The Chatroom

A place for general discussions and social chat but not for posting puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Earnest] HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM ITALY!

Postby Earnest » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:02 am

Happy new year from Italy guys! May our lateral 2018 be full of new puzzles!
Earnest

Re: [Earnest] HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM ITALY!

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:48 am

Happy new year from Sweden! We're in the same timezone! But hopefully not the same weather (sleet, +1°C).
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:10 am

+12 ;ppppp ...but I'm actually in the very south of Italy
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:46 am

Warm wishes from New Zealand. A balmy 24 celsius, an hour and a quarter from Midnight (Jan 1's almost over for another year...)
WiZ

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:34 pm

Wishing you all an excellent year from the frigid tundra of Texas (16 Fahrenheit, or -8 Celsius).
Hobbsicle

Postby LemonCurry » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:29 pm

Happy New Year from Germany, where we‘ve had a bout of untimely spring (+15 C) in my region yesterday.
LemonCurry

The Chatroom

Postby Balin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Happy New Year everyone!
To celebrate I'm dropping one last round of hints on "Click your heels," and have opened a new chatroom thread.
Balin

Re: The Chatroom

Postby peter365 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:56 am

Wishing all my puzzles pals a bhliain nua sasta from Ireland.
peter365

Postby kalira » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 pm

Happy belated new year from Old Virginny, where I believe it was around 14 degrees F (-10 Celsius) when it rolled around. WiZ, are you our only Southern Hemispherean that you know of?

I don't have a fancy language I know as well as I suspect Peter does Irish (or would you call it Gaelic?), but I can offer you 新年おめでとう (sheen-nen-oh-meh-deh-toh) :)
kalira

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:10 pm

I am, barring the inevitable return of Psymann, Insight, or Steve from Mudgee.

Edit: In the spirit of wishing a happy new year in our respective languages, I would like to extend a warm Tau Hou hari to you all. Never mind that Maori New Year is on 30 June.
WiZ

Postby WiZ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:01 pm

298 puzzles solved last year, compared to 343 in 2016 and 306 in 2015 (and 666 in 2010!)

We started off tracking for another result like 2016's, but the number of regular hosts dropped off as the year progressed. Prolific puzzle setters such as Redwine, Doriana, Grip, JenBurdoo and others seemed to vanish into the ether. I know that forum regulars tend to fall into erratic cycles of disappearing and returning (I certainly did between 2005 and 2013), but I've been feeling their absence keenly in recent months.

I don't see why we shouldn't be able to grow our membership to rival the glory days of 2010; ours is a fun, harmless forum that welcomes participation from a wide variety of people, and there's no end to the sort of material we can contribute.

Relative newcomers of the LTPF: What brought you here? How did you find out about us? About Lateral Puzzles in general? How can we bring more souls to this forum in this new era? How can we, in the words of a Lyttle Lytton entry, take Lateral Puzzles and make them 2.0?
WiZ

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:58 am

A good question. I've been thinking about the "2.0" question, and I'm sure I've concocted a brilliant solution at some point, but I forgot what it was as soon as I woke up.

As one of those regulars who has been around a long time, but has had 2 lengthy periods of drop-off, I sort of ask myself what causes the waxing and waning of interest. I guess it's kind of the same as anything. I get busy with life. There are a lot of things on the internet and elsewhere vying for your interest, and the LTPF isn't exactly the flashiest of those. There aren't even any pictures! But it is a great community here, and I hope to see it thrive.

A handful of general thoughts:

When my podcast launches sometime in the next two or three thousand years, I plan to have some lateral puzzle content, including some puzzles you guys have shared, and I will be plugging this forum there. Since I'm pretty confident I'll have somewhere between 0 and 7.5 billion listeners, you can expect the forum members to grow by a similar range.
    I feel like there's got to be a way to expand the "best of year" list and leverage that somehow by sharing it elsewhere, but I'm not sure how exactly.
    Could there be more we could do with the site? Have an actual website devoted to lateral thinking, of which the forum is the primary part, but not the first thing the average person stumbles into? At the very least, maybe get that home page looking like something made in this millennium.
    Let's see if we can get Beyonce into lateral thinking.
Hobbsicle

Postby WiZ » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:35 pm

I think that, more than ever, there is scope to publish as 'Best of' the LTPF. Putting together an E-book should be within our grasp. The trouble would be finding an excuse to draw attention to it. For a while now, I've had vague notions of collaborating with (a) non-profit organisation(s) pertaining to education, mental health or succeeding in business, and releasing this best of with proceeds going to them (tied in with a proposed fundraising exercise/awareness week/what-have-you). It would also solve the royalties nightmare of having a score of LTPFers' fingers in the pie.

I don't know how realistic this is. Paul would most likely have a better idea, having built a career out of applied lateral thinking.
WiZ

Postby wwhere » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Well, a bit late but Feliz Año Nuevo/Happy New Year to everyone!

I just discovered this site yesterday (and I'm a bit surprised I didn't found it before). I am from Spain, but living in the UK for almost two years now.

I discovered lateral thinking puzzles in my teen years, mostly thanks to Paul Sloane books, and have always been on the lookout for more of these kind of puzzles.
wwhere

Postby peter365 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 am

Welcome to the Forum Wwhere , it's a nice place and I hope you have fun here.
peter365

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Paul Sloane, those were the days! My children and I got the books and would play those puzzles most weekends, and sometimes make up our own (most of which were complete rubbish and included a lot of schoolboy humour. For example, one of my sons was incapable of hosting a puzzle which didn't include condoms). Was there someone on top of the phone box? Had the man watched every single video in the video shop?

Sorry for not introducing myself when I joined a few days ago; I didn't know about the chatroom. I used to be on the old LPTF forum back in the early noughties, though I wasn't very active. I remember an extremely long Sherlock Holmes thread, where he discovered/developed fingerprinting techniques. I thought the forum had finished?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 pm

While I was not around then - I found the forum in 2010 - that thread still exists in the archives.
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:53 am

Wow. Thanks, Balin!
invisiblemimsy

Return to The Chatroom