[IrishElk]I See You've Played Knifey-Spoony Before {CHOPPED}

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IrishElk]I See You've Played Knifey-Spoony Before {CHOPPED}

Postby irishelk » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:24 pm

Ross wins a small prize in a pub raffle. Soon after, he loses thousands of dollars. Why?

Based on a true story from early 2000s, caveat earlispoiler. =)
Last edited by irishelk on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] I See You've Played Knifey-Spoony Before

Postby gregoryuconn » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Was he prohibited from entering the contest and got in trouble? Because he was underage? Because his employer prohibited entering games of chance using a company business card? (My company had that policy until recently but I don’t know if pubs do their drawings that way or Just more business friendly places.) because he was legally prohibited from entering pubs? Perhaps as punishment for some crime? Or maybe he was just prohibited by his job? Such as an alcohol abuse counselor?
gregoryuconn

Postby Doriana » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:56 pm

Is the prize a cash prize? a tangible object? a gift card? a voucher?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:26 am

Does he lose the money to a bet? A scam? A fine? Theft? Fire? Debt?
Soon: within seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?
Would he have lost the money if he hadn't won the prize? Does he win first prize? Relevant? Is he involved in the raffle, apart from entering it?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:38 am

gregoryuconn

Was he prohibited from entering the contest and got in trouble? No. Because he was underage? Because his employer prohibited entering games of chance using a company business card? (My company had that policy until recently but I don’t know if pubs do their drawings that way or Just more business friendly places.) because he was legally prohibited from entering pubs? Perhaps as punishment for some crime? Or maybe he was just prohibited by his job? Such as an alcohol abuse counselor? No to all.

Doriana

Is the prize a cash prize? a tangible object? This, small ish. a gift card? a voucher?

GalFisk

Does he lose the money to a bet? A scam? A fine? This is closest, but not exactly. Theft? Fire? Debt?
Soon: within seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days? Weeks? Likely this. Months? Years?
Would he have lost the money if he hadn't won the prize? No. Does he win first prize? Relevant? Irr. Is he involved in the raffle, apart from entering it? No.
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:51 am

small ish to tangible object: Is it more than one object?

Does he keep the prize? sell it? give it away? lose it?

Taxes relevant?
Doriana

Postby irishelk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:57 am

Doriana

small ish to tangible object: Is it more than one object? Yes.

Does he keep the prize? For some time at least, then its fate is irrelevant. sell it? give it away? lose it?

Taxes relevant? No.
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:03 pm

Does he use the objects in a relevant way? If so, in a way that's illegal?

Are the objects parts of a larger set (such as a deck of cards)?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:06 pm

Does he lose the money to: a person? A company? A government entity? A state? Destruction? Devaluation? Did his winning relevantly prove that he was in the pub at the time? Did a court decide that he should lose this money?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:34 am

Are the objects living things? Are they items that normally go together? Are they related to sports? To food/drink? Are they tickets to something? Gift cards? Vouchers for a service? Household items?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:19 pm

Doriana

Does he use the objects in a relevant way? Yes. If so, in a way that's illegal? It's...not against any laws, but maybe explore.

Are the objects parts of a larger set (such as a deck of cards)? Probably, but irr.

GalFisk

Does he lose the money to: a person? Yes. A company? A government entity? A state? Destruction? Devaluation? No to rest. Did his winning relevantly prove that he was in the pub at the time? No. Did a court decide that he should lose this money? Yes.

trebor

Are the objects living things? Not anymore! Are they items that normally go together? You could say that. Are they related to sports? No. To food/drink? Yes. Are they tickets to something? Gift cards? Vouchers for a service? Household items? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby AlbatrossLover » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:31 pm

Are the objects food? Meat? Relevant what kind of meat if so? A taxidermied animal?

Was he sued by someone? Someone who was at the pub? Who he tried to sell the prize to?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:39 am

Does he use it in a way that's misleading? Demeaning? Dangerous? Is the person he loses the money to at the pub when he wins? Or soon after? If so, does this person enter the raffle? Win something? Run the raffle? Work at the pub? Own it?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:32 pm

Does this involve illegally hunting/killing something? Are the things alive when he wins them?

Does he have some medical issue related to the prize?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:52 pm

AlbatrossLover

Are the objects food? Yes. Meat? Yes! Relevant what kind of meat if so? Not really--it was pork chops. A taxidermied animal?

Was he sued by someone? Yes. Someone who was at the pub? Yes. Who he tried to sell the prize to? No.

GalFisk

Does he use it in a way that's misleading? Demeaning? Dangerous? This.
Is the person he loses the money to at the pub when he wins? Probably but irr. Or soon after? Yes. If so, does this person enter the raffle? Win something? Run the raffle? Work at the pub? Own it? Irr to rest.

trebor

Does this involve illegally hunting/killing something? No. Are the things alive when he wins them? No.

Does he have some medical issue related to the prize? Ross? No.
irishelk

Postby AlbatrossLover » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:54 pm

Did the person who sued him eat the pork chops? Did they have a relevant medical issue? A dietary restriction? Did he not tell them what kind of meat it was?
AlbatrossLover

Postby trebor » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:58 pm

Sorry, I forgot Ross had a name.

Is Ross' profession relevant? If so, is he a cook?

Does the person who sues Ross get injured? Does the incident that leads to this person suing Ross happen the same night as the raffle? At the pub? Is he hit with the pork chops? Does he choke on them? Slip on them? Are they already cooked when Ross wins them? Being kosher/vegetarian relevant?

Is there a relevant relationship between Ross and this person? If so, are they romantically linked? Blood related? Friends? Co-workers?
trebor

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:28 am

Does he do something unhygienic? Disgusting? Deceptive? Demeaning? Does he cause illness? Injury? Danger?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:01 am

Does Ross pass the meat off as something else? meat from a different animal?
Doriana

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:04 pm

AlbatrossLover

Did the person who sued him eat the pork chops? No.
Did they have a relevant medical issue? A dietary restriction? No.
Did he not tell them what kind of meat it was? He didn't, but irr.

trebor

Is Ross' profession relevant? No. If so, is he a cook?

Does the person who sues Ross get injured? Yes. Does the incident that leads to this person suing Ross happen the same night as the raffle? Yes. At the pub? Yes. Is he hit with the pork chops? No. Does he choke on them? No. Slip on them? Not exactly, but very close! Are they already cooked when Ross wins them? I don't think so. Being kosher/vegetarian relevant? No.

Is there a relevant relationship between Ross and this person? No. If so, are they romantically linked? Blood related? Friends? Co-workers?

GalFisk

Does he do something unhygienic? Absolutely. Disgusting? I'd say so, a bit. Deceptive? Demeaning? No.
Does he cause illness? No. Injury? Yes. Danger? Yes.

Doriana

Does Ross pass the meat off as something else? In a very vague sense, yesish. meat from a different animal? No.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:41 pm

Does the person trip on the pork chops? Attempt to wear them like shoes?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:06 pm

trebor

Does the person trip on the pork chops? No, close. Attempt to wear them like shoes? :mrgreen: Which person?
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:52 pm

Did Ross wear them as shoes? Step on them? Does the person suing step on them? Did Ross want the person suing to eat them? Is the pub suing?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:20 pm

GalFisk

Did Ross wear them as shoes? Yes! Step on them? So yes. Does the person suing step on them? No. Did Ross want the person suing to eat them? No. Is the pub suing? No.
irishelk

Postby biograd » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:26 pm

Was the prize for "eating his shoes"? and he wore pork chops as shoes, so technically he did it? whereas the other guy who sued tried to duplicate it by eating *actual* shoes? and was injured as a result?

Even if this is not the answer, did Ross perform some stunt, and the guy who sued tried to replicate it and injured himself in the process?
biograd

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:36 pm

biograd

Was the prize for "eating his shoes"? and he wore pork chops as shoes, so technically he did it? whereas the other guy who sued tried to duplicate it by eating *actual* shoes? and was injured as a result? No, but great guess!

Even if this is not the answer, did Ross perform some stunt, Only in that he wore pork chops as shoes. and the guy who sued tried to replicate it and injured himself in the process? No.
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:40 pm

Does the person slip on a liquid that was left behind on the floor from the pork chop shoes?
Doriana

Postby irishelk » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:03 am

Doriana

Does the person slip on a liquid that was left behind on the floor from the pork chop shoes? They sure do.

****************************3rd SPOILER of the day for Doriana, I believe? Woo!********

Apparently, in a Sydney pub a man won a meat raffle, and was celebrating when the bartender noticed he was barefoot, and told him he'd have to put on shoes or leave. He had the genius idea to tie two pork chops to his feet, and continue his revelry. An unsuspecting patron slipped on the various meat juices that he trailed along the floor, broke something, and sued.

My only deviation was that IRL, I believe that only the pub was successfully sued, not the meat-footed individual.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk]I See You've Played Knifey-Spoony Before {CHOP

Postby biograd » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:48 pm

Oh, I had the FA that the prize was for winning some kind of bet, and that the wearing of the pork-chop shoes was a clever way to win it, even if completely unlike the intended way. It seems that instead the requirements of winning the contest itself is irrelevant here, only what the winner did afterwards.
biograd

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles