[Nimue]The Bedroom Doughnut

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Nimue]The Bedroom Doughnut

Postby nimue » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:54 pm

When I was a teenager, I would sometimes buy a doughnut, have it put in a bag, close the bag tightly, & take it to my room, where I would eat the doughnut and then dispose of the empty bag someplace outside my home. No secrecy was involved. If my parents asked me what was in the bag, I would tell them, and, even if they didn't ask, I might mention that I had a doughnut on the bag. But I wouldn't eat it anywhere in the house except my room. How come??
nimue

Re: The Bedroom Doughnut

Postby Doriana » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:12 pm

Crumbs relevant? Cleaning relevant?

Would this work with other food items? If so, all food items? Only items with a certain texture? a certain flavour?

Specific ingredients relevant? Allergies relevant?

Relevant whose money you used to buy the doughnut?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Relevant that someone could otherwise see it? Hear it? Smell it? If so, someone H? A? M?
GalFisk

Postby nimue » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:00 pm

Crumbs relevant? YES Cleaning relevant? NO

Would this work with other food items? YES If so, all food items? NO Only items with a certain texture? NO a certain flavour?NO

Specific ingredients relevant? YES Allergies relevant? NO

Relevant whose money you used to buy the doughnut?
Doriana

Unread postby GalFisk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Relevant that someone could otherwise see it? NOHear it? NO Smell it? NOIf so, someone H? A? M?
nimue

Postby Earnest » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:44 am

Had you start eating it in the kitchen would your parent have told you to go and eat it in your room instead? Do you freely choose to eat it in your room? Are you obliged to? If so by your parents? by circumstances? Can we assume you eat all the doughnut? If so, all in one time? Do you relevantly drink coffee with it? Do you eat it in the middle of the morning? Afternoon? Evening?
Night (if so, making noise in nightime relevant?)? Immediately when came back home? Relevant? Did the bag contain just the donut? Had your parents asked you unexpectedly to see inside the bag as soon as you come back home, would you let them see without problems?

then dispose of the empty bag someplace outside my home --> can we assume you throw it away? Separate collection relevant? Is the bag made of plastic? Paper? Relevant? Relevant the location of your room? On the ground floor? On the first floor? Near the place where you disposed of the empty bag?

Let's say you eat your doughnut and the crumbs go just inside the bag you would later on thrown away from home. Would the puzzle still work in these circumstances? I mean, would you eat the doughnut in your room?

Crumbs relevant: crumbs falling in the floor? Crumbs remaining inside your teeth? Had you relevantly got a brace for the teeth? Sugar relevant? Health care? Do you want to collect the crumbs for some reason (e.g. feed a pet/an hamster)?

Do you eat the doughnut after having done something forbidden for a teen? Smoking? Drinking?
Earnest

Postby LemonCurry » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:25 pm

Is anyone in the family on a diet?
LemonCurry

Postby nimue » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:55 pm

Had you start eating it in the kitchen would your parent have told you to go and eat it in your room instead? YES Do you freely choose to eat it in your room? SEE NEXT ANSWERAre you obliged to? YES If so by your parents? YES by circumstances? YOPE Can we assume you eat all the doughnut? YESIf so, all in one time? IRREL Do you relevantly drink coffee with it? NO Do you eat it in the middle of the morning? Afternoon? Evening?TIME OF DAY IS IRREL
Night (if so, making noise in nightime relevant?)? NOImmediately when came back home? NO Relevant? NO Did the bag contain just the donut? IRREL Had your parents asked you unexpectedly to see inside the bag as soon as you come back home, would you let them see without problems?YES

then dispose of the empty bag someplace outside my home --> can we assume you throw it away? YES Separate collection relevant? POSSIBLY Is the bag made of plastic? IRREL Paper? IRREL Relevant? NO Relevant the location of your room? NO On the ground floor? On the first floor? Near the place where you disposed of the empty bag?

Let's say you eat your doughnut and the crumbs go just inside the bag you would later on thrown away from home. Would the puzzle still work in these circumstances? I mean, would you eat the doughnut in your room?

Crumbs relevant: crumbs falling in the floor? YES Crumbs remaining inside your teeth? NO Had you relevantly got a brace for the teeth? NO Sugar relevant? NOHealth care? NO Do you want to collect the crumbs for some reason (e.g. feed a pet/an hamster)? NO

Do you eat the doughnut after having done something forbidden for a teen? NO Smoking?NO Drinking?NO
Earnest

Unread postby LemonCurry » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:25 pm

Is anyone in the family on a diet?YESISH OR YES
nimue

Postby gregoryuconn » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:21 pm

Are your parents your actual biological parents? Or were they host parents when you were studying abroad?

Religious reasons relevant? Was the doughnut not kosher/halal/whatever was required by your parents' religion?

Would this have happened for any doughut you purchased? If not, is the brand of doughnut relevant? The flavor? Would you have still taken it to your room if you bought a bagel and cream cheese? A bagel with nothing on it? A croissant? A muffin? A sandwich? A soda? Ice cream? Chicken wings?
gregoryuconn

Postby Earnest » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:01 am

So crumbs on your bedroom's floor are not a problem , while crumbs in other places of the house are, right? If so, because someone is not allowed to enter your room? The someone on diet? Vacuum cleaner relevant? Did you eat it seat on your desk? Inside your bed? Anywhere in the room? Relevant? Are crumbs on your desk relevant? Animals involved? Shoes relevant? Clothing in general? Are crumbs on the floor a problem in that they could have been eaten? They could have been seen? Is the floor of your room similar to the floor in other rooms?

Did someone else a part from your parents livein your house? A brother/sister? Grandma/grandpa? Did he/she know that you eat doughnuts? Would he/she like to? Is the someone on diet one of your parents? Your mum? Your dad? Relevant? Is touching the floor relevant? Was there a baby who, by crowling or playing on the floor and then putting his/her hands in his/her mouth, could have eaten the crumbs?

Sugar relevant? Icing? (E.g. you had heated floors in other rooms so that the icing would have melt?)

Had you bought 2 doughnuts would the routine be the same? Are sweats present in your house? Diabetes relevant?
Earnest

Re: [Nimue]The Bedroom Doughnut

Postby nimue » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:34 pm

So crumbs on your bedroom's floor are not a problem , while crumbs in other places of the house are, right? YES If so, because someone is not allowed to enter your room? NO The someone on diet? N/A Vacuum cleaner relevant? NO Did you eat it seat on your desk? IRREL Inside your bed? IRREL Anywhere in the room?YES Relevant? ONLY THAT I ATE IT IN MY ROOM Are crumbs on your desk relevant? NO Animals involved? JUST HUMAN ONES Shoes relevant? NO Clothing in general?NO Are crumbs on the floor a problem in that they could have been eaten? NO They could have been seen?NO Is the floor of your room similar to the floor in other rooms? IRREL

Did someone else a part from your parents livein your house? IREEL A brother/sister? IRREL Grandma/grandpa? IRREL Did he/she know that you eat doughnuts? IRREL Would he/she like to? IRREL Is the someone on diet one of your parents? BOTH Your mum? Your dad? Relevant? YES Is touching the floor relevant? NO Was there a baby who, by crowling or playing on the floor and then putting his/her hands in his/her mouth, could have eaten the crumbs?NO

Sugar relevant?NO Icing? NO (E.g. you had heated floors in other rooms so that the icing would have melt?)

Had you bought 2 doughnuts would the routine be the same? Are sweats present in your house? Diabetes relevant?
nimue

Postby Earnest » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:08 pm

Did they fear that someone would have seen the crumbs and thought they are not aligned with the diet? Were the crumbs relevantly visible on the floor? Would it have been a problem also after they (the crumbs) have been cleaned by you right after they have fallen on the floor without nobody seeing them? Is wind relevant? Smell? Temptations? Would they be tempted to eat doughnuts? Would they temptation to go and buy them?

Had crumbs been on a table outside your room, would it have been fine? I mean is the restruction valid to avoid crumbs also on other places than floor outside your rooms right?

Is the diet a particular diet? Just avoid sugars? Avoid doughnuts relevant? Avoid fat foods? Is it also a psychologic regime?
Earnest

Postby gregoryuconn » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:31 am

You skipped my questions.
gregoryuconn

Postby nimue » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:27 pm

Are your parents your actual biological parents? YES BUT IRREL Or were they host parents when you were studying abroad? NO BUT IRREL

Religious reasons relevant? YESWas the doughnut not kosher/halal/whatever was required by your parents' religion? NOT KOSHER (FOR PASSOVER)

Would this have happened for any doughut you purchased?YES If not, is the brand of doughnut relevant? The flavor? Would you have still taken it to your room if you bought a bagel and cream cheese? YES A bagel with nothing on it? YES A croissant? YES A muffin? YES A sandwich? YES A soda?PROBABLY NOT Ice cream? NO Chicken wings? PROBABLY NOT
nimue

Postby nimue » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:28 pm

Did they fear that someone would have seen the crumbs and thought they are not aligned with the diet? NO Were the crumbs relevantly visible on the floor? NO Would it have been a problem also after they (the crumbs) have been cleaned by you right after they have fallen on the floor without nobody seeing them?YES Is wind relevant? NO Smell?NO Temptations? NO Would they be tempted to eat doughnuts?NO Would they temptation to go and buy them? NO

Had crumbs been on a table outside your room, would it have been fine? I mean is the restruction valid to avoid crumbs also on other places than floor outside your rooms right?

Is the diet a particular diet? Just avoid sugars? Avoid doughnuts relevant? Avoid fat foods? Is it also a psychologic regime?
nimue

Postby gregoryuconn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:19 am

Was it actually Passover at the time? Or just almost Passover? And the rest of the home had already been kashered for the holiday but your room hadn't? So you had to eat it in your room, which you could do because it wasn't Passover yet?
gregoryuconn

Postby nimue » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:26 pm

Had crumbs been on a table outside your room, would it have been fine? NO mean is the restruction valid to avoid crumbs also on other places than floor outside your rooms right? YES

Is the diet a particular diet? YESJust avoid sugars? NO Avoid doughnuts relevant? YESAvoid fat foods?NO Is it also a psychologic regime?PLEASE CLARIFY THE QUESTION
nimue

Unread postby gregoryuconn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:19 am

Was it actually Passover at the time? YES Or just almost Passover? NO And the rest of the home had already been kashered for the holiday YES but your room hadn't? YES So you had to eat it in your roomYES , which you could do because it wasn't Passover yet? NO, IT WAS PASSOVER.
nimue

Postby gregoryuconn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:12 am

Are you Jewish? Are you not as observant as the rest of the family so you ate food that was not Kosher for Passover? And they didn't care as long as you kept it in your room? Or are you not Jewish but your parents are? And then the rest of it plays out basically the same as above?
gregoryuconn

Postby nimue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Are you Jewish? NO Are you not as observant as the rest of the family so you ate food that was not Kosher for Passover? YES And they didn't care as long as you kept it in your room? YES Or are you not Jewish but your parents are? YES And then the rest of it plays out basically the same as above?YES

*************** SPOILER ********************
I stopped being Jewish when I was 12. I mean I opted out of "Jewish identity," Sunday school, & temple attendance; I had never believed in God. My parents, Reform Jews & orthodox liberals, went along with this. So, during Passover, they agreed that my room was the home of a non-Jew & I could eat whatever I wanted there. I realize that the standard sentimental epilogue would be that several decades later I returned to my Jewish roots. The true sentimental epilogue is that I have remained happily uprooted & grateful to my patents for letting my act on my choice so early.
nimue

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles