[Hobbsicle] Ruffington Post

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Hobbsicle] Ruffington Post

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:14 pm

I was sitting on my couch reading the news the other day, when I saw something that made me suddenly angry at my dog. I had not looked up from what I was reading, and my dog was not in the room with me, so what caused my reaction?
Last edited by Hobbsicle on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbsicle

Re: [Hobbsicle] Ruffington Post

Postby WiZ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:23 pm

Hi, Hobbsicle!

Is the subject of the article relevant? Did the article concern dogs? Pet ownership? Animals? Household expenditure?

Was the something you saw a printed article/photo/advertisement in the paper? Had some foreign object got stuck in the paper? Did your doge eat or mess on part of the paper?

Were you angry at your doge for something it had done? Something you suspected it was currently doing, or would do? Had you come to a relevant realisation? Did you learn something in the course of the article that put your doge's past/current behaviour (or maintenance costs, or your relationship) in a new light?
WiZ

Postby Brian1976 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:19 pm

hey all, wiz pretty much asked everything I was going to except for one alternative possibility: were you reading news via an electronic device?
Brian1976

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:35 pm

WiZ

Hi, Hobbsicle! Hello, good to be back after a little break

Is the subject of the article relevant? No Did the article concern dogs? Pet ownership? Animals? Household expenditure? Irrel

Was the something you saw a printed article/photo/advertisement in the paper? No Had some foreign object got stuck in the paper? No Did your doge eat or mess on part of the paper? No, underlying FA, to be cleared up shortly

Were you angry at your doge for something it had done? Yes Something you suspected it was currently doing, This as well or would do? No Had you come to a relevant realisation? Yes Did you learn something in the course of the article that put your doge's past/current behaviour (or maintenance costs, or your relationship) in a new light? No

Brian1976

hey all, wiz pretty much asked everything I was going to except for one alternative possibility: were you reading news via an electronic device? Yes
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Did you see something on the device? Did your dog chew on something? Did you lose internet connection because the dog chewed at the cable? Lose mobile connection because you didn't pay your bill because the dog ate it? Did you see an email essage? Text message? Other message sent to you?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Did you see something on the device? Yes Did your dog chew on something? No Did you lose internet connection because the dog chewed at the cable? Lose mobile connection because you didn't pay your bill because the dog ate it? No to these Did you see an email essage? Text message? Other message sent to you? No
Hobbsicle

Postby peter365 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:59 pm

A real life living dog? Is the breed relevant? The dog's name?

Did a notification pop up on your phone or laptop?
peter365

Postby trebor » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Did you see an ad for something? Was the anger residual anger over something your dog had done previously that you were reminded of?

Is another person relevant to this puzzle? Is another pet?
trebor

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:31 am

Had the dog filled in the crossword? I’d be rather cross if my dog did that.
invisiblemimsy

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:24 am

peter365

A real life living dog? Yes Is the breed relevant? No The dog's name? No

Did a notification pop up on your phone or laptop? No

trebor

Did you see an ad for something? No Was the anger residual anger over something your dog had done previously that you were reminded of? No

Is another person relevant to this puzzle? No Is another pet? No

invisiblemimsy

Had the dog filled in the crossword? I’d be rather cross if my dog did that. Even worse, he only completed it by misspelling some of the words like a total amateur.
Hobbsicle

Postby peter365 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:57 pm

Is there a light shining on your screen creating a mirror effect?
peter365

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:56 am

Is there a light shining on your screen creating a mirror effect? No
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Thu May 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Was the thing you saw displayed on the device screen? Did your dog do something it was not supposed to? Were you angry because of something the dog did? Were you watching the dog using the device? If you were angry because of something it did, did it do this thing right at the moment you got angry? Seconds before? Minutes before? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri May 31, 2019 6:33 pm

Was the thing you saw displayed on the device screen? Yes Did your dog do something it was not supposed to? Yes Were you angry because of something the dog did? Yes Were you watching the dog using the device? No If you were angry because of something it did, did it do this thing right at the moment you got angry? Seconds before? This, a couple of seconds Minutes before? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?
Hobbsicle

Postby Earnest » Fri May 31, 2019 7:35 pm

Did the dog make something to your device? Something you would have been not aware of had you not read what you were reading? Something to the newspaper?, did tour dog bring you the newspaper? Relevant teeth of the dog? Bites? traces? Is mud relevant? Saliva? Did your dog take something he was not supposed to take? Ate something he was not supposed to eat? Smell relevant? Noises? Made by the dog? Words written relevant?

Device = phone? PC? Other?

Had your device some relevant protection? Was something missing on your device? Was your dog relevantly in contact with the device? Did you know?
Earnest

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Did the dog make something to your device? Maybe rephrase, but if I understand the question, he did affect something that I saw on the screen Something you would have been not aware of had you not read what you were reading? The content of what I was reading is irrelevant Something to the newspaper?, did tour dog bring you the newspaper? No actual newspapers involved Relevant teeth of the dog? Bites? traces? Is mud relevant? Saliva? Did your dog take something he was not supposed to take? Ate something he was not supposed to eat? Smell relevant? Noises? Made by the dog? Words written relevant? No to rest

Device = phone? PC? This, it was a laptop Other?

Had your device some relevant protection? No Was something missing on your device? Hmm...noish, but explore Was your dog relevantly in contact with the device? Again, no-ish, but also worth exploring Did you know? I knew what was happening at a certain point, yes, but not before
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:49 am

Did your dog affect the image displayed on the screen? Affect the screen surface? The functionality of the screen? Was the dog seen on the screen through a camera?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:09 am

Did your dog affect the image displayed on the screen? Yes Affect the screen surface? The functionality of the screen? Was the dog seen on the screen through a camera? No to rest
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:28 pm

Did your dog affect a camera? Was your dog seen on camera? Did the dog damage something? Topple something? Poop or pee on something?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 pm

Did your dog affect a camera? Was your dog seen on camera? Did the dog damage something? Topple something? This is closest, no to rest Poop or pee on something?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:35 am

Close to topple: pull on something? Push something? Break something? Run into something? Go to a place it's not allowed? Climb on something? Jump somewhere? Tear down something? Make something fall? Break something?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Close to topple: pull on something? Push something? Break something? Run into something? Go to a place it's not allowed? This Climb on something? This Jump somewhere? This would be involved as well Tear down something? Make something fall? Not quite, but close Break something?
Hobbsicle

Postby trebor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:42 am

Was your dog in the house? If so, relevant what room? Were they outside? Did they knock something over? Crash through something? Is the thing that sort of toppled related to your computer? Did your dog do something that caused a domino effect wherein the last thing to fall or whatever is related to your computer? Is your dog an actual dominos expert? Because if they're named Spot, I could see the temptation...
trebor

Postby biograd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:15 am

Did the dog trip over your laptop cord, or knock something into the cord, unplugging it from the wall and causing the laptop screen to go black?
biograd

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:05 pm

trebor

Was your dog in the house? Yese If so, relevant what room? Perhaps not specifically, though it could help Were they outside? No Did they knock something over? Yes-ish, move it at least Crash through something? No Is the thing that sort of toppled related to your computer? Yes Did your dog do something that caused a domino effect wherein the last thing to fall or whatever is related to your computer? Not really, though it was somewhat indirect Is your dog an actual dominos expert? Eating dominos, yes Because if they're named Spot, I could see the temptation... His name is Jack, so he's really more into poker

biograd

Did the dog trip over your laptop cord, or knock something into the cord, unplugging it from the wall and causing the laptop screen to go black? No
Hobbsicle

Postby trebor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:16 pm

Did Jack knock your router? Mouse? Keyboard? A gaming/DVD/music system?
trebor

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:17 pm

Did Jack knock your router? Mouse? THIS Keyboard? A gaming/DVD/music system?

**************SPOILER**************

I was in my living room browsing the news on my laptop when I noticed my mouse cursor moving back and forth on its own. After that brief moment of wondering if I'd been hacked, I realized that my wireless mouse was still sitting on my bed, where I'd left it. I then realized that my dog must have jumped onto my bed, where he's not allowed, and thus moved the mouse.

I bent the truth only slightly for this story. In fact, we do sometimes let the dog onto the bed, so I wasn't really mad. Also, it turns out that it wasn't the dog at all, but my wife, who was changing the sheets.
Hobbsicle

Re: [Hobbsicle] Ruffington Post (ROLLED OVER)

Postby trebor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:45 pm

Ha ha ha! Clever. I'm just glad you didn't have a pet mouse who was moving the mouse around. That could've become a confusing line of questioning.
trebor

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles