[raevenclaw] A New Way of Thought {Neologism}

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[raevenclaw] A New Way of Thought {Neologism}

Postby raevenclaw » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:01 am

I have lihaed many times in my life. I have also occasionally halied. What do 'to liha' and 'to hali' mean?

figured i'd start off with a neologism while i continue work on my latventure!
Last edited by raevenclaw on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
raevenclaw

Re: [raevenclaw] A New Way of Thought {Neologism}

Postby Balin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Would it be fair to describe lihaing as an action? Haliing?
Are the two words opposites? Is the difference between the two based on what you do? What the result of your doing them is?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:07 pm

Lies relevant? Is being on the giving vs. receiving end of something relevant?
GalFisk

Postby raevenclaw » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:16 pm

Would it be fair to describe lihaing as an action? Haliing? I would call both an action, but not a physical one.
Are the two words opposites? Yes Is the difference between the two based on what you do? I'd say this. What the result of your doing them is?

Lies relevant? Is being on the giving vs. receiving end of something relevant? Both are irrel.
raevenclaw

Postby Balin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:55 pm

Is lihaing a solo action? Can it be done with another person? Must it?
Does lihaing involve thinking? Speaking?

Same questions for haliing?
Balin

Postby trebor » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:34 am

Are they mental actions? Dreaming?

Are liha and hali anagrams of the same root phrase, etymologically speaking?
trebor

Postby raevenclaw » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:43 am

Is lihaing a solo action? Can it be done with another person? Must it? Strictly speaking, lihaing is almost always a solo action, though I suppose in rare circumstances you could liha with someone else.
Does lihaing involve thinking? Yes. Speaking? You don't have to speak to liha, but I have on occasion spoken while lihaing. Furthermore, if you are lihaing with someone else, it would definitely involve speaking

Same questions for haliing? Mainly the same answers, though it's slightly more likely that you would hali with someone else, and a fair bit more likely you would speak while haliing.

Are they mental actions? Yes... Dreaming? ...but they don't involve this

Are liha and hali anagrams of the same root phrase, etymologically speaking? I came up with 'hali' by swapping the syllables of 'liha', so yes.
raevenclaw

Postby GalFisk » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:07 am

Same q's for both: Ideas relevant? Creativity? Problem solving? Introvertion? Friendship? Love? Struggles?
GalFisk

Postby raevenclaw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:16 am

Same q's for both: Ideas relevant? Creativity? Some of this. Problem solving? Very much so, yes Introvertion? Friendship? Love? Struggles? No to the rest.
raevenclaw

Postby GalFisk » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:25 am

Lateral puzzles relevant? Math problems? Making decisions with a coin toss or other random outcome generator?
GalFisk

Postby hoodie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:53 pm

So the difference between the two opposites lies in what you do mentally? If so, are they opposite modes of problem solving? inductive vs. deductive logic?
hoodie

Postby raevenclaw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Lateral puzzles relevant? Math problems? Making decisions with a coin toss or other random outcome generator? No to all of these

So the difference between the two opposites lies in what you do mentally? Actually, no. If so, are they opposite modes of problem solving? inductive vs. deductive logic? So no to these as well

Also, a bit of a BLOOPER: I said one is more likely to speak if haliing than lihaing, which isn't the case. What is more likely is speaking if lihaing or haliing when doing so with or around someone else.
raevenclaw

Postby trebor » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:55 pm

Do you liha/hali at work? At home? In transit? At another place? Is either action confined to a particular place in your life? Are they related to solving the same problem each time? Related problems? Unrelated problems?
trebor

Postby raevenclaw » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:22 am

Do you liha/hali at work? At home? In transit? At another place? Is either action confined to a particular place in your life? You can liha or hali anywhere Are they related to solving the same problem each time? Related problems? Unrelated problems? Sort of related to solving the same problem, in that you cannot both liha and hali on the same problem at the same time
raevenclaw

Postby trebor » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:10 am

Is the problem akin to an obstacle one would encounter with anger/annoyance? Is it the sort of problem one willfully tests oneself with, such as a sodoku or crossword?
trebor

Postby raevenclaw » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:38 pm

Is the problem akin to an obstacle one would encounter with anger/annoyance? This one. Is it the sort of problem one willfully tests oneself with, such as a sodoku or crossword?
raevenclaw

Postby Balin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Thinking aloud involved?
Balin

Postby trebor » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:56 am

Do you liha daily? Weekly? Yearly? When you liha, is it always over the same thing?
trebor

Postby raevenclaw » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:50 am

Thinking aloud involved? Yes, in that if you speak while liha/haliing it would involve thinking aloud. Otherwise, no.

Do you liha daily? Weekly? Yearly? When you liha, is it always over the same thing? I liha at irregular intervals, and it is almost never over the same thing.
raevenclaw

Postby trebor » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:08 pm

Do they involve opposing methods of solving a problem? Does one involve creating a problem? Does one of them involve: having to reschedule things? Mental reorganization? Giving up?
trebor

Postby raevenclaw » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:28 am

Do they involve opposing methods of solving a problem? Does one involve creating a problem? No, but continue to explore how they're opposites! Does one of them involve: having to reschedule things? Mental reorganization? Giving up? No to all of these
raevenclaw

Postby GalFisk » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:50 am

Thinking vs feeling relevant? Being spontaneous vs deliberating? Being reactive vs proactive? Having one's mood affect how one reacts to a situation?
GalFisk

Postby raevenclaw » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:45 am

Thinking vs feeling relevant? Being spontaneous vs deliberating? Being reactive vs proactive? Having one's mood affect how one reacts to a situation? Most of these are irrelevant, but lihaing does involve reacting to a situation, though that may be misleading
raevenclaw

Postby irishelk » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:45 pm

Is one of the words a method of solving a problem, and the other something else? If so, is the other: deciding not to solve the problem? Mentally reframing it as not a problem? Taking a step toward a solution? Ignoring something? The initial mental reaction to a problem (e.g., the anger/annoyance itself)?

Are any of the following related to one of the words: making pro-vs-con lists? Making other comparisons? Other lists? Considering hypothetical situations? Considering what another would do in your shoes? Considering morality/ethics? Praying? Meditating? Trying to remember something? Using a counting rhyme/song to make a choice (e.g. "my mother told me to pick the best one and you are it")?
irishelk

Postby raevenclaw » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:42 pm

Is one of the words a method of solving a problem, and the other something else? Haliing is definitely a method of solving a problem. Lihaing...could technically be considered solving a problem, but I wouldn't consider it so. If so, is the other: deciding not to solve the problem? Mentally reframing it as not a problem? Taking a step toward a solution? Ignoring something? The initial mental reaction to a problem (e.g., the anger/annoyance itself)?

Are any of the following related to one of the words: making pro-vs-con lists? Making other comparisons? Other lists? Considering hypothetical situations? Considering what another would do in your shoes? Considering morality/ethics? Praying? Meditating? Trying to remember something? Using a counting rhyme/song to make a choice (e.g. "my mother told me to pick the best one and you are it")? None of these are relevant
raevenclaw

Postby GalFisk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:34 am

Can you hali any problem? If not, can you hali a math problem? A conflict? Global warming? Poverty? Having forgotten where you put your keys?
GalFisk

Postby raevenclaw » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:16 am

Can you hali any problem? No. If not, can you hali a math problem? There are some math problems where you could hali A conflict? Global warming? Poverty? Having forgotten where you put your keys? No to the rest.
raevenclaw

Postby GalFisk » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:05 am

Can you hali a puzzle? A logical puzzle? Lateral puzzle? Rubik's cube? A sudoku? Crossword puzzle? Can you hali a crime in order to solve it?
Last edited by GalFisk on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:45 pm

Does one of them involve hindsight? Can you hali or liha a physical problem (such as an obstacle blocking your path, furniture not fitting through a doorway, etc.)?

Does lihaing involve doing things in the reverse order to what you would if you were haliing?
trebor

Postby raevenclaw » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:19 am

Can you hali a puzzle? A logical puzzle? Lateral puzzle? Rubik's cube? A sudoku? Crossword puzzle? Can you hali a crime in order to solve it? While you might be able to hali the puzzles, I would consider it fairly unlikely. Haliing a crime to solve it is almost certainly impossible.

Does one of them involve hindsight? Liha very much involves hindsight! Can you hali or liha a physical problem (such as an obstacle blocking your path, furniture not fitting through a doorway, etc.)? Yes

Does lihaing involve doing things in the reverse order to what you would if you were haliing? Yep!
raevenclaw

Postby GalFisk » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:13 pm

Does haliing involve moving something? Disassembly? Do you liha after haliing was unsuccessful? Or strenous? Or injurious? Or otherwise unwise?
GalFisk

Postby raevenclaw » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Does haliing involve moving something? Disassembly? No to both. Do you liha after haliing was unsuccessful? While you can liha after unsuccessfully haliing (and in fact, must fail at haliing to liha), you don't always. Or strenous? Or injurious? Or otherwise unwise?
raevenclaw

Postby GalFisk » Sun May 05, 2019 7:29 am

Relevant how the thing became a problem in the first place? Does lihaing involve other people? Does hailing? Can you liha to find your lost keys? Or hali?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Sun May 05, 2019 1:44 pm

Can you liha to compensate hali? Does haling contrast lihaing? Contrast the results achieved by lihaing? Can you liha a minute after having haling?
Do people usually liha more often tha haling? Do you? If so is there a specific reason?
Have you lihaed/halied mainly in particular situations? Have you done it mainly for fun? Because it was required? Because a mental effort was required?

Is forward and backward reasonament involved? Speeding up and slowing down? Do lihaing and hali involve movements?

While you can liha after unsuccessfully haliing (and in fact, must fail at haliing to liha), you don't always. --> is it because lihaing involves not reversible actions while hailing sometimes does? Are physical changes involved? Moving from a state to another (e.g. liquid to gas)? Burning? Freezing? Is it something invlving the passing of time? Looking at the solution of something? Impossibility of going back? Yoga? Relaxation? Playing a game? Reading alone?
Earnest

Postby raevenclaw » Sat May 11, 2019 3:31 am

oof, apologies for the late replies! it's finals week and i have had approximately 0 time for non-school things lately. should be working on an essay rn honestly (thus lack of colors and short answers) but i needed a break. let me know if i accidentally skipped something bc as said, am kinda rushing this

Relevant how the thing became a problem in the first place? No. Does lihaing involve other people? Does hailing? Other people don't prevent it, but aren't likely to be involved. Can you liha to find your lost keys? No. Or hali? Yes.

Can you liha to compensate hali? No. Does haling contrast lihaing? Yes Contrast the results achieved by lihaing? Not necessarily Can you liha a minute after having haling? No
Do people usually liha more often tha haling? I would imagine so Do you? I certainly liha more than haling If so is there a specific reason? Yes, and I would explore this
Have you lihaed/halied mainly in particular situations? Have you done it mainly for fun? Because it was required? Because a mental effort was required? DOYD of 'mental effort', it is definitely involved in haling, and not in lihaing.

Is forward and backward reasonament involved? Speeding up and slowing down? Do lihaing and hali involve movements? No to all

While you can liha after unsuccessfully haliing (and in fact, must fail at haliing to liha), you don't always. --> is it because lihaing involves not reversible actions while hailing sometimes does? The other way around, actually Are physical changes involved? Moving from a state to another (e.g. liquid to gas)? Burning? Freezing? Is it something invlving the passing of time? Yes! Explore this. Looking at the solution of something? Impossibility of going back? Yoga? Relaxation? Playing a game? Reading alone?
raevenclaw

Postby Earnest » Sat May 11, 2019 7:07 am

Being lazy relevant? Passing of time = quick passing of time? Timer relevant? Do you measure the passing of time? Passing of minutes? Hours? Days? Is there a fixed amount of time? Do you take account of the passing of time? Do others? Clocks relevant? Phones?
Accomplishing a task in a certain amount of time relevant?

Is lihaing simpler than haling in that it requires less efforts? Less struggle? Less time?
Does haling contrast lihaing because thinking is involeved in haling and not in lihaing? So that by definition of lihaing, if someone thinks he/she does not liha? Do you liha every day? Would haling require too much time?
Is trial and error relevant (e.g. saying words/numbers untike the desired answer is reached in a game vs reasoning about the answer)?

Do you liha mainly when you feel stressed? Depressed? Anxious? Happy? Tired? Curious? Wanting to challenge yourself? Annoyed? Bored? Others?
Earnest

Postby raevenclaw » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:06 am

i have returned! and, more importantly, i have graduated! sorry for the long absence but given said graduation, i should be able to reply a lot more promptly now!
Being lazy relevant? No Passing of time = quick passing of time? Timer relevant? No Do you measure the passing of time? No Passing of minutes? Hours? Days? Is there a fixed amount of time? No, but it is most likely to be on the order of hours Do you take account of the passing of time? Do others? Clocks relevant? Phones? No to all
Accomplishing a task in a certain amount of time relevant? No

Is lihaing simpler than haling in that it requires less efforts? I would say this Less struggle? Less time?
Does haling contrast lihaing because thinking is involeved in haling and not in lihaing? No So that by definition of lihaing, if someone thinks he/she does not liha? No, in fact, whether you liha or hali with a problem, you think of the same thing Do you liha every day? Would haling require too much time? No to both
Is trial and error relevant (e.g. saying words/numbers untike the desired answer is reached in a game vs reasoning about the answer)? No

Do you liha mainly when you feel stressed? Depressed? Anxious? Happy? Tired? Curious? Wanting to challenge yourself? Annoyed? Bored? Others? While there is no particular emotion I feel before lihaing, I always feel annoyed after lihaing.
raevenclaw

Postby trebor » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:24 pm

Congratulations on your graduation! With what degree have you graduated?

The reason for you lihaing more often than haliing, is it related to you being (until recently) a student? To your job? To a hobby of yours? To any pets/friends/family/romantic partners of yours?

Do you experience regret when you liha? Is coming up with a better way to do something in the future relevant to lihaing? To haliing?

Stabbing at it more randomly, does the "l" in liha stand for "look/looking"?
trebor

Postby raevenclaw » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:41 am

Congratulations on your graduation! With what degree have you graduated? thanks! i've got a degree in economics!

The reason for you lihaing more often than haliing, is it related to you being (until recently) a student? To your job? To a hobby of yours? To any pets/friends/family/romantic partners of yours? No to all.

Do you experience regret when you liha? A bit, yes. Is coming up with a better way to do something in the future relevant to lihaing? Not necessarily "coming up with", but "a better way to do something" is very much relevant, yes! To haliing? Less so with haliing.

Stabbing at it more randomly, does the "l" in liha stand for "look/looking"? No, and liha isn't a true acronym.
raevenclaw

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:39 pm

Does liha involve realizing something after some action? Realizing that you could have done something a different/better way? Does liha involve hindsight while hali involves something more like foresight?
Hobbsicle

Postby raevenclaw » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:27 am

Does liha involve realizing something after some action? Yes...Realizing that you could have done something a different/better way? ...yes... Does liha involve hindsight while hali involves something more like foresight? ...and yes!

You've got it spot on, which means time for a

**** SPOILER ****

To liha is to realize some time after doing something that there was a trick or way of doing the thing that would have made it much easier or more convenient. To hali is to do the trick or more convenient way in the first place. The word is based off the first syllables of life hack, which is what I usually remember when I liha.

Thanks to Balin, GalFisk, trebor, hoodie, irishelk, and Earnest for the questions, and Hobbsicle for the solve! I had a great time with my first puzzle back on the forum, even if I did drop the ball on replying a couple of times! I'm also currently running a latventure, so if you want to check that out, I'd love some responses on that!
raevenclaw

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles