[Klondike Mary] On the level, part II

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Klondike Mary] On the level, part II

Postby klondike mary » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:15 am

Just got back from a longhish road trip, during which I fulfilled a life-long ambition and visited a Swiss alp. It was not what I, or anyone, would have expected. On the other hand, it was just what I should have expected.
klondike mary

Re: On the level, part II

Postby peter365 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:43 am

HI there,

By alp I assume you mean a mountain? Was it a disappointment? or better than you expected? Did you ascend the mountain in any way? was the weather relevant? Did you visit as part of a group?

Had you visited an alp in another country e.g. France would the same situation have occurred?
peter365

Re: [Klondike Mary] On the level, part II

Postby klondike mary » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:25 pm

By alp I assume you mean a mountain? Yes, dictionary definition of 'alp' includes 'mountain
Was it a disappointment? or better than you expected? Certainly not better.Did you ascend the mountain in any way? Yes, but explore. was the weather relevant? Did you visit as part of a group? No and no.

Had you visited an alp in another country e.g. France would the same situation have occurred? I was not in France, but location is relevant
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:22 pm

If anyone is interested in continuing this, it might help to pin down or eliminate geographical locations.
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:38 am

Did you climb the alp? Did you visit villages? Did you see the snow? Had you gone in another season would you have fulfilled your ambitions? Were you in Italy? Swiss? Liechtenstein? I know that some of the Alps are between borders, i.e. a side in Italy and a side in Swiss for instance. Is anything like that relevant? E.g. Name of the mountain relevant? Name given in a nation different from the one given to the other side? Or maybe misleading names (like Monte Rosa which means Pink Mountain)

Expectations: about weather? about the height of the mountain? The presence of animals? The absence of men? Being surrounded by nature? Drink pure water? Skying? See ice? See snow even at a low altitude? About food? Hospitality? About the difference with respect to US mountains? About panoramas? About long walks on the Alps? Heidi cartoon relevant?

Is any natural event relevant? Avalanches? Clouds? Taking pictures? Ski-lift / transport facilities? Is internet/technology relevant? Are maps relevant? Google maps? Mountain houses relevant? Did you walk a lot? Lakes relevant? Iced lakes? Ice statues relevant? Did you want to replicate a picture? See the location of something relevant? See the location of a NatGeo panorama? Did you go there just to visit the Alps? Maybe to study rocks as geologist? To check the presence of fossils? Aerial views of Alps relevant?

Relevant how the life-long ambition to visit the Swiss-Alp formed? Did someone talk to you about their beauty? Have you seen pictures/videos/documentaries? Did you want to perform a relevant activity on the mountain? E.g. rafting? Camping? Others? Did you expect something to be as it is in U.S./Canada?

It was just what I should have expected --> did you know it a priori? Did you learn it after you visited the Alp? Had you not taken into account something relevant? It was just what I should have expected in the moment you visited the Alp? Or in generale? I mean, whenever you visit the Alps you should expect it? Are members of the crew relevant (e.g. presence of babies did not allow you and others to do something relevant)?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:31 pm

Did you climb the alp? Yessish, DOYD of 'climb.' Did you visit villages? Did you see the snow? Had you gone in another season would you have fulfilled your ambitions? No to all.Were you in Italy? Swiss? Liechtenstein? No to all.I know that some of the Alps are between borders, i.e. a side in Italy and a side in Swiss for instance. Is anything like that relevant? No.E.g. Name of the mountain relevant? Name given in a nation different from the one given to the other side? N.r., FAOr maybe misleading names (like Monte Rosa which means Pink Mountain)Hmm - a misleading name is relevant, which is the cause of the FA, but not the name of a mountain.

Expectations: about weather?Question is, whose expectations? Mine might not be the same as yours, or someone else's. about the height of the mountain? The presence of animals? The absence of men? Being surrounded by nature? Drink pure water? Skying? See ice? See snow even at a low altitude? About food? Hospitality? About the difference with respect to US mountains? About panoramas? About long walks on the Alps? Heidi cartoon relevant? Same answer to all of these.

Is any natural event relevant? Avalanches? Clouds? Taking pictures? Ski-lift / transport facilities? Is internet/technology relevant? None of these things is relevant.Are maps relevant? Google maps? No to both.Mountain houses relevant? No to both. Did you walk a lot? NOLakes relevant? Iced lakes? Ice statues relevant? Did you want to replicate a picture? See the location of something relevant? See the location of a NatGeo panorama? Did you go there just to visit the Alps? Maybe to study rocks as geologist? To check the presence of fossils? Aerial views of Alps relevant?No to all.

Relevant how the life-long ambition to visit the Swiss-Alp formed?Something on my bucket list. Did someone talk to you about their beauty? Have you seen pictures/videos/documentaries? Yes to both. Did you want to perform a relevant activity on the mountain? E.g. rafting? Camping? Others? No to all.Did you expect something to be as it is in U.S./Canada? N.r., FA

It was just what I should have expected --> did you know it a priori? Did you learn it after you visited the Alp? Had you not taken into account something relevant? It was just what I should have expected in the moment you visited the Alp? Or in generale? I mean, whenever you visit the Alps you should expect it? Are members of the crew relevant (e.g. Hard to answer these q's, so let's say n.r.
I should warn you, when this puzzle is solved, you are either going to want to kick yourself, or come through cyberspace and kick me, or both!
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:46 pm

So did you expect to walk a lot? Did you actually visit Swiss Alps? A single Alp? In Europe? Did the trip last weeks? Days? Hours? Seconds?

Name of the mountain relevant (if so may I invoke the list of Swiss Alps names?...I mean I do not remember all of them and copy pasting them from wikipedia seems to me the same as invoking the list)? Is a mountain relevant at all? 3D visualization? Did you walk at all? If not (as above), did you drive? Did you use some mean of transportation? Were you forced to? Mean of transportation = car? bus? chair lift? Ski lift? Did you fly to the top? Did you exploit means of transportations in order to ascend? To descend? Both? To move from place to another?

Were your plans to go to a Swiss Alp? Did you eventually reach it? Reach the top? Did you ascend all the way to the top? Alone? with a guide? with a group of people? Relevant? Relevant that there is a "Swiss Alp" in Texas?

Is skydiving relevant?
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:24 am

Random thought .... Are Toblerone bars relevant?
peter365

Postby klondike mary » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:28 pm

o did you expect to walk a lot? NoDid you actually visit Swiss Alps? in the plural? No.A single Alp? In Europe? No to both.Did the trip last weeks? Days? Hours? Seconds? Minutes.

Name of the mountain relevantNo. (if so may I invoke the list of Swiss Alps names?...I mean I do not remember all of them and copy pasting them from wikipedia seems to me the same as invoking the list)? Is a mountain relevant at all? 3D visualization? Did you walk at all? No to allIf not (as above), did you drive? Did you use some mean of transportation? Were you forced to? Mean of transportation = car?This. bus? chair lift? Ski lift? Did you fly to the top? Did you exploit means of transportations in order to ascend? To descend? Both? To move from place to another?

Were your plans to go to a Swiss Alp?Not planned. Did you eventually reach it? Reach the top? Did you ascend all the way to the top? Alone? with a guide? with a group of people? Relevant? Relevant that there is a "Swiss Alp" in Texas? Earnest, you have been looking at Google Maps!YUES!

Is skydiving relevant? No.
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:30 pm

I meant YES. Sorry, hit two keys at once.
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:43 pm

Random thought .... Are Toblerone bars relevant? Sadly, no.

************SPOILER*************
There is a small town in central Texas named Swiss Alp. It is sort of on the fringes of the outskirts of the foothills of the Hill Country, but far from mountainous, much less alpine.. This area had many Germanic settlers, as you might guess from town names like Fredericksburg and Van Alastyne. My theory is that they disembarked from the boat in Galveston and spent weeks traversing the flat coastal plains. When they finally sensed a slight rise in the terrain one turned to the other and said, jokingly, "You know, Hans, this reminds me of back home in the Swiss Alps" and Hans said "Ja, zo ve call ze zettlement Swiss Alp."

OK, kick away!
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:58 pm

Oh well actually since I had the hige suspect that it was not in Europe, I just checked Swiss Alp village USA and that's it ;) good one!
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:48 am

Oh that's very clever . I'd never heard of Swiss Alp Texas before.

Nice job!
peter365

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles