[WiZ] Fly Like Paper, get High Like Planes [TOOK MY MONEY]

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] Fly Like Paper, get High Like Planes [TOOK MY MONEY]

Postby WiZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:43 pm

There is something that all of Mia's friends have done. Many of them did it at school. Some did it in the early stages of their careers. At least one did it on their honeymoon.

Mia has never done this, but she will be able to do this if she lives to be a supercentenarian. What is it?

FMOI, but fact-checked. No caveat.
Last edited by WiZ on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Fly Like Paper, get High Like Planes

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:47 pm

Does the thing that her friends did require physical effort or exertion? Movement by one or more parts of the body? Talking? Making some kind of noise? Standing? Sitting? Lying down?

Is Mia's age relevant? Is she human? Adult?
Are her friends the same age as she is? Fairly close in age? Much older? Much younger?

Has Mia never done it because she's never had the opportunity? Because she lacks something that her friends have? Because she has been afraid to do it? Because she hasn't been allowed to do it? Has Mia ever wanted to do it?

Does it involve seeing something? Witnessing something? Hearing something? Being "at the right place at the right time"?
CoffeeBean

Postby WiZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:56 pm

Does the thing that her friends did require physical effort or exertion? no Movement by one or more parts of the body? most probably Talking? Making some kind of noise? yes Standing? Sitting? likely both Lying down? likely not

Is Mia's age relevant? no Is she human? Adult? yes to both
Are her friends the same age as she is? Fairly close in age? yes to both Much older? Much younger? no to both

Has Mia never done it because she's never had the opportunity? yesish Because she lacks something that her friends have? yope Because she has been afraid to do it? no Because she hasn't been allowed to do it? noish Has Mia ever wanted to do it? yes

Does it involve seeing something? Witnessing something? Hearing something? Yesish to all three, with 'Witnessing something' being the closest Being "at the right place at the right time"? noish
WiZ

Postby Doriana » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:58 pm

Birthdays relevant? Leap years?
Doriana

Postby WiZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:32 pm

Birthdays relevant? Leap years?

*sigh*

Yes to both.
WiZ

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:19 pm

To continue our discussion of names, back when I used song titles I would also use the artist's name as my protagonist's name :D Now I have no such help.

Is Mia a Leap Day baby? Is the achievement to celebrate Xth birthday (27th or 28th, if my math's right?) Maybe to survive the infamous 27 Club?
irishelk

Postby WiZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:37 pm

To continue our discussion of names, back when I used song titles I would also use the artist's name as my protagonist's name :D

Full disclosure: I needed both a name and a title. A co-worker called Mia walked past, and I suddenly had both.

Now I have no such help. Not sure I follow this, though.

Is Mia a Leap Day baby? She is Is the achievement to celebrate Xth birthday yes, but bear in mind some of her friends did this at school (27th or 28th, if my math's right?) no to both Maybe to survive the infamous 27 Club? no
WiZ

Postby Doriana » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:45 pm

Celebrating the birthday on which the number of birthdays you’ve had is the same as the day you were born (e.g. your 14th birthday if you were born on the 14th)?
Doriana

Postby WiZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:49 pm

Celebrating the birthday on which the number of birthdays you’ve had is the same as the day you were born (e.g. your 14th birthday if you were born on the 14th)? Gosh, don't you have, like, a PhD to get or something? :P

***** SPOILER *****

Celebrate their Golden birthday (i.e. the birthday that corresponds to the day of the month on which they were born). Her friends all did this by their early thirties, but Mia, born February 29, would have to have been on earth for 116 years to celebrate her 29th.

Congratulations, Doriana, on the solution, and thank you all for playing!
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Fly Like Paper, get High Like Planes [TOOK MY MONE

Postby Doriana » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:57 pm

“Gosh, don't you have, like, a PhD to get or something? :P” - Not at 1 am, no :P

Hadn’t heard of the term Golden birthday before. I spent parts of mine - my 14th - in hospital, so...
Doriana

Postby irishelk » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:58 am

Nice one!

P.S., I know plenty of 27-28 year olds who are still in school :lol:
irishelk

Postby WiZ » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:34 am

That's fair. Should have thrown in a 'high' or 'primary/elementary', but that would have disrupted the cadence :P
WiZ

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles