[Doriana] I can still remember

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] I can still remember

Postby Doriana » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:29 pm

She thought I was pranking her. But: One more, and the joke would have been on me.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] I can still remember

Postby GalFisk » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:30 pm

One more: time? Action? Object? Prank? Reaction? Thought? She: HAF? "I/me": HAF? Same person?
GalFisk

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:08 pm

Was someone else pranking your both? Was there an actual prank involved? Do you know each other? Are you friends?
JenBurdoo

Postby Doriana » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:47 pm

One more: time? Action? Object? This Prank? Reaction? Thought? She: HAF? Yes "I/me": HAF? H/C/F Same person? "I" and "me", yes

Was someone else pranking your both? Was there an actual prank involved? Do you know each other? Are you friends? No to all
Doriana

Postby Sundowner » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:07 pm

Did you communicate with her? ask her? to do something? to avoid something? to say something?
Were you both in the same place when this happened?
The object(s): bigger than a matchbox? bigger than a breadbox? bigger than an armchair? bigger than a car?
Were all objects of the same sort? of the same size? was it letters? parcels?
Were the objects in your reach? did you touch them? do something with them?
Were the objects in her reach? did she touch them? do something with them?
Sundowner

Postby Doriana » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:23 pm

Did you communicate with her? Yes ask her? to do something? to avoid something? to say something? No to all
Were you both in the same place when this happened? Yes
The object(s): bigger than a matchbox? bigger than a breadbox? bigger than an armchair? bigger than a car? No to all
Were all objects of the same sort? of the same size? Yes to these was it letters? parcels? No to these
Were the objects in your reach? Yes did you touch them? No, but explore do something with them? Yes
Were the objects in her reach? Not all of them did she touch them? No do something with them? Yes
Doriana

Postby Mimino » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:14 am

Were the objects physical? tangible?
Did she receive these objects? Did she think you sent her these objects? Did you, in fact?
Were the objects text messages? or e-mails?
Mimino

Postby Liquizt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:00 pm

"She" = "her"?

Did she confront/contact you about the supposed prank? something else?
Would she have confronted/contacted you about the supposed prank had there been one more? confronted/contacted someone else? regarding the supposed prank?
The joke would have been on you had there been one more involved? or if one more were to become involved in the future?

Did you move the objects? one at a time?
Dis she move the objects? one at a time? to the same place? or from the place you had moved them? returning them to the place you moved them from?

In her experience, were the objects appearing? disappearing? changing? being used?
In your experience, were the objects appearing? disappearing? changing? being used?

Would the 'joke being on you' be a humorous consequence? a serious consequence?
Would you be the sole victim of the joke being on you?
Would the same "joke" be happen or be expected to happen regardless but to someone(s) else?
In your opinion, would the joke be humorous? if it happened to you? if it happened to her? if it happened to someone else?

Are the objects smaller than a matchbox? edible?

Do you own the objects? or believed yourself to?
Does she own the objects? or believed herself to?
Are the objects owned by a third party? made available for common use?

Are you at work? Is she at work?
Are you both in a shop? eatery? waiting room/space? place of residence? hospitality? public service?

Are you seated? Is she seated?
Are you beside one another?
Are you facing the same direction? opposite directions?
Are you sharing a table?
Liquizt

Postby Doriana » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:31 pm

Were the objects physical? tangible? Yes to both
Did she receive these objects? Did she think you sent her these objects? Did you, in fact? No to all
Were the objects text messages? or e-mails? No to both

"She" = "her"? Yes

Did she confront/contact you about the supposed prank? Confront, yes something else?
Would she have confronted/contacted you about the supposed prank had there been one more? Possibly confronted/contacted someone else? Probably not regarding the supposed prank?
The joke would have been on you had there been one more involved? This or if one more were to become involved in the future?

Did you move the objects? one at a time? I moved one of them
Dis she move the objects? one at a time? to the same place? or from the place you had moved them? returning them to the place you moved them from? She moved one of them, but not to the place I had moved them from

In her experience, were the objects appearing? disappearing? changing? being used? One object was appearing
In your experience, were the objects appearing? disappearing? changing? being used? One object was appearing

Would the 'joke being on you' be a humorous consequence? a serious consequence? More serious, but probably humorous in hindsight
Would you be the sole victim of the joke being on you? Yes
Would the same "joke" be happen or be expected to happen regardless but to someone(s) else? No
In your opinion, would the joke be humorous? if it happened to you? if it happened to her? if it happened to someone else? No to all, but it might be humorous in hindsight

Are the objects smaller than a matchbox? Yes edible? Yes

Do you own the objects? No or believed yourself to? No, but OTRT / explore
Does she own the objects? No, but... or believed herself to? No
Are the objects owned by a third party? Yes made available for common use? DOYD of "use"

Are you at work? No, keep in mind that I was a child at the time of the puzzle Is she at work? Yes, good question!
Are you both in a shop? This eatery? waiting room/space? place of residence? hospitality? public service?

Are you seated? Is she seated? No to both
Are you beside one another? No
Are you facing the same direction? opposite directions? This
Are you sharing a table? No
Doriana

Postby Liquizt » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:27 am

Is she a shopkeeper? But not necessarily the storeowner?

Do you and her have any relationship to each other, other than what's so far been determined? e.g. mother? guardian? sibling? friend?

Are the edible objects sweets?
Are the edible objects safe for consumption by a child of the age you were?

Are you facing each other? across a sales counter/checkout? across an aisle? across a shelf?
Are you facing away from each other? with a sales counter/checkout between? in an aisle? with a shelf between?

Did you believe the object to be free or otherwise lack the concept of having to pay for it?

Did she move the object she moved before you moved the object you moved?
Did you move the object you moved before she moved the object she moved?
Were these moved objects the exact same object? distinct objects of the same kind?

Are there 3 or fewer relevant locations objects were moved from or to?
Is one of these locations:
'in your possession' (e.g. on or about your person/ close enough to be implicitly yours)?
'in her possession' (e.g. on or about her person/ close enough to be implicitly hers)?
a store shelf?
a store sales counter/checkout?

Did you take the object into/ for your possession?
Did you give her an object as if it were yours?
Did she gift you an object?
Did she take an object from you?
Did she take an object for herself?

Did you effectively steal an object?
Would you have effectively stolen an object in the hypothetical event of the "one more" being involved?

Does the "one more" refer to a hypothetical additional object moved by you? a hypothetical additional object moved by her?
Liquizt

Postby Doriana » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:15 pm

Is she a shopkeeper? This happens in a department store, so she is a sales associate / cashier But not necessarily the storeowner? So yes

Do you and her have any relationship to each other, other than what's so far been determined? No e.g. mother? guardian? sibling? friend?

Are the edible objects sweets? Yes
Are the edible objects safe for consumption by a child of the age you were? Yes

Are you facing each other? across a sales counter/checkout? Yes to these across an aisle? across a shelf?
Are you facing away from each other? with a sales counter/checkout between? in an aisle? with a shelf between?

Did you believe the object to be free or otherwise lack the concept of having to pay for it? No

Did she move the object she moved before you moved the object you moved? No
Did you move the object you moved before she moved the object she moved? Yes
Were these moved objects the exact same object? This distinct objects of the same kind?

Are there 3 or fewer relevant locations objects were moved from or to? Yes
Is one of these locations:
'in your possession' (e.g. on or about your person/ close enough to be implicitly yours)? Yes
'in her possession' (e.g. on or about her person/ close enough to be implicitly hers)? Yes
a store shelf? Yes
a store sales counter/checkout? Only insofar that there was a counter between us

Did you take the object into/ for your possession? Yes
Did you give her an object as if it were yours? No
Did she gift you an object? No
Did she take an object from you? Yes
Did she take an object for herself? No

Did you effectively steal an object? No
Would you have effectively stolen an object in the hypothetical event of the "one more" being involved? No, but OTRT

Does the "one more" refer to a hypothetical additional object moved by you? a hypothetical additional object moved by her? Yes to both, i.e. one additional object moved by both of us
Doriana

Postby Liquizt » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:31 pm

Is there a relevant third party? a parent?

Perhaps:
You took a sweet? in some obvious manner? and she took it off of you? for it to be paid for? and whomever you were with agreed to pay? but had you tried to take another you would have likely ended up with none?
Liquizt

Postby Doriana » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:28 pm

Is there a relevant third party? a parent? No to both

Perhaps:
You took a sweet? Yes in some obvious manner? Irrel and she took it off of you? No for it to be paid for? But paying for it is relevant and whomever you were with agreed to pay? No, see above but had you tried to take another you would have likely ended up with none? Possibly
Doriana

Postby Sundowner » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:29 pm

One more = two instead of one? three instead of two? four instead of three? still more?
Did you take the sweet from the shelf?
Did she take the sweet from you? something else? money? something else intended as payment for the sweet?
Sundowner

Postby Doriana » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:34 pm

One more = two instead of one? This three instead of two? four instead of three? still more?
Did you take the sweet from the shelf? Yes
Did she take the sweet from you? something else? money? Both the sweet and money (So bit of a BLOOOPER here because I earlier said that she only took one thing from me) something else intended as payment for the sweet?
Doriana

Postby Sundowner » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:14 pm

Did you hand over sweet and money to the cashier?
Was it the exact amount of money needed? more? less?
Small coins? a big note?
Did the cashier suspect a prank because of the sort of money you gave her?
Was it valid currency? foreign currency? old currency?
Did this happen in January 2002?
Sundowner

Postby Doriana » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:29 pm

Did you hand over sweet Yes and money to the cashier? Eventually yes, but not at the time she thought I was pranking her
Was it the exact amount of money needed? more? This less?
Small coins? One coin a big note?
Did the cashier suspect a prank because of the sort of money you gave her? No
Was it valid currency? This foreign currency? old currency?
Did this happen in January 2002? No (For the non-EU forum members: That's when we switched to Euros which caused some confusion at the beginning)
Doriana

Postby Liquizt » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:05 am

Is the type of sweet relevant? Was it a chocolate coin?
Liquizt

Postby Doriana » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:00 pm

Is the type of sweet relevant? Something about it is relevant Was it a chocolate coin? No
Doriana

Postby Doriana » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:16 am

RECAP: As a child, I was at a department store where I took a sweet from the shelf and took it to the counter with the intention to pay for it with a coin. Before I handed over the money, the employee behind the counter thought I was pranking her. However, if I had taken one more sweet, I would probably have ended up with no sweets at all.
Doriana

Postby Sundowner » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:38 pm

Did you say something relevant? before you handed over the sweet? during? afterwards? when you handed over the money?
Would your money have been enough for two sweets?
Is the name of the sweet relevant?
Sundowner

Postby Doriana » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:10 am

Did you say something relevant? Yes before you handed over the sweet? during? afterwards? when you handed over the money? This
Would your money have been enough for two sweets? No, good question!
Is the name of the sweet relevant? No
Doriana

Postby Sundowner » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:49 am

Is the name of the sweet relevant? - I was thinking of "Nimm 2". :)

Was the sweet chocolate? cake? cookies? chewing gum? candy? gummy bears? Was it exactly one piece of sweet? many pieces in a box? or bag?
Did you pay with exactly one coin? relevant? Euro currency? 2 EUR? 1 EUR? 50ct? 20ct? 10ct? 5ct? 2ct? 1ct?
Sundowner

Postby Doriana » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:28 pm

Is the name of the sweet relevant? - I was thinking of "Nimm 2". :) Oh, good idea!

Was the sweet chocolate? cake? cookies? chewing gum? candy? This gummy bears? Was it exactly one piece of sweet? Yes many pieces in a box? or bag? No to these
Did you pay with exactly one coin? Yes relevant? Not really Euro currency? No, Deutsche Mark 2 EUR? 1 EUR? 50ct? 20ct? 10ct? 10 Pfennig (i.e. approx. 5 ct in Euros or USD) 5ct? 2ct? 1ct?
Doriana

Postby Sundowner » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:05 pm

Euro currency? No, Deutsche Mark -- Take it as a compliment, because I did not pay enough attention. :D

Did the shop employee feel pranked when you showed up at the cash register? when you handed over the sweet? when you talked to her? when you paid? afterwards?
Did you say something that related to the value of the sweet? to the amount of money you've got with you?
Was the exact price of the candy: 6 Pf? 7 Pf? 8 Pf? 9 Pf? Relevant?
Did you understand that your coin is enough to buy one candy but not two?
Is there anything else relevant about the sweet apart from that it was a candy? was it a candy stick? a lollipop?
Sundowner

Postby Doriana » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:01 pm

Did the shop employee feel pranked when you showed up at the cash register? when you handed over the sweet? This when you talked to her? when you paid? afterwards?
Did you say something that related to the value of the sweet? to the amount of money you've got with you? This
Was the exact price of the candy: 6 Pf? This, IIRC 7 Pf? 8 Pf? 9 Pf? Relevant? Not really
Did you understand that your coin is enough to buy one candy but not two? FAish... explore!
Is there anything else relevant about the sweet apart from that it was a candy? Yes was it a candy stick? a lollipop? No to both
Doriana

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles