[CoffeeBean] So Funny I Forgot To Laugh

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[CoffeeBean] So Funny I Forgot To Laugh

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:47 pm

Carl took something from Liam, and Liam's response made a lot of people laugh.
As time passed, fewer people laughed at the reaction.
Then in 2013, a lot of people found it funny again.

BOATS
CoffeeBean

Re: [CoffeeBean] So Funny I Forgot To Laugh

Postby Doriana » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:56 pm

Carl = H/A/M? H/C/M?
Liam = H/A/M? H/C/M?
Did Carl and Liam know each other when this happened? If so, are they father and son? brothers? other relatives? partners? friends? classmates?
Are Carl and Liam real people? Fictional characters? Did this happen in a movie? TV series? Was it captured on video?

Was what Carl took a tangible object? more than one object? money?

Was Liam's response verbal? behavioural?
Did people laugh because they found the reaction funny? unexpected? inappropriate? exaggerated? As time went on, did fewer people laugh at it because fewer people knew about it? because fewer people found it funny?

Relevant when this happened? If so, less than 10 years before 2013? less than 50? less than 100? longer ago?
Doriana

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:15 pm

Carl = H/A/M? H/C/M?
Liam = H/A/M? H/C/M? Both are HAM
Did Carl and Liam know each other when this happened? Yes If so, are they father and son? brothers? They are brothers, yes other relatives? partners? friends? classmates?
Are Carl and Liam real people? Yes Fictional characters? Did this happen in a movie? TV series? Was it captured on video? The "taking" wasn't in a movie or captured on any kind of video, but explore this idea...

Was what Carl took a tangible object? more than one object? It was objects money? This may have been involved, but not directly

Was Liam's response verbal? behavioural? Both, but the behavior is most relevant
Did people laugh because they found the reaction funny? Yes unexpected? Many probably did, yes inappropriate? Probably, because it was...exaggerated? ...this.
As time went on, did fewer people laugh at it because fewer people knew about it? Yes, and another cause as well
because fewer people found it funny? Very possible, related to the "other cause" mentioned in previous answer

Relevant when this happened? Yes If so, less than 10 years before 2013? less than 50? less than 100? longer ago? The relevant event happened about 75-80 years prior to 2013
CoffeeBean

Postby Doriana » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:56 pm

Are they H/A/M now? Or were they H/A/M at the time of the "taking"?

Were they famous at the time of the "taking"? Are they famous now? Are there any records of the taking? Of Liam's response to the taking? Was the response to the taking immediate?

Was the taking and/or the response turned into a movie in 2013? used as a plot point in a movie? YouTube relevant? Memes? Social media?
Doriana

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:01 pm

Are they H/A/M now? You probably wouldn't refer to them as this now, no.
Or were they H/A/M at the time of the "taking"? Yes

Were they famous at the time of the "taking"? No Are they famous now? Yes
Are there any records of the taking? No Of Liam's response to the taking? Not a "record" in a strict sense but of a sort, yes Was the response to the taking immediate? Yes very much so

Was the taking and/or the response turned into a movie in 2013? No used as a plot point in a movie? Not exactly this but OTRT
YouTube relevant? Memes? Social media? All of these are indirect and not very relevant
CoffeeBean

Postby Doriana » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Did Carl take two objects from Liam? 3-5? 6-10? More than 10? Were all objects the same? similar? part of a set?
Relevant how he felt about the objects? Had he wanted to keep them? Was he happy to get rid of them? Relevant what Carl did with the objects after taking them?

Did anyone see the taking? Did the people who laughed at the response see it happen live? Hear about it? Read about it?

Did Liam’s response involve moving his body in a relevant way? Interacting with an object? Making sounds? Did the response cause bodily harm to Carl?
Did the response indicate that Liam was angry? upset? sad? disappointed? surprised? confused? impressed? relieved? happy?

Did they only become famous in 2013? Before that?
Doriana

Postby Earnest » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 am

so maybe what they did became famous thanks to someone else? E.g. it was reproduced in a tv show? in a movie? in a YouTube video? By someone famous? In a spot/advertising? Maybe it was reproduced and adapted to modern times? Technology relevant?

Did Carl take Liam's objects without permission? Without asking him? Did Liam expect it? Did Carl made a joke to Liam? Were the objects the same kind of object? Different types of object? Are they usually found in houses? Clothing? Are they still present nowadays?
Did the objects belong to Liam? Relevant what they were? Pieces of paper? Documents? Keys? cigarettes? medicines? food? Wallet? Musical instruments? a collection? charges? batteries? munitions? glasses? Tickets?

Is the fact that they were brothers relevant? If so, because only brothers could know where the objects were? Is info sharing relevant? Technology of the time? Relevant the work of the two? Was it the same? Did they entertain people? oleography relevant? Acting? Dancing? Magic tricks?

Was Liam's response verbal? behavioural? Both, but the behavior is most relevant. --> was Liam's response voluntarily exaggerated? Or it was spontaneous? did he expect that Carl would have taken his objects? Did Liam accuse Carl? Did Liam fall in desperation? Try to find the objects? Look for them in a comic place (e.g. in his clothing but by doing it he made something relevant that made people laugh)? Look for them in a comic way (e.g. Carl took his glasses and he look for them by not seeing anything)? Were the two in a relevant place?

Did Liam notice that someone (Carl?) took something as soon as Carl took the objects? Did Liam react immediately?
Earnest

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:05 pm

Did Carl take two objects from Liam? 3-5? 6-10? More than 10? The exact number isn't known, but let's say 4-6 objects (but FA here too)
Were all objects the same? similar? part of a set? Yes to all
Relevant how he felt about the objects? Not really Had he wanted to keep them? No Was he happy to get rid of them? No
Relevant what Carl did with the objects after taking them? It may help you determine the situation if you explore this

Did anyone see the taking? Yes Did the people who laughed at the response see it happen live? No
Hear about it? Read about it? Some may have but likely very few

Did Liam’s response involve moving his body in a relevant way? Yes Interacting with an object? No Making sounds? No
Did the response cause bodily harm to Carl? Yes
Did the response indicate that Liam was angry? upset? Both sad? disappointed? surprised? confused? impressed? relieved? happy?

Did they only become famous in 2013? Before that? They were famous long before 2013

so maybe what they did became famous thanks to someone else? E.g. it was reproduced in a tv show? Yes to both of these in a movie? Later, yes in a YouTube video? I'm sure it has By someone famous? Well, yes In a spot/advertising? It's probably been done but this isn't the main format Maybe it was reproduced and adapted to modern times? No Technology relevant? In part, yes

Did Carl take Liam's objects without permission? Without asking him? Neither of these apply
Did Liam expect it? No Did Carl made a joke to Liam? No Were the objects the same kind of object? Yes Different types of object? Are they usually found in houses? Yes Clothing? No Are they still present nowadays? Yes
Did the objects belong to Liam? Maybe or maybe not, this is unknown (and relates to the FA mentioned above) Relevant what they were? Yes Pieces of paper? Yes but there's more to it than that Documents? No
Keys? cigarettes? medicines? food? Wallet? Musical instruments? a collection? This, in a way charges? batteries? munitions? glasses? Tickets?

Is the fact that they were brothers relevant? Yes, because of other undiscovered events
If so, because only brothers could know where the objects were? No, not because of this Is info sharing relevant? No
Technology of the time? Only to a secondary degree Relevant the work of the two? Yes Was it the same? Yes
Did they entertain people? Yes oleography relevant? Acting? Yes to this Dancing? Magic tricks?

Was Liam's response verbal? behavioural? Both, but the behavior is most relevant. --> was Liam's response voluntarily exaggerated? Or it was spontaneous? It was both spontaneous and to some degree exaggerated
did he expect that Carl would have taken his objects? He may have expected it, yes Did Liam accuse Carl? Likely that he did, yes
Did Liam fall in desperation? No Try to find the objects? He didn't need to do this Look for them in a comic place (e.g. in his clothing but by doing it he made something relevant that made people laugh)? No
Look for them in a comic way (e.g. Carl took his glasses and he look for them by not seeing anything)? No
Were the two in a relevant place? Yes, something about the place is relevant

Did Liam notice that someone (Carl?) took something as soon as Carl took the objects? Yes Did Liam react immediately? Yes
CoffeeBean

Postby Doriana » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:13 pm

Are Carl and Liam twins? Relevant? If not twins, relevant who is older?

Was the taking part of a performance? Did Liam have the objects on him when Carl took them? near him?

Did Liam slap Carl? punch him? kick him? tackle him?

After taking them, did Carl keep the objects? throw them away? sell them? give them away? give them back to Liam? use them?
Are the objects commonly consumed or used up? If so, did Carl use them up?
Doriana

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:58 pm

Are Carl and Liam twins? Relevant? If not twins, relevant who is older? They aren't twins, but their ages and age difference isn't very relevant. They are both adults in the relevant situation.

Was the taking part of a performance? No Did Liam have the objects on him when Carl took them? near him? They were near him, yes

Did Liam slap Carl? punch him? kick him? tackle him? "Punch" is closest

After taking them, did Carl keep the objects? No throw them away? sell them? give them away? give them back to Liam? He did give them back, but not necessarily to Liam
use them? No
Are the objects commonly consumed or used up? No If so, did Carl use them up? So no
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:38 pm

Is a movie remake relevant? A TV remake?
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:52 pm

Is a movie remake relevant? A TV remake? Neither
CoffeeBean

Postby Zanreo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:55 pm

Did fewer people find it funny later on because they realized something about Liam? About Carl? Did they just feel bad for Liam instead?

Did people find it funny again in 2013 because it reminded them of something?

The relevant thing about them being brothers: they had the same parents? They grew up together?

Relevant place it happened: Inside? Outside? An object at the place relevant? Were any other people there when it happened?
Zanreo

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:54 pm

Did fewer people find it funny later on because they realized something about Liam? About Carl? Did they just feel bad for Liam instead? None of these reasons

Did people find it funny again in 2013 because it reminded them of something? Not exactly but OTRT

The relevant thing about them being brothers: they had the same parents? They grew up together? No to these

Relevant place it happened: Inside? Probably this Outside? An object at the place relevant? Yes
Were any other people there when it happened? At least one other person was there, maybe more
CoffeeBean

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:51 pm

Are Liam and Carl twins? Are they aware that they're brothers? Have they become a meme?
JenBurdoo

Postby CoffeeBean » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:53 pm

Are Liam and Carl twins? No
Are they aware that they're brothers? Yes
Have they become a meme? Not relevant
CoffeeBean

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:34 pm

HINT #1: The fact that they are brothers is helpful in understanding why Liam responded the way he did
CoffeeBean

Postby AlbatrossLover » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:27 am

Did Carl take something the two were supposed to share? Is an inheritance relevant? Something else about their family? Did the fact that they were brothers cause Liam to be more genuinely upset? To exaggerate his reaction?

The people who laughed didn't see the taking/Liam's reaction happen live, but the incident wasn't recorded and most people didn't hear or read about it, right? Did they laugh at the aftermath? A recreation of the incident? A drawing? Someone else imitating Liam's reaction?
AlbatrossLover

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:26 pm

Did Carl take something the two were supposed to share? No Is an inheritance relevant? No Something else about their family? Yes Did the fact that they were brothers cause Liam to be more genuinely upset? To exaggerate his reaction? Possibly both

The people who laughed didn't see the taking/Liam's reaction happen live, but the incident wasn't recorded and most people didn't hear or read about it, right? That's right Did they laugh at the aftermath? A recreation of the incident? THIS A drawing?
Someone else imitating Liam's reaction? This too, at certain times
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:20 pm

Was the recreation in a form of art? In entertainment? In media? Online? In a meme?
Balin

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles