[IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby irishelk » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Welcome to my lateral text adventure, yay! I'm not going to be picky on language, just tell me what your character will do and I'll do it. Feel free to name or give more characteristics to yourself, if that's your style. There may be a couple of places where the decisions made will have irreversible consequences, but those shouldn't be until near the end...and I'll allow some rewinding at that point.

“I almost feel bad, makin' you go in on your own,” Keen sighs, glancing back down the tunnel at you. Her short red hair and freckles make her look perpetually youthful and innocent despite her age. But there is a flash of mischief in her green eyes. “No worries though, you’ll have plenty of help, I'm sure. Look, anything you find, you just haul out, and we’ll split this fifty-fifty. Deal?”

You are tempted to renegotiate the deal, now, but of course you wouldn’t be here if not for Keen. She showed you the entrance to the tunnel into Golden Manor, which was rumored to be lost forever. She’d climbed through the sewer with you, and she was crouched with you now, in the low-ceilinged, mildewed root cellar. You nod to her conditions, but say, “What else can you tell me about this place?”

“Oh wow, the stories I could tell. Me and Allie, Brian, Nate and Jack…Wait, didn’t I give you the papers? There’s a map, a newspaper clipping, and my instructions. Didn’t I hand them to you?”

You check your backpack to be polite, but of course it’s empty. She didn’t hand you a thing.

“Oh, of course. I left them in the mudroom, the last time I tried to go in there.”

“The mudroom?”

“Yeah, the room right through there.” Keen points upward to a circular metal disc in the ceiling of the cellar, like (you imagine) a sewer cover would appear from below. “I came here a few years ago, and walked through the Manor for a bit, but I got sorta…antsy. You’ll do much better, I know. I left all the directions you need right on the other side. I’m ninety percent sure.”

You know from previous talks with Keen that her ninety-percents don’t count for all that much. “Okay, let’s go then. Come with me until we find your maps and whatnot, so we can review them together.”

“Nah, I don’t think anyone wants me goin’ back in there again.” What could she mean by that? “But my map’s clear as crystal 'bout where the loot is hid—just follow it.”

You stand to push the sewer lid up, noticing uncomfortably as you do that there is a bolt lock on it. Once you climb up to the other side, someone could lock you up there. “Keen? Listen. I’m going to go up and see if your papers are up there. I’ll bring them right back down, okay? Just stay here and don’t move.”

“Got it.”

You push the lid the rest of the way off, then hoist yourself up into the so-called “mudroom.” It’s pitch-black in here, and smells damp and earthy. You take a few tentative steps forward—and hear the sewer lid quickly rattle shut behind you. There’s a click that sounds stomach-churningly like a bolt being latched.

Welcome to Golden Manor. What do you do?
User avatar
irishelk
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:25 am
Location: Washington DC-ish

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby Balin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:32 pm

What do I do? I get giddy in the excitement for a Latventure. What my character does, though....

Look around. What does the mudroom look like? Are there any papers visible, and is there anything that looks like it could hold papers?
Try opening the sewer lid again.
What exactly do I know about Keen and how did I meet her?
What else do I know about the Golden Manor?
Balin
 
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 11:12 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby irishelk » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:25 pm

Balin

What do I do? I get giddy in the excitement for a Latventure. Good first move! What my character does, though....

Look around. What does the mudroom look like? Still pitch-black--can't see a thing. Are there any papers visible, and is there anything that looks like it could hold papers? Dang, good idea. Really wish I could see literally anything at all.

Try opening the sewer lid again. You dig your fingers in and lift with all your strength, but it's not budging. The bolt's locked.

What exactly do I know about Keen and how did I meet her? It was fortuitous, really. You had been advertising as a treasure hunter for weeks with no potential clients. You were about to pack it in when she called, wanting someone to help her search for the legendary lost treasure of Golden Manor. When you admitted you didn't have much experience, it was almost like that made her more eager to hire you!

What else do I know about the Golden Manor? Not too much, unfortunately--Keen was eager to get going right away, so you didn't have much time to research. You remember vaguely that it belongs to an old-wealth family in the area--well, as old as wealth can get in California. There's rumored to be something valuable hidden in here: you presume gold, from the name, but who knows? And it's rumored to be haunted, of course.
User avatar
irishelk
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:25 am
Location: Washington DC-ish

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby Balin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:34 pm

What have I got in my backpack? Any light source - perhaps a flashlight? If so, please light it and look around.
Balin
 
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 11:12 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby Earnest » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:46 am

“I almost feel bad, makin' you go in on your own,” Keen sighs, glancing back down the tunnel at you. Her short red hair and freckles make her look perpetually youthful and innocent despite her age. But there is a flash of mischief in her green eyes. “No worries though, you’ll have plenty of help, I'm sure. Look, anything you find, you just haul out, and we’ll split this fifty-fifty. Deal?” -----> may I say that this resembled me a lot Aladdin scene of the cavern? That's cool!

Hi,

I am Earnest Jones the apprentice adventurer of Mr. Scott who had recently died in Eldorado. Mr Scott had always advised me to be suspicious so what I am thinking right now is that there should be some connection between Keen and the family...maybe Keen had lied or omitted something. Also, I am afraid that she needed a sacrificial victim. My lack of experience made me more live in her eyes maybe...a more expert adventurer would have had much more information.

Smells damp and earthy...mmm maybe there is some source of water and there are few openings...well ok I am in sewer but anyway...any relevant sound? Any other relevant smell? I would touch the ground please...is it made of mud? Land? Others? Is Keen able to hear you? To talk with you (if so can we try to ask her if she closed the sewer and why she did it? What if we threaten her not to take the treasure?)? Can we assume she escaped? Any eco if a noise is made?

Assuming that a light has been turned on after Balin's move, is there any opening (more than one? Many doors that led to other rooms?)? Any source of water (maybe following the current will lead us somewhere)? Any door? Any paper? Any mention of the treasure? Anything relevant on walls? Any direction? Sign of death ? Sign of past steps? Steps of past explorers? Signs of Keen (she claimed to have been already there right?)?
Earnest
 
Posts: 2442
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 7:52 am

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby irishelk » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:29 am

Balin

What have I got in my backpack? Hm, haven't pulled this thing out since college, let's see...a PENCIL, my STUDENT ID, a crumpled up PIECE OF PAPER that got wedged in the bottom, some LINT, and, what is this? You're trying to figure out just by feeling...oh, it's a roll of LIFESAVERS candy.
Any light source - perhaps a flashlight? If so, please light it and look around. Wait--don't wintergreen Lifesavers glow in the dark when you break them?! Excited, you snap one in half. There's a brief spark of light in the dark, then nothing. Well, that was dumb.


Earnest

may I say that this resembled me a lot Aladdin scene of the cavern? That's cool! Nice! I'm sure that scene was unconsciously rattling around in my brain!

Hi,

I am Earnest Jones the apprentice adventurer of Mr. Scott who had recently died in Eldorado. Mr Scott had always advised me to be suspicious so what I am thinking right now is that there should be some connection between Keen and the family...maybe Keen had lied or omitted something. Also, I am afraid that she needed a sacrificial victim. My lack of experience made me more live in her eyes maybe...a more expert adventurer would have had much more information. Hi Mr. Jones. I think you might be on to something there.

Smells damp and earthy...mmm maybe there is some source of water and there are few openings...well ok I am in sewer but anyway...any relevant sound? You stand still for a moment, but there is total darkness. Any other relevant smell? Just earth and wintergreen Lifesaver.
I would touch the ground please...is it made of mud? Land? Others? Sure. It's concrete flooring, but there's a thin layer of dirt on top of it. Ew. You wipe your hand on your pant leg.

Is Keen able to hear you? Maybe. To talk with you (if so can we try to ask her if she closed the sewer and why she did it? You call down to her with this question. Her reply comes muffled through the floor, "Well, y'see, there's some things up there that might not like me hanging around. I'd rather leave this closed, if you don't mind. But don't worry, they'll love you. Tell you what, once you find the loot, head to the Garden and climb over the wall. That'll put you out-front a the house, and I'll meet ya there."
What if we threaten her not to take the treasure?)? "Aw, come on. You want it as much as I do. 'Sides, you might need my help gettin' out the other side, so I'd be careful with who you threaten, dearie."
Can we assume she escaped? With that, you hear her footsteps retreat out of the cellar beneath you, back in the direction of the sewer tunnel. Yeah, she's gone. Any eco if a noise is made? There was no echo when you spoke; in fact, your voice sounds very close and dampened, as if you are in a small room with lots of stuff in it.

Assuming that a light has been turned on after Balin's move, is there any opening (more than one? Many doors that led to other rooms?)? Any source of water (maybe following the current will lead us somewhere)? Any door? Any paper? Any mention of the treasure? Anything relevant on walls? Any direction? Sign of death ? Sign of past steps? Steps of past explorers? Signs of Keen (she claimed to have been already there right?)? All wonderful questions, but you still can't see a darn thing. You don't hear any water.
User avatar
irishelk
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:25 am
Location: Washington DC-ish

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby Earnest » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Irish do you mind if I (and I invite also others to do so, please) I take notes on important info? So:
    they will love you --> who?
    you are in a small room with lots of stuff in it
    Keen said: head to the Garden and climb over the wall. That'll put you out-front a the house, and I'll meet ya there


Since we do not know if there is someone else in the room; tell that you come in peace and introduce yourself with a fake name; tell that you know Keen and wait for the reaction of the possible other entity in the room (if he/she dislikes Keen tell that she forced you to come to the room; if he/she does not know Keen go directly to the next step; if he/she likes Keen, go to the next step directly please); please ask if there is someone else and if he/she is able to turn the light on.
It's concrete flooring, but there's a thin layer of dirt on top of it. --> dust? Can we identify what type of dirt somehow?
Please walk slowly right in front of you with arms in front of you like a zombie--> do my arms crash into something? Do my legs? Please touch it...whatever is that? A table? Can you light up some Lifesavers? Can you see something?

Please, grope around --> anything relevant? Do eyes get used to darkness?
Earnest
 
Posts: 2442
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 7:52 am

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:45 pm

Anything in our pockets? Btw, how are we dressed?
Acridian9
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 7:43 pm
Location: Pisa, Italy

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby irishelk » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:51 am

Earnest

Irish do you mind if I (and I invite also others to do so, please) I take notes on important info? Sure! Given that you have a pencil and piece of paper in the backpack, I think you can take as many notes as needed. I also like the convention of using italics if you're talking to other players (or me OOC).

Since we do not know if there is someone else in the room; tell that you come in peace and introduce yourself with a fake name; tell that you know Keen and wait for the reaction of the possible other entity in the room (if he/she dislikes Keen tell that she forced you to come to the room; if he/she does not know Keen go directly to the next step; if he/she likes Keen, go to the next step directly please); please ask if there is someone else and if he/she is able to turn the light on. You declare all of this in your best "totally not afraid of the dark" voice. There is no response--except when you first say "is there someone else here?" you think you might hear a playful laugh, in a high-pitched, maybe-female voice. After that there is silence.
It's concrete flooring, but there's a thin layer of dirt on top of it. --> dust? Can we identify what type of dirt somehow? Oh boy. You have to touch it again? Gross. Okay, well, it feels like regular dirt, kind of crumbly and clay-like, like the soil in this area. It's not a thick layer, more like the accumulated detritus of years of people stomping through in muddy boots.
Please walk slowly right in front of you with arms in front of you like a zombie--> do my arms crash into something? After walking just a couple of feet, your hands hit a wall. So at least in this direction, it's a narrow room.
And it might be a good time to mention: you are blessed with an impeccable internal compass. Part of the reason you think you might be a good treasure hunter. So--you know that you just walked east from one side of the room to the other.
Do my legs? Please touch it...whatever is that? Just a wall. Feels like plaster. A table? Can you light up some Lifesavers? You snap a few more. Can you see something? Just a little split-second spark of light each time one snaps. This is some good clean fun, but probably will not find you any treasure.

Please, grope around --> anything relevant? You reach out to the left (north)--nothing, but there is more space that way to walk if you like. You grope around to the right (south)--your hand hits something. You hear a lot of glass rattling, and something hit the floor and smash. Oops!
The thing you're touching feels like a piece of furniture or shelving made of wood. There's also more empty space to walk around it to the south if you want.
Do eyes get used to darkness? Unfortunately, no, there's no light in here whatsoever.


Acridian9

Anything in our pockets? Let's see...your house keys and your wallet, which contains your driver's license and $12.57. Your life savings! Yeah, you really need this payday. Btw, how are we dressed? I leave that entirely up to you! Not wearing anything especially useful though. =)
User avatar
irishelk
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:25 am
Location: Washington DC-ish

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby Earnest » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:13 pm

Thinking to myself...if someone laughed, either there is an opening or the walls are not that thick so that someone can hear me...


does the voice sound like Keen's voice? Can you please ask again if there is someone this time on the south side and on the north side...can I hear the female voice?...and throw some mud on these sides please

Can I reach the ceiling? If so please touch all around...does something happen?
Please, explore more north and south...what about west?

Piece of furniture or shelving made of wood --> is there something on it? Are the glass empty? Relevant how many they are? Do they contain something? A liquid? If they are not useful put inside the bag...maybe they will be later on?

Can I identify from which side the voice came from (north,east, south or west?) Maybe I can go that direction...
Earnest
 
Posts: 2442
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 7:52 am

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 pm

I have a suspicion that the giggling we heard could also be from a voice-activated sensor within a doll or something. Or a camera. Hmm. I'm also thinking that at some point the our life savings of $12.57 might have something to do with the Lifesavers.

Is our student ID for a post-secondary institution? High school? What have we been studying there?

Being careful not to cut yourself, can you examine the furniture you bumped into and its contents? Is it a shelf? Or a lamp? Are you able to tell what you broke? Did you break a light fixture? Once you've completed your examination of that can you proceed south of whatever you bumped into, checking for a light switch or dangly chain or some other light source?
trebor
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:23 am
Location: Canada

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby irishelk » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:03 pm

Earnest

does the voice sound like Keen's voice? No, her voice is a lower pitch. Can you please ask again if there is someone this time on the south side and on the north side...can I hear the female voice? You ask in either direction...nothing. ...and throw some mud on these sides please It's just a thin layer of dirt on the floor, but you scrape up a bit and throw some to the north, and some to the south. There are soft floofs as they land on the floor.

Can I reach the ceiling? You stretch as high as you can, but can't feel anything. If so please touch all around...does something happen?

Please, explore more north and south You slowly, carefully make your way north, and walk several paces before your right foot hits something soft. You bend down and--ew--there's a giant mound of dirt in the northeast corner of the room. Next to them, on the east wall, you feel a door and a small switch. Turning around, your thigh bangs into something else--there's a small table on this end of the room as well. You walk to the southern end of the room and feel on your left that piece of furniture you touched before; it is indeed a large shelving unit. And in the southwest corner there is another big pile where dirt has collected. No one's done housekeeping in quite a while.
...what about west? You walk along the western wall--you feel the sewer plate you came in through underfoot. Otherwise you encounter nothing.

Piece of furniture or shelving made of wood --> is there something on it? Yes, you feel the rounded ends of a lot of bottles. Are the glass empty? You pick a bottle up. It feels like it's full of liquid. Relevant how many they are? You have no idea what's relevant, but there's a ton of bottles--you feel six shelves that are all packed full. Do they contain something? A liquid? Yep. If they are not useful put inside the bag...maybe they will be later on? You can't put a hundred or so bottles in your little backpack...maybe one or two. But which?

Can I identify from which side the voice came from (north,east, south or west?) No, it was just a very brief impression of a voice. Maybe you were hearing things. Maybe I can go that direction...


trebor

Is our student ID for a post-secondary institution? High school? It's from when you went to college for a couple semesters. That was before you realized your true life's work was seeking relics and treasure hoards. What have we been studying there? Oh, you know, getting the gen ed stuff out of the way...you took some psychology classes but never declared a major...

Being careful not to cut yourself, can you examine the furniture you bumped into and its contents? Is it a shelf? It's half a dozen shelves stocked with many, many bottles of something. Or a lamp? Unfortunately, no. Are you able to tell what you broke? Did you break a light fixture? Reaching carefully down, you feel thick, curved pieces of broken glass with liquid on them. You would guess that you probably knocked off one of the bottles.
Once you've completed your examination of that can you proceed south of whatever you bumped into, checking for a light switch or dangly chain or some other light source? You head south again--and immediately hit a wall. The edge of the shelving is right up against the south wall of the room. No switches or chains here, but there is a door on this wall.
User avatar
irishelk
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:25 am
Location: Washington DC-ish

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby Earnest » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:27 pm

so pile of dirt in north; east a switch and a door and a table; southwest again dirt and south shelves with bottles right?

Can we turn the switch on? Is there light? Does the door open? If the latter, can we exploit the light coming from the other side and see the bottles? What is the liquid? What is written on them? If you feel like they are useful take two of them....ok maybe I need to think more about that
Earnest
 
Posts: 2442
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 7:52 am

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:30 pm

In case we get some light, this is what I would like you to do:
- look around and give a description of the objects in the room we don't yet know
- look at the floor to see if there are footprints or other traces
- get one of the broken glasses and smell it. Is it wine?
- examine both piles of dirt (and please find a +2 Sword of Power!! :D)
- try both doors to see if they are locked. If you can open one, then open it just a little to see what's beyond
Acridian9
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 7:43 pm
Location: Pisa, Italy

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby irishelk » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:14 pm

Earnest

so pile of dirt in north; east a switch and a door and a table; southwest again dirt and south shelves with bottles right? All this is correct. I had the table in the center of the north end of the room, but it makes no difference.


Can we turn the switch on? You do. Is there light? You hear an encouraging electric hum run through the walls. After a moment, you see two small lines of yellow light near the floor--there is light coming from under both of the doors. Unfortunately, it's not enough to see anything but the dirty, disgusting floor. Does the door open? I presume you mean the one next to the switch? (There's also a door on the south wall.) You find the handle and rattle it. Locked.If the latter, can we exploit the light coming from the other side and see the bottles?
What is the liquid? How do you want to determine that? What is written on them? Still not enough light to see the shelves. If you feel like they are useful take two of them....ok maybe I need to think more about that. You'll have to tell me if they're useful--and which of them to take :mrgreen:


Acridian9

In case we get some light, this is what I would like you to do:
- look around and give a description of the objects in the room we don't yet know
- look at the floor to see if there are footprints or other traces Still scary and dark.
- get one of the broken glasses and smell it. Is it wine? That you can do. You carefully pick up a piece of glass and sniff. Yep, getting a real wine-y aroma off that. A definite bouquet of fermented grapes. With your refined palate, you'd say it's either red wine, or white wine...possibly rose.

- examine both piles of dirt (and please find a +2 Sword of Power!! :D) Oh yeah, no...uh, no problem...*hesitates, shaking*...
Okay, time to confess something to yourself. You're an inveterate germophobe, and maybe a touch obsessive over cleanliness. Under normal circumstances, you don't mess with anything dirty, smelly, gloopy or gross. Just the idea of plunging your hands blindly into those piles of dirt makes you break out in a cold sweat. What if there's...BUGS?!
Maybe, MAYBE if you could see what you were doing, it'd be tolerable.


- try both doors to see if they are locked. If you can open one, then open it just a little to see what's beyond. The door on the east wall is firmly locked. You follow the thin band of light back to the southern door--it's open! You peek inside: finally, some light! Though it's from an old, dim bulb, you can see it's a bathroom. There is a sink just east of the door, and a bathtub on the opposite side of the room.
User avatar
irishelk
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:25 am
Location: Washington DC-ish

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:17 pm

Let's explore the bathroom!
Are the taps working? Can we get water? Is there a switch?

I presume the dim light is not enough for you to see something in the cellar.
What clould be tried is to remove the dim bulb and plug it somewhere in the cellar. You could use the table, say in the middle of the room, to reach for a light fixture. Evaluate if this is possible.
Btw, is there something on the table?

You could also get a bottle and examine it under the dim light.
Acridian9
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 7:43 pm
Location: Pisa, Italy

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby irishelk » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:38 pm

Acridian9

Let's explore the bathroom! Woohoo!
Are the taps working? Can we get water? You try turning on the faucet taps--nothing. Of course, that would be too simple. Um...there is a gun on the counter here. Just...seems like an odd place for a gun, thought I'd mention it. Is there a switch? Not in this room, no. There are six pipes going from floor to ceiling on the western wall, but it doesn't look like there's any way to manipulate them.
Also, something in here smells terrible.


I presume the dim light is not enough for you to see something in the cellar. Actually, enough light is going back into the cellar for you to see the wine rack, and the dirt pile in the southwest corner. Everything else is still in shadow.
What could be tried is to remove the dim bulb and plug it somewhere in the cellar. You could use the table, say in the middle of the room, to reach for a light fixture. Evaluate if this is possible. You leave the bulb on for now for the tiny bit of light it affords, and go back to the table. You stand up on it, and you can reach the ceiling, but you don't feel any light fixture. You can't see one on any visible part of the ceiling.
Btw, is there something on the table? There is. As you climb up, you knock over something small and metallic. You touch it hesitantly. It's a tall, thin candle in a metal holder.

You could also get a bottle and examine it under the dim light. You grab a bottle at random and hold it up to the light. Thornefoot Manor Grand Cru, the label reads, and there's a picture of a large house with two stories and a tower. The vintage is 1910. This one is a merlot.
User avatar
irishelk
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:25 am
Location: Washington DC-ish

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:02 pm

Examine the gun. is it real? is it loaded? or is it a lighter?

Examine the candle too. Is the bulb hot enough to light the candle? Any other source of heat in the rooms?

Take another look at the shelf: only bottles there?
Take a look also at the visible dirt pile. Maybe use the gun to search in it.
Acridian9
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 7:43 pm
Location: Pisa, Italy

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby Earnest » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:18 am

thinking...maybe alchol can be used to burn something?! We need something to light up the candle!...also...did someone produced the wine and bring it there?!...mmm...further, we can presume that we turned on the light on the other two rooms, the bathroom and the other locked room from the room where we find ourselves. Maybe there is a switch on the other rooms able to turn the light on our room or the bulb in our room is simoly broken...

Is there any switch in the bathroom? If so, please turn it on. Any bullet in around? If so, used bullets (as if someone shot with the gun...if so maybe there is also some gunpowder...would it be safe to light up a wintergreen lifesaver on it?... )? Unused ones? Put them in your bag please.

Please read the story on the bottles of wine.
Any opening in the bathroom? Can we follow the pipes and see where in the ceiling they end up? Anything relevant? Is the bulb hot?

If the gun is a lighter please turn the candle on and explore the room. If it is a real gun that can be used, maybe we can try to shot toward the locked door and use the hit produced by the gun to light up the candle.

or maybe we could try something with the powder...what do you think Acridian?
Earnest
 
Posts: 2442
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 7:52 am

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby irishelk » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:08 pm

Acridian9

Examine the gun. is it real? Oh yeah. I mean, you're not a gun...expert...person, but it looks and feels really real. is it loaded? After some embarrassing fumbling, you spin the barrel, put it back together, and pull the trigger a few times. Nope, not loaded. or is it a lighter? No, but that would be a lot more helpful!

Examine the candle too. It's a long, slender white candle in a light metal holder. Is the bulb hot enough to light the candle? You hold it up there for a few minutes, but nothing happens. Any other source of heat in the rooms? Hopefully, but none that you've encountered yet.

Take another look at the shelf: only bottles there? Yep, just chock-full of wine.
Take a look also at the visible dirt pile. ...yeah, I guess it's come down to that, hasn't it? Icky...
Maybe use the gun to search in it. Oh, great idea! You use the barrel to sift around through the dirt. almost immediately, you find a piece of paper with INSTRUCTIONS scrawled across the top in messy handwriting. You dig through all the way to the floor, and right at the bottom is a box of matches.


Earnest

Is there any switch in the bathroom? Nope. If so, please turn it on. Any bullet in around? If so, used bullets (as if someone shot with the gun...if so maybe there is also some gunpowder...would it be safe to light up a wintergreen lifesaver on it?... )? Unused ones? Put them in your bag please. You haven't seen any.

Please read the story on the bottles of wine. It doesn't say anything else on the bottles. You pick up a few more--different varieties and vintages, but all "Thornefoot Manor," all around a hundred years old.
Any opening in the bathroom? There's the door you came in...then there's the faucet and drain in the sink, but you're too big to fit through those. =) Presumably there's also a faucet and drain in the bathtub.
Can we follow the pipes and see where in the ceiling they end up? They run right along the west wall, going through openings in the floor and ceiling. Anything relevant? You have no idea what's relevant. Is the bulb hot? Regular lightbulb temperature, yeah.

If the gun is a lighter please turn the candle on and explore the room. If it is a real gun that can be used, maybe we can try to shot toward the locked door and use the hit produced by the gun to light up the candle. Alas, no lighter and no bullets.

And double alas, I will be out of town for the next week so my responses will be delayed. Sorry to leave you in the mudroom, but at least there's some light! And at least you haven't looked in the bathtub yet... :twisted:
User avatar
irishelk
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:25 am
Location: Washington DC-ish

Re: [IrishElk] Escape from Golden Manor ~ LATVENTURE

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:02 pm

Ok, so when you have time:

- light the candle
- examine the part of the cellar we couldn't see before (don't forget the other dirt pile :D !)
- read Keen instrucitions
- and ................. examine the buthtub!!!!
Acridian9
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 7:43 pm
Location: Pisa, Italy


Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
cron