[Balin] And I would haul 500 piles (*OUT OF PRINT*)

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] And I would haul 500 piles (*OUT OF PRINT*)

Postby Balin » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:50 pm

Why does a man print 500 copies of a document?
Balin

Re: [Balin] And I would haul 500 piles

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:25 am

Does he do this intentionally (I once printed out 144 copies of a document by selecting '12' on both the print wizard and the machine itself - you could say I made a gross error in judgment)?

Is the document something that can legally be copied? Does he copy it legally? Is there any criminal or nefarious intent?

Is he following instructions? Does he do this of his own volition?

Is the type of document relevant? Is it legal in nature? Does it pertain to him?

Is the precise number 500 relevant? If not, could he have achieved this same effect with significantly fewer copies? Significantly more?

Does he intend to distribute the copies? Does he intend for a large audience to read it? Does he intend to do things with the copies other than have them read (such as shredding them to be a snowstorm on stage)?

Does the act of printing itself serve a purpose (I'm thinking of vigilantes who fax thousands of blacked-out documents to Scientologists in order to deplete their ink resources)?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:25 pm

Does he do this intentionally? Yes
(I once printed out 144 copies of a document by selecting '12' on both the print wizard (Don't you mean "print [WiZ]ard"?) and the machine itself - you could say I made a gross error in judgment)

Is the document something that can legally be copied? Yes Does he copy it legally? Yes Is there any criminal or nefarious intent? No

Is he following instructions? No Does he do this of his own volition? Yes

Is the type of document relevant? Yes Is it legal in nature? No Does it pertain to him? In a way

Is the precise number 500 relevant? In this case, Yes If not, could he have achieved this same effect with significantly fewer copies? In theory Significantly more? No

Does he intend to distribute the copies? No Does he intend for a large audience to read it? No Does he intend to do things with the copies other than have them read Yes (such as shredding them to be a snowstorm on stage)? Not this

Does the act of printing itself serve a purpose Yes (I'm thinking of vigilantes who fax thousands of blacked-out documents to Scientologists in order to deplete their ink resources)? Not this either
Balin

Postby Earnest » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:30 am

Can we assume modern times? Of the same document? Did he print the document from the same printer? From different ones? In the,same building? Did he want to prevent other prints from being performed? Can we assume that he made the print from his PC? That he received the document by e mail? That the document was send to him directly through the internet? That he wrote down the document? That the document had a single page? That the prints were duplex? Colored? Black and white? That the document contained: signatures? Symbols? Signs? An historical value? Some sort of values? Gave the right to do something? Was a ticket? A stamp? A bill? A common document?
Were there instructions to print the document? To read it? To share it? To destroy it? Was it part of his job? Of his duties? Were the copies used for protesting against someone/something? As a prove in a trial? To slow down a process?

Did he want to share the copies with someone else? Did he have the document on his PC? If so did he made the document himself? Did he receive it from someone else? If so did he print it as soon as he received it? Had there not been ink/paper in printers, would he have made the act of printing the documents anyway? Did he work in an office? Did he make the prints when nobody was in the office? Did he publish the prints? Was he afraid that someone delete the document? Did he pile the copies together? Automatic printing relevant? E.g. he worked in a library and gave the command of printing 500 copies of anything that was in a certain folder? Or maybe he worked for a newspaper?

Relevant what was the document about? Was there a signature? Did the document have a face value? A print on it? A stamp? Something whose value increased the more copies one had? Money? Shares? Others?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:09 am

Is it a printer stress test? Does he want the printer to run out of/low on supplies? Did he make the document? Is he investigating something? A malfunction? A crime? Printer ozone generation? Other atmospheric contaminant generation? How long supplies last? Is it a laser printer? Inkjet? Wax transfer? Dot matrix? Other? Relevant? Would it work if he printed blank pages? Black pages? Is it a printer made for printing this volume of documents in one go?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:09 pm

Can we assume modern times? Yes Of the same document? Yes Did he print the document from the same printer? Yes From different ones? But this would work too In the,same building? Yes Did he want to prevent other prints from being performed? No Can we assume that he made the print from his PC? Yes That he received the document by e mail? No That the document was send to him directly through the internet? No That he wrote down the document? No That the document had a single page? Yes That the prints were duplex? No Colored? No Black and white? Yope That the document contained: signatures? Symbols? Signs? An historical value? Some sort of values? Gave the right to do something? Was a ticket? A stamp? A bill? A common document? No to these
Were there instructions to print the document? To read it? To share it? To destroy it? Was it part of his job? Of his duties? Were the copies used for protesting against someone/something? As a prove in a trial? To slow down a process?

Did he want to share the copies with someone else? Yes
Did he have the document on his PC? Yes If so did he made the document himself? Yes Did he receive it from someone else? No If so did he print it as soon as he received it? Had there not been ink/paper in printers, would he have made the act of printing the documents anyway? Yes to ink, No to paper Did he work in an office? No Did he make the prints when nobody was in the office? Not an office, No Did he publish the prints? No Was he afraid that someone delete the document? No Did he pile the copies together? Yes Automatic printing relevant? No E.g. he worked in a library and gave the command of printing 500 copies of anything that was in a certain folder? No Or maybe he worked for a newspaper? No

Relevant what was the document about? Yes
Was there a signature? Did the document have a face value? A print on it? A stamp? Something whose value increased the more copies one had? Money? Shares? Others? No to these

Is it a printer stress test? No Does he want the printer to run out of/low on supplies? No Did he make the document? Yes
Is he investigating something? A malfunction? A crime? Printer ozone generation? Other atmospheric contaminant generation? How long supplies last? No to these
Is it a laser printer? Inkjet? Exact type of printer is irrel; assume one of these first two Wax transfer? Dot matrix? Other? Relevant? No
Would it work if he printed blank pages? Definitely Black pages? No Is it a printer made for printing this volume of documents in one go? Not specifically, but it's capable of it
Balin

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:40 pm

Is he printing a completely blank document (such as a word doc with nothing in it?) Does he want to come out with 500 pieces of blank paper (which could otherwise be repurposed)? Is he trying to, for whatever reason, transfer paper from inside the paper (and thus inaccessible) to the paper tray (and thus accessible)?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:48 pm

Is he printing a completely blank document Yes... (such as a word doc with nothing in it?) Yes... Does he want to come out with 500 pieces of blank paper Yes... (which could otherwise be repurposed)? Yes... Is he trying to, for whatever reason, transfer paper from inside the printer (and thus inaccessible) to the paper tray (and thus accessible)? This is the method he uses to achieve his purpose. Now the puzzle is that "for whatever reason" bit
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:25 pm

Did he want the paper to put into another printer? Put back in the same printer? To write on? Fold? Throw away? Is he getting around a rule or law? Getting one over on someone? Being petty? Committing a crime?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:20 am

Did he take the papers? Did he collect them altogether? Did he wait until the last paper had been printed? Would someone else have used such papers? Did he run out of paper? Did he want to save pieces of paper? Did he want to use the papers? Did he want to count the papers? Did he do something on the papers as soon as they were on the tray? (E.g. he signed them somehow in order to see if someone else would have use them later on?)
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:42 am

Did he want the paper to put into another printer? ... Is he getting around a rule or law?

****SPOILER****

HIs school allowed each student to print 500 pages per semester, but as he had his own printer, he would not need to use that amount. He went to the printing lab and asked for his 500 sheets of paper, but they said no. So he opened a blank Word document, printed 500 copies, and left.
Balin

Re: [Balin] And I would haul 500 piles (*OUT OF PRINT*)

Postby irishelk » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:54 pm

Nice one!
irishelk

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles