence her "bye" was referred to the connection lost I guess, right? No If so, she knew that the connection has been lost and therefore it must be either that you told her (did you?) I told her something or that she knew already (did she? but No, not about the connection being lost If so is she "part" of the application that you were using?) No, she's a real person or that she lost connection as well (did she?), right? She did not lose connection
To understand this, I hope that the following will be sufficient: had you lost connection for a minute and then had it again without stopping the application and then lost it again, would the woman have said "welcome" (or something similar) and goodbye twice? No, probably not

Is the lag due to lost connection primarly? Yes If so, internet connection? Yes Or general connection as in phone calls?
Did the motion cause primarly the connection to be activated again? The computer to wake up? This, good q

Is a recording relevant? No A youtube video? No A chat? Yes A conversation? Not specifically Are videos relevant at all? Yes Are voices/audios? Only hers
Doenloads? iTunes? Siri? Office? None of these May I invoke the list of PC applications? Google Chrome, but any Internet browser would have likely worked as well

Had you got connection, could you have had a conversation with the woman (or listened to her) having the laptop fully closed? No, because my laptop went back to sleep right after the "bye!" Are the conversations you had with the woman mainly based on her voice come up after you click/select operations on your PC? Well, after I did something online, Yes

Is the woman real? Yes An avatar? Are switchboards relevant? An assistant? No to these Could it have been a man instead? Yes
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:44 pm

Have you said bye in the firat place? Did it put the PC to sleep/activatede the offline mode?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:37 pm

Have you said bye in the firat place? Yes, but one word in your question may mislead Did it put the PC to sleep/activatede the offline mode? My saying "bye" did not cause the PC to go to sleep
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:32 pm

Relevant what caused the lost of connection? The PC going to sleep? If so, did you put it to sleep voluntarily?So a video chat right? Is cam relevant? Front cam vs back cam? Have you simply waved her? Closed the window with her chat? Deactivated the connection? Lowered the screen? Deactivated the webcam? Deactivated the microphone? Did she? Did you think she had deactivated her microphone but instead the connection was lost? Image stopped in a frame relevant?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:08 pm

Relevant what caused the lost of connection? Yes The PC going to sleep? Yes If so, did you put it to sleep voluntarily? And Yes
So a video chat right? No Is cam relevant? Front cam vs back cam? Neither Have you simply waved her? Closed the window with her chat? Deactivated the connection? Lowered the screen? This Deactivated the webcam? Deactivated the microphone? Did she? Did you think she had deactivated her microphone but instead the connection was lost? Image stopped in a frame relevant? No to rest
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:48 am

So you were entertaining a chat with the lady and videos are relevant right? Are videos part of the chat? Argument of the chat (kind of "the video stopped so you were not able to see it fully"?)? Sending videos relevant? Can the chat be defined just an "oral chat"? Were you watching videos? If so relevant which videos? Relevant a lag effect on the videos? Were you watching them as everyone could see a video (from the beginning to the end just for the content of the video and not for instance to spot mistakes or to judge the quality)? Incomplete videos? Videos on the internet? Videos that you need to repair/adjust? Was your objective to put the computer to sleep and continue to watch a video afterward?

Is the audio related to a video somehow? E.g. she was the voice of one of the videos? A dubber?
Earnest

Postby gregoryuconn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:03 am

Is she your mother? Your girlfriend? Your sister? Your friend? Your enemy? Another relative? A musical theatre buddy? Is any of this at all relevant?
gregoryuconn

Postby Balin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:41 pm

So you were entertaining a chat with the lady and videos are relevant right? Yes Are videos part of the chat? Yes Argument of the chat (kind of "the video stopped so you were not able to see it fully"?)? No Sending videos relevant? No Can the chat be defined just an "oral chat"? No Were you watching videos? I was; she wasn't If so relevant which videos? Yes Relevant a lag effect on the videos? No Were you watching them as everyone could see a video (from the beginning to the end just for the content of the video and not for instance to spot mistakes or to judge the quality)? Yes, possible FA Incomplete videos? Videos on the internet? Videos that you need to repair/adjust? No to these Was your objective to put the computer to sleep and continue to watch a video afterward? Yes, but not really relevant

Is the audio related to a video somehow? Yes E.g. she was the voice of one of the videos? Yes/FA A dubber? No

Is she your mother? Your girlfriend? Your sister? Your friend? Your enemy? Another relative? A musical theatre buddy? No to all Is any of this at all relevant? Something about who the woman is is relevant
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:43 am

Were you watching a single video? Was the video live? Is she a collegue of yours? Was she helping you figuring out the solution to a problem? A problem related to the PC? Relevant that she did not see you but you saw her,? Did she ask you to put the PC to sleep? Did she interrupt the chat to do something else? Did you need to wait? Lag of voice with respect to scene of the video relevant? Is the type of lag relevant? Kind of she make hello with her hand and said "bye" but you just saw her making hello and suppose the chat was over? Was she unable to activate the video? Had she wanted to could she have seen you? If so, through a cam on the PC? In that case would you have had a video chat? If it was not possible, was she talking to you from another PC? Relevant? Is she a normal human beeing? Was she talking just with you?

Is she related to you through: work? Private life? PC? Problems with PC? Is she an avatar (xD)? Did you talk actively with her regularly? If so always about different topics? Did she usually call you? Vice versa? Does the chat happen always in the same way?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:43 am

Were you watching a single video? Yes Was the video live? Yes! Is she a collegue of yours? No Was she helping you figuring out the solution to a problem? No A problem related to the PC? No Relevant that she did not see you but you saw her,? Yes Did she ask you to put the PC to sleep? No Did she interrupt the chat to do something else? No, but the chat was incidental to what she was doing Did you need to wait? No Lag of voice with respect to scene of the video relevant? No Is the type of lag relevant? No lag is relevant Kind of she make hello with her hand and said "bye" but you just saw her making hello and suppose the chat was over? No Was she unable to activate the video? No Had she wanted to could she have seen you? No If so, through a cam on the PC? In that case would you have had a video chat? If it was not possible, was she talking to you from another PC? Yes Relevant? Yes Is she a normal human beeing? Yes Was she talking just with you? NO, good q

Is she related to you through: work? Private life? PC? Problems with PC? None of these - she is not related to me Is she an avatar (xD)? No
Did you talk actively with her regularly? No, so No/FA to rest If so always about different topics? Did she usually call you? Vice versa? Does the chat happen always in the same way?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:52 am

Was she in a group chat? Live stream? Was she saying goodbye to all viewers?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:33 am

Was she in a group chat? Live stream? Yes! Was she saying goodbye to all viewers? No

Almost there...
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:23 am

Was she saying goodbye to you? To a group ov viewers? Did you say, write or show her that you were leaving? Did someone else?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:23 pm

Was she saying goodbye to you? Yes To a group ov viewers? No Did you say, write or show her that you were leaving? Yes, and "write" is pretty much the answer I needed to call this one. Did someone else?

****SPOILER****

I was watching a live stream in a coffee shop and had to head home, so I typed a quick goodbye in the chat and closed my laptop, putting it to sleep without shutting it off. After driving home, I picked up my bag, which jostled the laptop enough to take it out of sleep mode, and it automatically played the stream from the point I'd closed the laptop - the streamer saying goodbye to me, having seen my message in the chat.

Nice solve - I appreciate the tenacity.
Balin

Re: [Balin] Ghost stories? (*PUT TO SLEEP*)

Postby Earnest » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:07 am

Nice one!
Earnest

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles