[Doriana] Are scrunds still a thing?

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] Are scrunds still a thing?

Postby Doriana » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:07 pm

I used to have a scrund about a certain medical device. My scrund was corrected thanks to something I learnt as part of my PhD, but my PhD topic has nothing to do with the medical device. What's the scrund and how did I get rid of it?

There hasn't been a scrund puzzle in a while, so newer members might not be familiar with them. "Scrund" is just LTPF lingo for a false belief, and scrund puzzles used to be quite popular back when I first joined the forum (ten years ago!).
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] Are scrunds still a thing?

Postby wunderland » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:30 pm

Is it a diagnostic device? A therapeutic device?
Is it normally used by a doctor? A nurse? A surgeon? A patient?
Is it an outdated or historical device? Or one still in use today?
Did your scrund relate to how it functions? How it is used? How effective it is?
wunderland

Postby Doriana » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:36 pm

Is it a diagnostic device? This A therapeutic device?
Is it normally used by a doctor? A nurse? This, I think A surgeon? A patient?
Is it an outdated or historical device? No Or one still in use today? So, yes
Did your scrund relate to how it functions? This How it is used? How effective it is?
Doriana

Postby TDGperson » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:10 pm

Is the diagnostic device used to diagnose a specific kind of disease? If so, is it life-threatening usually?

Was the device invented after 1900?

Is your PhD topic related to science? If so, astronomy? chemistry? biology? physics? psychology? sociology?
TDGperson

Postby GalFisk » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:46 am

Does the device use: sound? Pressure? Electricity? Mechanical force? Air? Liquid? Needle(s)? Radiation? Heat? Cold? Does it contain medication? Other relevant substances? Is it handheld? Is it a measuring device? Is it used on humans? Animals? Objects? Does it have uses besides medical diagnostics? Relevant what caused the scrund? Was the scrund about how it worked? How it was used? What it could diagnose? How it was made? Its cost? Is it costly? Difficult to make?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:29 am

TDGperson
Is the diagnostic device used to diagnose a specific kind of disease? No If so, is it life-threatening usually? But it can indicate something life-threatening

Was the device invented after 1900? Yes

Is your PhD topic related to science? Yes If so, astronomy? chemistry? biology? physics? psychology? This sociology?

GalFisk
Does the device use: sound? Pressure? Electricity? This, and something else Mechanical force? Air? Liquid? Needle(s)? Radiation? Heat? Cold? Does it contain medication? Other relevant substances? No to these Is it handheld? Yope Is it a measuring device? Yes Is it used on humans? Yes Animals? A similar device is also used on animals Objects? No Does it have uses besides medical diagnostics? Irrel / I don't know Relevant what caused the scrund? No Was the scrund about how it worked? Yes How it was used? What it could diagnose? How it was made? Its cost? No to rest Is it costly? Difficult to make? No (but largely irrel) to both
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:47 am

Does it, in addition to electricity, use: light? Sound? Ultrasound? Optics? Laser? Radio waves? Microwaves? Some other physics phenomenon?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:43 am

Does it, in addition to electricity, use: light? This Sound? Ultrasound? Optics? Laser? Radio waves? Microwaves? Some other physics phenomenon?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:48 am

Does it use something relevant besides electricity and light? Does it measure something? Illuminate something? Shine through something? Heat something? Does the light hit a person? A surface? An eye? Is the device used on any part of the body? On a specific part? On the head? Eyes? Ears? Nose? Mouth?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:54 am

Does it use something relevant besides electricity and light? No Does it measure something? Yes Illuminate something? No Shine through something? Yesish Heat something? No Does the light hit a person? Yes A surface? A surface on a person, yes An eye? Is the device used on any part of the body? On a specific part? This On the head? Eyes? Ears? Nose? Mouth? But none of these
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:08 am

Is it used on the skin? Nails? Mucous membranes? Inside? Does it measure light absorption? Pigmentation? Blood flow? Pulse? Blood oxygen? Is it a pulse oximeter?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:52 pm

Is it used on the skin? Nails? Mucous membranes? Inside? Does it measure light absorption? Pigmentation? Blood flow? Pulse? Blood oxygen? Skipping these because... Is it a pulse oximeter? ...it's this!
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:41 pm

Did you have a scrund about: the way it uses electricity? The way it uses light? What it measures? How it measures?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:30 am

Did you have a scrund about: the way it uses electricity? The way it uses light? This What it measures? How it measures? and this
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:45 pm

Did you think it didn't use light at all? Used a different light source than it did? Different wavelength(s)? That the light took a different path? That it was detected in a different way?
GalFisk

Postby TDGperson » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:31 am

Is the "blood is blue" misconception relevant? Did you think blood was a different color than it usually is?
TDGperson

Postby Doriana » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:57 am

Did you think it didn't use light at all? Yope Used a different light source than it did? No Different wavelength(s)? No That the light took a different path? No, potential FA That it was detected in a different way? Same FA

Is the "blood is blue" misconception relevant? Did you think blood was a different color than it usually is? No to both
Doriana

Postby Doriana » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:48 pm

RECAP / HINT: I had a scrund about pulse oximeters and the way they use light. The scrund related to what the light does in a pulse oximeter. No detailed knowledge of pulse oximeters is needed to solve this puzzle.
Doriana

Postby raevenclaw » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:52 am

did you use a pulse oximeter when obtaining your PhD? and in doing so correct the scrund? or was the scrund corrected in another way?

did you think the light measures one thing, like pulse, when it in fact measures both? or think it measures one thing when it measures the other?
not entirely sure how pulse oximeters work myself, so maybe i’ll have the same scrund corrected!
raevenclaw

Postby AlbatrossLover » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:59 pm

Did you think the light wasn't used for the measurements? That it was simply used to signal that the device works? To indicate the results?
AlbatrossLover

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles