[klondike mary] yu might as well laugh

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[klondike mary] yu might as well laugh

Postby klondike mary » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:28 pm

not covid-19 related, at least not directly

After the procedure, Marty had a number of problems, but none he could not work around. He also had one signal advantage, which was his ability to ______________.
klondike mary

Re: [klondike mary] yu might as well laugh

Postby trebor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:37 am

Sorry, but what do you mean by "signal advantage"? An advantage in signalling something? Or a single advantage? (I hope that's not offensive in regards to being pedantic.)

Was Marty the one on whom the procedure was done? Was he the one who did the procedure on someone else? Was the procedure a medical one? Was it a surgery? If yes, a cosmetic one?

Was someone's sense of touch/sight/hearing/smell/taste restored?

Is it relevant what Marty's job was? Was he a criminal?
trebor

Postby Earnest » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:21 pm

Marty = he? "signal advantage" = he is signaled/immediately noticed? Or he signals to someone else something?

Procedure = medical procedure? Did the procedure take more than an hour? Days? Minutes? Seconds? Vaccination? Did he undergo the procedure because he had a clinical condition? Can anyone undergo the procedure? Would anyone feel as Marty felt after the procedure?

Marty had a number of problems--> financial problems? Physical problems? restrictions? Problems due to the procedure? That he did not have before the procedure? That occurred due to the procedure? Did he voluntarily undergo the procedure? is the latter a FA?

He also had one signal advantage, which was his ability to --> is it a physical advantage? an advantage that could be perceived by other people? Is quarantine relevant? Is this an advantage relative to Marty but not relative to other persons? E.g. Marty had a deficit which was bridged with the procedure and now he considers an advantage something that other people normally have? Or viceversa, Martin had a disadvantage which translates into an advantage after the procedure? (normally I complain for the fact that I have a job that can be done from home for the many distractions. After quarantine, instead I am one of the few lucky people who can still work)
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:35 pm

Sorry, but what do you mean by "signal advantage"? An advantage in signalling something? Yes! Or a single advantage? (I hope that's not offensive in regards to being pedantic.) ;-)

Was Marty the one on whom the procedure was done? Yes.Was he the one who did the procedure on someone else? Was the procedure a medical one? Was it a surgery? Yes to both. If yes, a cosmetic one? No

Was someone's sense of touch/sight/hearing/smell/taste restored? No, not restored. Explore.

Is it relevant what Marty's job was? Yessish.Was he a criminal? NHo.

Don't know how I managed to post this twice. Can a mod delete the other one, please?
trebor
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:53 pm

Marty = he? yes "signal advantage" = he is signaled/immediately noticed? Or he signals to someone else something? He has the ability to signal to someone else, yes.

Procedure = medical procedure? yes Did the procedure take more than an hour? Days? Minutes? Seconds? In the region of minutes to hours. Vaccination? no Did he undergo the procedure because he had a clinical condition? yessish Can anyone undergo the procedure? If you mean, can anyone ask to have this procedure, no. Not something you would do voluntarily. Would anyone feel as Marty felt after the procedure? IDK. A person's reaction, I think, would be subjective.

Marty had a number of problems--> financial problems? Physical problems? yes.restrictions?yes. Problems due to the procedure? That he did not have before the procedure? yes, he did not.That occurred due to the procedure? Did he voluntarily undergo the procedure?Yes, in view of the alternative. is the latter a FA? You think there might be a FA in one of my puzzles? Really?

He also had one signal advantage, which was his ability to --> is it a physical advantage? yessish, though not much of one. an advantage that could be perceived by other people?yes Is quarantine relevant? no.Is this an advantage relative to Marty but not relative to other persons? Other people who have had this operation could do this also. E.g. Marty had a deficit which was bridged with the procedure and now he considers an advantage something that other people normally have? Or viceversa, Martin had a disadvantage which translates into an advantage after the procedure? He did not have a deficit (something lacking) before the procedure. He now has a 'deficit' that might be an advantage, but a very small one.(normally I complain for the fact that I have a job that can be done from home for the many distractions. After quarantine, instead I am one of the few lucky people who can still work) Marty's situation is sort of similar, but it is peculiar to him, and not something many are undergoing.
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:14 pm

is the latter a FA? You think there might be a FA in one of my puzzles? Really? --> uh...I was thinking that maybe the procedure was not directed to him, so by saying that he underwent the procedure I was making a FA.

Is Marty happy after the procedure? Can we say that he is happy for the advantages that he has more than sad for the problems caused by the procedure? Are the advantages: long lasting? (in contrast he may have a temporary advantage due to the recovery from the procedure); financial (e.g. he is treated as handicapped person and has dedicated place to sit on bus)? Did he pay to undergo the procedure? Color blindness relevant?

Was the procedure a medical one? Was it a surgery? Yes to both. --> did the procedure involve: smell? eyes? nose? hair? mouth? arms? legs? an internal organ? a visible body part? bones?Something not visible? (e.g. he suffered from hyperthyreos and once cured he could eat a lot of food again)

signaling ability: did he have a pacemaker? Is electrical signal relevant? Is the signal captured by someone? perceived by someone? By someone having certain tools? metal detector relevant? Airport security?

After the procedure, could Marty: make sport? run? drive? see a twilight? eat whatever he wants? read package inserts? Have a dog? making tattoos? make every type of medical test (also the ones involving radiations)
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:43 am

is the latter a FA? You think there might be a FA in one of my puzzles? Really? --> uh...I was thinking that maybe the procedure was not directed to him, so by saying that he underwent the procedure I was making a FA. It was directed to him.

Is Marty happy after the procedure? Considering the alternative, yes. Can we say that he is happy for the advantages that he has more than sad for the problems caused by the procedure? It is possible that he considers the small advantage is outweighed by the disadvantages.Are the advantages: long lasting? (in contrast he may have a temporary advantage due to the recovery from the procedure); Both the advantage and disadvantages are permanent.. financial (e.g. he is treated as handicapped person and has dedicated place to sit on bus)? n.r. He is self-employed, BTW.Did he pay to undergo the procedure? He did, or his insurance. N.R. Color blindness relevant? n.r.

Was the procedure a medical one? Was it a surgery? Yes to both. --> did the procedure involve: smell? eyes? nose? hair? mouth? arms? No, but explore. All other body parts, no.legs? an internal organ? No.a visible body part? Yes. bones? A bone is involved.Something not visible? (e.g. he suffered from hyperthyreos and once cured he could eat a lot of food again)

signaling ability: did he have a pacemaker? Is electrical signal relevant? No to both. Is the signal captured by someone? perceived by someone? It can be seen. By someone having certain tools? metal detector relevant? No tools relevant.Airport security? No.

After the procedure, could Marty: make sport? Depends on the sport. run? drive? Yes to both. He could do everything he had done before, except in a particular area. see a twilight? eat whatever he wants? read package inserts? Have a dog? making tattoos? make every type of medical test (also the ones involving radiations) He could do all of these that he wanted to do. Note: his 'advantage' grew out of his 'disadvantage.'

klondike mary

Postby trebor » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:57 pm

So, none of his senses were restored. Were any of them taken away? Or his ability to use one of his senses hindered by the removal of something?

WAG: Did he have his middle finger removed, and now finds it difficult to give people the finger?

Assuming not that, was something removed from his body? Something straightened? Fused? Was the operation on his wrist(s)? Hand(s)? Yesish to his profession being relevant: did he have a relevant hobby? Was he a musician? Writer? Uh, referee/ump/race-caller?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:42 am

So, none of his senses were restored. Were any of them taken away? Or his ability to use one of his senses hindered by the removal of something? Yope/yessish

WAG: Did he have his middle finger removed, and now finds it difficult to give people the finger? No, but you are very, very, VERY close!

Assuming not that, was something removed from his body?Yes. Something straightened? Fused? Was the operation on his wrist(s)? Hand(s)? This.Yesish to his profession being relevant: did he have a relevant hobby? No.Was he a musician? Writer? Uh, referee/ump/race-caller? No to all.
trebor
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:15 pm

Did he have just one finger removed? Two? Three? Four (counting the thumb as a finger)? All five? Did he have all fingers but his pointer finger removed, so pointing became much easier?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:22 am

Did he have just one finger removed? Two? Three? Four (counting the thumb as a finger)? All five? Did he have all fingers but his pointer finger removed, so pointing became much easier? Just part of one finger - which one is relevant.
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:37 am

Part of his middle finger? So that it would look like he wasn’t giving someone the finger when he in fact was?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:39 pm

Part of his middle finger? So that it would look like he wasn’t giving someone the finger when he in fact was? No. Wrong finger. Besides, Marty is a gentleman and wouldn't do that!
trebor

klondike mary

Postby trebor » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:21 pm

Ring finger? Pointer finger? Pinky finger? Thumb? Is wearing a wedding/engagement ring relevant?

Heh heh heh. Is he playing around with his young grandkids and can pretend that he's picking his nose?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:52 pm

Ring finger? Pointer finger? Pinky finger? Thumb? This one.Is wearing a wedding/engagement ring relevant? n.r.

Heh heh heh. Is he playing around with his young grandkids and can pretend that he's picking his nose? No. I said he was a gentleman.
klondike mary

Postby gregoryuconn » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:15 pm

Hitchhiking relevant? Other thumb signals?
gregoryuconn

Postby klondike mary » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:28 am

Hitchhiking relevant? Noooo...Other thumb signals? YES!
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:37 am

other signals: OK? All right? cool? Well-done? He could make the trick of the thumb much more realistic? Counting relevant? Maybe he could signal also decimals no? Like if he missed half of the thumb he could signal 2.5 (i.e. two with middle finger and forefinger and half with the thumb) Writing a heart with fingers relevant? Playing with the thumbs relevant? (e.g. the game in which you have to submit the thumb of the opponent...don't know the name)? Painting with fingers? Does the signal involve the thumb up? thumb down? thumb in a relevant position?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:18 pm

other signals: OK? All right? cool? Well-done? Yes to these.He could make the trick of the thumb much more realistic? Counting relevant? Maybe he could signal also decimals no? Like if he missed half of the thumb he could signal 2.5Very much OTRT.(i.e. two with middle finger and forefinger and half with the thumb) Writing a heart with fingers relevant? Playing with the thumbs relevant? (e.g. the game in which you have to submit the thumb of the opponent...don't know the name)? Painting with fingers? Does the signal involve the thumb up? This.thumb down? thumb in a relevant position? All not answered no or n.r.
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:07 am

Like if he missed half of the thumb he could signal 2.5Very much OTRT --> so is it a form of counting? music relevant? are measurements relevant? inches?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:09 am

*******SPOILER*******
We are circling all around the answer, so I am going to call this spoyled.
Due to an infection Marty had the first joint of his left thumb amputated. This was a disadvantage, as he works with electronics, but also an advantage, as he can now rate products with half a thumbs up!
klondike mary

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles