[Balin] Ten for the price of ten

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Ten for the price of ten

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:42 am

This week, I learned that Loretta's strictness cost me $10 last month. Why?
Balin

Re: [Balin] Ten for the price of ten

Postby Doriana » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:49 am

Loretta = H/A/F? Do you know Loretta personally? If so, are you related? friends? acquaintances? co-workers? fellow students?

Subscriptions relevant? Donations? Fines?

Last month = September? August? Relevant?
Doriana

Postby markobr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:51 pm

Were the $10 money you had to pay? You failed to being paid? To keep for now, but have them to mark for future payments? Not expecting to get paid now, but in future?

Is Loretta one of your relatives? If so: Wife? Daughter? Mother? Sister? Aunt? Cousin? Or someone you personally relate to? Or a business partner? A competitior?

Will the $10 go directly to Loretta? To a business she's invested in? Something she has a personal interest in, but you will not pay particularily her (e.g. she's a member of a performing right's society and succeeded in getting more money for performers, and you don't pay for her work but for other performers subject to the same rules)?

Copyrights involved at all? Patents? Trademarks? (In case of something similas: LTPF list of intangible rights, please)
markobr

Postby GalFisk » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:36 am

Is Loretta in a position of power with relation to you? Of dependency? Both? Strict: with followinrg rules? Enforcing rules? Creating rules or limitations?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:33 am

Loretta = H/A/F? Yes Do you know Loretta personally? Yes If so, are you related? friends? acquaintances? co-workers? fellow students? None of these

Subscriptions relevant? Donations? Fines? None of these

Last month = September? August? This (note that in my time zone, I posted this late at night on Sept. 30, when it was already October in Europe) Relevant? Yes

Were the $10 money you had to pay? This You failed to being paid? To keep for now, but have them to mark for future payments? Not expecting to get paid now, but in future?

Is Loretta one of your relatives? No If so: Wife? Daughter? Mother? Sister? Aunt? Cousin? Or someone you personally relate to? Not sure what you mean by this - I know her personally, and we speak regularly, but we aren't related Or a business partner? A competitior? None of these

Will the $10 go directly to Loretta? To a business she's invested in? Something she has a personal interest in, but you will not pay particularily her (e.g. she's a member of a performing right's society and succeeded in getting more money for performers, and you don't pay for her work but for other performers subject to the same rules)? None of these

Copyrights involved at all? Patents? Trademarks? None of these (In case of something similas: LTPF list of intangible rights, please) List unnecessary

Is Loretta in a position of power with relation to you? Yes Of dependency? No Both? Strict: with followinrg rules? This, slight svv of "rules" Enforcing rules? This too, but "following" is more important Creating rules or limitations? No
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:13 pm

SVV of rules: ethics? Morals? Laws? Guidelines? Signs? Wording?
If she'd been less strict, would you have paid: $0? $10 less? Did she correct a mistake? An oversight? Something else? Did this situation arise only once? If not, did you save $10 on any other occasion?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:27 am

SVV of rules: ethics? Morals? Laws? Guidelines? Signs? Wording? This
If she'd been less strict, would you have paid: $0? $10 less? This Did she correct a mistake? An oversight? Something else? I wouldn't say she "corrected" it Did this situation arise only once? The situation where a purchase was required, Yes If not, did you save $10 on any other occasion?
Balin

Postby peter365 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:31 pm

I would have called this puzzle 'Loretta of the Law' :D

Would it help if we established how much you pay a month in total ? Is it a subscription of some kind? Did you lose a wager ?

Do you interact with Loretta at work even though she's not a co-worker? At home? Commuting? Do you see her everyday?
peter365

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:38 pm

I would have called this puzzle 'Loretta of the Law' :D ...too late to steal it, I suppose...

Would it help if we established how much you pay a month in total? FA Is it a subscription of some kind? No Did you lose a wager? No

Do you interact with Loretta at work even though she's not a co-worker? For svv of "work" At home? No Commuting? No Do you see her everyday? No
Balin

Postby Doriana » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:23 pm

Grad school relevant? Is she a professor of yours? Someone else working at the university?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:30 pm

Grad school relevant? Yes Is she a professor of yours? Yes Someone else working at the university?
Balin

Postby Doriana » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:29 pm

Buying materials for class relevant? If so, textbooks? other books? software? Did she require a specific edition of a book that was $10 more than another?
Were other students in the same situation?
Wording of the syllabus relevant? of the course description? of university rules/guidelines?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:31 pm

Buying materials for class relevant? Yes If so, textbooks? other books? software? None of these Did she require a specific edition of a book that was $10 more than another? No
Were other students in the same situation? I don't know, but it's possible
Wording of the syllabus relevant? of the course description? of university rules/guidelines? None of these
Balin

Postby raevenclaw » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:51 am

other class supplies, such as pens? pencils? notebooks? binders? highlighters? calculators?
did you end up purchasing more materials than strictly required? higher quality materials? both? neither?
raevenclaw

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:57 am

other class supplies Yes, such as pens? pencils? notebooks? binders? highlighters? calculators? None of these, but "calculators" is OTRT
did you end up purchasing more materials than strictly required? Yes higher quality materials? No both? neither?
Balin

Postby raevenclaw » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:02 am

OTRT as in the material was also electronic? also used for math? something else?

did loretta require a certain brand? more advanced item than needed (i know calculator is wrong, but for instance requiring a graphing calculator when a basic four-function one is fine)? did you have to repurchase the item? or simply buy more than you normally would have?
raevenclaw

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:10 am

OTRT as in the material was also electronic? No also used for math? Yes something else?

did loretta require a certain brand? No more advanced item than needed (i know calculator is wrong, but for instance requiring a graphing calculator when a basic four-function one is fine)? No did you have to repurchase the item? No or simply buy more than you normally would have? I didn't have to, but I did
Balin

Postby Doriana » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:29 pm

Ruler? Protractor? Compass? Graph paper?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:53 pm

Ruler? Protractor? Compass? This Graph paper?
Balin

Postby Doriana » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:42 pm

Did you buy a compass? Did it cost 10 dollars?
Is the other kind of compass relevant? Did you think you could get around buying a (math) compass by bringing a (navigation) compass to class? But the wording made it clear which kind of compass she meant?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:40 am

Did you buy a compass? Yes Did it cost 10 dollars? Yes
Is the other kind of compass relevant? No Did you think you could get around buying a (math) compass by bringing a (navigation) compass to class? No But the wording made it clear which kind of compass she meant? No
Balin

Postby wunderland » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Strictness regarding accurately drawn circles?
Did you learn "this week": what the compass had cost you? or that the purchase had been unnecessary? or that it would have been unnecessary, if not for Loretta's strictness?
wunderland

Postby Balin » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Strictness regarding accurately drawn circles? No
Did you learn "this week": what the compass had cost you? or that the purchase had been unnecessary? This or that it would have been unnecessary, if not for Loretta's strictness?
Balin

Postby gregoryuconn » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:26 am

Relevant why you didn’t learn it until this week? Because you didn’t have some relevant lesson until then? You dropped the course before you got to the part where it was needed? Class was cancelled due to coronavirus? Or some other reason? You didn’t see Loretta until then? Loretta clarified something? Loretta was replaced by a different, less strict professor?

Did Loretta provide a list of supplies needed and the compass was on there? Communicate the list of needed supplies in some other way? Did it specify a particular kind of compass? Specify a new compass? Specify that you purchase the compass in advance of the class? (This last one probably only makes sense if the class was canceled or you withdrew.)
gregoryuconn

Postby Balin » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:34 am

Relevant why you didn’t learn it until this week? Not particularly Because you didn’t have some relevant lesson until then? But it's this You dropped the course before you got to the part where it was needed? Class was cancelled due to coronavirus? Or some other reason? You didn’t see Loretta until then? Loretta clarified something? Loretta was replaced by a different, less strict professor?

Did Loretta provide a list of supplies needed and the compass was on there? Yes Communicate the list of needed supplies in some other way? Did it specify a particular kind of compass? No Specify a new compass? No Specify that you purchase the compass in advance of the class? It was on the list of required supplies for the class, and I didn't have one (This last one probably only makes sense if the class was canceled or you withdrew.)
Balin

Postby wunderland » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:40 pm

So the compass was not, in fact, needed for the class, correct?
Did Loretta strictly interpret some wording to mean that the compass should be added to the list of required supplies, even though it wasn't needed for the class? if so, is the wording in a rule? a syllabus? a guideline or recommendation? written by the school? or a higher authority (eg department of education / equivalent)?
What I'm thinking is: maybe it said something like, "students should have a full set of mathematical instruments: protractor, ruler, ..." and she noticed that without a compass, the list wasn't strictly a "full set" and so she added it?
wunderland

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:17 pm

So the compass was not, in fact, needed for the class, correct? Incorrect, it was needed
Did Loretta strictly interpret some wording Yes to mean that the compass should be added to the list of required supplies, even though it wasn't needed for the class? No if so, is the wording in a rule? a syllabus? This a guideline or recommendation? written by the school? No or a higher authority (eg department of education / equivalent)? No
What I'm thinking is: maybe it said something like, "students should have a full set of mathematical instruments: protractor, ruler, ..." and she noticed that without a compass, the list wasn't strictly a "full set" and so she added it? No, but you're right that the relevant wording was the list of supplies needed for the class
Balin

Postby Doriana » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:40 pm

I'm confused - you said "no" when I asked if the wording of the syllabus was relevant, but now you said "yes" when asked if the relevant wording was in a syllabus. Was the relevant wording in the syllabus for this class? for a different class? Had Loretta written the relevant syllabus? Had someone else? Does the word "compass" appear in the syllabus? Relevant that a compass is sometimes called "a pair of compasses"? Did the syllabus say "a pair of compasses", so you bought a second one, although you actually only needed one?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:49 pm

I'm confused - you said "no" when I asked if the wording of the syllabus was relevant, but now you said "yes" when asked if the relevant wording was in a syllabus. My bad. The first time, I didn't consider the list of supplies as part of the syllabus; the second time, I did. Take my second answer as correct. Apologies.

Was the relevant wording in the syllabus for this class? Yes for a different class? Had Loretta written the relevant syllabus? Yes Had someone else? Does the word "compass" appear in the syllabus? See below
Relevant that a compass is sometimes called "a pair of compasses"? Yes Did the syllabus say "a pair of compasses", so you bought a second one, although you actually only needed one? Yes!

****SPOILER****

My geometry professor Loretta is insistent about calling a compass "a pair of compasses," a term I had never heard before when receiving the syllabus for her class. Seeing "a pair of compasses" on the list of required supplies, I thought she meant two of that particular tool, so I bought two (and spent an extra $10 on the second) when I only needed one.

The week I posted the puzzle was the first time we used the compass in class, and when she explained her use of the term. At that point, I finally realized my error.

Well done!
Balin

Re: [Balin] Ten for the price of ten (*PAIRED OFF*)

Postby Doriana » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Hope you were able to sell the extra compass to a classmate who hadn't read the syllabus and didn't bring one at all :lol:
Doriana

Postby WiZ » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:49 pm

I wonder if she's related to the marketing exec behind this triumph.
WiZ

Postby Doriana » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:06 pm

They're probably both related to whoever came up with the brand name "Nimm 2" for candy, which literally means "Take 2"
Doriana

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles