[CoffeeBean] I May Not Heart New York

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[CoffeeBean] I May Not Heart New York

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:10 pm

If only one man had asked the question, it might be possible for a woman to still sing and dance in New York City.
CoffeeBean

Re: [CoffeeBean] I May Not Heart New York

Postby irishelk » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:07 pm

A particular woman? Women in general? If the former, is it a famous woman? Is a law relevant? Buskers involved? Burlesque/strip acts?

Is a woman not allowed to do a particular song and dance in NYC? Is she not allowed in NYC at all? Is she not allowed to sing and dance at all? Or not able to do any of the above? Is she dead?

Is it one particular man who should have/would have asked the question? Could it be one of several men? Any man? Relevant that it would be one man and not another gender?
irishelk

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:14 pm

A particular woman? Maybe Women in general? More likely this
If the former, is it a famous woman? Likely, yes, but doesn't have to be the case Is a law relevant? Yes
Buskers involved? Burlesque/strip acts? No

Is a woman not allowed to do a particular song and dance in NYC? No, not this
Is she not allowed in NYC at all? No, not this Is she not allowed to sing and dance at all? No, not this
Or not able to do any of the above? Is she dead? No and FA here

Is it one particular man who should have/would have asked the question? No, it could be anyone
Could it be one of several men? Yes, or... Any man? ...this (but other possibilities too)
Relevant that it would be one man and not another gender? No, it could be any number of people and they could be male or female
CoffeeBean

Postby Mimino » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:19 pm

Is there a famous quotation that implies that a woman can no longer sing and dance in New York? Maybe a quotation from a song?
Mimino

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:57 pm

Is there a famous quotation that implies that a woman can no longer sing and dance in New York? Maybe a quotation from a song? No
CoffeeBean

Postby Sundowner » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:49 pm

Is there a law that forbids women (some women?) to sing? and dance? in New York City? always? on some days? in some situations? allows singing? dancing? only under very strict preconditions?
Is this law generally known? enforced?
Was the law made to prevent women from singing and dancing in NYC? or is it just so weird and contradictory that, if strictly followed, singing and dancing would be illegal?
Was it a sensible law at the time when it was made?
Sundowner

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:32 pm

Is there a law that forbids women (some women?) to sing? and dance? in New York City? Yes... always? ...no, it's only... on some days? ...this, and...in some situations? ...this.
allows singing? Yes, and... dancing? ...this, and... only under very strict preconditions? ...this as well.
Is this law generally known? enforced? It is very likely that one certain type of people know about the law, or are more likely to find out about it than others.
Was the law made to prevent women from singing and dancing in NYC? No, these are involved but the law prevents something else (see above questions)
or is it just so weird and contradictory that, if strictly followed, singing and dancing would be illegal? No, there is something besides just singing and dancing that is address by the law
Was it a sensible law at the time when it was made? Yes

Very good group of q's!
CoffeeBean

Postby Mimino » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:14 am

The something else addressed by the law: noise? people gathering? partying? being outdoors? visiting pubs, bars, theatres, ..? being outdoors after midnight? drinking alcohol? driving drunk? betting? gambling? street crime?
Was the law made during war time?
Was the idea of the law that women better stay at home during some days? in some situations? for their own health and safety?
One man had asked the question: to a woman? to a specific person? to each women the question should have been asked? by a man?
Ask the question as in marriage proposal? does the law only apply to unmarried women?
Or, rather, ask the question as in challenging the law? which would lead to the law being cancelled?
Mimino

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles