[klondike mary] Affliction

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[klondike mary] Affliction

Postby klondike mary » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:10 pm

Because of pain and suffering in the past, I am better able to sleep nights during this crisis.
klondike mary

Re: [klondike mary] Affliction

Postby trebor » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:25 pm

Pain and suffering: yours? Physical? Mental? Emotional?

This crisis = COVID? The Texas weather/pipes/heat situation? (You’re in Texas, right? If so, I hope you’re safe and warm.) Another crisis?

Does this have anything to do with repairs done to your house? To your property? To public services?

“In the past” = over a year ago? Five years? Ten? Did you have to leave Texas for some reason, and can sleep better not being there anymore? Or maybe something sent you back to Texas, and you can sleep easier being around family and knowing they’re safe?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:00 pm

Pain and suffering: yours? Yes Physical? Mostly Mental?A bit. Emotional?

This crisis = COVID? The Texas weather/pipes/heat situation? THIS.(You’re in Texas, right? If so, I hope you’re safe and warm.) Another crisis? I was without water for a few hours, but thankfully had electricity & heat. I shouldn't complain about winter weather around you, trebor!

Does this have anything to do with repairs done to your house? To your property? No to both. To public services? No.

“In the past” = over a year ago? Five years? Ten? Over a period of about 20 years. Did you have to leave Texas for some reason, and can sleep better not being there anymore? Or maybe something sent you back to Texas, and you can sleep easier being around family and knowing they’re safe? No to both. I haven't left.
klondike mary

Postby GalFisk » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:10 pm

Better sleep: less worry? More comfort? Ability to sleep in worse conditions? Sleepiness? A trick to falling asleep? A substance/medicine?
GalFisk

Postby klondike mary » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:07 pm

Better sleep: less worry? More comfort? This Ability to sleep in worse conditions? thissish, also.[Sleepiness? A trick to falling asleep? Yes, one of those "one easy tricks. ; )" A substance/medicine? all others no or n.r.
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:13 pm

Winter started in November with a blizzard on the 8th or 9th that dumped over a foot of snow on the city. A couple weeks ago we were at minus 50 Celsius with the wind chill. I’ll admit to being a bit bemused when southerners panic at what we’d call mild conditions. However, I need to be reminded when that happens that infrastructure is not the same as here, where this happens annually. Like, for pipes not be be insulated and homes not to be protected against winter weather is just unthinkable to me. So yes, it’s been much colder, but I’ve never had to worry about freezing to death in my own home. Or having to boil water for days. Or pay thousands for electricity.

Does the trick have to do with breathing? Counting? Mindfulness? Tiring yourself out? Lights? Electronics? Sound machines? A partner? A physical object?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:16 pm

Does the trick have to do with breathing? Counting? Mindfulness? Tiring yourself out? Lights? Electronics? Sound machines? A partner? A physical object? or objects, yes. All others, no.trebor

I was in no danger of freezing,. Where I am - 100 miles south of Houston - we have snow twice in the last 20 years, but pipes did not freeze then. This time, just a frost on the ground. I just don't understand Texas weather, and I have lived here since I was 2 y.o.!
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:00 pm

Hint: Tiger Woods
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:35 am

Is golf relevant? Philandering? A car crash?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:56 pm

Is golf relevant? Philandering? A car crash? None of these. What happened to T.W. is just a sort of parallel event.
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:34 am

Does back pain have anything to do with this? Were you taught a mind trick (counting sheep? Counting down from 10,000?) to take your mind of some pain you were experiencing previously when lying down?

Is surgery relevant?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:47 am

Does back pain have anything to do with this? No.Were you taught a mind trick (counting sheep? Counting down from 10,000?) to take your mind of some pain you were experiencing previously when lying down? No. I was not really in pain, just found it difficult to relax and go to sleep.

Is surgery relevant? Nooooo - but explore!
trebor
klondike mary

Postby Liquizt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:33 pm

Is the change more to do with a change to yourself? or a change to your environment?

Are you sleeping in a different bed or location to where you'd usually sleep? in your own home? in someone else's home? in a hospital?

Is the location in which you're sleeping: softer than usual? warmer than usual? have more options to adjust/control temperature than usual? improved noise conditions? improved light conditions? less affected by pandemic measures?

Does the pandemic have any relevance at all? are we fine to ignore it?
Liquizt

Postby klondike mary » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:04 pm

Is the change more to do with a change to yourself? Yessishor a change to your environment? Mostly this.

Are you sleeping in a different bed or location to where you'd usually sleep? in your own home? in someone else's home? in a hospital?I am home in my own bed now, but for a while I was in a hospital. This is relevant.

Is the location in which you're sleeping: softer than usual? warmer than usual? have more options to adjust/control temperature than usual? improved noise conditions? improved light conditions? less affected by pandemic measures?All n.r.
Covid is n.r. at all, but cold weather is.
klondike mary

Postby KellyC » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:49 am

Is having had children relevant?
KellyC

Postby klondike mary » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:21 pm

s having had children relevant? Not in my case, and I'm pretty sure not in Tiger's either.
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:31 pm

Relevant what treatment you were receiving in hospital? Had you broken/fractured a bone? Had a cardiac event? Had a severe allergic reaction to something? Were you being treated for a disease? For a chronic condition? Some immediate event, the effects of which lingered for years? Something that one normally gets and then has for a while?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:27 pm

Relevant what treatment you were receiving in hospital? DOYD of 'treatment.' 'Care' might be more accurate.Had you broken/fractured a bone? Had a cardiac event? Had a severe allergic reaction to something? Were you being treated for a disease? For a chronic condition? Some immediate event, the effects of which lingered for years? Something that one normally gets and then has for a while? None of these really relevant, except maybe 'cardiac scare' or 'false alarm.' Exact cause of any hospitalization is n.r. Could be just for observation/tests. trebor
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:35 pm

Does the trick involve elevating part of your body? Better supporting part of your body? Does the trick involve blankets/duvets/mattress covers/sheets? Pillows? Taking something not normally in bed and putting it in bed? Sleeping with a pet?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:39 pm

Does the trick involve elevating part of your body? Better supporting part of your body?No. the trick involve blankets/duvets/mattress covers/sheets? Pillows? Noish to all. Taking something not normally in bed and putting it in bed? Sleeping with a pet? No to these, but you are getting - ahem- warmer. Explore!
trebor
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:03 am

Taking something normally in your bed and putting it out of bed? Or removing it from the bed? Or sticking an appendage out from under the covers?

Is adjusting the AC relevant? Heating? Were you better prepped for sleeping this winter because you were used to sleeping in colder temperatures?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:16 pm

Taking something normally in your bed and putting it out of bed? Or removing it from the bed? Or sticking an appendage out from under the covers? It involves doing something I do not normally do, not not doing something I usually do. More covering, rather than less, is involved, but not blankets, etc..

Is adjusting the AC relevant? Heating? Were you better prepped for sleeping this winter because you were used to sleeping in colder temperatures? No or n.r. to all. I am very much not used to cold weather.
trebor
klondike mary

Postby JenBurdoo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:53 pm

Electric blankets relevant? Some procedure used in hospitals that you exported to your own home? Drugs or anesthesia relevant? Must a nurse or staff member come into the hospital room to do this?

Anything to do with the conditions of hospitals (drier, colder, cleaner, etc)?
JenBurdoo

Postby trebor » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:56 pm

Hot water bottles relevant? Heating pads? Fire?

Is it something you would do before getting into bed? Something done to the room? Something done to the bed? Are you wearing more clothing to bed? Piling clothing to sleep under?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:40 pm

Electric blankets relevant? No.Some procedure used in hospitals that you exported to your own home?Not a procedure, as the term is generally used; more a routine. Drugs or anesthesia relevant? Must a nurse or staff member come into the hospital room to do this? No or n.r. to both.

Anything to do with the conditions of hospitals (drier, colder, cleaner, etc)? Might have something to do with the fact that hospitals are usually colder, even in warm climates.
JenBurdoo
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:44 pm

Hot water bottles relevant? Heating pads? Fire? No, but OTRT

Is it something you would do before getting into bed? Yes. Something done to the room? Something done to the bed?No and no. Are you wearing more clothing to bed? Yes, especially ??? Piling clothing to sleep under? No.
klondike mary

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles