[Doriana] Creature of habit (*REPAIRED*)

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] Creature of habit (*REPAIRED*)

Postby Doriana » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:42 pm

I usually do A around the same time every day. I either do B within an hour of doing A or more than 12 hours after doing A. Today, I did A an hour earlier than usual, and B five hours after A.

What are A and B and why did I not do them at the usual times today?

I = Doriana = H/A/F
Last edited by Doriana on Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] Creature of habit

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:41 pm

Sorry if I noticed...I see Location: Netherlands, while, if I remember correctly, it was Germany some time ago. Is it relevant?

Is timing relevant? I mean, can you do B before A? If so, it is logical to do so? (e.g. if A were jogging and B were doing the shower, you could do B before A but it would not make any sense) Do you carry on doing A around the same time every day today?
relevant at what time you do A usually? Same question for today, please. May I invoke the list of times? By night?

Are schedules relevant? timetables? time zones? technology? Skype calls? Charging batteries? Others?
Relevant why you changed habits? Did something relevant happened to you? Did you move? Did you end up the PhD thesis?

Is A about: health care? reading? playing music? go to a certain place? sport? COVID (e.g. a procedure that you have to do before entering the lab)? work place? Work in general? food (e.g. you have dinner (A) around the same time, then either you eat something after an hour or you have the next round of food at breakfast. Today, you had dinner one hour earlier which made you hungry 5 hours later)?
side effects relevant?

Does activity A last: more than 30 seconds? More than 2 minutes? More than 5 minutes? More than 1 hour? More than 3 hours? Did you need to do B after A? Or you could avoid? Do you need sunlight to do either A or B? Had you done B 3 hours or 5 hours after A in the past (i.e. before changing habit), would it have worked?
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:04 am

Sorry if I noticed...I see Location: Netherlands, while, if I remember correctly, it was Germany some time ago. Is it relevant? You are correct (I moved to the Netherlands two months ago, but didn't change it on the forum until recently), but this is not relevant to the puzzle

Is timing relevant? Yes I mean, can you do B before A? No If so, it is logical to do so? No, B after A is the logical order (e.g. if A were jogging and B were doing the shower, you could do B before A but it would not make any sense) Do you carry on doing A around the same time every day today? Not sure if I understand you correctly. I did it an our earlier yesterday, but I'm back to my usual pattern now
relevant at what time you do A usually? Somewhat Same question for today, please. May I invoke the list of times? I usually do A around 7:30 in the morning and did it at 6:30 a.m. yesterday By night? No

Are schedules relevant? timetables? time zones? technology? Skype calls? Charging batteries? Others? No to all
Relevant why you changed habits? This was a one-off thing, not a permanent change of habits Did something relevant happened to you? But yes, something relevant happened Did you move? Did you end up the PhD thesis? Irrel to rest

Is A about: health care? reading? playing music? go to a certain place? sport? COVID (e.g. a procedure that you have to do before entering the lab)? work place? Work in general? food (e.g. you have dinner (A) around the same time, then either you eat something after an hour or you have the next round of food at breakfast. Today, you had dinner one hour earlier which made you hungry 5 hours later)?
side effects relevant? No to all

Does activity A last: more than 30 seconds? 30 seconds or less More than 2 minutes? More than 5 minutes? More than 1 hour? More than 3 hours? Did you need to do B after A? No, but I wanted to do it Or you could avoid? I could if I wanted Do you need sunlight to do either A or B? No Had you done B 3 hours or 5 hours after A in the past (i.e. before changing habit), would it have worked? I could have done it, but I wouldn't have had a reason to
Doriana

Postby Earnest » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:41 am

Does A deal with your cat? do you do A at a relevant place? at home? if so, in a relevant room? bathroom? kitchen? bedroom? others?

I usually do A around 7:30 in the morning and did it at 6:30 a.m. yesterday --> do you come back to bed after having done A?

Does A involve an alarm? Something like A = stopping the alarm from ringing and B = washing your face/having a shower? Can A and B be classified as normal habits that a lot of people have?
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:30 am

Does A deal with your cat? No do you do A at a relevant place? at home? Yes to both if so, in a relevant room? bathroom? kitchen? bedroom? This others?

I usually do A around 7:30 in the morning and did it at 6:30 a.m. yesterday --> do you come back to bed after having done A? No

Does A involve an alarm? Yes Something like A = stopping the alarm from ringing and B = washing your face/having a shower? A involves turning off the alarm, and B is indeed taking a shower - well done! Can A and B be classified as normal habits that a lot of people have? Yes
Doriana

Postby Earnest » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:10 pm

A involves turning off the alarm, and B is indeed taking a shower - well done! --> super! so is A turning off the alarm? Waking up? stretching your arms? Checking the telephone after having turned off the alarm? Is A performed while turning off thee alarm? Before? After? Right after? having breakfast? Preparing breakfast? Is A performed lying on the bed?

To be sure: does A involve turning off a single alarm? Multiple alarms? Relevant?

Is the alarm on a digital clock? On the phone? Relevant? Is the phone relevantly charging? Are you already awaken when performing A? Is the alarm to wake you up? A google calendar alarm? A normal alarm? With a relevant music/noise/sound? I

Change in the habits, does it deal with: you having an appointment? Dd you have the time to take a shower that day? Would it be logical to take a shower that day? If not, because you decided to make sport soon after having waken up? Or maybe because you knew you would have sweat? Did you take the shower in your house 5 hours later the day you changed the habit? Did you perform A in your bedroom?
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:48 am

A involves turning off the alarm, and B is indeed taking a shower - well done! --> super! so is A turning off the alarm? Waking up? Turning off the alarm and waking up are both part of it stretching your arms? Could be part of it, but not necessarily Checking the telephone after having turned off the alarm? No Is A performed while turning off thee alarm? Before? After? Right after? Difficult to say. It starts before turning off the alarm, then involves turning off the alarm, and is completed shortly after having breakfast? Preparing breakfast? Is A performed lying on the bed? No to rest

To be sure: does A involve turning off a single alarm? This Multiple alarms? Relevant? Not really

Is the alarm on a digital clock? On the phone? Relevant? Irrel Is the phone relevantly charging? No Are you already awaken when performing A? Yope Is the alarm to wake you up? Yes A google calendar alarm? A normal alarm? This With a relevant music/noise/sound? Irrel

Change in the habits, does it deal with: you having an appointment? Yesish Dd you have the time to take a shower that day? Yes Would it be logical to take a shower that day? Yes If not, because you decided to make sport soon after having waken up? Or maybe because you knew you would have sweat? n/a to these Did you take the shower in your house 5 hours later the day you changed the habit? Did you perform A in your bedroom? Yes to both
Doriana

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:26 am

Do you hit the snooze button? Set a second alarm? Do you have multiple alarms set?
Balin

Postby Doriana » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:50 pm

Do you hit the snooze button? Set a second alarm? Do you have multiple alarms set? No/irrel to all
Doriana

Postby wunderland » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:07 pm

Is A getting out of bed?
When you did A an hour earlier than usual, did you already know that you would also shower at an unusual time that day?
wunderland

Postby Doriana » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Is A getting out of bed? Yes
When you did A an hour earlier than usual, did you already know that you would also shower at an unusual time that day? No, but I strongly suspected it
Doriana

Postby Earnest » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:00 am

To be sure: assuming that you usually do B after 1 hour that you woke up, "5 hours later than A" means de facto 2 hours after the usual time right? Before lunch? Relevant? Were you in a rush?

Today, I did A an hour earlier than usual, and B five hours after A. --> did you woke up an hour earlier then go out of your house and had a shower after coming back? Had you waken up at the usual time, would you have missed something? Did you set the alarm in order to wake up an hour earlier? Or maybe something unexpected awaken you? The bell ringing? The phone ringing?

In waking up one hour earlier did you simply anticipate all your usual every day things to do (except for the shower)? Was your "to do list" for that day the same of thee other days except for a single thing? Except for many other things? Was that day a special day? Birthday of someone? Your birthday? An holiday? A national festivity? Simply a Sunday? Was weather relevant that day?

Did you have to meet with someone else? Did you have to go to work earlier? Did you have to catch a public mean of transport?

Did you take the shower as soon as you could (which happened to be 5 hours later)? At your home? Were you soiled/dirty? Or we can assume that you simply done it as part of your habits? Were you asked to take a shower? Or maybe you took a metaphorical shower (i.e. it rained a lot and you went to work by feet)? Do you usually take the shower either 1 hour after A or 12 hours after A because in the meantime you are at work? If so, was it the case the day of the exception (I mean were you at work that day?)? Or maybe there was a strike/something that prevented you from going?

Did you take a cold shower? Hot one? Is any medical/health related reason involved here?
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:10 pm

To be sure: assuming that you usually do B after 1 hour that you woke up, "5 hours later than A" means de facto 2 hours after the usual time right? Not quite. For clarification: I usually do A (get out of bed) around 7:30 and B (take a shower) sometime between 7:30 and 8:30. That day, I got up at 6:30 and took a shower five hours after that, i.e. around 11:30 Before lunch? Yes Relevant? No Were you in a rush? No

Today, I did A an hour earlier than usual, and B five hours after A. --> did you woke up an hour earlier then go out of your house and had a shower after coming back? No Had you waken up at the usual time, would you have missed something? Maybe, explore Did you set the alarm in order to wake up an hour earlier? Yes Or maybe something unexpected awaken you? The bell ringing? The phone ringing? So, no to rest

In waking up one hour earlier did you simply anticipate all your usual every day things to do (except for the shower)? See next Was your "to do list" for that day the same of thee other days except for a single thing? Yes, there was one extra thing Except for many other things? No Was that day a special day? Birthday of someone? Your birthday? An holiday? A national festivity? No to these Simply a Sunday? No, it was a weekday Was weather relevant that day? No

Did you have to meet with someone else? Yesish Did you have to go to work earlier? No, FA - see below Did you have to catch a public mean of transport? No

Did you take the shower as soon as you could (which happened to be 5 hours later)? I could have taken a shower earlier, but there were two reasons why I didn't At your home? Yes Were you soiled/dirty? No Or we can assume that you simply done it as part of your habits? Yes Were you asked to take a shower? No Or maybe you took a metaphorical shower (i.e. it rained a lot and you went to work by feet)? No Do you usually take the shower either 1 hour after A or 12 hours after A because in the meantime you are at work? Yesish If so, was it the case the day of the exception (I mean were you at work that day?)? I was working, but not at work Or maybe there was a strike/something that prevented you from going? No

Did you take a cold shower? Hot one? This Is any medical/health related reason involved here? No

Quick RECAP: The other day, I got up at 6:30 (instead of 7:30) and took a hot shower at 11:30 (instead of in the morning or at night). There was one extra thing on my to-do list that day that involved yesishly meeting with someone. I could have taken a shower earlier, but had two reasons not to.
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:41 pm

If you'd taken the shower earlier, would you have to retake it later? Were you going to do something that'd get you sweaty? Dirty? Smelly? Relevant that the shower is hot? Or would any shower for the purpose of cleaning yourself do?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:15 pm

There was one extra thing on my to-do list that day that involved yesishly meeting with someone. --> meeting face to face? On the PC? Skype calls-meeting relevant?

I could have taken a shower earlier, but there were two reasons why I didn't --> is one of the reasons the yessishly meeting? Is a reason why you could not that you need to interact with someone? That you had to pay attention to something? Possibly intervene/answer questions? That you waited for someone (e.g. a package to arrive from Amazon)? Or maybe that you should be ready for something (e.g. a you were phoning a switchboard and be ready when your turn arrived)
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:05 pm

If you'd taken the shower earlier, would you have to retake it later? No Were you going to do something that'd get you sweaty? Dirty? Smelly? No to all Relevant that the shower is hot? Somewhat Or would any shower for the purpose of cleaning yourself do? No, and explore

There was one extra thing on my to-do list that day that involved yesishly meeting with someone. --> meeting face to face? This On the PC? Skype calls-meeting relevant?

I could have taken a shower earlier, but there were two reasons why I didn't --> is one of the reasons the yessishly meeting? Yes, but the other reason is also related to the meeting Is a reason why you could not that you need to interact with someone? Yes That you had to pay attention to something? Yope Possibly intervene/answer questions? No That you waited for someone (e.g. a package to arrive from Amazon)? YES (not Amazon though, but somewhat OTRT) Or maybe that you should be ready for something (e.g. a you were phoning a switchboard and be ready when your turn arrived) No
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:48 am

Did you have to wait for the water heater to get hot? Could you have taken a cold shower earlier, but not a hot one? Were you waiting for a plumber? A pipe part? Something else related to the water/shower system?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:23 am

Did you have to wait for the water heater to get hot? In a sense, see next answers Could you have taken a cold shower earlier, but not a hot one? Yes Were you waiting for a plumber? YES A pipe part? Something else related to the water/shower system? No to these

Left to find out: Why did I get up earlier than usual?
Doriana

Postby Earnest » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:20 am

Why did I get up earlier than usual? --> does it deal with the reason why you called the plumber? Did you have only extremely cold water? Did you call the plumber the same morning (i.e. did you know in advance that you needed a plumber or you only knew that there was something wrong and then realized that a plumber was needed)? Dd you already set an appointment with the plumber in previous days? Did you know at which time he/she could have come? If not, could he have arrived also at 7:30 a.m. relevantly? Did you know in advance when you could have taken an hot shower? Did something get broken? If so, the same morning? The night before? Any time schedule relevant?
Did something got caught in a pipe? Did something happen to your neighbors which involved also your apartment? Sunrise/sun light relevant? Relevant at which time you went to bed the night before?

To be sure: you programmed to wake up at 6.30 a.m. right? If so, the night before? During the night? Did you take the decision to change your habits early before 6.30 a.m.? 2 hours or so? Or maybe days before?

Did you wake up an hour earlier because you wanted to try if something worked? Did you wake up earlier because you had to turn on/off something (a part from the alarm)? Because of something draining off?
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:56 pm

Why did I get up earlier than usual? --> does it deal with the reason why you called the plumber? Yes Did you have only extremely cold water? Yes Did you call the plumber the same morning (i.e. did you know in advance that you needed a plumber or you only knew that there was something wrong and then realized that a plumber was needed)? Dd you already set an appointment with the plumber in previous days? I called the day before Did you know at which time he/she could have come? NO If not, could he have arrived also at 7:30 a.m. relevantly? Yes Did you know in advance when you could have taken an hot shower? No Did something get broken? Yes If so, the same morning? The night before? The day before Any time schedule relevant?
Did something got caught in a pipe? Did something happen to your neighbors which involved also your apartment? Sunrise/sun light relevant? Relevant at which time you went to bed the night before?

To be sure: you programmed to wake up at 6.30 a.m. right? If so, the night before? This During the night? Did you take the decision to change your habits early before 6.30 a.m.? 2 hours or so? Or maybe days before?

Did you wake up an hour earlier because you wanted to try if something worked? Did you wake up earlier because you had to turn on/off something (a part from the alarm)? Because of something draining off? No/irrel to rest

********SPOILER********

The other day, the heating and warm water in my apartment weren't working. When I called customer service, they told me they would send out a technician the next day, but couldn't tell me when exactly. Knowing that they usually start their work days earlier than me, I got up at 6:30, an hour earlier than usual. I didn't want to miss the technician ringing the doorbell and didn't feel like taking a cold shower in the first place, so I delayed my shower until after it was repaired, which was at 11:30.
Doriana

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles