[raevenclaw] Color Me Surprised

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[raevenclaw] Color Me Surprised

Postby raevenclaw » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:16 am

You find yourself in a room. Proceed.

i started running this once before, but left the forum because of school, so if it feels familiar that's probably why. basically, this is a new type of latventure i’m trying out. fortunately, we did not actually reach a point where the 'new type' bit came into play. as such, it’s probably going to be fairly short, and more of a proof-of-concept. also, it being short will reduce the chance that i get overwhelmed and abandon it again. am i stealing the title from my past self? absolutely, it was a good title, i'm not letting it go to waste.
raevenclaw

Re: [raevenclaw] Color Me Surprised

Postby Earnest » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:18 am

Hi ravenclaw! Welcome back.

So, please can you turn the light on if some? Is there a door? Is it opened? Can we explore the room? What's inside?

Can we exit the room? Are we free in our movements? Do we wear something relevant? Please, check inside your pockets. Do you find something relevant? Are there relevant windows? Holes in the floor? Is there someone else in the room? Is the room part of an house? Can you hear someone? Neighbours?
Earnest

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:42 pm

These types of puzzles are very entertaining, I have designed and hosted several of them.
CoffeeBean

Postby raevenclaw » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:27 am

Hi ravenclaw! Welcome back. thanks!

So, please can you turn the light on if some? Is there a door? Is it opened? Can we explore the room? What's inside? No need to turn a light on, the room is already well-lit. The room is fairly small, and while there are no doors, there do seem to be two door-sized silver frames on the wall opposite you. However, they're just framing more wall.

Can we exit the room? No obvious way presents itself. Are we free in our movements? Within the room, yes. Do we wear something relevant? Please, check inside your pockets. Do you find something relevant? You are wearing simple clothing, consisting of a loose shirt and pants, both a light blue. No pockets, but you are holding a Basket O' Holding (note: originally coined by kaylee, a basket with infinite space inside it, meant to make toting various puzzle-solving items around easier). Inside, you see a device that looks like an iPad Are there relevant windows? Holes in the floor? You don't see any.. Is there someone else in the room? You do not currently see anyone else in the room. Is the room part of an house? Can you hear someone? Neighbours? If it is part of a house, it's an extremely strange one. You can't hear any neighbors or anything like that.

These types of puzzles are very entertaining, I have designed and hosted several of them. latventures are by far my favorite type of puzzle. i've always loved interactive fiction, and the fact that latventures have an actual human running them means they can get so much more creative! i love it! if you run another, i'll be sure to participate
raevenclaw

Postby Earnest » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:09 am

Is the device an iPad? If So can the iPad been used? Is it turned on? Has it got a battery? Is there an internet connection? Can we make a call? Can ee check our actual location?

You are wearing simple clothing, consisting of a loose shirt and pants, both a light blue --> do I remember if these clothes belong to me? Were they been given to me? Have I seen them wore by other people in the past? Maybe workers? Prisoners? Blue collars? Someone belonging to a specific category?

Is there something else in the Basket O' Holding?

Can we assume that we do not hear anything? Waves of the sea? Rain? Animals? Can we see what is the weather like? Is it hot? Cold? Do we want to escape the room? What is the material of the walls/floors? Are we tired? Do we feel good/healthy/as always? Do we have any scarf/symbol/tattoo? Something we did not have before entering the room? Relevant how we entered the room? Do we know who brought us there and how since there are no doors apparently? Are there eindows? Have all the exits been transformed into wall? Been closed? Are we on a height? (I am assuming there is gravity and all basic physic laws are respected)

No pockets...do we remember to have something with us that we do not have anymore? Are there mirrors? Is the rrom empty a part from the Basket? Can you please make pressure in any part of the walls? Is something moving? Any secret passage? Are the walls uniform? Can you knock on the walls to check if any echo is present/ if any relevant change in the sound happens? Mayve walls are void in some points or we can spot if they have been added later...
Earnest

Postby raevenclaw » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Is the device an iPad? No, although it looks similar enough that the operation of said device should be roughly the same. If So can the iPad been used? Is it turned on? It is not turned on, but you are able to turn it on. The screen displays the message 'Insufficient user values'. Has it got a battery? Presumably, yes, given that you were able to turn it on. Is there an internet connection? Can we make a call? Can ee check our actual location? You're not sure, given that the only thing the tablet seems to currently be able to do is display that message.

You are wearing simple clothing, consisting of a loose shirt and pants, both a light blue --> do I remember if these clothes belong to me? Were they been given to me? Have I seen them wore by other people in the past? Maybe workers? Prisoners? Blue collars? Someone belonging to a specific category? You're fairly certain they belong to you. And no, you don't remember seeing them, or a similar kind of clothing, being worn by others in the past.

Is there something else in the Basket O' Holding? Nope, just the tablet.

Can we assume that we do not hear anything? You can, and you would be correct. Waves of the sea? Rain? Animals? Can we see what is the weather like? Is it hot? Cold? While you cannot tell what the weather is like outside the room, it is perfectly comfortable within. Do we want to escape the room? While it is true that there are no apparent threats to your safety, you feel like staying in the same room forever would be pretty boring. What is the material of the walls/floors? The floor is tile, the walls are...whatever walls are usually made of. Are we tired? Do we feel good/healthy/as always? You do indeed. Do we have any scarf/symbol/tattoo? You do not. Something we did not have before entering the room? You're not sure because... Relevant how we entered the room? ...you have no idea how you got into the room. Do we know who brought us there and how since there are no doors apparently? You do not know. Are there eindows? Have all the exits been transformed into wall? Been closed? No windows, you assume either all exits were transformed into wall or you were teleported in here, given the complete lack of said exits. Are we on a height? (I am assuming there is gravity and all basic physic laws are respected) No, the floor is level (and yes, all basic physical laws are being respected).

No pockets...do we remember to have something with us that we do not have anymore? Well, aside from a general lack of freedom to move about the world at large as you please, you aren't missing anything. Are there mirrors? Nope. Is the rrom empty a part from the Basket? It is indeed. Can you please make pressure in any part of the walls? Is something moving? Any secret passage? Are the walls uniform? Can you knock on the walls to check if any echo is present/ if any relevant change in the sound happens? Mayve walls are void in some points or we can spot if they have been added later... You move about the room, pressing and knocking at various points. As far as you can tell, no secret passageways or weak points.
raevenclaw

Postby CoffeeBean » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:20 pm

See if the device has any way to enter information. Are there any controls along the edge of it? Any icons on the screen? Does the device respond in any way when you touch the screen?
So an examination of the room reveals no other objects, no windows, no markings of any kind? Just two framed sections of wall on one side of the room?
CoffeeBean

Postby Earnest » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:53 am

The screen displays the message 'Insufficient user values'. --> is it the only thing displayed? Are there relevant buttons? Green/red buttons? Confirm button? What if we press on the message? Fingerprints relevant?

Insufficient user values --> is it a meaningful complete sentence per se? Are the words displayed as in a sentence? As three different sentences? Had the device been used previously?(e.g. the screen been touched before?) Would the message have appeared anyway as soon as the device would have been turned on? Is it a sort of password? Enigma? Joke? Puzzle/riddle?

Is the writing written in a relevant font? As a code? With different colors/types/fonts? Is the rest of the screen black? Can we see the sentence clearly? Are the values referred to the user? Do any users have different "values"? Are there writings on the wall? Paintings?
Earnest

Postby raevenclaw » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:37 am

See if the device has any way to enter information. Are there any controls along the edge of it? Any icons on the screen? Does the device respond in any way when you touch the screen? You pull the tablet out of your Basket O' Holding. On the back is a light blue square, and the screen of the tablet is blank.
So an examination of the room reveals no other objects, no windows, no markings of any kind? Just two framed sections of wall on one side of the room? You examine the room. You see another person standing a few feet away from you. On the wall, there are two frames with a shimmering blue substance inside them.

The screen displays the message 'Insufficient user values'. --> is it the only thing displayed? Are there relevant buttons? Green/red buttons? Confirm button? What if we press on the message? Fingerprints relevant? Actually, the message has disappeared now, leaving the screen blank. You examine the tablet closer, and see that it now has a brown square on the back.

Insufficient user values --> is it a meaningful complete sentence per se? Are the words displayed as in a sentence? As three different sentences? Had the device been used previously?(e.g. the screen been touched before?) Would the message have appeared anyway as soon as the device would have been turned on? You get the feeling that had circumstances been different, the message would not have appeared. You also get the feeling that now that it is gone, it is no longer relevant. Is it a sort of password? Enigma? Joke? It was mainly a bit of a joke/reference to the first latventure I ever ran, in which there was a stereo with 'insufficient use values'. Puzzle/riddle?

Is the writing written in a relevant font? As a code? With different colors/types/fonts? Is the rest of the screen black? Can we see the sentence clearly? Are the values referred to the user? Do any users have different "values"? As mentioned, the screen is now blank. Are there writings on the wall? Paintings? Looking at the walls, you see that the two frames now contain a blue, shimmering substance.
raevenclaw

Postby Earnest » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:22 am

So it's me and CoffeeBean in the room right? So I am assuming HAM...

I guess I see a man too...so...has the man good intentions? Has he got something relevant? Any object/relevant clothing? Please ask info to the man. Is the man in our same situation? Can we consider each other friends? Competitors? Accomplices? Is the man free to move?

Brown square on the back: is it a hole? A key? A button? Is it in the middle of the device? On one of the corners? Is there written something? Is the brown square big (e.g. large enough to put a cable in it? Larger than a finger when you put on it?) Is it relevantly brown? Does it refer to the other man? Am I associated with blue and him to brown (I am basing on the color of the answers you are giving)? Are there other frames with brown substances? Can I reasonably infer that blue substance and blue square on the back are compatible and brown substance and brown square are too? Do we need to exchange tablets? For the moment however take the two frames and put them in your basket (assuming there are two one for each man). Examine the substance. Is it poisonous? Can you recognize the substance? Is it colored?

Is the substance solid? Liquid? Are the frames one next to the other? On opposite walls? Relevant? (E.g. one is nearer to the other man and one next to you) Do you recognize the substance? Can you take the frames? Examine the substance closer...are the frames relevantly 2?

Insufficient user values would not have appeared had i been alone in the room right?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:10 pm

Let's try tapping, double-tapping, and then pressing and holding the button on the back. Does anything happen to the device corresponding with those actions? Do those actions change anything within the room? Is the blue button the power button we hit the first time? If not, can we perform the same actions with it, checking for changes on the device and in the room, please?

Let's examine that shimmering substance. As you move closer to it, does the other person move as well? Is the substance a mirror? Some other reflective surface? Is it water? A portal? Can you stick your hand through it?

Assuming the other person is not just a reflected you, can you describe what they're wearing? What happens if you say hello to them?
trebor

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles