[klondike mary] inappropriate behavior

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[klondike mary] inappropriate behavior

Postby klondike mary » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:26 pm

(Many of my puzzles are autobiographical, or about members of my family or friends (Yes, I do have some strange friends.) This puzzle is not in one of those categories. In fact, it concerns two very famous people - icons of their centuries - and the seemingly inappropriate remarks of one of them.)

The first time might have been mere thoughtlessness. The second incident was quite inappropriate, under the circumstances.
klondike mary

Re: [klondike mary] inappropriate behavior

Postby TDGperson » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:11 am

First time : that an action is performed? An event happening? A certain state of being? Second time: the same as the first?

Is the action something done to another person? Some kind of performance? Something said to a wide audience?
TDGperson

Postby klondike mary » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:15 am

First time : that an action is performed? An event happening? both yessish/yope A certain state of being? No. Second time: the same as the first? Different occasion, but same people involved.

Is the action something done to another person? Some kind of performance? Something said to a wide audience? More 'something said' in both cases, but not to a wide audience.
TDGperson
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:55 am

Is someone acting inappropriately? a HAF? HAM? someone saying something in public? To someone? Referring to himself? Did he/she say something that sounded racist? Vulgar? Against a minority? Sexist? Homophobic? Indiscrete? Violating the privacy of someone? Embarrassing?

Did someone hear what he/she said? If so: more than a person? did he/she intends that the person heard what he/she said (e.g. her/she left the microphone on)
Does "doing it for the second time" denote that he/she made it intentionally? That he/she truly think something about someone?

Is it something like asking "Can you hear me?" to a deaf person? Or "Can you see the video?" to a blind person?
Does the second time happen right after the first time? hours later? minutes later? days later? weeks later?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:06 pm

Is someone acting inappropriately? a HAF? HAM? One of the parties is a HAM. It might seem as if he was saying something inappropriate to the other person, a HAF. someone saying something in public? To someone? To someone, not necessarily in public.Referring to himself? No.Did he/she say something that sounded racist? Vulgar? Against a minority? Sexist? Homophobic? Indiscrete? Violating the privacy of someone? Embarrassing?This more than any of the others, though probably more embarassing to the person who said it

Did someone hear what he/she said? If so: more than a person? did he/she intends that the person heard what he/she said (e.g. her/she left the microphone on) All n.r.
Does "doing it for the second time" denote that he/she made it intentionally? That he/she truly think something about someone?No. To clarify: there were two different 'insensitive' remarks made, each unrelated to the subject of the other.

Is it something like asking "Can you hear me?" to a deaf person? Or "Can you see the video?" to a blind person? VERY like.
Does the second time happen right after the first time? No.hours later? minutes later? days later? weeks later? No to this also. Somewhere in between.
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:05 pm

Is the second inappropriate because he should have learned from the first time?
JenBurdoo

Postby klondike mary » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:24 am

Is the second inappropriate because he should have learned from the first time? No. The subjects of the two incidents are entirely unrelated.
JenBurdoo
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:44 am

This more than any of the others, though probably more embarassing to the person who said it --> something like a marriage proposal? Or a declaration (e.g. I like you/ I like to have sex with you)? Something sexual? Relevant that the HAM said to an HAF? or could have been an HAM? Is change of sex relevant? Being homosexual? Physical aspect relevant? Are restaurants relevant? (e.g. she was masculine and the HAM first did not serve her first which might have been thoughtlessness. When a a diner let him notice the mistake by saying "Sorry, ladies' first" he replied "Well there are no ladies at the table")

Is it something like asking "Can you hear me?" to a deaf person? Or "Can you see the video?" to a blind person? VERY like --> so...does she have a relevant handicap? Etiquette relevant? Social rules involving women?

Is their job relevant? Is being naked relevant?
Earnest

Postby JenBurdoo » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:26 am

Is it something like asking "Can you hear me?" to a deaf person? Or "Can you see the video?" to a blind person? VERY like --> so...does she have relevant knowledge, training, or lack of same? Languages spoken relevant? Membership in a group?
JenBurdoo

Postby klondike mary » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:39 pm

This more than any of the others, though probably more embarassing to the person who said it --> something like a marriage proposal? Or a declaration (e.g. I like you/ I like to have sex with you)? Something sexual? Relevant that the HAM said to an HAF? or could have been an HAM? Is change of sex relevant? Being homosexual? Physical aspect relevant? Are restaurants relevant? (e.g. she was masculine and the HAM first did not serve her first which might have been thoughtlessness. When a a diner let him notice the mistake by saying "Sorry, ladies' first" he replied "Well there are no ladies at the table")All of this is n.r.

Is it something like asking "Can you hear me?" to a deaf person? Or "Can you see the video?" to a blind person? VERY like --> so...does she have a relevant handicap? YES Etiquette relevant? Social rules involving women? yessish

Is their job relevant? Is being naked relevant? No to both.
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:41 pm

Is it something like asking "Can you hear me?" to a deaf person? Or "Can you see the video?" to a blind person? VERY like --> so...does she have relevant knowledge, training, yes to these. or lack of same? Languages spoken relevant? Yope, leaning to noish. Membership in a group? No.
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:27 pm

does she have a relevant handicap? YES --> was she blind? Deaf? Without an arm? She could not walk? She had Touret syndrome? Involuntary spasms (e.g. he asked to take the microphone but she was unable since she had spasms)? Nervous tics? Is it a physical handicaps? Mental? Short memory? Something related relevantly to: movements? Hands? Face? Voice (e.g. she had a strange tone and he laughed)? Was she unable to do a simple action due to her handicap? Standing up? talk properly? Pronounce certain words? Maybe she could communicate only by writing and she was interacting with other people? If so, did he simply not notice that she wanted to say something? Ask someone else to talk in her behalf to speed up?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:13 pm

does she have a relevant handicap? YES --> was she blind? Yes. Deaf?Yes. Without an arm? She could not walk? She had Touret syndrome? Involuntary spasms (e.g. he asked to take the microphone but she was unable since she had spasms)? Nervous tics? Is it a physical handicaps? Mental? Short memory? Something related relevantly to: movements? Hands? Face? Voice (e.g. she had a strange tone and he laughed)? Was she unable to do a simple action due to her handicap? Standing up? talk properly? Pronounce certain words? Maybe she could communicate only by writing and she was interacting with other people? If so, did he simply not notice that she wanted to say something? Ask someone else to talk in her behalf to speed up? No or n.r. to everything else.
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby JenBurdoo » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:45 am

Was the HAF Helen Keller? And this is an interaction she had with someone else?

The first time he was embarrassed because he hadn't met her before? And the second time he should have known better?
JenBurdoo

Postby klondike mary » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:02 am

Was the HAF Helen Keller? And this is an interaction she had with someone else? YES to both.

The first time he was embarrassed because he hadn't met her before? They had met before. And the second time he should have known better? N.r. I think a search engine may be allowed at this point.
JenBurdoo
klondike mary

Postby JenBurdoo » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:38 pm

Sexism relevant? The plagiarism accusation?
JenBurdoo

Postby klondike mary » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:25 pm

Sexism relevant?One of the remarks might have been considered sexist, or at least inappropriate to address to a woman. The plagiarism accusation? No.
JenBurdoo
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:55 pm

*****************SPOILER*************
This is half-solved, so I am going to finish it off.
The other person in the puzzle is author Mark Twain, who was a sort of mentor of Helen Keller. When she visited him at his home, she asked him to read one of his short stories to her, explaining that Anne Sullivan would translate by signing into her hand as he spoke, at which he exclaimed impulsively, "I thought you would lip-read." Which she did, in a manner of speaking, by placing her other hand on the face and mouth of the speaker.
Later, when he saw her to her room, he told her, through Ms. Sullivan, that there was a hot-water bottle in her bathroom full of whiskey and one of brandy, which was an inappropriate thing to say to a well-brought up young lady at the time (1909). But Helen Keller realized he was 'joshing' and she related the incident in her autobiography, with obvious affection.
klondike mary

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles