[trebor] I Think I Can Make It

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[trebor] I Think I Can Make It

Postby trebor » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:54 am

If it hadn't been for the circles, she wouldn't have been terrified.
trebor

Re: I Think I Can Make It

Postby WiZ » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:57 am

She = HAF? Do the circles represent a threat to her? To others?

Are the circles drawn or depicted? Are they a tangible object with a circular shape? Are they alive? Did they appear naturally? Were they created? If so, does their creator represent a threat to her?

Is she performing an action or undergoing some trial that can be terrifying or not, depending on the circumstances? Do circles normally represent danger in this context? Would one often, or even sometimes, expect to see circles?

Is this the finals of the world Noughts-and-Crosses championship, and she realises there are three Noughts in the corner, each with an unanswered third slot in their row?
WiZ

Postby trebor » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:00 am

She = HAF? Yes. Do the circles represent a threat to her? No. To others? No to yesish.

Are the circles drawn or depicted? Are they a tangible object with a circular shape? Are they alive? Did they appear naturally? Were they created? Yes.If so, does their creator represent a threat to her? No to the rest.

Is she performing an action or undergoing some trial that can be terrifying or not, depending on the circumstances? No. Do circles normally represent danger in this context? No.Would one often, or even sometimes, expect to see circles? Sometimes would be closest.

Is this the finals of the world Noughts-and-Crosses championship, and she realises there are three Noughts in the corner, each with an unanswered third slot in their row? No, but clever.
trebor

Postby Earnest » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:44 am

Were they created? Yes. --> created with smoke? with pen and paper? Provoked (e.g. as in water. For instance, she was in a river and suddenly saw circles in the water announcing the arrival of some big animal)? created by humans? By a natural process (e.g. circles in rocks)? Circles of the wood when cut? Did circles appear on a screen? Are circles: dots? empty circles? Are circles wheels? circles on glass relevant? Robberies?
Circles = spot on the skin? Are diseases relevant? Circles = keyboard relevant? (e.g. "o" or "O" or "0" ?) Emoticons? Written messages? Circles as the number 0? If sos, did she expect more 0s? Less?
Is she a student? If so, is she trying to pass an exam but noticed a problem with circles and got anxious?

Could circles be substituted with other shapes? E.g. musical notes
Had it been one circle, would she be terrified ass well? Terrified = concerned? anxious?

WAG: is she a musician playing in an orchestra? Maybe she noticed a spot of ink on the staff and did not know if it wad a semibreve or not.
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:28 am

Are they bigger than a breadbox? Occultism relevant? Terrified for her safety? Life? Fate? Did she make the circles? Were they made for her protection? Were they drawn? Forged? Printed? Displayed? Could they be called rings? Hoops? Links?
WAG: was a wild animal chained, and the chain links were the rings in question?
GalFisk

Re: [trebor] I Think I Can Make It

Postby trebor » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:23 pm

Were they created? Yes. --> created with smoke? with pen and paper? No to these. Provoked (e.g. as in water. For instance, she was in a river and suddenly saw circles in the water announcing the arrival of some big animal)? Provoked isn’t the word I’d use, but OTRT. No to the water idea, though.created by humans? Yes, tiny ish.By a natural process (e.g. circles in rocks)? Circles of the wood when cut? Did circles appear on a screen? Are circles: dots? empty circles? This. Are circles wheels? Wheels are relevant. circles on glass relevant? Robberies?
Circles = spot on the skin? Are diseases relevant? Circles = keyboard relevant? (e.g. "o" or "O" or "0" ?) Emoticons? Written messages? Circles as the number 0? If sos, did she expect more 0s? Less?
Is she a student? If so, is she trying to pass an exam but noticed a problem with circles and got anxious? No to the rest.

Could circles be substituted with other shapes? E.g. musical notes No.
Had it been one circle, would she be terrified ass well? Terrified = concerned? anxious? No.

WAG: is she a musician playing in an orchestra? Maybe she noticed a spot of ink on the staff and did not know if it wad a semibreve or not. No, but I now assume you’re a musician!

GalFisk

Are they bigger than a breadbox? Yes. Occultism relevant? Terrified for her safety? Life? Fate? Did she make the circles? Were they made for her protection? Were they drawn? Forged? Printed? Displayed? Could they be called rings? Hoops? Links? No to all.
WAG: was a wild animal chained, and the chain links were the rings in question? No.
trebor

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:26 pm

Can the circles be seen by everyone? Only by some? Those in a certain area? Those with certain visibility aids? Those who know what to look for?
Are the circles stationary? Static? Moving? Dynamic?
Are the circles present on a horizontal plane? Vertical plane? Diagonal? Other?
CoffeeBean

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:15 pm

Are the rings solid? Liquid? Gaseous? Particulate? Do they signify something good? Bad? Did she make them? Are they all the same size?
Last edited by GalFisk on Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
GalFisk

Postby AlbatrossLover » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:05 am

Are the circles tire marks? Otherwise left behind by a vehicle?
AlbatrossLover

Postby trebor » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:22 am

Can the circles be seen by everyone? Only by some? Those in a certain area? Those with certain visibility aids? Those who know what to look for?
Are the circles stationary? Static? Moving? Dynamic?
Are the circles present on a horizontal plane? Vertical plane? Diagonal? Other? See below.

Are the rings solid? Liquid? Gaseous? Particulate? See below. Do they signify something good? Bad? Neither, in and of themselves.Did she make them? No. Are they all the same size? Not precisely, but roughly.

Are the circles tire marks? Otherwise left behind by a vehicle? The circles are created by vehicle tires, but there are no actual rubber marks left on the ground.
trebor

Postby AlbatrossLover » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:43 am

Are they marks left behind in dirt? Sand? Snow? Fresh paint? Cement? Asphalt?

Were they intentionally left behind? Meant to scare her?

Were they made by more than one vehicle? By a bike? Motorcycle? Car?

Did she know who had made the circles? Was there any indication of the vehicle(s) being or going anywhere else?
AlbatrossLover

Postby trebor » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:01 pm

Are they marks left behind in dirt? Sand? Snow? Fresh paint? Cement? Asphalt? This, but there is an underlying FA.

Were they intentionally left behind? Same FA. The circles were intentionally made, though. Meant to scare her? No.

Were they made by more than one vehicle? No. By a bike? Yes.Motorcycle? Car?

Did she know who had made the circles? Yes. Was there any indication of the vehicle(s) being or going anywhere else? No.
trebor

Postby AlbatrossLover » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:50 pm

So the circles weren't 'left behind'? Was the person who made them still around? Were they made by the subject of the puzzle?
AlbatrossLover

Postby trebor » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:21 pm

So the circles weren't 'left behind'? Correct! Was the person who made them still around? Yes!Were they made by the subject of the puzzle?No.
trebor

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:47 am

Was she terrified of the person who made the circles? The vehicle that made the circles? The noise of making the circles? Were they made on a road? In a parking lot? On purpose? Is the maker in danger? Is someone else?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:52 am

Was she terrified of the person who made the circles? Noish.The vehicle that made the circles? The noise of making the circles? No to both.Were they made on a road? Yes.In a parking lot? On purpose? Yes. Is the maker in danger? Yope. Explore.Is someone else? No.
trebor

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:26 am

Does she think the maker is in danger? Does the maker think so? Is she the maker? Is the maker HAM? Does she think the circles indicate danger? Such as a slippery surface? Was the maker a danger to others? Does she think so? Does she see the circles while driving? Walking? Being a passenger? Flying? Did the maker do sonething unlawful? Does she know the maker? Were th circles made by a car? Motorcycle? Gokart? Trike? Bicycle? Modified vehicle? By hand?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:46 pm

Does she think the maker is in danger? Does the maker think so? Same yope as above. Or maybe, DOYD of "in danger". There may be somewhat of an FA in the way these "danger" questions are phrased. Is she the maker? No. Is the maker HAM? HCM. Does she think the circles indicate danger? Such as a slippery surface? Was the maker a danger to others? Does she think so? No to all. Does she see the circles while driving? Walking? Being a passenger? Flying? No to all. Did the maker do sonething unlawful? No.Does she know the maker? Yes. Were th circles made by a car? Motorcycle? Gokart? Trike? Bicycle? This.Modified vehicle? By hand?
trebor

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:46 am

Does she like the maker? Is it her child? Is danger relevant at all? Risk? Trouble? Is she terrified of a situation? Person? Consequence? Hypothetical scenario? Irrational cause? Such as a phobia? Something in the past? Present? Future? Did she know the kid made the circles? Did she see him do it? Did he make them by riding the bicycle?
GalFisk

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:06 pm

The circles are being made by bicycle tires? So does this mean that the tires of the bike are leaving circular tracks? As if the tires have some liquid or other soft substance on them that causes them to leave marks behind? Like if a person rides a bike through a puddle of water, the tires will leave a water trail behind them for some distance?

Had the person riding the bike ridden it through a puddle? Some other area where liquid was on the road or other surface where the bike was being used?
CoffeeBean

Postby trebor » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:43 pm

Galfisk

Does she like the maker? Yes. Is it her child? Yes. Is danger relevant at all? Risk? Danger/risk, but there is something else may be the best way to put it, DOYD.Trouble? Is she terrified of a situation? Yesish. Person? Noish.Consequence? Hypothetical scenario? Irrational cause? Such as a phobia? Something in the past? Very, very, very recent this. Present? And this.Future? Did she know the kid made the circles? At what point?Did she see him do it? No. Did he make them by riding the bicycle? Yes.

CoffeeBean

The circles are being made by bicycle tires? Yes. So does this mean that the tires of the bike are leaving circular tracks? No. But...As if the tires have some liquid or other soft substance on them that causes them to leave marks behind? Like if a person rides a bike through a puddle of water, the tires will leave a water trail behind them for some distance?

Had the person riding the bike ridden it through a puddle? Some other area where liquid was on the road or other surface where the bike was being used? No to all.

Just a reminder: So the circles weren't 'left behind'? Correct!
trebor

Postby biograd » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:28 am

Are the circles the rims of the bicycle wheels themselves?
biograd

Postby trebor » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:08 am

Are the circles the rims of the bicycle wheels themselves? No.
trebor

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:46 am

Did the child intend to make the circles? Are the circles objects? Markings? Grooves? Did he intend for her to be terrified? When she sees the circles, does she know he made them? Know where he is? See him? Hear him?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:08 pm

Did the child intend to make the circles? Yes.Are the circles objects? No. Markings? No. But if his tires had been wet, there would’ve been marks. But these marks would’ve been irrelevant.Grooves? Did he intend for her to be terrified? No.When she sees the circles, does she know he made them? Know where he is? See him? Hear him? FA.

I hope I haven’t misled about the circles. It’s not simply that tracks are irrelevant, it’s that visual representation after the fact is not what the relevant circles are.
trebor

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:54 am

Are the circles simply what her child is doing on the bicycle (going in circles)? Has the child been injured when she feels terrified? Or is physical harm relevant?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:11 pm

Are the circles the child actually driving in circles at the moment?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:49 pm

Hobbsicle

Are the circles simply what her child is doing on the bicycle (going in circles)? Has the child been injured when she feels terrified? Or is physical harm relevant? Yes to all.

Are the circles the child actually driving in circles at the moment? See above. Although when she is terrified, the circles have stopped.
trebor

Postby markobr » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:10 pm

So her child rides his bicycle, at some point driving it in circles? Does she think this is a dangerous way of cycling? That he/she could easily have fallen in the process? If so: Because it is difficult to ride a bicycle that way? Because of what others might do? Does she worry about some other kind of accident?

Did the child cycle on a public road? Somewhere else where other traffic was to be expected?
markobr

Postby GalFisk » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:58 pm

Was he already injured when driving in circles? About to be injured? Dod he crash? Fall over? Hit something? Get git? Lose his balance? Was he a novice cyclist?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:39 am

markobr

So her child rides his bicycle, at some point driving it in circles? Yes.Does she think this is a dangerous way of cycling? Probably. See below. Keep in mind though that she didn’t know he was cycling until the conclusion of the puzzle.That he/she could easily have fallen in the process? If so: Because it is difficult to ride a bicycle that way? But yes.Because of what others might do? Does she worry about some other kind of accident?

Did the child cycle on a public road? Yes. Somewhere else where other traffic was to be expected?

GalFisk

Was he already injured when driving in circles? No.About to be injured? Yes. Dod he crash? Fall over? Yes.Hit something? Get git? Lose his balance? Yes. Was he a novice cyclist? He didn’t think so.
trebor

Postby GalFisk » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:48 am

Did he think he was an expert cyclist? Was he trying to do something cool? To show off? Was he trying to go in circles? Was it a normal bicycle? Appropriate for his size? Without training wheels? Had he earlier used training wheels? Was he in the process of learning to bicycle?
GalFisk

Postby wolfier » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:26 am

did she expect the child to not ride in circles? did the circle indicate that the bike wasn't set up correctly? e.g. loss of one of the 2 training wheels?
is anyone relevantly handicapped?
wolfier

Postby markobr » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:25 am

Did the child (try to) ride in especially small cycles? Ride around an object (e.g. a bollard)? Several objects?

When the child got injured, were the injuries just because of the fall? Or was other traffic involved? Did the child simply fall from the bicycle onto the road? Or on/against some other object? Maybe the own bicycle? Fall down a slope?

Was the mother unaware that the child rides a bicycle at all? Or just right now when the accident happened? Would she have been less terrified/not terrified at all if she had known from the beginning the child rode a bicycle?
markobr

Postby trebor » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:47 pm

GalFisk

Did he think he was an expert cyclist? Well, he was being a cocky kid. Was he trying to do something cool? Yes. By his definition of cool. See below.To show off? No. There was no one else present. Was he trying to go in circles? Yes. Was it a normal bicycle? Yes. Appropriate for his size? Yes. Without training wheels? Yes. Had he earlier used training wheels? As part of learning to ride, but irr. Was he in the process of learning to bicycle? No.

wolfier

did she expect the child to not ride in circles? Probably true, but who knows. did the circle indicate that the bike wasn't set up correctly? e.g. loss of one of the 2 training wheels?
is anyone relevantly handicapped? No to the rest.

markobr

Did the child (try to) ride in especially small cycles? YES. This combined with one other factor lead to the child spinning out, as discovered below.Ride around an object (e.g. a bollard)? Several objects?

When the child got injured, were the injuries just because of the fall? Yes.Or was other traffic involved? Did the child simply fall from the bicycle onto the road? Yes. Or on/against some other object? Maybe the own bicycle? Fall down a slope?

Was the mother unaware that the child rides a bicycle at all? Or just right now when the accident happened? This. Would she have been less terrified/not terrified at all if she had known from the beginning the child rode a bicycle? I think so, but she still would've felt awful/concerned.

Good questions, everyone!
trebor

Postby wolfier » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:48 pm

Is the child trying to drift on the bike?
wolfier

Postby trebor » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:11 am

wolfier

Is the child trying to drift on the bike? Nope, just riding in circles. But he was trying to make them smaller and smaller, and...
trebor

Postby GalFisk » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:45 pm

And: the wheels slid? The bike fell over? He turned too hard? Not hard enough? He leaned over too much? Did not lean enough? A part of his body caught on the ground? Was he on asphalt? Gravel? Asphalt with sand or gravel on it? On something else too slippery for his maneuver?
GalFisk

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles