[IrishElk] My Favorite

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IrishElk] My Favorite

Postby irishelk » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:02 pm

The murder was so shocking, the police incorrectly thought the killer was also an arsonist.

True story, possible quickie, no gory details required.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] My Favorite

Postby Earnest » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:25 am

to be sure: I am assuming that there is a murderer (HAM?) and a victim (HAM?HAF?...), right? And that the victim truly died due to the murderer's actions. I am also assuming that the police does not know the killer's identity. Am I correct?

The murder was so shocking --> did it happen for: electroshock? accident? burn? drowning? poisoning? explosion? gun shot? through a weapon (knife? sword? ax?)? mechanical manipulation? jumping from an height? war crimes?

the police incorrectly thought the killer was also an arsonist. --> were there evidences of a burn? Was the victim burned? was the body of the victim recognizable? Did police think that he/she was arsonist because of something they thought he/she did before the murder? During? After? Did he/she do it in reality? Did he/she do it to mask the murder? To cancel evidences? By accident?

the police incorrectly thought the killer was also an arsonist. --> does this influence the investigations? Did they look for the killer somewhere relevantly? did the police deduce it from the murder? Is the killer a serial killer? Did he kill a person? More people? If so, all in once? In different time slots? Did the murders have something in common? Something that led the police think about an arsonist as killer?

Are any of thee relevant: matches? fire extinguisher? cigarette? lighter? explosion? flames? fireplace? firemen? fireworks? flammable substances? chemistry? cookers/stove? oil? Halloween? wood?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:22 pm

Earnest

to be sure: I am assuming that there is a murderer (HAM?) HAUnknown =) and a victim (HAM?HAF?...), right? Several victims.And that the victim truly died due to the murderer's actions. Yes. I am also assuming that the police does not know the killer's identity. Am I correct? Yes.

The murder was so shocking --> did it happen for: electroshock? accident? burn? drowning? poisoning? explosion? gun shot? through a weapon (knife? sword? ax?This. )? mechanical manipulation? jumping from an height? war crimes?

the police incorrectly thought the killer was also an arsonist. --> were there evidences of a burn? Yes. Was the victim burned? No. was the body of the victim recognizable? Yes. Did police think that he/she was arsonist because of something they thought he/she did before the murder? During? After? Yes. Did he/she do it in reality? No. Did he/she do it to mask the murder? To cancel evidences? By accident?

the police incorrectly thought the killer was also an arsonist. --> does this influence the investigations? Irr. Did they look for the killer somewhere relevantly? No. did the police deduce it from the murder? Not directly. Is the killer a serial killer? Likely, yes, but irr. Did he kill a person? More people? Three in this case. If so, all in once? Yes. In different time slots? Did the murders have something in common? They were int he same time and place. Something that led the police think about an arsonist as killer?

Are any of thee relevant: matches? fire extinguisher? cigarette? lighter? explosion? Yope, DOYD. flames? Yes. fireplace? firemen? fireworks? flammable substances? Yes. chemistry? In a vague sense. cookers/stove? oil? Halloween? wood? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Ax: Lizzie Borden case?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:19 pm

Balin

Ax: Lizzie Borden case? Nope.
irishelk

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:26 pm

Did the killer intentionally burn the victim?
Would the victim have been burnt even if not murdered? Was the victim burnt before the murder?
Did the victim start a fire of some sort? Cooking involved?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:28 pm

Balin

Did the killer intentionally burn the victim? No.
Would the victim have been burnt even if not murdered? Was the victim burnt before the murder? No, FA.
Did the victim start a fire of some sort? No. Cooking involved? No.
irishelk

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:43 pm

Was the victim burnt at all?

You said there was evidence of a burn - at the murder scene? On the victim's body?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:55 pm

Balin

Was the victim burnt at all? No.

You said there was evidence of a burn - at the murder scene? Yes. On the victim's body? No.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:18 am

was something made to the victims by the murderer after having killed them? If so, to hide the traces/evidences? Did the murderer beheaded the victims? Broke their bodies up?
Were all three victims killed with the ax? Were they killed all at the same time? Was the ax grasped by the killer (or maybe it was part of a trap/engine)? Can the murder be called: a sacrifice? an offer? a revenge? a war act? a sentence? a jealousy act? a rob? an accident? others?

Interaction fire-gases/wisps relevant? Did someone leave the gas on?
Was a fire going on when the murder took place? Was it summer? was there a fire in the nearby?

Did the murder happen: in a private place(house?)? in a public place?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:42 pm

Are the several victims all human? Are any of them human?

Did the murderer actually intend to kill anyone?

Was the ax used to chop firewood? To chop a tree down? We’re the victims in the tree? Under it?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:40 pm

Earnest

was something made to the victims by the murderer after having killed them? If so, to hide the traces/evidences? Not relevantly.
Did the murderer beheaded the victims? Broke their bodies up? Irr.
Were all three victims killed with the ax? Were they killed all at the same time? Was the ax grasped by the killer (or maybe it was part of a trap/engine)? Yes to all, in fact, but completely irr.
Can the murder be called: a sacrifice? an offer? a revenge? a war act? a sentence? a jealousy act? a rob? an accident? others? Irr, as far as we know it was without a real motive.

Interaction fire-gases/wisps relevant? No. Did someone leave the gas on? No, good thought.
Was a fire going on when the murder took place? No. Was it summer? Irr. was there a fire in the nearby? No.

Did the murder happen: in a private place(house?)? Yes, the victims' home. in a public place?

trebor

Are the several victims all human? Yes. Are any of them human?

Did the murderer actually intend to kill anyone? Yes.

Was the ax used to chop firewood? To chop a tree down? We’re the victims in the tree? Under it? No to all.
irishelk

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:23 am

Was the house itself burnt? Was the evidence of the burn on or in the house?
Balin

Postby trebor » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:15 pm

Furnaces relevant? Did the ax cut anything other than (I’m assuming) people?
trebor

Postby wunderland » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:09 pm

Did somebody other than the murderer start a fire? intentionally?
wunderland

Postby irishelk » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:45 pm

Balin

Was the house itself burnt? No. Was the evidence of the burn on or in the house? Inside the house.

trebor

Furnaces relevant? No. Did the ax cut anything other than (I’m assuming) people? Not relevantly.

wunderland

Did somebody other than the murderer start a fire? Yes. intentionally? No, good q.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:58 pm

Did the fire start before the murders? After? During? Was it started by one of the victims? By another human? By an animal? Was it in a fireplace? On a candle? In the kitchen?
trebor

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles