[CoffeeBean] I May Not Heart New York

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[CoffeeBean] I May Not Heart New York

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:10 pm

If only one man had asked the question, it might be possible for a woman to still sing and dance in New York City.
CoffeeBean

Re: [CoffeeBean] I May Not Heart New York

Postby irishelk » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:07 pm

A particular woman? Women in general? If the former, is it a famous woman? Is a law relevant? Buskers involved? Burlesque/strip acts?

Is a woman not allowed to do a particular song and dance in NYC? Is she not allowed in NYC at all? Is she not allowed to sing and dance at all? Or not able to do any of the above? Is she dead?

Is it one particular man who should have/would have asked the question? Could it be one of several men? Any man? Relevant that it would be one man and not another gender?
irishelk

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:14 pm

A particular woman? Maybe Women in general? More likely this
If the former, is it a famous woman? Likely, yes, but doesn't have to be the case Is a law relevant? Yes
Buskers involved? Burlesque/strip acts? No

Is a woman not allowed to do a particular song and dance in NYC? No, not this
Is she not allowed in NYC at all? No, not this Is she not allowed to sing and dance at all? No, not this
Or not able to do any of the above? Is she dead? No and FA here

Is it one particular man who should have/would have asked the question? No, it could be anyone
Could it be one of several men? Yes, or... Any man? ...this (but other possibilities too)
Relevant that it would be one man and not another gender? No, it could be any number of people and they could be male or female
CoffeeBean

Postby Mimino » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:19 pm

Is there a famous quotation that implies that a woman can no longer sing and dance in New York? Maybe a quotation from a song?
Mimino

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:57 pm

Is there a famous quotation that implies that a woman can no longer sing and dance in New York? Maybe a quotation from a song? No
CoffeeBean

Postby Sundowner » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:49 pm

Is there a law that forbids women (some women?) to sing? and dance? in New York City? always? on some days? in some situations? allows singing? dancing? only under very strict preconditions?
Is this law generally known? enforced?
Was the law made to prevent women from singing and dancing in NYC? or is it just so weird and contradictory that, if strictly followed, singing and dancing would be illegal?
Was it a sensible law at the time when it was made?
Sundowner

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:32 pm

Is there a law that forbids women (some women?) to sing? and dance? in New York City? Yes... always? ...no, it's only... on some days? ...this, and...in some situations? ...this.
allows singing? Yes, and... dancing? ...this, and... only under very strict preconditions? ...this as well.
Is this law generally known? enforced? It is very likely that one certain type of people know about the law, or are more likely to find out about it than others.
Was the law made to prevent women from singing and dancing in NYC? No, these are involved but the law prevents something else (see above questions)
or is it just so weird and contradictory that, if strictly followed, singing and dancing would be illegal? No, there is something besides just singing and dancing that is address by the law
Was it a sensible law at the time when it was made? Yes

Very good group of q's!
CoffeeBean

Postby Mimino » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:14 am

The something else addressed by the law: noise? people gathering? partying? being outdoors? visiting pubs, bars, theatres, ..? being outdoors after midnight? drinking alcohol? driving drunk? betting? gambling? street crime?
Was the law made during war time?
Was the idea of the law that women better stay at home during some days? in some situations? for their own health and safety?
One man had asked the question: to a woman? to a specific person? to each women the question should have been asked? by a man?
Ask the question as in marriage proposal? does the law only apply to unmarried women?
Or, rather, ask the question as in challenging the law? which would lead to the law being cancelled?
Mimino

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:56 pm

The something else addressed by the law: noise? people gathering? partying? being outdoors? People gathering and being outdoors are indirectly related to the law visiting pubs, bars, theatres, ..? being outdoors after midnight? drinking alcohol? driving drunk? betting? gambling? street crime? None of this is related
Was the law made during war time? No
Was the idea of the law that women better stay at home during some days? in some situations? for their own health and safety? No to these
One man had asked the question: to a woman? to a specific person? Yes, this to each women the question should have been asked? FA
by a man? Possibly but didn't have to be
Ask the question as in marriage proposal? does the law only apply to unmarried women? No to these
Or, rather, ask the question as in challenging the law? which would lead to the law being cancelled? No to these
CoffeeBean

Postby Earnest » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:47 pm

Is the question directly asked to the woman/women? Is the question simply "is there a group of women who can sing?" and the man was the owner of a famous pub?
Its the man a politician? Would the man have to ask the question to someone in particular? To himself? Written the question down?

sing and dance in New York City. --> in certain pubs? On stage? Publicly? Everywhere? Relevant?

Is Footloose involved?
Is the law directly related to dancing and singing? Or maybe to the way women dress/move when singing/dancing? Is only a certain types of dancing/singing forbidden? Any type? Is it forbidden always? Only in certain hours of the day?

Spies involved here? Could the law be considered a "security law"? A law to keep someone protected? A law that avoids exchanges of info? A law that avoids potentially risky situation? For women? For people in general?
Earnest

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:10 pm

Is the question directly asked Yes to the woman/women? In some cases, yes
Is the question simply "is there a group of women who can sing?" and the man was the owner of a famous pub? No, this is not the case
Its the man a politician? No Would the man have to ask the question to someone in particular? Yes
To himself? No Written the question down? No, the question would have been spoken

sing and dance in New York City. --> in certain pubs? On stage? This-ish, and... Publicly? ...this. Everywhere? No Relevant? Yes, the location and another aspect are both relevant

Is Footloose involved? No
Is the law directly related to dancing and singing? Yes but not primarily
Or maybe to the way women dress/move when singing/dancing? No it has nothing to do with this
Is only a certain types of dancing/singing forbidden? No, the law does not forbid dancing or singing Any type?
Is it forbidden always? Not always, no, but explore Only in certain hours of the day? The law does not make any restrictions regarding time

Spies involved here? No Could the law be considered a "security law"? No
A law to keep someone protected? No A law that avoids exchanges of info? No
A law that avoids potentially risky situation? Yes For women? For people in general? Yes, this
CoffeeBean

Postby markobr » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:41 pm

Does the law also prevent men from singing and/or dancing? Is the law directly related to public appearances? To making noise? To distract people from something? To work conditions? Safety? Contracts? Taxes? Zoning?

Does the law affect some specific genre of music more than others? Of dance? Relevant whether the woman performs as a soloist?
markobr

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:09 pm

Does the law also prevent men from singing and/or dancing? Yes - but something else is involved (keep reading)
Is the law directly related to public appearances? Yes, one aspect of the law deals with this To making noise? No To distract people from something? Yes, this is addressed by the law as well To work conditions? No Safety? Yes, this is addressed by the law as well Contracts? Taxes? Zoning? No to these

Does the law affect some specific genre of music more than others? Of dance? No, it would apply to any type of music and/or dance
Relevant whether the woman performs as a soloist? No. The in the real life situation that led to the law there was only one woman performing, but it could just as easily have been a group, band, etc. - good question
CoffeeBean

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles