[klodike mary] bye bye

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[klodike mary] bye bye

Postby klondike mary » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:15 am

I don't know if I am smarter than a 5th-grader, but there is someone/something I can outsmart, though it is not very nice of me.
klondike mary

Re: [klodike mary] bye bye

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:54 am

Someone/something: one entity? Two? More? An animal? A technical device or system? Would outsmarting this be: mean? Dishonest? Petty? Exploitative? Cruel? Pointless?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:15 pm

Is it not nice: to the someone/thing? To someone else? To yourself? Just generally mean or bad manners?
irishelk

Postby klondike mary » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:24 am

Someone/something: one entity? Two? More?One entity/group made up of many entities.An animal? Yes.A technical device or system? Would outsmarting this be: mean? Dishonest? [b]Yessish.[/b]Petty?[b]Yessish.[/b]Exploitative? Cruel? [b]Yope leaning to no.[/b]Pointless?There is very much a point to it.
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:28 am

Is it not nice: to the someone/thing? To someone else? [b]to the aforementioned entity.[/b]To yourself?[b]No, it is good for me.[/b]Just generally mean[b]Depends on one's POV.[/b]or bad manners?[b]Manners n.r.[/b]
klondike mary

Postby irishelk » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:28 pm

You can outsmart an animal? A group of animals? A certain species of animal?

Is the animal a pet? Domesticated? Wild?

Is food involved? Water? Spoken commands? Hiding something?
irishelk

Postby trebor » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:28 am

Are the animals human? Mammalian? Are they your pets? Animals that feed on your property? Rodents?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:03 pm

You can outsmart an animal? A group of animals?[b]Yes.[/b] A certain species of animal?[b]Yes.[/b]Is the animal a pet? Domesticated? Wild?Wild.

Is food involved? [b]Yes, no to the rest.[/b]Water? Spoken commands? Hiding something?
Are the animals human? Mammalian? Are they your pets? Animals that feed on your property? This, no to everything else.Rodents?
klondike mary

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Are they insects? Bees? Birdies?
JenBurdoo

Postby klondike mary » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:02 am

Are they insects? Bees? Birdies?No to all. I'm sorry, I overlooked the last word in the last question. They are, in fact, rodents - a specific type of rodent.
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:49 am

To be sure: are we talking about real animals? virtual ones?

Is the reference to the 5th-grader relevant? Or just a comparison?

Can you outsmart them more than once?

it is not very nice of me. --> because the animals would suffer/die? Someone else would suffer?

In outsmarting them, do you obtain an advantage? If so, a physical advantage? (e.g. employ the movement of a group of animals to produce energy? to drag something? to entertain people? To gain money?) A scientific advance? (e.g. they are guinea pigs? animals to be tested?)

Can you outsmart a certain group of animals belonging to that specie? All the animals belonging to that specie? Do you trap them? Is the food a trap? A way to attract them in a specific place? A reward given after they obey/do a certain action? Maybe a target to reach but that is unreachable until you want it (e.g. food at the top of an hamster wheel)? Specific type of rodent --> rats? hamsters? squirrels? skunks? beavers? others?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:49 pm

To be sure: are we talking about real animals? virtual ones? [b]Real animals. Correction: They are not rodents, but birds. For a moment, I forgot which puzzle I was working on.[/b]

Is the reference to the 5th-grader relevant? Or just a comparison? [b]Reference to a quiz show: "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader."[/b]Can you outsmart them more than once? [b]Hopefully.[/b]

it is not very nice of me. --> because the animals would suffer/die? Someone else would suffer?[b]I would be taking a food source away from them, but I'm sure they could find another.[/b]In outsmarting them, do you obtain an advantage?[b]Yes[/b]If so, a physical advantage? (e.g. employ the movement of a group of animals to produce energy? to drag something? to entertain people? To gain money?) A scientific advance? (e.g. they are guinea pigs? animals to be tested?)[b]No to all of these. My advantage is that I am putting 'them' at a disadvantage.[/b]

Can you outsmart a certain group of animals belonging to that specie? [b]Yes.[/b]All the animals belonging to that specie? Do you trap them? Is the food a trap? A way to attract them in a specific place?[b]Food is involved, but I do not give them food. [/b]A reward given after they obey/do a certain action? Maybe a target to reach but that is unreachable until you want it (e.g. food at the top of an hamster wheel)? Specific type of rodent --> rats? hamsters? squirrels? skunks? beavers? others? [b]They are birds. Sorry - I should not run more than one puzzle at a time involving animals![/b]
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:53 pm

Are the birds a nuisance to you? Do you enjoy their visits? Do they feed on something in your yard? On your house? In your garden? Drink from a fountain/pond/pool you have?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:22 am

Are the birds a nuisance to you? YesDo you enjoy their visits?Not particularly.Do they feed on something in your yard? On your house? In your garden?This. Drink from a fountain/pond/pool you have?
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:34 am

Is it something that you planted? If so, relevant specifically what plant? Is it edible by humans? A flower? Would you just have to uproot it? Cover it? Spray it with something that would make it unappealing to the birds? Encage it?
trebor

Postby JenBurdoo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:58 pm

Is a bird feeder involved? Is the food trapped or protected in some way?
JenBurdoo

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles