[klondike mary] the prosthesis thesis

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[klondike mary] the prosthesis thesis

Postby klondike mary » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:16 pm

Aren't you awfully young to have false ones?
klondike mary

Re: [klondike mary] the prosthesis thesis

Postby GalFisk » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:49 pm

Is the puzzle statement spoken? To a human? To someone young? In earnest? Are there false teeth? As a replacement for missing or damaged actual teeth? As a joke? A costume? Milk teeth relevant? "Awfully young": less than a year? 2? 5? 10? 30? 40? 60? 80?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:37 pm

Is Halloween relevant?

If not false teeth, false other body parts? Tangible things? False beliefs? Ideas? Ideals?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:05 am

Is the puzzle statement spoken? To a human? To someone young? Yes, yes ad yes.In earnest? Possibly, n.r,Are there false teeth? No.As a replacement for missing[b]yope[/b] or damaged no actual teeth? As a joke? A costume? Yessish Milk teeth relevant? Yes."Awfully young": less than a year? 2?2 at the most, likely less than 1. 5? 10? 30? 40? 60? 80
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:08 am

Is Halloween relevant? No.

If not false teeth, false other body parts? Tangible things? False beliefs? Ideas? Ideals? some 'falsity' involved, but n.r.
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:23 am

Is the puzzle statement a response to the child saying something like, "I can't wait to get my real teeth!"?

Yesish to a costume...had the child had some dental work done? Or was about to have dental work done? Perhaps as a result of an accident/injury?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Is the puzzle statement a response to the child saying something like, "I can't wait to get my real teeth!"? No.

Yesish to a costume...had the child had some dental work done? Or was about to have dental work done? Yope to both. Perhaps as a result of an accident/injury? No accident, injury, or abnormality involved.
trebor
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:07 am

Since GalFisk quoted my name I could not avoid this one xD

To be sure: speaker and child H? If so, speaker HAM/HAF, children HCM/HCF? Relevant? Does the speaker talk to the child? If so, was the child listening and interacting with the speaker (as an opposite situation, the child was sedated/sleeping, as in an operation)? Relevant? Or maybe and that's a WAG, are we talking about an archeologist finding either the skeleton of a child/ an image?

dentures relevant? Dentist? Did the child ask for something to the dentist? Did the child ate something tough? Dental hygiene relevant?

Milk teeth relevant? Yes. --> did the child have milk teeth? were they all fallen? relevant? some of them was relevantly not fallen? some wobbling teeth? Mechanisms to force teeth to fall (e.g. closing a door...) relevant?

When saying "false ones", does the speaker refer to milk teeth (I guess no)? To a replacement for milk teeth? To false teeth? If the latter: plastics teeth? Teeth made of a chemical that resembles true teeth? To test that the child claimed to have? Is the material relevant? Does the speaker refer to a tooth in particular? To a group of teeth in particular? If so, please, can I invoke the list of teeth? Is it "normal" to have false ones? If so, from a certain age on?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Since GalFisk quoted my name I could not avoid this one xD

To be sure: speaker and child H? If so, speaker HAM/HAF,either children HCM/HCF? In this case HCF. Relevant? Noish. Could be other way round. Does the speaker talk to the child? If so, was the child listening and interacting with the speaker (as an opposite situation, the child was sedated/sleeping, as in an operation)? Relevant? Speaker addresses the child, but there is no assumption that the child is listening. Or maybe and that's a WAG, are we talking about an archeologist finding either the skeleton of a child/ an image? No, everybody is alive.

Dentures relevant? Yessish.Dentist? AFAIK, no. Did the child ask for something to the dentist? Did the child ate something tough? Dental hygiene relevant? No to these.

Milk teeth relevant? Yes. --> did the child have milk teeth? Yessish. There is a FA being made. were they all fallen? relevant? some of them was relevantly not fallen? some wobbling teeth? Mechanisms to force teeth to fall (e.g. closing a door...) relevant?

When saying "false ones", does the speaker refer to milk teeth (I guess no)? To teeth generally.To a replacement for milk teeth? Yessish.To false teeth? If the latter: plastics teeth? Teeth made of a chemical that resembles true teeth? [b]IDK what the teeth in question were made of - probably not the same materials that 'false teeth' for adults are[/b]To test that the child claimed to have? Is the material relevant? Does the speaker refer to a tooth in particular? To a group of teeth in particular? I would say one of the front teeth.If so, please, can I invoke the list of teeth? Is it "normal" to have false ones? If so, from a certain age on? It is not normal, but we are not talking about 'normal' children (by which I do not mean 'abnormal' or 'freakkish,' just not 'average.')
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:34 am

So there are no abnormalities, accidents, or injuries involved? But still there is something not "normal" with the child in question? Does this girl have a relevant medical condition? Does the "not normal" thing have to do with her teeth? Mouth? Health at all? Is she unbelievably intelligent? Is she more advanced in her development than most other children her age?

Just to be clear: is more than one child relevant? In your last answer you said "were are not talking about 'normal' children", plural. Are there any adults relevant to the puzzle other than the one speaking?

Are the girl's milk teeth already visible? If so, completely?
trebor

Postby Earnest » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:03 am

did the child have milk teeth? Yessish. There is a FA being made--> more children? no children? If so, an adult? or maybe plural used for teeth...I mean are we talking about More milk teeth? A single milk tooth? Did the child have teeth at all? Did he have only milk teeth? If so, more than 3? More than 2? Relevant?

Does the speaker expect the child to have false teeth? protheses? milk teeth? Was the speaker genuinely doubtful on the possibility that the child had false teeth? Was the child: smiling? eating? sit? under scrutiny? distant from the speaker? very close to him/her?

Did the child have braces on his teeth?

Does thee speaker ask for info about the child denture? If so, are these information relevant to the speaker? Again, if so, in a medical way (e.g. the child needed a radiography, therefore the speaker needed to know if he had protheses/false teeth...) If not for medical reasons, does the speaker ask for the child safety? For curiosity? For building up a fictional character to the child?
Is the speaker examining the child's mouth? If so, is the speaker entitled to do so? Is the speaker expected to give a medical opinion? Or maybe, is the speaker observing a tooth/more teeth that the child lost? or maybe an image (e.g. a scan image)?

Is the child able to speak? Relevant?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:40 pm

So there are no abnormalities, accidents, or injuries involved? But still there is something not "normal" with the child in question? Does this girl have a relevant medical condition? Not a medical condition.[b]Does the "not normal" thing have to do with her teeth? Mouth? Health at all? Is she unbelievably intelligent? Is she more advanced in her development than most other children her age?
[b]No.

Just to be clear: is more than one child relevant? Yes!In your last answer you said "were are not talking about 'normal' children", plural. Are there any adults relevant to the puzzle other than the one speaking? There are adults relevant to the situation on which the puzzle is based, yes.

Are the girl's milk teeth already visible? If so, completely?Yope.
trebor
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:48 pm

did the child have milk teeth? Yessish. There is a FA being made--> more children?Yes, more than one child. no children? If so, an adult? or maybe plural used for teeth...I mean are we talking about More milk teeth? A single milk tooth? Did the child have teeth aNumber of teeth n.r.

I am using communal computer & have difficulty copying & pasting your long post, so will try to answer in this format.
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:58 pm

Following up on Earnest'spost:
The speaker does not expect the child to have false teeth. The child is under scrutitiny, in a way, but what actions she is performing are n.r. Distance between speaker & child is n.r.. The speaker is most likely just curious. The speaker is not making an exam, and is not entitled to. The child does not speak, and cannot be expected to.
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:06 am

I am using communal computer & have difficulty copying & pasting your long post, so will try to answer in this format. --> no prob. Thanks for the effort :)

Can we assume modern times? Relevant where the scene took place? USA? Europe? Asia? Others? Technology relevant?

Is the speaker referring to all the children? Are there more than 5 children? Are the children expected to be there? Are they on strollers? Are they aligned in a row? Are they standing? Sitting? Are they in a relevant building? Theater? Hotel? Clinique? Restaurant? A movie scene? A room in a house? A building where people usually bring the children? Asylum? A school? playground?
Sport activities relevant?

Does the speaker usually work with children? Is her work connected to children? To teeth? To costumes?

Is the speaker a babysitter? Is she supervising the children? Controlling them one by one? Entertaining them? Did the speaker saw the milk teeth of one child? Of all the children? If so, relevant how? Are the children performing some actions involving their teeth? Involving their teeth and that adults not having milk teeth could not perform?

Is thee speaker speaking loud? Relevant? Is someone else present nearby a part from children?

we are not talking about 'normal' children --> adopted? Abandoned? employed as doubles in movies? employed in advertising? having a relevant social condition (e.g. price that need to be dressed)?

Is anything like living nativity scene relevant?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:20 pm

Can we assume modern times? Yes.Relevant where the scene took place? USA?Yes. Europe? Asia? Others? Technology relevant?Yes.

Is the speaker referring to all the children? Only one of them has 'falsies.'[b]Are there more than 5 children? [b]Only 2Are the children expected to be there? Yes.Are they on strollers? Are they aligned in a row? Are they standing? Sitting?None of this is relevant. Are they in a relevant building? Mostly, yes.Theater? Hotel? Clinique? Restaurant? A movie scene? This is close. All else yope or n.r.A room in a house? A building where people usually bring the children? Asylum? A school? playground?
Sport activities relevant?No.

Does the speaker usually work with children? Is her work connected to children? To teeth? To costumes?Yope, or possibly n.r.

Is the speaker a babysitter? Is she supervising the children? Controlling them one by one? Entertaining them? Could be any of these, or 'other.' Did the speaker saw the milk teeth of one child? Yes.Of all the children? If so, relevant how? Are the children performing some actions involving their teeth? Involving their teeth and that adults not having milk teeth could not perform? [b]No specific action, but adults could certainly not do these things.[/b]

Is thee speaker speaking loud? Relevant? Is someone else present nearby a part from children?n.r. to all.

we are not talking about 'normal' children --> adopted? Abandoned? employed as doubles in movies? This! employed in advertising? having a relevant social condition (e.g. price that need to be dressed)?

Is anything like living nativity scene relevant [b]No. Spoiler to follow.[/b]
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:42 am

*****************SPOILER*****************************
Twins Mary Kate and Ashley Olson shared the part of Michelle on the TVshow Full House. Though twins, they did not cut their milk teeth at the same time, so the temporarily toothless one had to have an imitation baby tooth/teeth. I don't know what they were made of, but I am sure not the same material that dentures or caps for adults are. After all, they were only cosmetic, not intended for chewing.
Kitchee-kitchee-koo to all of you!
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:23 am

Cool one!
Earnest

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles