[gregoryuconn] Not a Big Expense

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[gregoryuconn] Not a Big Expense

Postby gregoryuconn » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:20 am

I was concerned about the expense, even though I knew there was a good chance I wouldnt have to pay anything. Had I known there would be an expense, I wouldn’t have been so worried.
Last edited by gregoryuconn on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregoryuconn

Re: [gregoryuconn] Not a Big Expense

Postby GalFisk » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:28 pm

So you were concerned that you might have to pay, correct? But if you knew you did have to pay, it would be a smaller cause of concern?
Was there a concern that you'd be unable to pay?
If you knew you did have to pay, would the cost be the same as the cost you might have had to pay?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 pm

Were you concerned about the expense for yourself, or for someone else? Expense = cost of an item, cost of a service, cost of an event, other? Is reimbursement relevant? Balancing the books? Petty cash? A loan? Is this something like having a meal with friends and not wanting them to pay for you?
invisiblemimsy

Postby gregoryuconn » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:21 am

So you were concerned that you might have to pay, correct? Yesish But if you knew you did have to pay, it would be a smaller cause of concern? Yes
Was there a concern that you'd be unable to pay? I'd have found some way to pay, but it might have been difficult.
If you knew you did have to pay, would the cost be the same as the cost you might have had to pay? No!

Were you concerned about the expense for yourself, or for someone else? Myself. Expense = cost of an item, cost of a service, cost of an event, other? Item and service Is reimbursement relevant? No. Balancing the books? Petty cash? A loan? Is this something like having a meal with friends and not wanting them to pay for you? No to the rest of these.
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:13 am

Is the might-pay more expensive than the must-pay? Is the might-pay a fine? Does the might-pay come with associated problems? Such as having to go to court? Being denied entry to somewhere? Having something confiscated?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:23 am

Was a gamble involved? Actual gambling, or just taking a chance? Were the item and service separate issues? Was it the combined cost that concerned you? Was pre-paying relevant? Did the method or means of paying concern you?
Was it car repair, other repair?

Was scenario something like this: you suspected there was something wrong with the car, e.g. the clutch, which might be expensive to fix but at least would solve the problem... but OTOH the problem might not be fixable, in which case you'd have a much bigger problem?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:38 am

Airports relevant (e.g. you bought a weighting item and now you risked a fine for the wright of the baggage; if you had known about the expense you would not have bought the item so no conern would have been involved)?
Had you known about the expense did you have to substain it for sure? I mean would it have been something you were supposed to pay for sure?
Earnest

Postby gregoryuconn » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:42 am

Is the might-pay more expensive than the must-pay? Potentially Is the might-pay a fine? No, with a slight ish Does the might-pay come with associated problems? Potentially Such as having to go to court? No, again with the slight ish. Being denied entry to somewhere? No. Having something confiscated? No.

Was a gamble involved? No. Actual gambling, or just taking a chance? No. Were the item and service separate issues? No. Was it the combined cost that concerned you? N/A Was pre-paying relevant? Did the method or means of paying concern you? No.
Was it car repair, This. other repair? No.

Was scenario something like this: you suspected there was something wrong with the car, I knew there was something wrong with it. e.g. the clutch, But not the clutch. which might be expensive to fix but at least would solve the problem... but OTOH the problem might not be fixable, in which case you'd have a much bigger problem Not quite, but somewhat OTRT.
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:21 am

Warranty relevant? Insurance? An accident? Who's at fault in an accident? DIY repairs or modifications relevant? Vehicle inspections? Vehicle codes and regulations?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:43 am

Warranty relevant? Yes. Insurance? No. An accident? No. Who's at fault in an accident? So no. DIY repairs or modifications relevant? No. Vehicle inspections? No with a slight ish. Vehicle codes and regulations? Same.
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 am

Do you probably not have to pay because the part is probably covered by warranty?
If you do have to pay, do you need to buy an expensive original part to keep your warranty?
While if the car was out of warranty, you could just as well get a knock-off or used part?
Relevant what part it is? How important it is?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:29 am

Do you probably not have to pay because the part is probably covered by warranty? Possibly, not probably, but yes.
If you do have to pay, do you need to buy an expensive original part to keep your warranty? No, but sort of OTRT.
While if the car was out of warranty, you could just as well get a knock-off or used part? FA and no.
Relevant what part it is? Yes. How important it is? Not specifically.
gregoryuconn

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:03 am

Does the price go up the more time passes? Is the actual period of the warranty relevant? The terms, the items covered? Second-hand parts? Guarantee on repair or part/s? Did the work need to be done in order for the car to pass its MOT?
Is it a hire car? Your own? Something which was yours/someone else’s fault?
Is it a classic car? Does the part have to be an original? Is the part something which is visible? So it might detract from the car?
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:45 am

Is it a part of the: controls? Interior? Exterior? Lighting? Drivetrain? Engine? Fuel system? Ignition system? Cooling system? Heating system? AC? Exhaust system? Air intake? Starter? Oil system? Braking system? Steering system? Undercarriage? Doors? Entertainment system?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Sun May 19, 2019 10:20 pm

Does the price go up the more time passes? No Is the actual period of the warranty relevant? The specific length is not relevant, but whether certain things would still be under it is. The terms, the items covered? See previous answer Second-hand parts? No Guarantee on repair or part/s? YES! Did the work need to be done in order for the car to pass its MOT? Is this like an annual inspection? Then yes.
Is it a hire car? Your own? This Something which was yours/someone else’s fault? No
Is it a classic car? no Does the part have to be an original? Clarify Is the part something which is visible? Yes So it might detract from the car? No

s it a part of the: controls? Interior? Exterior? Lighting? This. No to rest. Drivetrain? Engine? Fuel system? Ignition system? Cooling system? Heating system? AC? Exhaust system? Air intake? Starter? Oil system? Braking system? Steering system? Undercarriage? Doors? Entertainment system?
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Mon May 20, 2019 5:20 am

Is it a non-replaceable LED light? Which is supposed to last "forever" and replaced under warranty if it fails? But which is expensive to replace if not under warranty? While an incandescent light is not covered by warranty because it breaks all the time, but is cheap and easy to replace?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Tue May 21, 2019 12:44 am

Is it a non-replaceable LED light? No. Which is supposed to last "forever" and replaced under warranty if it fails? But which is expensive to replace if not under warranty? While an incandescent light is not covered by warranty because it breaks all the time, but is cheap and easy to replace? No to all, but it was one of the cheap lights. Be careful FA though.
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Tue May 21, 2019 8:17 am

Lighting: headlight? Blinker? Fog light? Brake light? Rear light? Interior light? Are you repairing/replacing a bulb? Reflector? Glass? Driver? Is the light incandescent? LED? Xenon/HID? Is it an easy repair? Difficult repair?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Tue May 21, 2019 11:16 pm

Lighting: headlight? Blinker? Fog light? Brake light? This Rear light? Interior light? Are you repairing/replacing a bulb? Getting it repaired/replaced. I wasn't doing the repairs myself. Reflector? Glass? Driver? Is the light incandescent? LED? Xenon/HID? Is it an easy repair? Yesish Difficult repair? Noish
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Wed May 22, 2019 7:48 am

Is the exact nature of the failure known? Is there a risk that there is more than one failure? That there's a more expensive failure than the symptoms indicate? Such as an issue with the braking system? With the electrical system? A short? A broken wire? A loose connection? A fault in a difficult to reach place? A fault that requires a lot of work to fix? That requires expensive parts to fix?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Fri May 31, 2019 9:04 pm

Is the exact nature of the failure known? No! Is there a risk that there is more than one failure? Unlikely That there's a more expensive failure than the symptoms indicate? Yes Such as an issue with the braking system? Not this With the electrical system? This A short? A broken wire? A loose connection? A fault in a difficult to reach place? A fault that requires a lot of work to fix? That requires expensive parts to fix? Could be any of the electrical things, point is, it would be electrical, and expensive.

You're almost there.... But why did I suspect it might be an electrical issue? And why wouldn't I have if I knew I would have to pay?
gregoryuconn

Postby biograd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 am

Are all electrical issues covered under warranty, so you wouldn't have to pay for the repair if that were the case?
biograd

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:12 am

Warranties relevant? Insurance? If you would have to pay, would it be a deductible? Physical damage relevant?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:39 am

Are all electrical issues covered under warranty, so you wouldn't have to pay for the repair if that were the case? NO! THey were definitely NOT covered.

Warranties relevant? Yes! Insurance? No. If you would have to pay, would it be a deductible? Physical damage relevant? No to both.
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:39 am

If you knew you'd have to pay, would the issue have been cheap to fix? Clear and well defined? Your own fault?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:13 pm

If you knew you'd have to pay, would the issue have been cheap to fix? Yes. Clear and well defined? Yes. Your own fault? No.
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:40 am

Am I right in assuming there are three potential issues?
1. A fault covered by warranty or otherwise repaired for free?
2. Electrical fault, expensive to fix and paid by you?
3. A cheap fault, paid by you?

Is 3 a busted lightbulb? Is 1 not a failure at all? Or something that is trivial to fix?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:04 pm

Am I right in assuming there are three potential issues?
1. A fault covered by warranty or otherwise repaired for free?
2. Electrical fault, expensive to fix and paid by you?
3. A cheap fault, paid by you?

Is 3 a busted lightbulb? Is 1 not a failure at all? Or something that is trivial to fix? Bingo. This is pretty much close enough.

****SPOILER****

I was driving home from work a couple months ago, when a message popped up saying my brake light was out. However, it didn't say which brake light, and as I live alone, I had no way of verifying which brake light it was without enlisting a stranger's help, which I wasn't going to do. I had had one of the brake lights replaced just a couple months ago, and it was still covered under warranty. However, the other brake light was pretty old and not covered. There were three possibilities, as GalFisk pointed out:

1) It was the same brake light as before that broke, they sold me a faulty brake light, and it would be covered under warranty.
2) The brake lights weren't breaking at all, rather there was an electrical fault on that side of the car, which would be very expensive to fix, and not covered under warranty.
3) It was the other brake light, which I would have to pay to fix, but not much.

Turns out it was #3, which I would have known if I knew which brake light was out. But since I didn't know, it could have been any of them and I was worried about the possibility of #2.
gregoryuconn

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles