[Balin] I feel so broke up (*I WANNA GO HOME*)

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] I feel so broke up (*I WANNA GO HOME*)

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:06 pm

Brian lies dead on the floor at his home. He died because Tony and Caroline broke up. How?
Balin

Re: [Balin] I feel so broke up

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:25 pm

Brian = H/A/M? Is he a goldfish whose bowl was knocked over during an argument between Tony and Caroline (you'd think they'd have learned their lesson after what happened to Anthony and Cleopatra)?

Is Brian a relative (child?) of Tony and Caroline. Do they live in the same house? Are they neighbours, or live close by?

Is his cause of death relevant? Was he murdered? Was his death an accident? Is there a crime involved? Is someone other than Tony or Caroline implciated in his death?

Were Tony and Caroline married? Did they relevantly live together, own something jointly, have a shared hobby/activity, shared vested interest in something?
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:05 pm

Did Tony or Caroline want him to die? Know he might die? Did Brina make a mistake? Get murdered? Know Tony? Know Caroline? Commit a crime?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:59 pm

Brian = H/A/M? Yes Is he a goldfish whose bowl was knocked over during an argument between Tony and Caroline (you'd think they'd have learned their lesson after what happened to Anthony and Cleopatra)? No goldfish are harmed during this puzzle

Is Brian a relative (child?) of Tony and Caroline. No Do they live in the same house? Which "they"? Are they neighbours, or live close by? Which "they"?

Is his cause of death relevant? Yes Was he murdered? No Was his death an accident? Yes Is there a crime involved? No Is someone other than Tony or Caroline implciated in his death? No

Were Tony and Caroline married? No Did they relevantly live together, own something jointly, have a shared hobby/activity, shared vested interest in something? "Shared hobby/activity" is a relevant Yes

Did Tony or Caroline want him to die? No Know he might die? No Did Brian make a mistake? Arguably Get murdered? No Know Tony? Yes Know Caroline? Yes Commit a crime? No
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:55 pm

If they hadn't broken up, would he be living in the same home? Did he die from: fall? Poison? Venom? Electrocution? Animal attack? Heat? Cold? Suffocation? Strangulation? Overdose? Trauma? Blood loss? Organ failure? Drowning? Explosion? Fire? Cancer? Inhalation? Ingestion? Illness? Blood clot? Was he doing something risky?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:17 am

Tony and Caroline = H/A?

Did B died killed by Tony? By Caroline? By both? Through a weapon? are bets involved?

"Shared hobby/activity" is a relevant Yes --> mountain climbing? aviation? skydiving? A sport? Science? magic tricks? table games? Others?

Did they relevantly have a fight/discussion? Did they forget the presence of B? E.g. they were scientists or magician and B was under water as a part of an experiment. They had a fight and forgot that B was under water thus "killing" him?
Did B see them braking up? Did he see them having a discussion? Did he see them separated? Did he know they broke up?Did B die long after they broke up? Soon after? Did he commit suicide? Did T and C relevantly know B?
Are T and C famous (e.g. a royal couple)? Did B lose his job? Lose his credibility?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:58 pm

If they hadn't broken up, would he be living in the same home? Yes
Did he die from: fall? Poison? Venom? Electrocution? This Animal attack? Heat? Cold? Suffocation? Strangulation? Overdose? Trauma? Blood loss? Organ failure? Drowning? Explosion? Fire? Cancer? Inhalation? Ingestion? Illness? Blood clot?
Was he doing something risky? No

Tony and Caroline = H/A? Yes

Did B died killed by Tony? By Caroline? By both? Through a weapon? are bets involved? No to all

"Shared hobby/activity" is a relevant Yes --> mountain climbing? aviation? skydiving? A sport? Science? magic tricks? table games? None of these Others? Yes

Did they relevantly have a fight/discussion? Did they forget the presence of B? E.g. they were scientists or magician and B was under water as a part of an experiment. They had a fight and forgot that B was under water thus "killing" him? No to these
Did B see them braking up? Yes Did he see them having a discussion? Yes Did he see them separated? Need clarification on this one Did he know they broke up? Yes Did B die long after they broke up? No Soon after? Yes Did he commit suicide? No Did T and C relevantly know B? Yes
Are T and C famous (e.g. a royal couple)? No Did B lose his job? Yope Lose his credibility? No
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:39 am

Electrocution from: broken appliance? Bare wires? Opened appliance? Grounding fault? Lightning? Stored charge? Electric fence? Taser? An object belonging to himself? Tony? Caroline?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:22 am

I add to GalFisk list: electricity pole? defibrillator relevant? contact electric cable and water relevant? Are B, C and T neighbors? Did B relevantly touch something? Eat something? Came in contact with something? Had T and C simply had a discussion without them breaking up, would the puzzle still work? Or the act of breaking up is necessary for the death of B? If so: their separation? The fact they were no longer a couple? The fact that one of them threw off the wedding ring? Were C and T relevantly married? Had they break up on the phone, would the puzzle have worked? Did T made a relevant action when breaking up with C? Did C? E.g. they left something which they were carrying? they pressed a button? they turn on/off something? others? They stop a phone call (and hence deactivate/activate something through the phone) Were T and C working when breaking up? Was B? Did B work for them? Were T and C his customers? His bosses? Viceversa? Relevant B's relation with T and C? Colleagues? Friends? Was B driving the car where T and C were transported?

Did B see them braking up? Yes --> was B close to them? Was it the right moment to break up (no right moment to break up let's say... but I guess that breaking up while at work/performing an important action is more inappropriate than breaking up while at home having time for discussing)? Did they break up in a pacific way? By screaming/hurting/throwing objects?

Did T and C try to hit each other? Try to hurt each other?

Did they break up in a relevant place: at home? on a train? in a public place? outside? Inside? while raining (lightenings relevant)?

"Shared hobby/activity" is a relevant Yes --> cinema? theater? does it involve electricity? devices? technology? books? risk? Did B, T and C share the same hobby? If so, were they practicing it all together? Was it needed the attention of all the three to perform a relevant action? airplanes or other means of transport relevant?
Had B not died, would someone else be in danger? have died due to an accident?

Did B die because: C or T were distracted? C or T left something opened/turned on or off did not pay attention in what they were doing? Forgot something? Did not check something? Did not observe security measures?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:09 pm

Electrocution from: broken appliance? Bare wires? Opened appliance? Grounding fault? This, I believe Lightning? Stored charge? Electric fence? Taser? An object belonging to himself? But also this Tony? Caroline?

I add to GalFisk list: electricity pole? defibrillator relevant? contact electric cable and water relevant? No to these
Are B, C and T neighbors? No
Did B relevantly touch something? Yes Eat something? No Came in contact with something? Yes Had T and C simply had a discussion without them breaking up, would the puzzle still work? No Or the act of breaking up is necessary for the death of B? Yes If so: their separation? Yes The fact they were no longer a couple? FA The fact that one of them threw off the wedding ring? FA
Were C and T relevantly married? No Had they break up on the phone, would the puzzle have worked? Yes, probably
Did T made a relevant action when breaking up with C? Did C? No to both E.g. they left something which they were carrying? they pressed a button? they turn on/off something? others? They stop a phone call (and hence deactivate/activate something through the phone) Therefore No to these
Were T and C working when breaking up? Yes, or rather shortly before Was B? Yes, see prev Did B work for them? Yes (though I'd say "with" more than "for") Were T and C his customers? His bosses? Viceversa? No, but see next Relevant B's relation with T and C? Yes Colleagues? This Friends? Was B driving the car where T and C were transported? Cars & transport are irrel

Did B see them braking up? Yes --> was B close to them? Yes Was it the right moment to break up (no right moment to break up let's say... but I guess that breaking up while at work/performing an important action is more inappropriate than breaking up while at home having time for discussing)? Irrel Did they break up in a pacific way? Assume it was just a discussion By screaming/hurting/throwing objects? No/Irrel

Did T and C try to hit each other? Try to hurt each other? No/Irrel

Did they break up in a relevant place: Yes at home? Yes... on a train? in a public place? outside? Inside? Therefore this while raining (lightenings relevant)? Lightning is irrel

"Shared hobby/activity" is a relevant Yes -->
cinema? theater? Not these does it involve electricity? Yes, in this case devices? DOYD technology? DOYD books? No risk? No Did B, T and C share the same hobby? Yes If so, were they practicing it all together? They had been Was it needed the attention of all the three to perform a relevant action? No airplanes or other means of transport relevant? No
Had B not died, would someone else be in danger? have died due to an accident? No to both

Did B die because: C or T were distracted? C or T left something opened/turned on or off did not pay attention in what they were doing? Forgot something? Did not check something? Did not observe security measures? No to these
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:41 pm

Was there something wrong with the object? With how Brian used it? If they'd not broken up, would anyone have been electrocuted? If so, Tony? Caroline? Would Brian still have received a shock, but Tony or Caroline would've been there to save him? Relevant what the object was? Where it was? How it was used? If they'd not broken up, would it be used differently? Not used? Used by someone else? Would another object performing the same function be used?
Does the object produce: light? Sound? Picture? Print? Wind? Heat? Cold? Smell? Cooking? Entertainment? Pleasure? Relaxation? Movement? Massage? Electric shocks when used as intended? Fire? An arc? Gas? Transportation? Charging?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:15 am

at home? Yes... --> B's home? C and T's home? Relevant? Can we assume that C and T live together? If so, is their house also their workplace? B's workplace? Switches and sockets relevant? Exposed cables? voltage drop? light bulbs? microwaves? repairing objects relevant? Electrical tips installation?

Did C and T came in contact with the relevant object that killed B? Were B, C and T all touching it? Did C and T lost the grip? Left something falling on the ground? Was B holding the object alone? Were C and T holding the object with him? If so, also when he died? Did something change when C and T fought together? They induced the electrocution directly? Indirectly? Did B relevantly react to them breaking up? If so, was he relevantly: surprised? Relieved? happy? afraid?
Are cameras relevant? Journalism? Did T and C discussed/broke up due to B? Were C and B in a secret relationship? Betrayal relevant?

WAG --> the 3 were changing a light bulb. C and T were balancing the ladder over which B was in order to change the bulb. The began fighting and left the ladder. B hence , in order not to fall, instinctively grab the bare wires on the ceiling while the current flew and got electrocuted.
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:17 pm

Was there something wrong with the object? Yes, but also see below With how Brian used it? No If they'd not broken up, would anyone have been electrocuted? No If so, Tony? Caroline? Would Brian still have received a shock, but Tony or Caroline would've been there to save him? No Relevant what the object was? Yes Where it was? Yes How it was used? No If they'd not broken up, would it be used differently? Not used? Used by someone else? No to these Would another object performing the same function be used? No
Does the object produce: light? Sound? This, No to rest Picture? Print? Wind? Heat? Cold? Smell? Cooking? Entertainment? Pleasure? Relaxation? Movement? Massage? Electric shocks when used as intended? Fire? An arc? Gas? Transportation? Charging?

at home? Yes... -->
B's home? C and T's home? The breakup took place here Relevant? Yes Can we assume that C and T live together? Yes If so, is their house also their workplace? Yes B's workplace? Yes Switches and sockets relevant? Yes - where? Exposed cables? voltage drop? light bulbs? microwaves? repairing objects relevant? Electrical tips installation? No to rest

Did C and T came in contact with the relevant object that killed B? No Were B, C and T all touching it? No Did C and T lost the grip? Left something falling on the ground? Therefore No to these Was B holding the object alone? Yes Were C and T holding the object with him? No If so, also when he died? Did something change when C and T fought together? Yes They induced the electrocution directly? Indirectly? This Did B relevantly react to them breaking up? Somewhat If so, was he relevantly: surprised? Relieved? happy? afraid? Assume "sad"
Are cameras relevant? Journalism? Did T and C discussed/broke up due to B? Were C and B in a secret relationship? Betrayal relevant? No to these

WAG --> the 3 were changing a light bulb. C and T were balancing the ladder over which B was in order to change the bulb. The began fighting and left the ladder. B hence , in order not to fall, instinctively grab the bare wires on the ceiling while the current flew and got electrocuted. Nice guess, but No - OTWT
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:51 am

Object: radio? Walkie talkie? Electric guitar? Ampliphiers? A microphone? An LP? A juke boxe? An appliance? A toy? A carousel? A device? A model (e.g. train model)?

B came into contact with the object = he "played" it? He touched it with a finger? With both hands? With the mouth? With a leg? With an hand? With two fingers (e.g. a switch)? With the head? Others? Did he touch it for more than a second? Was he already touching it when he got electroluted? Was the object making sound when he was electroluted? Before? After?

Switches and sockets relevant? Yes - where?--> near B? Near C? Near T? Inside the house? In a relevant room of the house? Kitchen? Bathroom? Living room? Others?

Is the sound produced: a noise? A melody? A continuous sound? A discontinuous one? An alarm? A bip? Is there volume? Can volume be adjusted? Is the sound produced by the object? By the user (e.g. a microphone or a camera/ recording machine)? Voice tonality relevant? Laud voice (e.g. laud voice implying laud volumes to cover the discussion?)? Unplugging something relevant? Charging something?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:18 am

Trying to address the underlying FA here. Were any of the three people here involved in a romantic/sexual relationship with each other? If so, T and C? Were T and C roommates, as opposed to romantic partners? Were they breaking up in the sense of a couple ending a romantic partnership? Business partners ending a relationship? Breaking up a friendship? Breaking up an organization? Breaking up the object that electrocuted B? Another object? Or perhaps they were phone/radio pioneers testing out new technology and Brian witnessed their phone call/transmission breaking up?

Is the object that electrocuted Brian related to their work? If we figured out there work, would we associate the object that electrocuted Brian with that profession?
trebor

Postby Balin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:36 pm

Object: radio? Walkie talkie? Electric guitar? This Ampliphiers? A microphone? An LP? A juke boxe? An appliance? A toy? A carousel? A device? A model (e.g. train model)?

B came into contact with the object = he "played" it? Yes He touched it with a finger? With both hands? And thus this With the mouth? With a leg? With an hand? With two fingers (e.g. a switch)? With the head? Others? Did he touch it for more than a second? Yes Was he already touching it when he got electroluted? Yes Was the object making sound when he was electroluted? Assume Yes Before? After?

Switches and sockets relevant? Yes - where?--> near B? This Near C? Near T? Inside the house? In Brian's house In a relevant room of the house? Kitchen? Bathroom? Living room? Others?

Is the sound produced: a noise? A melody? This, and other music A continuous sound? A discontinuous one? An alarm? A bip? Is there volume? Yes Can volume be adjusted? Yes Is the sound produced by the object? Yes By the user (e.g. a microphone or a camera/ recording machine)? Voice tonality relevant? Laud voice (e.g. laud voice implying laud volumes to cover the discussion?)? Unplugging something relevant? Charging something?

Trying to address the underlying FA here. Were any of the three people here involved in a romantic/sexual relationship with each other? No, and that's the FA If so, T and C? Were T and C roommates, as opposed to romantic partners? That's not their relevant connection Were they breaking up in the sense of a couple ending a romantic partnership? Business partners ending a relationship? Some subset of this Breaking up a friendship? Breaking up an organization? Or this Breaking up the object that electrocuted B? Another object? Or perhaps they were phone/radio pioneers testing out new technology and Brian witnessed their phone call/transmission breaking up?

Is the object that electrocuted Brian related to their work? Yes If we figured out there work, would we associate the object that electrocuted Brian with that profession? And Yes
Balin

Postby trebor » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:14 pm

Ah, so they were breaking up the band? Did someone neglect do something in the process of taking away equipment that resulted in the electrocution? (I don’t know the process for powering up and down complex sound systems, but I’m thinking of something more than basic amps.)
trebor

Postby Earnest » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:56 pm

relevant C and T roles in the band? Did one play piano? Bass? was a singer? other instruments? Did they break up while singing a song? are wires connected to sockets relevant? Did someone pull off a wire? Stop playing relevantly? a wire put on the wrong socket? was B relevantly standing? Sitting? Did something become electrified? Was electrified also before? Others?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:19 pm

Ah, so they were breaking up the band? Yes, FA cleared! Did someone neglect do something in the process of taking away equipment that resulted in the electrocution? No (I don’t know the process for powering up and down complex sound systems, but I’m thinking of something more than basic amps.) (I don't know a lot about that process either, nor a lot about electricity, so the solution won't involve a lot of ins and outs about exactly how the electrocution occurred.)

relevant C and T roles in the band? Nope Did one play piano? Bass? was a singer? other instruments? Irrel Did they break up while singing a song? No are wires connected to sockets relevant? One socket is relevant Did someone pull off a wire? Stop playing relevantly? a wire put on the wrong socket? No to these was B relevantly standing? Sitting? Either Did something become electrified? Yes Was electrified also before? No Others? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:27 am

Did the guitar relevantly have a wire? Was the wire plugged in the socket? Was something broken? Stumbling relevant? Gettting caught?

One socket is relevant --> did B touch it? With the hands? With a foot? With a conductor? Was he relevantly sweat? After T and C broke up? As a consequence of this? Because he wanted to stop playing? Did T or C touch it? Did he die once he touched the socket? The guitar? Did he touch the guitar before? The socket? Both at the same time? Maybe someone played the guitar while he was turning it off? Or vice versa someone turned the socket off when he played? Any sudden interruption relevant? Did C and T stop playing suddenly? Did B expect it? Relevant? Were the strings of the guitar electrified? Other parts? Guitar pick relevant (e.g. the pick felt in the plug and he tried to take it by putting a finger inside it)?

Assuming the sockets had multiple spaces in which thing could be plugged in and a button which can be pressed in order to turn the socket on or off, right? If so, can we assume that just B's (did the guitar belong to B relevantly?) guitar was plugged in the socket in a conventional way?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:11 am

Did liquid get on the socket? The cord? The guitar? (Perhaps stuff was thrown around in a fit of rage?) Was one person being fired from the band, and the other two carrying on? (If so, T? C? B? Aaaand there’s the BTO classic in my head.) Or was the band just being completely obliterated?
trebor

Postby Balin » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:24 pm

Did the guitar relevantly have a wire? Was the wire plugged in the socket? The guitar was plugged into an amp, which was plugged into the socket Was something broken? For svv of "broken" Stumbling relevant? Gettting caught? No to these

One socket is relevant --> did B touch it? Well, he plugged the cord into it With the hands? See prev With a foot? With a conductor?
Was he relevantly sweat? After T and C broke up? As a consequence of this? Because he wanted to stop playing? No to these
Did T or C touch it? No Did he die once he touched the socket? The guitar? This Did he touch the guitar before? Before what? The socket? Before what? Both at the same time? No
Maybe someone played the guitar while he was turning it off? Or vice versa someone turned the socket off when he played? Any sudden interruption relevant? Did C and T stop playing suddenly? Did B expect it? Relevant? No to these
Were the strings of the guitar electrified? Probably Other parts? Probably Guitar pick relevant (e.g. the pick felt in the plug and he tried to take it by putting a finger inside it)? No

Assuming the sockets had multiple spaces in which thing could be plugged in and a button which can be pressed in order to turn the socket on or off, right? Yes, though on/off button is irrel If so, can we assume that just B's (did the guitar belong to B relevantly?) guitar was plugged in the socket in a conventional way? Yes

Did liquid get on the socket? The cord? The guitar? (Perhaps stuff was thrown around in a fit of rage?) No to all
Was one person being fired from the band, and the other two carrying on? (If so, T? C? B? Aaaand there’s the BTO classic in my head.) Or was the band just being completely obliterated? This
Balin

Postby trebor » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:57 pm

So Brian’s amp was plugged into the wall? And his guitar was plugged into the amp? Did T do something that affected the electricity? Did C? Did B? Flipped a breaker? Unplugged other equipment? Disconnected a surge protector? Did something else they wouldn’t normally do, because the band was breaking up? Something to do with taking down equipment? Dismantling a studio/rehearsal space?
trebor

Postby Earnest » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:57 am

was the amp an old one? A relatively new one? Relevant? was it big? small? cable invention relevant (e.g. cable inserted in the wrong way)? Can we assume a US or UE socket type? any adapter needed?
Broken guitar relevant?

Did something change when C and T fought together? Yes They induced the electrocution directly? Indirectly? This --> Were T and C relevantly close to each other? Far from B? did they fight in another room? Alexa relevant? Vocal commands relevant? Relevant the words of C and T when they broke up?

Were they live making a YouTube video? A direct? Relevant?
Did T and C provoke a grounding fault? Influence the behavior of the socket? Overuse something? Relevant the reason why they broke up? They were not in accordance with the songs to be sung? With music played? With the roles in the band? With something concerning the band? With something involving B directly? The socket? Love? Money? Events? Music?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:16 pm

So Brian’s amp was plugged into the wall? And his guitar was plugged into the amp? Yes and Yes
Did T do something that affected the electricity? Did C? Did B? Flipped a breaker? Unplugged other equipment? Disconnected a surge protector? No to all of these
Did something else they wouldn’t normally do, because the band was breaking up? Yes for Brian
Something to do with taking down equipment? Dismantling a studio/rehearsal space? No to these

was the amp an old one? A relatively new one? Relevant? Irrel. Assume it was old was it big? small? Irrel cable invention relevant (e.g. cable inserted in the wrong way)? No Can we assume a US or UE socket type? any adapter needed? Assume whatever you'd like regarding the type of outlet
Broken guitar relevant? Not really. The most relevant part of the chain of electricity is the socket

Did something change when C and T fought together? Yes They induced the electrocution directly? Indirectly? This -->
Were T and C relevantly close to each other? Far from B? When? did they fight in another room? Alexa relevant? Vocal commands relevant? Relevant the words of C and T when they broke up? No to these

Were they live making a YouTube video? A direct? Relevant? No to these
Did T and C provoke a grounding fault? Influence the behavior of the socket? Overuse something? Relevant the reason why they broke up? They were not in accordance with the songs to be sung? With music played? With the roles in the band? With something concerning the band? With something involving B directly? The socket? Love? Money? Events? Music? No to all of these
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:33 am

Did something else they wouldn’t normally do, because the band was breaking up? Yes for Brian --> he played something he never played before? He modified a chord? he made a solo? He changed guitar (maybe before he was playing an electric guitar but then had the chance to play another one he always wanted to play but that was more powerful than the previous one in terms of WATT)? he destroys his guitar?

was the amplifier ever been unplugged from the socket on the wall? did he had a temper tantrum? did he feel mortified and sad? responsible for the break up? Did he kick the socket?

So time: the socket undergone a modification/was modified by B; he played the guitar after the relevant modification; he got electrocuted. Is it correct? Or: he was playing; the socket undergone a modification/was modified by B; he got electrocuted (while playing?)?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:59 am

Did Brian punch the wall? Or otherwise damage it? And thus, the socket/wiring?
trebor

Postby Balin » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:27 pm

Did something else they wouldn’t normally do, because the band was breaking up? Yes for Brian -->
he played something he never played before? He modified a chord? he made a solo? He changed guitar (maybe before he was playing an electric guitar but then had the chance to play another one he always wanted to play but that was more powerful than the previous one in terms of WATT)? he destroys his guitar? No to these

was the amplifier ever been unplugged from the socket on the wall? Yes did he had a temper tantrum? did he feel mortified and sad? responsible for the break up? Did he kick the socket? No to all

So time: the socket undergone a modification/was modified by B; he played the guitar after the relevant modification; he got electrocuted. Is it correct? Or: he was playing; the socket undergone a modification/was modified by B; he got electrocuted (while playing?)? None of these, as there is no modification to the socket

Did Brian punch the wall? Or otherwise damage it? And thus, the socket/wiring? No
Balin

Postby irishelk » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:01 pm

Is it the case that the break-up of the band caused Brian to play the guitar at that moment, and that is how it indirectly caused his death?
Or does the break-up have a direct effect on the socket and why it electrocuted him?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Is it the case that the break-up of the band caused Brian to play the guitar at that moment, and that is how it indirectly caused his death? DOYD of "at that moment" - have to give it a Yope
Or does the break-up have a direct effect on the socket and why it electrocuted him? No
Balin

Postby Balin » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:53 pm

HINT: Pay attention to one key detail of the puzzle statement.
Balin

Postby trebor » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:42 pm

Wait. The breakup of the band took place at T & C's place, and Brian died at his place. Is the thing he did that he wouldn't normally do simply 'play guitar at his own house'? Was this socket not equipped to handle the power? (Maybe he forgot to use a surge protector, or something was already faulty with the socket that had gone unnoticed because he wasn't using the socket until now?)
trebor

Postby Balin » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:12 pm

Wait. The breakup of the band took place at T & C's place, and Brian died at his place. Is the thing he did that he wouldn't normally do simply 'play guitar at his own house'? Got it! Was this socket not equipped to handle the power? Yes! (Maybe he forgot to use a surge protector, or something was already faulty with the socket that had gone unnoticed because he wasn't using the socket until now?) The latter

****SPOILER****

Brian was the guitarist in a band with Tony and Caroline, and always practiced at their home. But after they broke up the band, Brian plugged in his guitar at his own home to practice, somewhere he never played. The socket was faulty, and Brian was electrocuted.

Well-solved.
Balin

Re: [Balin] I feel so broke up (*I WANNA GO HOME*)

Postby trebor » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:51 pm

Definitely wouldn't have gotten it without the hint to check the puzzle statement again. Anyway, this puzzle really struck a chord with me. Sorry we ended up stringing it out a bit.
trebor

Postby Earnest » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:30 am

Gosh did not notice it! Well solved!
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:16 pm

Nice one trebor, I note that you were really in tune with the answer. I better scale back so I can solve some of my own ac-chord.

I'll leave now.
irishelk

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles