[Balin] I don't want your drama

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] I don't want your drama

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Several times a week, Ariana tells Sydney she has committed a certain grammatical error, although she has not. Why?
Balin

Re: [Balin] I don't want your drama

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Ariana = H/A/F?
Sydney = H/A/F/M? (darn androgynous names)

First she = Ariana? Second she = Ariana?

Is the relation sheep between the two relevant? Are they friends? Lovers? Family? Colleages (or boss/employee)? Fellow students? Student and teacher/tutor/supervisor?

Is Sydney's reaction to this news relevant? If so - annoyed? indifferent? amused? pleased? horrified? motivated to do better or be more aware?
Is Sydney (or Ariana) making this error in writing? Orally?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:19 pm

Ariana = H/A/F? Late teens to young adult. Yes to H/F
Sydney = H/A/F/M? (darn androgynous names) Same as above, H/F

First she = Ariana? Second she = Ariana? Both refer to Sydney

Is the relation sheep Are NZers required to spell it that way? between the two relevant? Yes Are they friends? Friends, but also... Lovers? Family? Colleages (or boss/employee)? ...no to rest, but this is closest Fellow students? Student and teacher/tutor/supervisor?

Is Sydney's reaction to this news relevant? Not particularly If so - annoyed? indifferent? amused? Probably this pleased? horrified? motivated to do better or be more aware?
Is Sydney (or Ariana) Sydney making this error in writing? Orally? This
Balin

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:38 pm

Ewe got it, Balin

Do they both have the same native tongue? Are they both speaking in the same language? Are they from different countries/backgrounds? Is one of them an exchange student, or some other kind of foreigner billeted?

Are they members of a club or organisation? Toastmasters? Are they working on a newspaper or some other communications-based exercise?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:50 pm

Do they both have the same native tongue? Yes Are they both speaking in the same language? Yes (English) Are they from different countries/backgrounds? Irrel, assume No Is one of them an exchange student, or some other kind of foreigner billeted? Irrel, assume No

Are they members of a club or organisation? Toastmasters? Are they working on a newspaper or some other communications-based exercise? No to these
Balin

Postby Enjay » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:55 pm

Does Ariana actually think Sydney has made the error? Does Sydney believe Ariana when she says that Sydney has made the error?

Is the error a real error, but Sydney hasn't actually made it? Or something that is commonly claimed to be an error, but actually isn't?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:55 pm

Does Ariana actually think Sydney has made the error? No Does Sydney believe Ariana when she says that Sydney has made the error? No

Is the error a real error, but Sydney hasn't actually made it? Yes Or something that is commonly claimed to be an error, but actually isn't?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 pm

Has any of them relevantly made the error earlier? Has someone else? Has any of them made another relevant error?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 am

Oxford comma relevant? Differing rules in differing manuals of style? Is the "error" (which isn't actually an error) written? Verbal?
gregoryuconn

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:02 pm

Has any of them relevantly made the error earlier? No Has someone else? No Has any of them made another relevant error? Yes, Sydney

Oxford comma relevant? No Differing rules in differing manuals of style? No Is the "error" (which isn't actually an error) written? Verbal? The error (which is an error) that Sydney hasn't made can be written or verbal, but I believe is more common in writing
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:37 pm

Is this said to remind of the actual error? To tease? Make fun? Is it an in-joke between them? Is it said so that others relevantly hear it?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Is this said to remind of the actual error? Yes To tease? Make fun? But a little of these as well Is it an in-joke between them? To an extent Is it said so that others relevantly hear it? No
Balin

Postby gregoryuconn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:00 am

Is the error a double negative? A dangling modifier? But perhaps in this case the alleged dangling modifier was actually correct, like if you say "Hiding in the cupboard, I have finally found you": but you really were hiding in the cupboard and popped out and discovered them (as opposed to you finding them while they were hiding in the cupboard) so that's not actually a dangling modifier?
gregoryuconn

Postby Balin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:59 pm

Is the error a double negative? A dangling modifier? This is the stated error, yes
But perhaps in this case the alleged dangling modifier was actually correct, like if you say "Hiding in the cupboard, I have finally found you": but you really were hiding in the cupboard and popped out and discovered them (as opposed to you finding them while they were hiding in the cupboard) so that's not actually a dangling modifier? No
Balin

Postby gregoryuconn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Did she say something with a modifier that was correctly used? Perhaps something that in another context wouldn't have been correct?
gregoryuconn

Postby Balin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:49 pm

Did she say something with a modifier that was correctly used? Perhaps something that in another context wouldn't have been correct? What she said didn't involve modifiers
Balin

Postby Doriana » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:47 pm

Is the other relevant error also a grammatical error?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:14 am

Is the other relevant error also a grammatical error? Yes (with mild svv of "grammatical")
Balin

Postby Doriana » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Title relevant at all? If so, are they actors? in a play? in a musical?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:22 pm

Title relevant at all? There's a relevance, Yes
If so, are they actors? in a play? in a musical? No to all
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:06 am

Sorry for jumping in...

Several times a week = regularly? Every x days? If so, the same days?

Recap, sorry:
If A does not tell S to have committed the error, S would not know that she had, correct? So A voluntarily tells S she had committed the error? And there are more than one error one of which involving modifiers?

Relevant how she tells S she had committed the error? By repeating it? By referring to it? By repeating it in another form? By telling her the specific grammatical error committed?

Relevant their job? Teachers? Is the error an error in the english language? Can the same error maybebe found in an english grammar book? Is the error the pronunciation of a surname? Does A actually makes the error or she just tells S she had even without having committed it? Does she describe also when she commits the mistake? While talking with someone? Are announce at public relevant? Does A she has not committed the error? Did she think she had? Confusion between correct and incorrect usage of words relevant? Does the mistake help S and A distinguishing between two words/situations/people? Does the mistake remind them one person with the same surname/name of another?

Error: are plural vs singular relevant? Negations? Verbs (verbal form? Past?)? Names? Adverbs? Conjunctions (and? Or?)? Capital letters? Particles like: do/does, may/might? Questions? A word for another? Pronunciation? Misspelling?

Did A have an orthodontic appliance but did not want to reveal it so when she talked to Sydney at the phone she fakes the error?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Sorry for jumping in... Don't apologize; it's always nice to have more questions!

Several times a week = regularly? Every x days? Could be anywhere from two to five times a week, exact number isn't relevant If so, the same days? Not necessarily

Recap, sorry:
If A does not tell S to have committed the error, S would not know that she had, correct? So A voluntarily tells S she had committed the error? And there are more than one error one of which involving modifiers? Close. Whenever Sydney commits an error, Ariana tells her she has committed a different error

Relevant how she tells S she had committed the error? Yes By repeating it? No By referring to it? Yes/Yope By repeating it in another form? No By telling her the specific grammatical error committed? No

Relevant their job? Ariana's Teachers? No Is the error an error in the english language? Yes Can the same error maybebe found in an english grammar book? Yes to "stated," less likely so for "committed" Is the error the pronunciation of a surname? No Does A actually makes the error or she just tells S she had even without having committed it? Sydney actually does make the error Does she describe also when she commits the mistake? Since Ariana lets her know right away, technically Yes While talking with someone? Yes, while S&A are talking to each other Are announce at public relevant? No Does A she has not committed the error? Sydney doesn't realize it when she makes the error Did she think she had? She knows she has once Ariana points it out Confusion between correct and incorrect usage of words relevant? No, not if I understand correctly Does the mistake help S and A distinguishing between two words/situations/people? No Does the mistake remind them one person with the same surname/name of another? No

Error: are plural vs singular relevant? Negations? Verbs (verbal form? Past?)? Names? Adverbs? Conjunctions (and? Or?)? Capital letters? Particles like: do/does, may/might? Questions? A word for another? Pronunciation? Misspelling? Yes, the committed error (well, a misspeaking, since the error is committed verbally). The stated error is a dangling participle

Did A have an orthodontic appliance but did not want to reveal it so when she talked to Sydney at the phone she fakes the error? No
Balin

Postby Doriana » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:45 am

Is Ariana in college? Is Sydney? Relevant?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:55 pm

Is Ariana in college? Is Sydney? I see them both as in their later years of high school, but college would work too Relevant? No
Balin

Postby Balin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:09 am

HINT: Ariana has a relevant job.
Balin

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:55 pm

****SPOILER****

Ariana works in a coffee shop; her friend Sydney is a regular customer. Sydney has the habit of pronouncing "espresso" with an X, as "expresso," when ordering. Whenever she does, Ariana tells her, "Your participle's dangling," the next lyric in Weird Al Yankovic's "Word Crimes," to let her know she's made the mistake again.

Okay, now here are some notes
Syntax you’re always mangling
No X in "espresso"
Your participle's dangling

But I don't want your drama
If you really wanna
Leave out that Oxford comma
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles