[IrishElk] That's Right, I Named It After Me! {SCAMMED}

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IrishElk] That's Right, I Named It After Me! {SCAMMED}

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:59 am

Jan (H/A/M) and Laci (H/A/F) are close friends, but also rivals. Laci owns something that makes her sad. Jan offers her $10,000 for it, although he has something similar and does not want this one.
Last edited by irishelk on Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] That's Right, I Named It After Me!

Postby Doriana » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:00 pm

Sports relevant? Politics? Entertainment? Business?

If Jan gave Laci $ 10,000, would she give him whatever "it" is? Do something with it? Would Jan keep it? Resell it? Use it in a relevant way? Does Jan think getting it from Laci would give him an advantage in their rivalry?

Is it a tangible object? a trophy? Does it make Laci sad because it reminds her of something? Is it related to their rivalry?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:13 pm

Is the offer genuine? does Laci take him up on it? Relevant? Does it make Laci sad that: it exists? She owns it? Somebody else doesn't own it? Does it remind her of something sad? Would other people be sad for owning it? Is it something she bought? Made? Was given? Was forced to take? Was born with? Medical issues relevant?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:52 pm

Is "it" something Laci inherited? Did John inherit a similar thing? Is it a living thing? A debt? Is John's offer made in jest? Out of selfishness? A desire for mutual benefit? Altruism?

Are their professions relevant? Aside from being friends, are John and Laci blood-related?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:33 pm

Doriana

Sports relevant? Politics? Entertainment? This for SVV. Business? Business of a sort, vaguely.

If Jan gave Laci $ 10,000, would she give him whatever "it" is? Yes. Do something with it? No. Would Jan keep it? Resell it? No. Use it in a relevant way? Yes. Does Jan think getting it from Laci would give him an advantage in their rivalry? No.

Is it a tangible object? Yes. a trophy? No. Does it make Laci sad because it reminds her of something? Not exactly. Is it related to their rivalry? Yes.

GalFisk

Is the offer genuine? Yes. does Laci take him up on it? Let's say yes. Relevant? No. Does it make Laci sad that: it exists? She owns it? Somebody else doesn't own it? Does it remind her of something sad? These are hard to answer; a specific aspect or quality of it, combined with her ownership of it, makes her sad.
Would other people be sad for owning it? Yes. Is it something she bought? Made? Was given? Was forced to take? Was born with? Could have bought or been given, no to rest.
Medical issues relevant? Noish.

trebor

Is "it" something Laci inherited? Not relevantly. Did John inherit a similar thing? He has a similar thing, irr whether it's inherited. Is it a living thing? Yes! A debt? No.
Is John's offer made in jest? No. Out of selfishness? Yes. A desire for mutual benefit? And yes... Altruism? I wouldn't go that far.

Are their professions relevant? Yesish--could be a profession or hobby. Aside from being friends, are John and Laci blood-related? Irr.
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:02 pm

Is it a horse? a dog? a cat? Another animal? a plant?

Horseback riding relevant? Horse breeding? Dog shows? Dog breeding? Cat shows? Cat breeding?
Doriana

Postby hominid » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:38 am

Is the living thing's name relevant? Is it named after Laci? Jan?
hominid

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:55 pm

Doriana

Is it a horse? a dog? a cat? Yes.cAnother animal? a plant?

Horseback riding relevant? Horse breeding? Dog shows? Dog breeding? Cat shows? Yes! That was quick. Cat breeding?

hominid

Is the living thing's name relevant? Is it named after Laci? Jan? No to all.
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:01 am

Is the cat one that has been in shows? Does it make Laci sad because it has never won?

Is the cat worth $10,000? I.e. could Laci sell it to another cat owner for that price if she wanted to?

If Jan bought the cat, would he enter it in shows?

Does Laci have more than one show cat? Does Jan? relevant?
Doriana

Postby trebor » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:12 pm

Is the cat sick? Is Laci having difficulty keeping up with costs?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:13 pm

Doriana

Is the cat one that has been in shows? Yes. Does it make Laci sad because it has never won? No.

Is the cat worth $10,000? Noish... I.e. could Laci sell it to another cat owner for that price if she wanted to? No.

If Jan bought the cat, would he enter it in shows? No.

Does Laci have more than one show cat? Does Jan? relevant? Not really relevant, but assume neither does for simplicity.

trebor

Is the cat sick? No, OTRT. Is Laci having difficulty keeping up with costs? No.
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:27 pm

Is the cat male? female? spayed/neutered? unaltered? pregnant? If the latter, does Jan want the kittens?
Doriana

Postby trebor » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:54 pm

Is the cat dead? Perhaps it has been taxidermied? Or Jan would taxidermy it? If he has a collection or something?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 am

Doriana

Is the cat male? female? spayed/neutered? unaltered? Irr to all. pregnant? If the latter, does Jan want the kittens? No.

trebor

Is the cat dead? Yes! Perhaps it has been taxidermied? No. Or Jan would taxidermy it? If he has a collection or something? No, good thought.
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:57 am

Is Laci sad because the cat is dead? because it can't be in shows any more? because it can't win anymore? Has the cat relevantly won shows when it was still alive?

Does Jan think Laci will use the money to buy a new show cat?

Relevant how the cat died? Was Jan responsible for its death?

Does Jan want to do anything relevant with the dead cat? If so, bury it? cremate it? turn its ashes into a diamond? Does he want the dead cat so that he can claim to be owner of The Famous Mr Mittens, 10x Fancy Cat Show Finalist?
Doriana

Postby irishelk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:09 pm

Doriana

Is Laci sad because the cat is dead? Yes. because it can't be in shows any more? because it can't win anymore? Has the cat relevantly won shows when it was still alive? Assume yes,

Does Jan think Laci will use the money to buy a new show cat? Irr.

Relevant how the cat died? No. Was Jan responsible for its death? No.

Does Jan want to do anything relevant with the dead cat? Yes. If so, bury it? No. cremate it? In a sense! turn its ashes into a diamond? No. Does he want the dead cat so that he can claim to be owner of The Famous Mr Mittens, 10x Fancy Cat Show Finalist? Not exactly, but sort of...
irishelk

Postby biograd » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:14 am

I assume he doesn't want to make a flying cat, right :-)?
Would any dead cat do? Any dead animal of a certain size?
biograd

Postby irishelk » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:48 pm

biograd

I assume he doesn't want to make a flying cat, right :-)? Ohhh, I remember that cursed thing! Thankfully no.
Would any dead cat do? Possibly, but hers is best. Any dead animal of a certain size? No.
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:26 pm

Is hers best because Jan and Laci are friends? because hers has been in shows? because it has won shows?
Do Jan's and Laci's cats relevantly look alike? Are they (the cats, not J and L) related?

You said Jan wants to cremate the dead cat "in a sense". Is he planning to burn the body? parts of the body? If so, in a cremator? in a fireplace? in a campfire?
Doriana

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:59 pm

Doriana

Is hers best because Jan and Laci are friends? because hers has been in shows? because it has won shows?
Do Jan's and Laci's cats relevantly look alike? This. Are they (the cats, not J and L) related? No to rest.

You said Jan wants to cremate the dead cat "in a sense". Is he planning to burn the body? Yes. parts of the body? If so, in a cremator? in a fireplace? in a campfire? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:26 pm

Is there some kind of insurance scam going on?
Doriana

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:37 pm

Doriana

Is there some kind of insurance scam going on? Yes!
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Is Jan's cat insured for more than $10,000? Does he want to claim that his cat died in a fire, present Laci's dead-and-burned cat as evidence, and collect insurance money?
Doriana

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:11 pm

Doriana

Is Jan's cat insured for more than $10,000? Does he want to claim that his cat died in a fire, present Laci's dead-and-burned cat as evidence, and collect insurance money? You got it! Nice leap.

****************************************SPOILER

Jan and Laci are both cat breeders with the two top cats in the world of a particular breed. Unfortunately, Laci’s prize cat dies unexpectedly, and she is heartbroken. Meanwhile, Jan is strapped for cash and decides to burn down his house for the significant insurance money. The thing he has insured most is, of course, his world champion cat, but he cannot bear to kill it for money. So he makes a deal with Laci—she lets him place her late lamented feline’s body in the fire, so that he can act as the bereaved cat-dad and collect his millions. In return, not only will he give her $10,000 cash, but she can pretend his cat is hers until the heat dies down, so her lap needn’t be empty.

And they would have gotten away with it too, if it weren’t for you meddlesome kids!

Very loosely based on a story from the podcast Scam Goddess, which I highly recommend for hilarious, convoluted, largely non-lethal schemings.
irishelk

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles