[Balin] One day, the boss came up to me

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] One day, the boss came up to me

Postby Balin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:57 pm

Joe regularly leaves without pressing any buttons. He expects Kelly to press several buttons before she leaves. Instead, she presses one button, then leaves. From then on, Joe presses several buttons before leaving.
What's going on?
Balin

Re: [Balin] One day, the boss came up to me

Postby GalFisk » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Did she press one button in order to make him press several thereafter? Is Joe leaving work? Home? Is Kelly leaving work? Home? Do Joe and Kelly live together? Do any of them relevantly change living arrangements or relationships during the puzzle? Is an alarm relevant? A key code? Making a call? Did Joe make a mistake in pressing no buttons? In expecting Kelly to press several buttons? Did Kelly make a mistake in pressing one button? Commit a crime? Break a rule? Is the one button on the same device as the many? Are the many buttons Joe pushes in the end, the same set of buttons he expected Kelly to push? The same combination? Is pushing them in a certain order/combination relevant?
WAG: does Joe expect Kelly to activate the burglar alarm before leaving work, but she activates the fire alarm instead in order to create a diversion from criminal activity (such as theft)? So then Kelly is in jail or on the run, and Tom is now very careful about always setting the alarm?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:56 pm

Did she press one button in order to make him press several thereafter? No
Is Joe leaving work? No/Yope Home? No
Is Kelly leaving work? No Home? No
Do Joe and Kelly live together? No Do any of them relevantly change living arrangements or relationships during the puzzle?No
Is an alarm relevant? No A key code? Yes (slight -ish) Making a call? Yope/Yesish
Did Joe make a mistake in pressing no buttons? Yope In expecting Kelly to press several buttons? Yope Did Kelly make a mistake in pressing one button? No Commit a crime? No Break a rule? Noish
Is the one button on the same device as the many? Yes Are the many buttons Joe pushes in the end, the same set of buttons he expected Kelly to push? Yes The same combination? Yes Is pushing them in a certain order/combination relevant? Yes
WAG: does Joe expect Kelly to activate the burglar alarm before leaving work, but she activates the fire alarm instead in order to create a diversion from criminal activity (such as theft)? So then Kelly is in jail or on the run, and Joe is now very careful about always setting the alarm? No to this, but a clever guess
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:17 am

Is Joe leaving a building? Vehicle? Fenced-in area? Is Kelly leaving the same place Joe is? Does Joe leave first and Kelly later? When Joe pressed several buttons, does Kelly still leave as before? If so, does she press any buttons? If Joe HAM? Kelly HAF? After pressing the button sequence, are they supposed to do something? Such as speak? Watch a screen or indicator? Wait for a response?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:15 pm

Is Joe leaving a building? Vehicle? Fenced-in area? None of these Is Kelly leaving the same place Joe is? Yes Does Joe leave first and Kelly later? Yes, but they are not in the location together When Joe pressed several buttons, does Kelly still leave as before? No; she only leaves once If so, does she press any buttons? If she were to leave again, she would press several buttons Is Joe HAM? Yes Kelly HAF? YesAfter pressing the button sequence, are they supposed to do something? Yes Such as speak? Watch a screen or indicator? Wait for a response? Not these
Balin

Postby Balin » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:14 pm

HINT: The buttons are at Joe's workplace.
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:52 am

Do the buttons control an object? A system? Communication? A timer? Do they turn something on? Off? Lock something? Unlock something? Does Kelly work in this place? Visit this place? Joe's profession relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:45 pm

Do the buttons control an object? This A system? Communication? A timer?
Do they turn something on? Off? Lock something? Unlock something? This
Does Kelly work in this place? No Visit this place? Yes
Joe's profession relevant? Yes
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:16 pm

Does it unlock a door? Gate? Vehicle? Barrier? Cage? Locker? Emergency equipment?
Is it unlocked by pressing several buttons? By pressing one button? Is it locked by pressing one button? Does Kelly pressing one button cause problems? Is Kellys profession relevant? Is the lock part of a security system or protocol?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Lift, keyboard, door entry, safe?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:44 am

Do the buttons need to be pressed before starting work? Does joe work for kelly? Are them collegues? Is safety relevant? Is Joe a guardian? Of kelly's house? Is joe present when Kelly presses the unique button? Is he aware that she presses just one button because: something is already unlocked when it is supposed to be locked? Is locked when it was supposed to be unlocked?
Was Kelly aware of the code? Of the fact that she has to to put it? Can we classify hers as a negligence? As forgetfulness? Does Kelly leave after joe? Enter before joe? Have the buttons numbers on them? If so can we assume from 1 to 9? Are the buttons part of a keyboard? Relevant where the keyboard was placed? Badges relevant? Is the code unique? Is the button pressed by Kelly a button that allowed her to enter and leave freely? Could anyone press the unique botton as Kelly does? Are gyms relevant? Credit cards? Touch screens? Is Joe in charge of pressing several buttons? Is Kelly? Leaving = leaving the workplace and not coming back until the day after?

WAG:s is the unique button pressed by Kelly a bell?
Is Kelly customer of a gym and presses the emergency stop of a conveyor belt rather than pressing the combination of buttons that slow her down and let the next person to start running without the need of restarting the conveyor belt ?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:55 pm

Does it unlock a door? This Gate? Vehicle? Barrier? Cage? Locker? Emergency equipment?
Is it unlocked by pressing several buttons? This By pressing one button? Is it locked by pressing one button? No; assume it locks when closed Does Kelly pressing one button cause problems? No Is Kellys profession relevant? No Is the lock part of a security system or protocol? No

Lift, keyboard, door entry, safe? None of these

Do the buttons need to be pressed before starting work? No Does joe work for kelly? b]No[/b] Are them collegues? No Is safety relevant? No Is Joe a guardian? No Of kelly's house? No Is joe present when Kelly presses the unique button? Yes Is he aware that she presses just one button because: something is already unlocked when it is supposed to be locked? No, but an idea here is OTRT Is locked when it was supposed to be unlocked? No
Was Kelly aware of the code? No Of the fact that she has to to put it? No Can we classify hers as a negligence? No As forgetfulness? No Does Kelly leave after joe? Yes (though Joe is not in the room with Kelly) Enter before joe? ]b]See previous[/b]
Have the buttons numbers on them? Most but not all of them If so can we assume from 1 to 9? 0 to 9 Are the buttons part of a keyboard? No Relevant where the keyboard was placed? No Badges relevant? No Is the code unique? Yes Is the button pressed by Kelly a button that allowed her to enter and leave freely? Leave yes, enter no Could anyone press the unique botton as Kelly does? Yes
Are gyms relevant? Credit cards? Touch screens? None of these Is Joe in charge of pressing several buttons? No Is Kelly? No Leaving = leaving the workplace and not coming back until the day after? No

WAG:s is the unique button pressed by Kelly a bell? No
Is Kelly customer of a gym and presses the emergency stop of a conveyor belt rather than pressing the combination of buttons that slow her down and let the next person to start running without the need of restarting the conveyor belt? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:21 am

Does Joe understand that she presses the unique button because something (e.g. a light? A noise?) suggests it to him? Does the code activate once the door is closed? Unlocking the door = giving the possibility to open the door and move to the other side? Is the door a big door? A door for moving from a room to the other? Relevant why it had a code? Banks relevant? Museums? Precious objects? Is the door, the one of a plane? Is joe the captain? Are rules on the plane relevant? When Joe leaves, does he leave for a long time? Is the code put for the door to be unlocked and stay unlocked?

If joe presses more buttons he unlock the same door from which kelly is supposed to leave after him right? And Kelly keep on pressing the unique button also after Joe began to press the buttons for the code right? Summarizing Joe unlocks the door with the code and leaves and Kelly leaves after him; the point is : in this way does she need to press any button? If not, because the door is already unlocked?
By pressing the unique button the code previously put by Joe is still "valid"?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Does Joe understand that she presses the unique button because something (e.g. a light? A noise?) suggests it to him? He sees her do it Does the code activate once the door is closed? Yes Unlocking the door = giving the possibility to open the door and move to the other side? Yes Is the door a big door? Exact size is irrel A door for moving from a room to the other? Yes Relevant why it had a code? Yes
Banks relevant? Museums? Precious objects? No to these
Is the door, the one of a plane? Is joe the captain? Are rules on the plane relevant? No to these (no plane is relevant)
When Joe leaves, does he leave for a long time? DOYD of "long time" Is the code put for the door to be unlocked and stay unlocked? Unlocked until the door is opened, Yes

If joe presses more buttons he unlock the same door from which kelly is supposed to leave after him right? There's an FA here And Kelly keep on pressing the unique button also after Joe began to press the buttons for the code right? FA
Summarizing Joe unlocks the door with the code and leaves and Kelly leaves after him; No. Joe unlocks the door and leaves before Kelly is in the room. They are never in the room together
the point is: in this way does she need to press any button? Yes, because Joe makes sure the door is locked when he leaves If not, because the door is already unlocked?
By pressing the unique button the code previously put by Joe is still "valid"? Yes
Balin

Postby Earnest » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:51 am

Does she press a button with a key from 0 to 9? If so can i invoke the list? Relevant? Did she press a key with something relevant written on it? A colored one?
Are hotel rooms relevant? Labs? Hospitals? Harry potter dorms?

Was the door locked once Kelly pressed the unique button (if someone wanted to enter back in the room, would he/she need to put the code after that Kelly pushed the unique button to exit?)?

Did Joe see her pressing the unique button from a camera (if they are never in the same room he just could have seen either the door opening or the girl through a camera right? )
Did Joe, after being aware of that, press more buttons than before? (E.g. locking password + a button). Is it the only door with a code?
Is the code on the door important because: the room contained something precious? The room contained something dangerous? For privacy reasons? The electronical kept the counting of the times the code was put by someone (e.g. fingerprints) and in that way found out how many times someone has gone outside and inside? Is it possible to enter again once the code is put? I mean...let's say we have 2 sides of the door: side A in room a and side B in room b. If the door is closed and Joe is in room a he cannot see room b. He exits room a and puts the code ending up in room b. Then he wants to come back to room a. Does he put a code while kelly just pressed a button?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Does she press a button with a key from 0 to 9? No! If so can i invoke the list? Relevant? Yes Did she press a key with something relevant written on it? Yes A colored one? No/Irrel
Are hotel rooms relevant? Labs? Hospitals? Harry potter dorms? No to all

Was the door locked once Kelly pressed the unique button Her pressing that button unlocked the door (if someone wanted to enter back in the room, would he/she need to put the code after that Kelly pushed the unique button to exit?)? I don't understand the question

Did Joe see her pressing the unique button from a camera (if they are never in the same room he just could have seen either the door opening or the girl through a camera right? ) Yes
Did Joe, after being aware of that, press more buttons than before? (E.g. locking password + a button). See puzzle statement, but I must clarify something below
Is it the only door with a code? Yes
Is the code on the door important because: the room contained something precious? The room contained something dangerous? For privacy reasons? The electronical kept the counting of the times the code was put by someone (e.g. fingerprints) and in that way found out how many times someone has gone outside and inside? No to all
Is it possible to enter again once the code is put? Yes I mean...let's say we have 2 sides of the door: side A in room a and side B in room b. If the door is closed and Joe is in room a he cannot see room b. He exits room a and puts the code ending up in room b. Then he wants to come back to room a. Does he put a code while kelly just pressed a button? No, FA, and I'd recommend just thinking of them as "inside the room" and "outside the room."

I realized some of my answers were unclear earlier, so I'm going to RECAP:

Inside the room is a door requiring a code to unlock from the inside. Joe has always regularly left by another door without pressing any buttons on the unlocking mechanism. After Kelly presses the one button and leaves by the "code" door, Joe presses several buttons before leaving by the other door.
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:13 pm

Do the actions of Kelly show that something is wrong with the keys? The code? The door? The lock? That the door was not locked? Improperly locked?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:05 pm

Do the actions of Kelly show that something is wrong with the keys? The code? The door? The lock? That the door was not locked? No to all these Improperly locked? Yope
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:28 am

Ok so door A (with code) and door B (no code). Joe always left through door B while Kelly through door A pressing one button. Joe realized that she left pressing one button thanks to a camera and from that moment he started pressing several buttons (=he put the code?) from door B and left from door A right?

Is there a reason why joe left by a door without code while kelly from a door with code? Do they alternate each other? Are hospitals relevant? Is the room sterile? Are turns relevant? Are libraries relevant? A store?
Is there a difference between leaving without putting the code for unlocking and pressing just one button? (Both lead to the door been opened and Kelly to exit right?) If so is the difference when the door is closed again (e.g. the code automatically put itself if the door is unlocked through the code while it does not if it is unlocked through the unique button?) Is the unique button usually pressed in emergency situations? Is the button usually pressed in other circumstances? Fingerprints relevant? (E.g. she opened through her fingerprints so that once the door is closed back again the only way to reopen it is through the fingerprints of kelly?) Is the problem of pressing a unique button: security after the door is closed (the door is not properly closed)? Ways to reopen the door? The fact that unlocking the door through a code enables also the other doors to be opened?

Does the room contain something relevant? Something that needs maintainance/certain temperatures? (So that putting the code the system realizes that someone is leaving and the temperature for instance is set to the proper level)? Relevant what the code is (the number composing the code)? Relevant what was the button pressed by kelly? Does the button opened just a door? All the doors (e.g. button of a prison cell which is pressed in emergency situations and when pressed opens all the cells)?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Ok so door A (with code) and door B (no code). Joe always left through door B while Kelly through door A pressing one button. Joe realized that she left pressing one button thanks to a camera and from that moment he started pressing several buttons Yes (=he put the code?) No! from door B and left from door A right? Yes

Is there a reason why joe left by a door without code while kelly from a door with code? Yes
Do they alternate each other? No
Are hospitals relevant? Is the room sterile? Are turns relevant? Are libraries relevant? A store? No to all
Is there a difference between leaving without putting the code for unlocking and pressing just one button? (Both lead to the door been opened and Kelly to exit right?) Yope If so is the difference when the door is closed again Yope (e.g. the code automatically put itself if the door is unlocked through the code while it does not if it is unlocked through the unique button?) No Is the unique button usually pressed in emergency situations? No Is the button usually pressed in other circumstances? No Fingerprints relevant? No (E.g. she opened through her fingerprints so that once the door is closed back again the only way to reopen it is through the fingerprints of kelly?) No
Is the problem of pressing a unique button: security after the door is closed No (the door is not properly closed)? No Ways to reopen the door? No The fact that unlocking the door through a code enables also the other doors to be opened? No

Does the room contain something relevant? Yes Something that needs maintainance/certain temperatures? No (So that putting the code the system realizes that someone is leaving and the temperature for instance is set to the proper level)? Temperature is irrel Relevant what the code is (the number composing the code)? No Relevant what was the button pressed by kelly? Yes Does the button opened just a door? Yes All the doors No (e.g. button of a prison cell which is pressed in emergency situations and when pressed opens all the cells)? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:04 am

Did Joe reinsert a new code/password? Reset a code? Identification relevant? (Facial id/eyres id...) is the code an alarm?

Did Joe leave from a door without code because he indeed press several buttons before leaving? Could more than one people stay in the same relevant room? Could Joe have stopped Kelly and told her to press several buttons instead of pressing himself? If not because kelly was supposed not to know the right code? Other reasons? Was the door used by Joe hidden? Did Kelly know that joe could see her from a camera? Did he know that Joe was present?

Is there something valuable in the room? Some engine? Something top secret? Someone important? Are noises relevant?
Is Kelly the boss of Joe? A friend? A visitor? A collegue? His wife? A policeman? A co-worker? The owner? A thief? Is army relevant? Is the problem just with Kelly or with anyone that would have pressed the single button? Had the single button being pressed more n times, would Joe been forced to press more buttons n+1 times?

Did Kelly press one button on purpose? Did she want to see if Joe pressed several buttons? If cameras worked properly? Relevant the presence of cameras?
Had the unique button written "open" on it? "Danger"? "Push"? "Press"? "Unlock"? Did it have an image? An arrow? A key? Relevant?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:09 pm

Did Joe reinsert a new code/password? Yope Reset a code? No/Yope Identification relevant? No (Facial id/eyres id...) No is the code an alarm? No

Did Joe leave from a door without code because he indeed press several buttons before leaving? No Could more than one people stay in the same relevant room? Yes Could Joe have stopped Kelly and told her to press several buttons instead of pressing himself? He doesn't press them at the same time Kelly does If not because kelly was supposed not to know the right code? Yope, I think Other reasons? Was the door used by Joe hidden? No Did Kelly know that joe could see her from a camera? Yes Did she know that Joe was present? Yes

Is there something valuable in the room? No Some engine? No Something top secret? No Someone important? No Are noises relevant? No
Is Kelly the boss of Joe? A friend? A visitor? This A collegue? His wife? A policeman? A co-worker? The owner? A thief?
Is army relevant? No Is the problem just with Kelly or with anyone that would have pressed the single button? With anyone pressing the single button; Kelly was just the first to do so Had the single button being pressed more n times, would Joe been forced to press more buttons n+1 times? No

Did Kelly press one button on purpose? Yes Did she want to see if Joe pressed several buttons? No If cameras worked properly? No Relevant the presence of cameras? It may help give you the setting
Had the unique button written "open" on it? "Danger"? "Push"? "Press"? "Unlock"? None of these Did it have an image? An arrow? A key? No to these Relevant? Yes
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:16 am

Did the single button work in an unexpected way? An unintended way? Did it bypass a security feature? Did Kelly intend to bypass the several button combination? Did she press a button that cut power to something? Did Joe know about the presence of the single button before Kelly pressed it? Did he know of its function? Did it have an unintended function?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:47 pm

Did the single button work in an unexpected way? Yes An unintended way? Yes Did it bypass a security feature? For svv of "security feature" Did Kelly intend to bypass the several button combination? Yes! Did she press a button that cut power to something? No Did Joe know about the presence of the single button before Kelly pressed it? Yes Did he know of its function? Yes but not that it would unlock the door Did it have an unintended function? Yes
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:35 pm

Do any visitor put the same code to unlock the door? Does the unexpected effect concern: the door? The thing in the room? Cameras? Noises? Did she push the button and kept it pushed until the door was opened? She just pressed softly for a second and the door was unlocked? Relevant? Can we assume that she just pushed the button in the same setting conditions of the electronic device used to put the code as other visitors? I mean she just saw the door, pushed the button and exit? Are security exits relevant? Was the door part of the attractions? Was it modern? Relevant?

Did she need something else to press the unique button and being allowed to open the door? (E.g. a badge, a ticket...) same q with the several buttons for other visitors, please. DId she press other buttons somewhere else before pressing the unique button? Was the unique button on a Pc? On the same key of the button pressed for the code?
Had it got a writing on it? "ENTER"? Is it simple to deduce from what was on the button that it could have unlock the door? Was its primary aim to unlock the door? To allow something that was beneficial for the something in the room? Is the something in the room considered a museum piece? Something related to: public means of transport? Books? Money? Health care? Technology? Cinema? Animals? Universities? Hotels? Food? Restaurant? Amousement parks? Do people (visitors like kelly) usually go there just to visit the place? To eat? To work? To exploit wi fi connection? To search something? To be cured? To entertain themselves? Bypass doors (e.g. sort of escape rooms)?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:15 am

Do any visitor put the same code to unlock the door? Yes
Does the unexpected effect concern: the door? Yes The thing in the room? Which thing? Cameras? Noises? No to these
Did she push the button and kept it pushed until the door was opened? No She just pressed softly for a second and the door was unlocked? Yes Relevant? Yes
Can we assume that she just pushed the button in the same setting conditions of the electronic device used to put the code as other visitors? Yes I mean she just saw the door, pushed the button and exit? Yes
Are security exits relevant? No
Was the door part of the attractions? Yes Was it modern? Yes Relevant? Yes

Did she need something else to press the unique button and being allowed to open the door? No (E.g. a badge, a ticket...) Not these same q with the several buttons for other visitors, please. Yes - they needed to know which buttons DId she press other buttons somewhere else before pressing the unique button? No Was the unique button on a Pc? No On the same key of the button pressed for the code? The "unique button" is the button Kelly pushed
Had it got a writing on it? Yes "ENTER"? No Is it simple to deduce from what was on the button that it could have unlock the door? Kelly deduced it, but no one else did Was its primary aim to unlock the door? I'll give this a No To allow something that was beneficial for the something in the room? No
Is the something in the room considered a museum piece? Something related to: public means of transport? Books? Money? Health care? Technology? Cinema? Animals? Universities? Hotels? Food? Restaurant? Amousement parks? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the something in the room"
Do people (visitors like kelly) usually go there just to visit the place? To eat? To work? To exploit wi fi connection? To search something? To be cured? To entertain themselves? This Bypass doors Yes... (e.g. sort of escape rooms)? ...Yes, exactly!
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:14 am

Is Joe in charge of preparing the room for visitors? Does he have to leave the room by using the code in order to disable the shortcut Kelly found?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:32 am

Relevant what the exact code is (if so may I invoke the list of the possible combinations?) ? A combination of 4 numbers right? Is the shortcut found by kelly equivalent to the combination of numbers? Or another different way to unlock the door? A way to rewrite the combination of numbers? To avoid putting it? Can we assume the shape of the "code" device to be a square with 9 numbers? A square with 9 numbers + the relevant button? Relevant? Is the relevant button in the middle of the device? Below a certain number/certain numbers? Has it got the same shape of the other buttons? Relevant? Is it bigger? Rectangular? Squared? Does the button simply disable the code? Update it to a new one? Put the last combination of numbers inserted? Spot the fingerprints on the other buttons? Enlights the buttons so that Kelly was able to see the right combination? Enlights just certain buttons?Does the right combo follow a certain path (e.g. the password of certain cell phones which are geometric figured to be put on a keyboard of 9 numbers)? Is the writing on thr button "MENU"? "BACK"?

Is the button pressed by Kelly the button that should be pressed after the code had been inserted? A button that Joe was aware would have unlocked the door? Has the button ever been pressed? If so by visitors? By workers?
Is the door electronically connected with the device of the code?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:09 am

Relevant what the exact code is (if so may I invoke the list of the possible combinations?)? Exact code is irrel, but... A combination of 4 numbers right? ...No, and the length of the code is relevant Is the shortcut found by kelly equivalent to the combination of numbers? Yes Or another different way to unlock the door? No A way to rewrite the combination of numbers? No To avoid putting it? Yes (with a slight -ish)
Can we assume the shape of the "code" device to be a square with 9 numbers? Only nine? No A square with 9 numbers + the relevant button? No, because there are a couple other buttons as well Relevant? Yes
Is the relevant button in the middle of the device? No, either on the bottom row or right column of buttons, depending on the specific device Below a certain number/certain numbers? See previous Has it got the same shape of the other buttons? Yes Relevant? Yes Is it bigger? No Rectangular? Yes, specifically... Squared? ...Yes
Does the button simply disable the code? Update it to a new one? Put the last combination of numbers inserted? This, good question! Spot the fingerprints on the other buttons? Enlights the buttons so that Kelly was able to see the right combination? Enlights just certain buttons?
Does the right combo follow a certain path (e.g. the password of certain cell phones which are geometric figured to be put on a keyboard of 9 numbers)? Irrel
Is the writing on thr button "MENU"? "BACK"? Neither

Is the button pressed by Kelly the button that should be pressed after the code had been inserted? No A button that Joe was aware would have unlocked the door? No Has the button ever been pressed? No If so by visitors? By workers?
Is the door electronically connected with the device of the code? Yes
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:54 am

Did you miss my questions? Is Kelly an escape room visitor? Escape room tester/QA person?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:14 pm

Is the code composed of less than 4 digits? More than 6? More than 10? Are the other buttons squared as the one pressed by Kelly? Are the other buttons that were not digits relevant? Are they related to the one pressed by kelly? Can we assume that each button represent just one thing (e.g. in keyboards if a key is pressed for a long time it can give the capital version of the letter and so on...is this the case?)? Are the other buttons simbols? Are any of these relevant: %? #? $?%?€?£?¥?!?@?+?×?÷?=?/? Space? Enter? Cancel? Reset? Comma? .? A digit written in letters? Roman numbers? Square numbers?

Did Kelly know the number of digits that composed the code? Did Kelly know that the last combination of numbers was the right one? Is the device a phone? An electronical device commonly found near the doors? A walkie-talkie? Is the device electronical in nature? Is it nor.al to find a keyboard on it? Music instruments relevant? Sounds relevant? (E.g. sounds of the buttons)
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Did you miss my questions? I did - my bad. I've got them now.

Is Joe in charge of preparing the room for visitors? Yes Does he have to leave the room by using the code No in order to disable the shortcut Kelly found? Yes

Is Kelly an escape room visitor? Yes Escape room tester/QA person? So not these

Is the code composed of less than 4 digits? More than 6? More than 10? Either 7 or 10 Are the other buttons squared as the one pressed by Kelly? Yes Are the other buttons that were not digits relevant? Only to identify the device... but you've got it Are they related to the one pressed by kelly? See previous Can we assume that each button represent just one thing (e.g. in keyboards if a key is pressed for a long time it can give the capital version of the letter and so on...is this the case?)? Yes, just one thing Are the other buttons simbols? Some Are any of these relevant: %? #? $?%?€?£?¥?!?@?+?×?÷?=?/? Pound and star Space? Enter? Cancel? Reset? Comma? .? None of these A digit written in letters? Roman numbers? Square numbers? No to these

Did Kelly know the number of digits that composed the code? No Did Kelly know that the last combination of numbers was the right one? No
Is the device a phone? Yes, which should answer the rest of these questions An electronical device commonly found near the doors? A walkie-talkie? Is the device electronical in nature? Is it normal to find a keyboard on it?
Music instruments relevant? No Sounds relevant? No (E.g. sounds of the buttons) No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:14 pm

Ok so can we assume that the code was a phone number? Was the phone an iPhone and she put the combination that made a call with the previous number? Is a combination used before the call relevant? Did she press * and #? One of the two? Several times? Did she made an emergency call? Is the phone book relevant? Did she have access to it?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:46 am

Ok so can we assume that the code was a phone number? Yes Was the phone an iPhone No and she put the combination No that made a call Yope/Noish with the previous number? Yes Is a combination used before the call relevant? No Did she press * and #? No One of the two? No Several times? No Did she made an emergency call? No Is the phone book relevant? No Did she have access to it? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:01 am

Clarification: pound and star are * and # right?

Was there something on the phone's screen before Kelly put the code? A * and/or #? Is it relevant the initial screen image/app that Kelly saw before touching the device? Was it turned on? Was it possible just to insert the code/press any button on the device's keyboard? Can we assume so? Or was it maybe opened on an app (whatsapp, facebook, social media, others...)? Relevant?

Are * and # relevant in that Kelly pressed them? If so, before or after pressing the relevant button? Is * or # one of the relevant buttons? Did someone else previously inserted the right phone number relevantly? The one right before Kelly? Does the door open just if the phone number is inserted (or an equivalent combination)? If a phone call with the right number is made? If a text message is send to the right number? Relevant? is internet relevant? Did the button pressed by Kelly allowed her: to see the previous number? To automatically make a call with the previous number? To make an emergency call? To ask for help? To go to settings? To highlight a word/sentence/combination? To do a quick search?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Clarification: pound and star are * and # right? Other way around, but Yes (# = pound, * = star)

Was there something on the phone's screen before Kelly put the code? FA - the phone did not have a screen A * and/or #? Is it relevant the initial screen image/app that Kelly saw before touching the device? FA Was it turned on? Was it possible just to insert the code/press any button on the device's keyboard? Not a "keyboard," but assume Yes Can we assume so? Yes Or was it maybe opened on an app (whatsapp, facebook, social media, others...)? No Relevant? Yes

Are * and # relevant in that Kelly pressed them? No, and she didn't press them. They're only mentioned to identify the device as a phone If so, before or after pressing the relevant button? Is * or # one of the relevant buttons? No
Did someone else previously inserted the right phone number relevantly? Yes The one right before Kelly? The visitor before her, Yes Does the door open just if the phone number is inserted (or an equivalent combination)? Yes If a phone call with the right number is made? See previous If a text message is send to the right number? No Relevant? Yes is internet relevant? No
Did the button pressed by Kelly allowed her: to see the previous number? No To automatically make a call with the previous number? Yes To make an emergency call? No To ask for help? No To go to settings? No/FA To highlight a word/sentence/combination? No/FA To do a quick search? No/
FA
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Does he now leave after dialing a wrong number, so the dial last number function no longer unlocks the door?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:19 am

Does he now leave after dialing a wrong number, so the dial last number function no longer unlocks the door? Yes.

The last piece of info needed: exactly what button did Kelly press?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 am

The one right before Kelly? The visitor before her, Yes --> does she know it?

Was the number stored in the phone's memory relevantly (so that pressing one number it automatically inserted the rest of the numbers)? Is the digit 1 relevant?
Can we assume a keyboard like the one in the attached image? Did she press simply the green call button?
Attachments
Screenshot_20190416-084735_Phone.jpg
Screenshot_20190416-084735_Phone.jpg (107.29 KiB) Viewed 915 times
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:08 pm

The one right before Kelly? The visitor before her, Yes --> does she know it? The previous visitor knows the combination, but as you know this is an escape room, this is no longer important

Was the number stored in the phone's memory relevantly Yes (so that pressing one number No! it automatically inserted the rest of the numbers)? Not "inserted" but "called" Is the digit 1 relevant? No
Can we assume a keyboard like the one in the attached image? No - it's not a smartphone Did she press simply the green call button? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:13 am

So the button is neither a number nor # , * nor the green/red buttons, and the button oressed is on the same keyboard as numbers and other buttons, right? I am tempted to invoke the list but I won't xD

Can we assume a keyboard like the one in the attached image? No - it's not a smartphone --> ok but I have seen that many old phones have a keyboard like that one. I meant the buttons on it.
To be sure --> are we talking about cellular phones? Regular old cellular phones (e.g. nokia)? If not...landline phones relevant? Is the button the one under the telephone handset?

Emergency call relevant? Central button (menu button)?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:23 pm

So the button is neither a number nor # , * nor the green/red buttons, and the button oressed is on the same keyboard as numbers and other buttons, right? Yes, correct I am tempted to invoke the list but I won't xD

Can we assume a keyboard like the one in the attached image? No - it's not a smartphone --> ok but I have seen that many old phones have a keyboard like that one. I meant the buttons on it. OK. Yes, the arrangement of the buttons is correct
To be sure --> are we talking about cellular phones? No Regular old cellular phones (e.g. nokia)? No If not...landline phones relevant? Yes Is the button the one under the telephone handset? No

Emergency call relevant? Central button (menu button)? Neither
Balin

Postby Balin » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:21 pm

Again, the last piece of info needed - the solution to the puzzle - is the word on the button that Kelly pressed.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:14 am

Is the phone cordless? INT? Mute? Redial pause? Is it relevant that just the keyboard was present? Is it relevant that it was a landline phone? If so because landline phones are supposed to have an additional support? To be connected to a modem?
I know that possible actions are:

– On the base dialing
– Phone directory to store up to 50 entries
– Voice mail
– Quiet mode
– Record your own answering announcement
– Speed Dial
– Caller ID
– Speakerphone
– Redial list
– Call Waiting
– Listening Volume
– Mute Call
– Turn the answering system on or off
– Adjust the speaker volume
– Back lit keypad display
– Handset Message retrieval
– Intercom between base unit and handset
– Table and wall mountable
– Find handset button

Any of the above relevant? Handset relevant?
Last-call return, automatic recall relevant? Is the keyboard of a relevant nationality?
speakerphone? Flash? Pause? Redial?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri May 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Redial? Yes!

****SPOILER****

Joe works in an escape room. The final puzzle in the room is to dial a certain number into a telephone, which unlocks the exit door. Joe never bothered with the phone when resetting the room... until Kelly shortcutted the entire room by pressing "redial," which automatically dialed the "exit" number and unlocked the door to escape. Now Joe always dials a non-working number when resetting the room, ensuring that trick won't work again.
Balin

Re: [Balin] One day, the boss came up to me (*ESCAPED*)

Postby Earnest » Sat May 04, 2019 7:18 am

Very nice!
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles