[Balin] I would sit in the back

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] I would sit in the back

Postby Balin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:43 pm

A woman was arrested because her husband wanted to be left alone. Why?
Woman = H/A/F
Husband = H/A/M
ROIMBT (read on Internet, must be true)
Balin

Re: [Balin] I would sit in the back

Postby Konnie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:32 pm

Relevant when this occurred? Modern day? Exact location relevant?
Was she arrested for harassment? Murder? Manslaughter? Did the husband report her for whatever she was arrested for?
Did the husband want the wife specifically to leave him alone? Or did he want to be left alone completely, no contact with anyone? Did the wife know he wanted to be left alone?
Just double checking, the husband is alive, yes? Is the wife alive?
Konnie

Postby Earnest » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:02 am

Premising that I was tempted to ask the same question of Konnie if the husband was alive so that there was a will/legal act which impeded the woman maybe to get close to his body/dusts, I'll make my questions basing to the fact that both husband and woman are alive...

Had the husband the right to be left alone? (I mean a specific right signed by a judge maybe) Was the husband a criminal?
Were them about to divorce? Did the woman want to get close to the husband? If, did she violate a domicile/property? To be sure, was it known that they were husband and wife? Were them legally recognized as husband and wife? Is it a famous couple?

Arrested = imprisoned?

WAG--> Is apartheid relevant?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Relevant when this occurred? Yes Modern day? Yes Exact location relevant? No
Was she arrested for harassment? Murder? Manslaughter? Exact crime was not reported in the story Did the husband report her for whatever she was arrested for? No
Did the husband want the wife specifically to leave him alone? No Or did he want to be left alone completely, no contact with anyone? Assume Yes Did the wife know he wanted to be left alone? Assume Yes
Just double checking, the husband is alive, yes? Is the wife alive? Both are alive

Premising that I was tempted to ask the same question of Konnie if the husband was alive so that there was a will/legal act which impeded the woman maybe to get close to his body/dusts, I'll make my questions basing to the fact that both husband and woman are alive... Lateral minds think alike...

Had the husband the right to be left alone? (I mean a specific right signed by a judge maybe) Not a legal right, No Was the husband a criminal? No
Were them about to divorce? No Did the woman want to get close to the husband? No more or less than any married couple If, did she violate a domicile/property?No To be sure, was it known that they were husband and wife? Yes Were them legally recognized as husband and wife? Yes Is it a famous couple? No

Arrested = imprisoned? Yes

WAG--> Is apartheid relevant? No, but interesting idea
Balin

Postby Earnest » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:39 pm

ok so...assuming they had adult sons/daughters, would them be arrested as well had they attempted to have a contact with their father? If so, would they be arrested because they would have adopted the same strategy of their mother or because they tried to "disturb" the will of their father to be left alone?

Is it relevant how the woman tried to have a contact with his husband? By phone? Personally? Face to face? With a date? Did they live together in the same house?If so, relevant if they both own it? Relevant the profession of the husband? Was it fundamental that the husband was left alone? I mean, was him disturbed, would something dangerous, negative happen? Did he want to concentrate?
Relevant where he wanted to be left alone? In his house? In his place of work? Isolated by the rest of the world? Was silence necessary for him?

Assuming they live in the same house and that they both own the house, would she be arrested had she simply tried to enter the house?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:54 pm

ok so...assuming they had adult sons/daughters No
would them be arrested as well had they attempted to have a contact with their father? If so, would they be arrested because they would have adopted the same strategy of their mother or because they tried to "disturb" the will of their father to be left alone? See above

Is it relevant how the woman tried to have a contact with his husband? FA By phone? Personally? Face to face? With a date?
Did they live together in the same house? Yes If so, relevant if they both own it? No Relevant the profession of the husband? No
Was it fundamental that the husband was left alone? I mean, was him disturbed, would something dangerous, negative happen? No Did he want to concentrate? No; he wanted to sleep
Relevant where he wanted to be left alone? Yes In his house? Yes In his place of work? Isolated by the rest of the world? Was silence necessary for him? Apparently

Assuming they live in the same house and that they both own the house, would she be arrested had she simply tried to enter the house? No, and she was in the house
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:30 am

did the husband take relevant measures to be left alone? Did he want to be left alone temporarily? If so, relevant for how many time? Days? Weeks? Hours?

Did he took some security measures? I mean, something like he wanted to sleep and so, to be safe, he put a burglar alarm which called 911 automatically or something like that?
Did he expect her wife to be arrested? Did he want her wife to be arrested? Did he know that his wife had been arrested?
Relevant what his wife did? Did she simply enter the house? The room where he was?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:04 am

did the husband take relevant measures to be left alone? Presumably Did he want to be left alone temporarily? Yes If so, relevant for how many time? Days? Weeks? Hours? This, at the most. Assume an hour or so

Did he took some security measures? No I mean, something like he wanted to sleep YES and so, to be safe, he put a burglar alarm which called 911 automatically or something like that? No
Did he expect his wife to be arrested? No Did he want his wife to be arrested? No Did he know that his wife had been arrested? Yes
Relevant what his wife did? Yope, FA Did she simply enter the house? She was already in the house The room where he was? Assume No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:00 am

First of all...she was arrested by police right? Relevant who called the police? The husband? The wife? (Something like the wife was concerned for something and called the police which investigated on her private life/ foubd something that lead to the arrest).

Wife arrested for something she did? Because of her past? Directly because the husband wanted to sleep for an hour? Did she receive relevant phone calls which were instead directed to her husband? Was she arrested in place of her husband? Did she undertake an action that her husband should have instead? Was the house watched? By police?
Earnest

Postby Konnie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Relevant what type of house they live in? An apartment? A boat house? Trailer? Do the husband and wife live alone?
Did the wife cause the husband to be relevantly sleep-deprived?
Konnie

Postby Balin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:22 pm

First of all...she was arrested by police right? Yes
Relevant who called the police? Yes The husband? The wife? Neither
(Something like the wife was concerned for something and called the police No which investigated on her private life/ foubd something that lead to the arrest). Yope

Wife arrested for something she did? Yes, exactly what is irrel Because of her past? Yes, see previous Directly because the husband wanted to sleep for an hour? Indirectly
Did she receive relevant phone calls which were instead directed to her husband? Was she arrested in place of her husband? Did she undertake an action that her husband should have instead? Was the house watched? By police? No to these

Relevant what type of house they live in? No An apartment? A boat house? Trailer?
Do the husband and wife live alone? No
Did the wife cause the husband to be relevantly sleep-deprived? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Relevant who called the police? Yes---> A neighbour? if so did he/she see something in the house? Did he/she hear something? I was thinking of something like a misunderstanding: for instance the husband was asleep and the neighbor thought he was dead...

can we assume that nobody saw the husband? Was the husband asleep? Relevant? Did the wife think he was asleep? did she try not to make noise? If so, did she do something relevant which attracted the attention of the one who called the police? Did she use a relevant item? e.g. a sickle instead of a mower not to make noise; Was the wife inside the house when the police was called? Was the police called as a consequence of the measures taken by the wife not to disturb her husband?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:18 am

Relevant who called the police? Yes---> A neighbour? No if so did he/she see something in the house? No Did he/she hear something? No I was thinking of something like a misunderstanding: for instance the husband was asleep and the neighbor thought he was dead... Not a bad idea, but No

can we assume that nobody saw the husband? No Was the husband asleep? No; he was trying to sleep Relevant? Yes Did the wife think he was asleep? Irrel did she try not to make noise? Assume Yes If so, did she do something relevant which attracted the attention of the one who called the police? No Did she use a relevant item? No e.g. a sickle instead of a mower not to make noise; Was the wife inside the house when the police was called? Yes Was the police called as a consequence of the measures taken by the wife not to disturb her husband? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:47 am

did it all happen in the night? In the afternoon? Morning? Relevant? was the husband conscious of the past of his wife? If so did he try to protect her? was she a fugitive?

so someone saw the husband which was not asleep...was the someone who called the police inside the house? if so, was he committing a crime? I know it is paradoxical but...I was thinking of a thief who called the police for some reason to discover...
or the someone was maybe someone working in the nearby (e.g. a street cleaner, garbage collector) or in the same building? In the same house? (cleaning woman...) someone who wanted to see the husband?

No; he was trying to sleep Relevant? Yes --> it means that he was able to see/listen what was happening around him? Did he saw someone? If so someone he expected to see? Someone in his room? was him alone in his room?

was the police called because: something illegal was going on in the house? a car was wrongly parked? someone (e.g. the wife) was recognized as criminal? an alarm tripped? a discussion? drug? a common crime?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:21 pm

did it all happen in the night? In the afternoon? Morning? Could be any of these Relevant? No
was the husband conscious of the past of his wife? Unknown. Assume he didn't know If so did he try to protect her? was she a fugitive? Well, she had a warrant for her arrest

so someone saw the husband which was not asleep...was the someone who called the police inside the house? Yes if so, was he committing a crime? No I know it is paradoxical but...I was thinking of a thief who called the police for some reason to discover... Not a bad idea, but No
or the someone was maybe someone working in the nearby (e.g. a street cleaner, garbage collector) or in the same building? In the same house? (cleaning woman...) It was not someone working someone who wanted to see the husband? Yes

No; he was trying to sleep Relevant? Yes --> it means that he was able to see/listen what was happening around him? Yes Did he saw someone? Yes If so someone he expected to see? No, but it was not someone he was surprised to see Someone in his room? Yes was him alone in his room? No

was the police called because: something illegal was going on in the house? a car was wrongly parked? someone (e.g. the wife) was recognized as criminal? an alarm tripped? a discussion? drug? a common crime? None of these
Balin

Postby Earnest » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Ok so was the one in the room a relative of the husband? Was the obe a man? A woman? A child? An adult? Was the woman aware that someone was in her husband's room? If not was the husband betraying the wife?

Can we call the obe John? If so, was J aware of the woman's past crimes? Does the fact that the husband wanted to stay alone allow J to see the husband? To call the police? Did J enter the main entrance of the house? Did J exit after having called the police? Did he call the police with the phone? Was J a policeman?

Was J already in the room when the husband entered? Relevant why he wanted to see the husband? Did he want to talk to him? To advise him? To help him? Was it a surprise? Was J invited? If so by the wife? Was J a doctor? A friend of the husband? Is the number 911 relevant?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:14 pm

Ok so was the one in the room a relative of the husband? Yes
Was the obe a man? A woman? A child? This, could be a boy or a girl (don't think the story mentioned). Since you called him John, he's a boy An adult?
Was the woman aware that someone was in her husband's room? Assume No If not was the husband betraying the wife? No

Can we call the obe John? Yes If so, was J aware of the woman's past crimes? No Does the fact that the husband wanted to stay alone allow J to see the husband? Not exactly To call the police? Yes, explore Did J enter the main entrance of the house? He was already in the house Did J exit after having called the police? No Did he call the police with the phone? Yes Was J a policeman? No

Was J already in the room when the husband entered? No
Relevant why he wanted to see the husband? Yes Did he want to talk to him? This, explore To advise him? To help him?
Was it a surprise? Um, John wasn't expected to come in Was J invited? Into the room? No If so by the wife?
Was J a doctor? No A friend of the husband? His son, so... Is the number 911 relevant? Only in relation to the phone call
Balin

Postby Earnest » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:48 am

ok...by the answers it seems the set up of an horror movie...just my impression sorry.

was the father aware that J called the police? Did he think that the phone was a toy? Or was the phone the one of the father? Did J wanted to become a policeman? Was him playing? Did J want the permission to do something? Did he call the police as a consequence to the father's answer / reaction? Had J been completely alone, would he be able to call the police? Had J been with her father and her mother wouldn't be able to call the police because his mother would have impeded him to do it? Did J imitate the voice of his father while calling the police?

Is there a situation like a divorce process or the right of J maybe to see some other relatives? Did he received the instruction to call the police whenever the situation would require it?

I'll try with a little WAG --> did J want to do something and the father didn't care much/didn't allow J to do the thing he wanted to and J called the police maybe saying that something wrong was going on?
..I mean...it sounds stupid but you know...sometimes children are "unpredictable".
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:54 pm

ok...by the answers it seems the set up of an horror movie...just my impression sorry. This is more an amusing story than a horrifying one.

was the father aware that J called the police? YOPE
Did he think that the phone was a toy? Yope for John; No for the father Or was the phone the one of the father? No Did J wanted to become a policeman? No
Was J playing? YES Did J want the permission to do something? Yesish Did he call the police as a consequence to the father's answer / reaction? No Had J been completely alone, would he be able to call the police? Yes Had J been with his father and his mother wouldn't be able to call the police because his mother would have impeded him to do it? YES/YESISH, if I understand the question right Did J imitate the voice of his father while calling the police? No

Is there a situation like a divorce process or the right of J maybe to see some other relatives? No Did he received the instruction to call the police whenever the situation would require it? No

I'll try with a little WAG --> did J want to do something and the father didn't care much/didn't allow J to do the thing he wanted to and J called the police maybe saying that something wrong was going on? No, but this isn't too far away from the right path
..I mean...it sounds stupid but you know...sometimes children are "unpredictable".
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:03 am

Did J press the numbers 911 to call the police or did he involuntary called the police? (e.g. he pressed the emergency call button accidentally? or he wanted to press other buttons rather then 911 and the call button?).

Did the father use the phone as an alarm? Did J want to play with his father?
did J want to play with the phone of the father? Did J want to call someone with the phone of the father? Is the main reason why he entered the room to play with the father's phone?

Did the father let J play with his phone or did he try to take it back? Did J or the father directly talk to the police? Or did the police simply heard something (e.g. they didn't want to call police)?
WAG--> they were playing together and the father was trying to take the phone from J's hands...they accidentally press the emergency call button without knowing. The police heard the screams and misinterpreted the laughs and the jokes they were doing while playing together and suddenly came?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:54 pm

Did J press the numbers 911 to call the police or did he involuntary called the police? (e.g. he pressed the emergency call button accidentally? or he wanted to press other buttons rather then 911 and the call button?). He intentionally pressed 9-1-1 to call the police

Did the father use the phone as an alarm? No Did J want to play with his father? No
did J want to play with the phone of the father? No Did J want to call someone with the phone of the father? No Is the main reason why he entered the room to play with the father's phone? No

Did the father let J play with his phone or did he try to take it back? No Did J or the father directly talk to the police? John did, explore Or did the police simply heard something (e.g. they didn't want to call police)? No, but explore
WAG--> they were playing together and the father was trying to take the phone from J's hands...they accidentally press the emergency call button without knowing. The police heard the screams and misinterpreted the laughs and the jokes they were doing while playing together and suddenly came? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:19 pm

have he husband and the wife discussed? Has J heard them discussing? Did J hear/see something relevant?

ok, was J crying for help while calling the police? Did the father have some kind of reaction when he saw J calling the police? When he heard him talking to the police? Did he told the police that something was going on? That his father and his mother were discussing? That he needed help? Did J know about his mother's past? Did J want to make a joke to someone? To his mother? Did his father agree?

so too many things to explore...need to recap: J, the son of the husband, entered the room to talk to his father. He was playing and he intentionally called the police talking to them. The fact that his father wanted to stay alone allowed him to call the police. Right?

If the recap is correct...talk to his father about what? a joke he is planning to do? A surprise? (e.g. for the mother's birthday) Did he want the mother not to hear what he wanted to say to his father? A request? A toy he wanted? Something he wanted to take from the room? A problem he had?

he was playing = with a toy? he was hiding? he wanted to play with his father? did he have an item? was he playing before entering the room? Right after? Relevant the reason why he took his father's phone? Did his father gave him the phone intentionally?

he intentionally called the police = did he want the police to come and help him? Help his father? Arrest someone? for an everyday issue? did he want the permission to do something? did he called the police as a consequence of what his father said to him? was J treating his father e.g. "if you don't do this I will call the police"?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:13 pm

have he husband and the wife discussed? Not relevantly Has J heard them discussing? No Did J hear/see something relevant? Hear, Yes

ok, was J crying for help while calling the police? No Did the father have some kind of reaction when he saw J calling the police? Yes, explore When he heard him talking to the police?
Did he told the police that something was going on? That his father and his mother were discussing? That he needed help? All of these are possible
Did J know about his mother's past? Assume No
Did J want to make a joke to someone? No To his mother? Did his father agree?

so too many things to explore...need to recap: J, the son of the husband, entered the room to talk to his father. He was playing and he intentionally called the police talking to them. The fact that his father wanted to stay alone allowed him to call the police. Right? With one chance to the last sentence - the fact his father wanted to be left alone led the police to come to the house - this is right.

If the recap is correct...talk to his father about what? About something...
a joke he is planning to do? A surprise? (e.g. for the mother's birthday) Did he want the mother not to hear what he wanted to say to his father? A request? A toy he wanted? Something he wanted to take from the room? A problem he had? This last one is closest, but No to all

he was playing = with a toy? No he was hiding? No he wanted to play with his father? No did he have an item? Yes was he playing before entering the room? Yes Right after? Relevant the reason why he took his father's phone? FA Did his father gave him the phone intentionally? No

he intentionally called the police = did he want the police to come and help him? Help his father? Arrest someone? for an everyday issue? did he want the permission to do something? did he called the police as a consequence of what his father said to him? was J treating his father e.g. "if you don't do this I will call the police"? No to all
Balin

Postby Insight » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Did this happened in a place where men and women have the same civil rights?
Was John the son of the wife?
Besides the husband, the wife and John, was there someone else in the house? Are animals involved?
Was actually somebody in danger?
So, John called 911 intentionally, but as a part of a game? or did he actually wanted the police to come? Did John called because he misunderstood something the father said?
Did the husband and wife didn´t realize John was actually calling the police until it was too late? Did the husband wanted his wife to be arrested?
Relevant how John had access to the phone? he grabbed it himself? someone gave it to him?
Relevant why John interrupted his father´s attempt to sleep? Some reason related to the phone itself?
Insight

Postby Earnest » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:10 am

Oh yes forgot to ask...was the phone the father's one? Was it a fixed phone or a mobile phone?
If it was a fixed one, was it an old one (don't know the name...the ones in which you need to use a finger and do a circle in order to type a number...)? If an old one...did they use it? Did they know how to use it? (To be sure...is Bell involved? Of coyrse he is for the phobe's invention...but I mean directly)

of reaction when he saw J calling the police --> he tried to stop J? He was screaming to J? Relevant what J told to the police? Did he tell a lie? Did he tell something about his relatives (father and mother)?

He had an item...did he have a phone? Did he have an electronical device of some kind? A light? Did he want to talk about the item to his father? Did he sharr a certain activity (an hobby) with the father? Like modelism? They collect something together?...
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Did this happened in a place where men and women have the same civil rights? Yes
Was John the son of the wife? Yes
Besides the husband, the wife and John, was there someone else in the house? No Are animals involved? No
Was actually somebody in danger? No
So, John called 911 intentionally, but as a part of a game? Not a game, but just playing around, as kids do or did he actually wanted the police to come? Possibly, but irrel Did John called because he misunderstood something the father said? No
Did the husband and wife didn´t realize John was actually calling the police until it was too late? Yope Did the husband wanted his wife to be arrested? No
Relevant how John had access to the phone? No he grabbed it himself? But it was probably this someone gave it to him?
Relevant why John interrupted his father´s attempt to sleep? Yes Some reason related to the phone itself? Yope

Oh yes forgot to ask...was the phone the father's one? No, FA cleared Was it a fixed phone or a mobile phone? Assume it was fixed (a landline)
If it was a fixed one, was it an old one (don't know the name...the ones in which you need to use a finger and do a circle in order to type a number...)? Irrel (I know what you mean, and I can't remember what it's called either).
Assume No
If an old one...did they use it? Did they know how to use it? (To be sure...is Bell involved? Of coyrse he is for the phobe's invention...but I mean directly) No

of reaction when he saw J calling the police --> he tried to stop J? No (FA) He was screaming to J? Yes Relevant what J told to the police? No Did he tell a lie? No Did he tell something about his relatives (father and mother)? No

He had an item...did he have a phone? Yes, the phone is the only relevant object in this puzzle Did he have an electronical device of some kind? A light? Did he want to talk about the item to his father? Did he sharr a certain activity (an hobby) with the father? Like modelism? They collect something together?... No to rest
Balin

Postby Earnest » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:15 am

did the father see J calling the police?

Was J aware of having called the police? (I mean of being in contact with the police after having typed 911). Was the fact that he typed 911 a sort of "threat" to his father? Was his father angry because he wanted to be left alone?

the fact his father wanted to be left alone led the police to come to the house---> because he screamed? I mean the fact that he wanted to be left alone made him scream against his son who was disturbing him playing around?

Did J call the police just because his father screamed against him? J had a problem...a childish problem? Like he wanted his father to do something?

Was J silent when the police answered the phone and the father was screaming? Did the police heard the father screaming and so came to see whether there were problems?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:12 pm

did the father see J calling the police? No

Was J aware of having called the police? (I mean of being in contact with the police after having typed 911). Yes Was the fact that he typed 911 a sort of "threat" to his father? No Was his father angry because he wanted to be left alone? Yes

the fact his father wanted to be left alone led the police to come to the house---> because he screamed? The screaming isn't the relevant part I mean the fact that he wanted to be left alone made him scream against his son who was disturbing him playing around? Yes, but the screaming is not the immediate reason for the police coming

Did J call the police just because his father screamed against him? No J had a problem... No - that was the closest guess, but he didn't have a "problem" a childish problem? No Like he wanted his father to do something? No

Was J silent when the police answered the phone and the father was screaming? No Did the police heard the father screaming and so came to see whether there were problems? No, but OTRT!
Balin

Postby Earnest » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:43 pm

are misunderstandings relevant? Did the police misunderstood the conversation between J and his father? Did J directly refer to the police when he called the 911?

relevant the reason why J went to his father and not to his mother? Did he need a man? Did he want to talk about something private? About something that the mother didn't know? About something wrong he did? At school? About how to adjust the phone?

did the father see J calling the police? No--> was J trying to see whether the phone was working? Did he call the police in the same room as the father's room?
Earnest

Postby Konnie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Is J's specific wording relevant? Is the father's? Did his father threaten J to leave the room, but perhaps it sounded more serious to the police?
Did the police overhear the mother at all, or only J and the dad?
Konnie

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:28 pm

are misunderstandings relevant? Yope/Noish Did the police misunderstood the conversation between J and his father? Noish Did J directly refer to the police when he called the 911? He knew he was talking to the police

relevant the reason why J went to his father and not to his mother? No, but the reason he went to his father is relevant Did he need a man? No, but... Did he want to talk about something private? About something that the mother didn't know? About something wrong he did? At school? About how to adjust the phone? No to all

did the father see J calling the police? No--> was J trying to see whether the phone was working? No Did he call the police in the same room as the father's room? No

Is J's specific wording relevant? No Is the father's? No Did his father threaten J to leave the room, but perhaps it sounded more serious to the police? Noish, explore

Did the police overhear the mother at all, or only J and the dad? Just John and the dad
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:37 am

Oh come on...this is my personal "infernal non sense puzzle" ahahhaaha

So...hopefully J needed his father and that's clear...the fact that he needed his father brought sonehow J to call the police. Was the fact that he called the police connected to what he needed? I mean...did he think the police can help him whereby the father can't? Did J need a permission? Did the father refuse at all to help J? Or he just told him to come later because he wanted to be left alone but J wanted help in that specific moment? Relevant that J waited that his father entered the room and be alone? Could J have done the same request to the father in public reaching his goal? Is the request maybe to simply sleep with him because he can't in his bedroom? To play with him? To bring him somewhere? Did the request of J imply for his father not to sleep? Not to be left alone?

Did the police think that there was an emergency? If so did the police deduct it from the conversation with J?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:38 pm

So...hopefully J needed his father and that's clear... That's correct...
the fact that he needed his father brought sonehow J to call the police. ...but NO.
Was the fact that he called the police connected to what he needed? Yes I mean...did he think the police can help him whereby the father can't? No Did J need a permission? NOISH/YOPE
Did the father refuse at all to help J? Yes Or he just told him to come later because he wanted to be left alone but J wanted help in that specific moment? This is how he refused - just by saying "leave me alone" Relevant that J waited that his father entered the room and be alone? I don't understand this question Could J have done the same request to the father in public reaching his goal? Less likely but possible
Is the request maybe to simply sleep with him because he can't in his bedroom? To play with him? To bring him somewhere? None of these
Did the request of J imply for his father not to sleep? Not to be left alone? Neither

Did the police think that there was an emergency? No, but OTRT... If so did the police deduct it from the conversation with J? Yope
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:44 pm

Did J want that his father approve something giving his contribution? Let J go somewhere'
Earnest

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Had J been told by the mother not to disturb the father?
Did J call the police because he wanted to ask them a question? A question that he could have asked his father?
So at some point, the father realizes that J has placed a call to someone? But initially doesn't know that the police have been called? Does J tell the father that he's called the police? Does the father ever realize that J has called them?
Are the police prompted to come to the house because they think J is in danger? That the father is in danger? That the mother is in danger? Because they've been looking for the mother in order to arrest her, since she has a warrant out for her arrest? And J or the father somehow say or do something that alerts them that the mother is at the house?

By the way, those old style phones are called "rotary phones"...
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:12 pm

Did J want that his father approve something giving his contribution? No Let J go somewhere' No

Had J been told by the mother not to disturb the father? No
Did J call the police because he wanted to ask them a question? He called the police because he was playing around with the phone, as kids sometimes do A question that he could have asked his father? No
So at some point, the father realizes that J has placed a call to someone? Yes But initially doesn't know that the police have been called? He may or may not realize it; his focus is on trying to sleep Does J tell the father that he's called the police? Possibly Does the father ever realize that J has called them? Yes, at the very latest when they show up
Are the police prompted to come to the house because they think J is in danger? That the father is in danger? That the mother is in danger? None of these-ISH Because they've been looking for the mother in order to arrest her, since she has a warrant out for her arrest? No And J or the father somehow say or do something that alerts them that the mother is at the house? No

By the way, those old style phones are called "rotary phones"... The CoffeeBean dictionary comes to the rescue!
Balin

Postby Insight » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Had the father not wanted to sleep but wanted to do something else, his wife would have been arrested anyways?
Did the father actually fell asleep? Is snoring relevant?
J´s reason to interrupt his father was: something he wanted or needed? something related to the mother? could J have asked his mother instead?
When called by J, did the police knew it was a mistake call by just a kid playing? but then heard the father say "leave me alone" to J And thought that J was in danger or that some violence may occur?
Did J hanged up the call? Is the hanged up quickly or not hanging up at all what alerted the police?
Is the title of the puzzle a clue?
Insight

Postby Balin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Had the father not wanted to sleep but wanted to do something else, his wife would have been arrested anyways? As long as he'd still wanted to be alone, probably Yes
Did the father actually fell asleep? Assume No Is snoring relevant? No
J´s reason to interrupt his father was: something he wanted or needed? Yes/Yope, explore something related to the mother? No could J have asked his mother instead? Yes
When called by J, did the police knew it was a mistake call by just a kid playing? but then heard the father say "leave me alone" to J And thought that J was in danger or that some violence may occur? This is close enough. Because they didn't have confirmation that it was just a kid playing, they had to send someone over, just in case.
Did J hanged up the call? Possibly, but not relevant Is the hanged up quickly or not hanging up at all what alerted the police? No
Is the title of the puzzle a clue? No. It's a Whose Line reference.
Balin

Postby Insight » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:13 am

To clarify: In the house is the room with the phone and the room in which the father was trying to sleep which are different rooms, right?
Where was the mother?: In the room of the phone? In the room in which the father was trying to sleep? In another part of the house?

What John wanted was: an object? a help to do something? to call somebody? a permission? something for his father to do? he wanted to go somewhere?
Did J interrupted his father more than once?
Did J wanted permission to play with the phone?
Did his father actually payed attention to what J wanted?
The fact that his father ignored J´s request is what made J to grab the phone to play?
Insight

Postby Earnest » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:48 am

to be sure...did J need money? was it afternoon? Evening? Morning? If evening, did J want the permission to watch TV later than usual? did J need something directly from his father? Or did he need/want something which involved noise for instance? Or something that was in the room of the father? Was the father directly disturbed from the voice of J or maybe from an item played by J? A stereo? A guitar?

When talking to his father, did J expect to receive an answer? Did he format questions/requests? Or did he need maybe an opinion about something? Was he talking normally or was he rapping/singing? If J formulated a request, did he ask his father something which, if accepted by the father, would have caused the father not to sleep? If so for an hour? Two hours? Some minutes? Few seconds? Was it something that the father could have done had he not decided to be left alone? Was the father already lying on the bed when J formulated the request? Did the need of J require that the father stand up from the bed? Did J need the bed itself?? Was the father mainly disturbed by the insistence of J?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:22 pm

To clarify: In the house is the room with the phone and the room in which the father was trying to sleep which are different rooms, right? Yes
Where was the mother?: In the room of the phone? In the room in which the father was trying to sleep? In another part of the house? Irrel, assume this

What John wanted was: an object? a help to do something? This is somewhat close... to call somebody? a permission? ...and so is this, but none of these something for his father to do? he wanted to go somewhere?
Did J interrupted his father more than once? Possibly, assume No
Did J wanted permission to play with the phone? No
Did his father actually payed attention to what J wanted? No
The fact that his father ignored J´s request is what made J to grab the phone to play? No

to be sure...did J need money? No
was it afternoon? Evening? Morning? Irrel If evening, did J want the permission to watch TV later than usual? No
did J need something directly from his father? Yes (or from his mother) Or did he need/want something which involved noise for instance? No Or something that was in the room of the father? Technically Was the father directly disturbed from the voice of J or maybe from an item played by J? A stereo? A guitar? By John talking

When talking to his father, did J expect to receive an answer? Yes Did he format questions/requests? One question Or did he need maybe an opinion about something? No Was he talking normally or was he rapping/singing? Normally
If J formulated a request, did he ask his father something which, if accepted by the father, would have caused the father not to sleep? Yes If so for an hour? Two hours? Some minutes? Few seconds? This; no more than a minute Was it something that the father could have done had he not decided to be left alone? Yes Was the father already lying on the bed when J formulated the request? Yes Did the need of J require that the father stand up from the bed? Probably Did J need the bed itself?? No Was the father mainly disturbed by the insistence of J? No

Perhaps this timeline will help.

-John is playing on the phone while his father is trying to sleep.
-John calls 911.
-John goes to his father to ask him something, but the father wants to be left alone.
-Because the police cannot confirm that everything is fine at the house, they send an officer.
-That officer discovers the mother has a warrant and arrests her.

The only thing left to figure out is why John went to talk to his father.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:09 pm

oh...very helpful indeed...I was convinced that J called the police after having made the request to his father...

so...relevant what the police asked J? Did they ask J to call his father? Did the police want to talk to J's father to be sure that everything was ok?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:39 pm

oh...very helpful indeed...I was convinced that J called the police after having made the request to his father...

so...relevant what the police asked J? Did they ask J to call his father? Did the police want to talk to J's father to be sure that everything was ok? This.

****SPOILER****

As seen on Reddit:

A 911 call from some little kids playing on the phone. The father was asleep and they kept trying to wake him up when the 911 operator asked to speak to an adult. He kept yelling "No! Leave me alone!" Now we have to send someone since we can't verify there's no emergency.
Upon arrival, officers ask for ID and the mother has a warrant.

Well done Earnest, Insight, Konnie, and whoever I inevitably missed.
Balin

Re: [Balin] (*OUT COLD*) I would sit in the back

Postby Earnest » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:02 pm

Well thanks but without your timeline I wouldn't come up with a solution. However very nice pyzzle!
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles